Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Cashless society

It doesn't matter whether I intend using cash or my card if the business says it is cashless I walk out and I tell them why.

As an aside, the businesses which were most ridiculous during covid have all gone broke.

Case in point the Cellarbrations bottle shop in Guildford started asking for photo ID to be able to enter the shop, with all the repugnant attitude of a Gestapo interrogater.

Gave the idiot a massive serve and walked out. I know several people that did the same. That business most deservedly went broke.

I simply do not believe that businesses that are cashless, like idiots that behaved like arseholes during covid, aren't reducing their revenue, from people avoiding their business all together and probably in perpetuity.

I personally will never go into such businesses ever again and I hope they go broke and lose their f****** homes.

Case in point the Cellarbrations bottle shop in Guildford started asking for photo ID to be able to enter the shop, with all the repugnant attitude of a Gestapo interrogater.
are you one of those people who look remarkably young ?

only once have i been asked about that in a licenced venue ( even when i was 12/13 ) and bizarrely i was around 55 at the time , my buddy ( who was 15 and bigger than any of the security ambled by unasked )

in fact some venues the lead singer and some band members were only 14 (ish )

are you one of those people who look remarkably young ?

only once have i been asked about that in a licenced venue ( even when i was 12/13 ) and bizarrely i was around 55 at the time , my buddy ( who was 15 and bigger than any of the security ambled by unasked )

in fact some venues the lead singer and some band members were only 14 (ish )
Haha, I wish. Nah the guy just a statist who would have loved a black uniform and a special little armband.

It doesn't matter whether I intend using cash or my card if the business says it is cashless I walk out and I tell them why.

As an aside, the businesses which were most ridiculous during covid have all gone broke.

Gave the idiot a massive serve and walked out. I know several people that did the same. That business most deservedly went broke.

I simply do not believe that businesses that are cashless, like idiots that behaved like arseholes during covid, aren't reducing their revenue, from people avoiding their business all together and probably in perpetuity.

I personally will never go into such businesses ever again and I hope they go broke and lose their f****** homes.
I feel the same way. If a business is cashless I'll never shop there and they don't seem to last long.

I feel the same way. If a business is cashless I'll never shop there and they don't seem to last long.
Why wouldn’t you shop at a cashless business?

Most people have cards on them these days, so when faced with a cashless business will just pull out a card, or their phone/watch.

But, a growing number of people don’t carry cash, so when faced with a cash only business will probably walk away.

I think it’s cash only businesses that won’t last long, and considering people that only want to use cash are generally boomers it’s probably the cash only people themselves that won’t last long.

Why wouldn’t you shop at a cashless business?

Most people have cards on them these days, so when faced with a cashless business will just pull out a card, or their phone/watch.

But, a growing number of people don’t carry cash, so when faced with a cash only business will probably walk away.

I think it’s cash only businesses that won’t last long, and considering people that only want to use cash are generally boomers it’s probably the cash only people themselves that won’t last long.
Carrying cash on yourself for everything you buy is certainly an inconvenience but some small businesses rely on it. ;)

Carrying cash on yourself for everything you buy is certainly an inconvenience but some small businesses rely on it. ;)
Maybe, but as a former small business owner, I always found eftpos far better, less trips to the bank, and the money goes straight into my account and is available for paying bills the next day, I could knock off at 5 and actually go home, without having to worry about banking and sorting out change for the next days till.

do you know how awkward it was if your first 5 people of the day come in wanting to use $50 notes and clean you out of all your change? as a solo operator you had to shut the doors and dash to the bank or a neighbour begging for change.

Maybe, but as a former small business owner, I always found eftpos far better, less trips to the bank, and the money goes straight into my account and is available for paying bills the next day, I could knock off at 5 and actually go home, without having to worry about banking and sorting out change for the next days till.

do you know how awkward it was if your first 5 people of the day come in wanting to use $50 notes and clean you out of all your change? as a solo operator you had to shut the doors and dash to the bank or a neighbour begging for change.
I ran a cash-only business for years pre-2007, except for cheques for large transactions and I used to bank at one of the most notorious banks for armed hold ups. Only went to the bank once a week and my turnover was over 250K a year. You just got to organise yourself, if I didn't have the correct change I would ask a business in the same street to change it

I ran a cash-only business for years pre-2007, except for cheques for large transactions and I used to bank at one of the most notorious banks for armed hold ups. Only went to the bank once a week and my turnover was over 250K a year. You just got to organise yourself, if I didn't have the correct change I would ask a business in the same street to change it

Exactly. It’s not that hard to handle cash, and to bank it.

My business used to have to bank once every week, it wasn’t a problem. It actually allowed one of us to have a break from the usual.

Now that most transactions are cashless I go to the bank every few months, mainly because I don’t need to top up the account with the cash to pay bills, so I just let the cash build up until I feel like going to the bank.

I like the idea of having ready access to my cash, and not bothered that I’m not getting a little interest on it in the bank.

Any business person that has an issue with cash is a person missing some business sense. Any decent business person will accept any form of payment.

