Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Thanks spooly i watched all of them and it hasn`t clicked for me yet.I`m getting the basics of the Standard Model worked out.

Q. How did the scientists come to the conclusion that there should be a Higgs particle?

A. Since the Standard Model says that all particles are massless, which is wrong, one had to extend the Standard Model. This mathematical extension by professor Higgs made it possible to have particles with mass, but it also predicts that it should exist another particle, the Higgs particle.

Also this explanation is fairly easy to understand ...

In short, the Higgs field is the closest thing to the pop term "the fabric of space". The Higgs field supposedly causes a form of "drag" on matter, and thus is the source of the property of mass.

The Standard Model (cor :p:)

Attachments

• qua.gif
    qua.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 44
Wys, You might also say the Higg's bosun is what gives matter it's 'mass'.

The preferred name for the God particle among physicists is the Higgs boson, or the Higgs particle, or simply the Higgs, in honor of the University of Edinburgh physicist Peter Higgs, who proposed its existence more than 40 years ago. Most physicists believe that there must be a Higgs field that pervades all space; the Higgs particle would be the carrier of the field and would interact with other particles, sort of the way a Jedi knight in Star Wars is the carrier of the "force." The Higgs is a crucial part of the standard model of particle physics—but no one's ever found it.

Theoretical physicist John Ellis is one of the CERN scientists searching for the Higgs. He works amid totemic stacks of scientific papers that seem to defy the normal laws of gravity. He has long, gray hair and a long, white beard and, with all due respect, looks as if he belongs on a mountaintop in Tibet. Ellis explains that the Higgs field, in theory, is what gives fundamental particles mass. He offers an analogy: Different fundamental particles, he says, are like a crowd of people running through mud. Some particles, like quarks, have big boots that get covered with lots of mud; others, like electrons, have little shoes that barely gather any mud at all. Photons don't wear shoes—they just glide over the top of the mud without picking any up. And the Higgs field is the mud.

Maybe this Wys :)

"The first thing to realize about the ether is its absolute
continuity. A deep sea fish has probably no means of
apprehending the existence of water; it is too uniformly
immersed in it: and that is our condition in regard to the
ether."
Sir Oliver Lodge

OMFG :horse:

The world's biggest and most expensive scientific experiment has been hit by a last minute legal challenge, amid claims that the research could bring about the end of the world.
Opponents of the project had hoped to obtain an injunction from the European Court of Human Rights that would block the collider from being turned on at all, but the court rejected the application on Friday morning. However, the court will rule on allegations that the experiment violates the right to life under the European Convention of Human Rights.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...N-atom-smasher-from-destroying-the-world.html

Attachments

• omfg.jpg
    omfg.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 133
I second that OMFG!!!

What I don't understand is how these teeny tiny particles can create gravity, well enough 'G' force to attract/affect other particles. I'm of the understanding you need a massive object, like an asteroid the size of Tassie or something (the gravity created by an object this size would be negligible eh?).

I suppose 'in theory' if one such hole was created, then a cascade effect could take place... :eek: Even so I'd assume particles are colliding all around us and creating these micro black holes, every where, every day, but we'll never ever know as 'in theory' there will be no information to tell us that they're there.

Lol
Hey Spooly
Having watched 3.5 of those 5 youtubes ( it continues in my headphones as I type) - I say ...

put it to the ultimate test !!!

a Jury of 12 fair men and true ... !!! (like my drinking mates for instance)

Let them listen to the good Prof Kim Griest of UCSD Division of Physical Sciences !!! ... and let them decide if it will result in the end ofthe world as we know it !!

lol

sheesh - I had some problems with statements like the one below .... (maybe I misunderstood ... I challenge you to find a double meaning to this quote ... in fact (as Kenneth Horne said ) "I challenge you to find any meaning to this" lol

"if you could control the Higgs field, it would discombobulate ... " :confused:

As long as you understand it mate lol.

I second that OMFG!!!

What I don't understand is how these teeny tiny particles can create gravity, well enough 'G' force to attract/affect other particles. I'm of the understanding you need a massive object, like an asteroid the size of Tassie or something (the gravity created by an object this size would be negligible eh?).

The tiny particles have mass, and where there's mass there's gravity.
At the scale of atoms though, any gravitational effects would be overwhelmed by the other forces.

I suppose 'in theory' if one such hole was created, then a cascade effect could take place... :eek: Even so I'd assume particles are colliding all around us and creating these micro black holes, every where, every day, but we'll never ever know as 'in theory' there will be no information to tell us that they're there.

