Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Cashless society

It’s happening boys and girls, I am currently travelling across the corn fields of the USA, and even in the rural USA the hotel I checked into in a town known as the corn milling centre of the USA has gone Cashless.

Even tips to the cleaners are now digital, you scan a QR code in your room and pay your tip.

View attachment 175726
Abundance of guns and crime so no surprises. US is one place I would use cashless. They actually have palm print scanning in some places. You just register your palm print.

Tuesday night I had to go to the chemist and decided to have dinner out as well with my wife. The car park had one of those machines that accepts cards or gold coins, I needed $18 to cover the time required and I did not have that much in coin. Pulled out my card, pressed all the buttons, contacting bank, connection failure. Try again, same thing, try two more times, not working.

I had to scrounge for every gold coin and managed to scrape together $12, that had to do.

Yep, a cashless society is going to make life so much easier and stress free. Not.

I guess this bloke won't be using the cashless system that often.

View attachment 176101
Once I paid with a $50 note, the cashier gave me change for a $20, I walked out came back in 10 seconds later and was told nothing could be done, but if there was $30 over at the end of the day they would call me.

At least with digital transactions you have evidence and a paper trail.

Once I paid with a $50 note, the cashier gave me change for a $20, I walked out came back in 10 seconds later and was told nothing could be done, but if there was $30 over at the end of the day they would call me.

Most places have CTV these days, everything is recorded even cash till balances.

Most places have CTV these days, everything is recorded even cash till balances.
i wouldn’t say most, but it would still result in the same situations eg “comeback later once the manager has counted the till and reviewed the footage”

if the manager is available to review footage and count the till, they can also sort out digital payments in the same time frame, or quicker.

I purchased an item once at bunnings, paying cash and lost receipt ..just gave time and day , till and they easily found me back with item to exchange clearly visible and paid by frog got reimbursed...
For once, these video camera where useful😊 and cash worked as well as CC

especially.

A week ago , bought petrol, $71, and went to pay. Machines were down and they were struggling to get it back up. They rang a direct hotline and booted, rebooted;, probably even turned it OFF and then ON. A few times

Meantime , queue firmed so another dude appeared from out back and said "Anyone with cash". I only had $65; dommage.

Some non cash quys were getting stroppy, and the manager just pointed to the cameras and said "Don't even think about a runner"

Fifteen minutes and all sorted. But oh, these busy lives we all lead. Customers just anxious to pay and move on to the next thing (the road, the job, the family)

What about the shop security camera ?

And then watch the banks compete for profits by increasing the fees on small transactions while decreasing the fees for larger transactions. Which consumers will benefit?
@JohnDe Hmmm I going to have to think about this one for a while.
Got it, the big end of town will surely be the winner.

Most staff won’t have access to that, since it’s there to watch them too, so you would still likely have to wait.

but in my case it was years ago, before cameras were so common.
Ah OK, an anecdote from years past.
Nowadays with in store cameras the issue would be solved within a few hours, with a lawyer on board, or social media exposure.
Sorry fior your loss, years ago, but it was awhile ago.

I purchased an item once at bunnings, paying cash and lost receipt ..just gave time and day , till and they easily found me back with item to exchange clearly visible and paid by frog got reimbursed...
For once, these video camera where useful😊 and cash worked as well as CC
Ah OK, an anecdote from years past.
Nowadays with in store cameras the issue would be solved within a few hours, with a lawyer on board, or social media exposure.
Sorry fior your loss, years ago, but it was awhile ago.
I have no doubt the problem would be solved, I just saying it wouldn’t be solved any quicker than the digital transaction problem would be, both cash and digital transactions have potential issues that might arise.