My friends and I stopped our regular visits to a few businesses that changed to cashless, we still dropped in but our purchases dropped by 75%. Within two years those businesses are accepting cash again.

Exactly. It’s not that hard to handle cash, and to bank it.

My business used to have to bank once every week, it wasn’t a problem. It actually allowed one of us to have a break from the usual.

Now that most transactions are cashless I go to the bank every few months, mainly because I don’t need to top up the account with the cash to pay bills, so I just let the cash build up until I feel like going to the bank.

I like the idea of having ready access to my cash, and not bothered that I’m not getting a little interest on it in the bank.

Any business person that has an issue with cash is a person missing some business sense. Any decent business person will accept any form of payment.

My friends and I stopped our regular visits to a few businesses that changed to cashless, we still dropped in but our purchases dropped by 75%. Within two years those businesses are accepting cash again.
I can't believe some of the holiday islands in Qld are going cashless, it's going to catch out many disgruntled tourists. The day trippers will save money and spend it back on the mainland.

hamilton-island.jpg

If my business was cash only, I would have gone out of business, but I could have easily been cashless.

In fact even just accepting American Express, which my close nearby competitor didn’t, brought in $1000’s of extra sales each month.

Last edited:
I can't believe some of the holiday islands in Qld are going cashless, it's going to catch out many disgruntled tourists. The day trippers will save money and spend it back on the mainland.

View attachment 175674
Who doesn’t travel with a card? (Or watch or phone?)

I mean even people that use cash still carry around cards so they get money out of ATM’s don’t they? A cashless business is just saving the customer a trip to the ATM.

————————————
But for an Island I imagine being cashless has a lot of advantages, given that banking the cash probably involves shipping the cash back to a bank on the mainland.

I mean even people that use cash still carry around cards so they get money out of ATM’s don’t they? A cashless business is just saving the customer a trip to the ATM.

————————————
But for an Island I imagine being cashless has a lot of advantages, given that banking the cash probably involves shipping the cash back to a bank on the mainland.
I usually travel with both, but using cards in someplaces can become a bit dogey especially when you're a foriener. Cards are also unreliable for many reasons and I've got no intention of using a phone or watch to pay anything.

————————————
I found smart watches absolutely useless on cruises, if you are moving through time zones.
I have a top of the line smart watch sitting at home, biggest waste of money I've ever spent, apart from some crap shares I've bought over time. Lol
Give me a nice mechanical automatic watch any day.

I usually travel with both, but using cards in someplaces can become a bit dogey especially when you're a foriener. Cards are also unreliable for many reasons and I've got no intention of using a phone or watch to pay anything.
Paying with your phone or watch is the safest way to pay, why would you avoid it?

You should give it a go.

I found smart watches absolutely useless on cruises, if you are moving through time zones.
I have a top of the line smart watch sitting at home, biggest waste of money I've ever spent, apart from some crap shares. Lol
Give me a nice mechanical automatic watch any day.
Not sure what the problem you had was, but with the Apple Watch it automatically changes the time just like your phone does, or if your phone is on airplane mode, you can manually change it using the app.

Or even better, if you are travelling you can change the watch face to show a few time zones, for example before I left on a recent holiday I set the phone to show London time, but had Singapore and Sydney so I knew the time at home and at the layover.

Check out this face, it’s just one of many, but you can see it shows 5 time zones at once, you can select which you want to show, and you can just hold down and swipe the watch face to go back to other ones if you get sick of looking at one type.

IMG_1453.jpeg

Not sure what the problem you had was, but with the Apple Watch it automatically changes the time just like your phone does, or if your phone is on airplane mode, you can manually change it using the app.

Or even better, if you are travelling you can change the watch face to show a few time zones, for example before I left on a recent holiday I set the phone to show London time, but had Singapore and Sydney so I knew the time at home and at the layover.

Check out this face, it’s just one of many, but you can see it shows 5 time zones at once, you can select which you want to show, and you can just hold down and swipe the watch face to go back to other ones if you get sick of looking at one type.

View attachment 175680
Yes well my phone is connected to the ships wifi and it doesn't change until the ship changes it, which doesn't always coincide with when you have ordered roomservice and your wake up alarm for breakfast.
With my automatic watch, they say move your clock on one hour, I pull out the crown move it on 1 hour push it back in, Bob's your uncle, done.
No batteries, no charging, no stress.

Last edited:
Yes well my phone is connected to the ships wifi and it doesn't change until the ship changes it, which doesn't always coincide with when you have ordered roomservice and your wake up alarm for breakfast.
With my automatic watch, they say move your clock on one hour, I pull out the crown move it on 1 hour push it back in, Bob's your uncle, done.
No batteries, no charging, no stress.
Yeah, with the Apple Watch you just adjust the time with the app, and Robert’s yours Mothers Brother.

Sure you have to charge it, but it’s also a lot more than a watch.

It’s happening boys and girls, I am currently travelling across the corn fields of the USA, and even in the rural USA the hotel I checked into in a town known as the corn milling centre of the USA has gone Cashless.

Even tips to the cleaners are now digital, you scan a QR code in your room and pay your tip.

IMG_1463.jpeg