Here is a Q&A with a CERN physicist and below is his answer to the doomsday scenario....good site.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/bigbang/asktheexpert.shtml

"The LHC has absolutely no chance of destroying anything bigger than a few protons, let alone the Earth. This is not based on theoretical assumptions.

It is, of course, essential that all scientific research at the frontiers of knowledge, from genetics to particle physics, is subjected to the most rigorous scrutiny to ensure that our voyages into the unknown do not result in unforeseen, perhaps dangerous outcomes. CERN, and indeed all research establishments, do this routinely and to the satisfaction of their host governments. In the case of the LHC, a report in plain English is available here:

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/LHC/Safety-en.html
cont.......
"

Lol

sheesh - I had some problems with statements like the one below .... (maybe I misunderstood ... I challenge you to find a double meaning to this quote ... in fact (as Kenneth Horne said ) "I challenge you to find any meaning to this" lol

Yeah, he got a bit excited there!
Imagine that you could turn off the Higgs fiels in a particular space.
Because the higgs gives the fundamental particles (matter) mass .... with no mass (in a particular space), anything in that space would travel at the speed of light ...or discombobulate :) :eek:

Yeah, he got a bit excited there!
Imagine that you could turn off the Higgs fiels in a particular space.
Because the higgs gives the fundamental particles (matter) mass .... with no mass (in a particular space), anything in that space would travel at the speed of light ...or discombobulate :) :eek:

ahh that's so much clearer lol - you're a classic spooly !! lol

gotta feeling I'm gonna discombobulate off to bed soon ;)

At the scale of atoms though, any gravitational effects would be overwhelmed by the other forces.
My thoughts exactly. :) In essence, nuclear forces and electromagnetism play a more important role than some seemingly infinitely squished protons and neutrons?
Here is a Q&A with a CERN physicist and below is his answer to the doomsday scenario....good site.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/bigbang/asktheexpert.shtml
Tis a good site, my assumption about possible micro black holes occurring all the time seems to be correct. :) (If they occur at all)

So...

Anything that has mass, including protons, will 'warp' space time (gravity). If the Higgs is what 'creates' this mass, then this may help amalgamate the theory's of relativity and quantum mechanics. Something no one has done, apart from Mr Hawking and his thermal radiation.

All this is very cool.

]In essence, nuclear forces and electromagnetism play a more important role than some seemingly infinitely squished protons and neutrons?
Make that electrons and positrons and whatever else they can throw around :);)

Something I found while researching the cosmological constant-
Are we giving up because it's too complicated? or is there a creator?

This is a bit long but a good listen....

and another good listen...

Perhaps this belongs in the "is there a god" thread.

The more I think about it :eek: the more I tend to believe it is no "freak occurence" that this perfectly positioned planet came out of a big bang.It is understandable that billions of humans believe in a god creating life because there is just no comparitive life to prove otherwise.:)sigh: feels alone in the universe again) Sadly confined in this small mind, wanting to be more, yet restricted by the very thing that wants to know.

They showed a special about the CERN thingy this evening on the Beeb; fascinating stuff!

So they're after the Higg's Bozon(?)?

It was refreshing to hear scientists discussing both the virtues and the problems with the current theories, very enlightening and faith in science restoring. (problems with the standard model equation etc)

A massive undertaking in science and engineering. Good luck to them.

Sounds like you may have watched the Horizon program.. which is the best I`ve seen so far on this project.
Heavy on the scientific nature of the LHC and light on the doomsday scenarios ...unlike the nonsense being pumped everyelse.

Small media at Large :banghead: :banghead:

Attachments

• doom1.jpg
    doom1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 70
  • doom2.jpg
    doom2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 43
Off topice here :topic
I'm hoping not to be discriminatory here but why is it that Professor Stephen Hawking reminds me of Dr Stranglove? Perhaps it is because Dr Strangelove was also infallible.

Sounds like you may have watched the Horizon program.. which is the best I`ve seen so far on this project.
Heavy on the scientific nature of the LHC and light on the doomsday scenarios ...unlike the nonsense being pumped everyelse.

Small media at Large :banghead: :banghead:

The Sun.... haha... that paper is just unspeakably embarrassing.

Maybe they should wait till 2012 to switch it on to prove the Mayan prophesy was correct.
29nusee.gif

Attachments

• 29nusee.gif
    29nusee.gif
    690 bytes · Views: 14