Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

It's a fine juggling political speech. He walked his way through rather well.

Yes, daring at times regarding female education - they clapped I hope they follow up with action.

Yes... He is not an egotist who sets out to show "I am the greatest".

Muslim women believe in their head-dress, which Barack justified as their choice, but they also believe in education which should give the Taliban a run!

Since this email came it's been interesting to see Republicans seeking fault in this woman purely for political gain IMO... taking her quotes out of context. Yet of late there have been some actually acquiescing on her qualifications.

I so miss David E Kelly's Boston Legal and its acute social issues now it's done.
Maybe now Barack's at the helm he feels he doesn't need to draw public attention to social ineptitudes in the US?

The last episode focused on the fallibility of the Supreme Court by nature of the wisdom and common sense of its members and their ability to interpret the law and judge!

Barack's video is well worth a look.

Sent: Wednesday, 27 May 2009 8:05 AM
To: Doris *******
Subject: My Supreme Court nominee

Doris --

I am proud to announce my nominee for the next Justice of the United States Supreme Court: Judge Sonia Sotomayor.

This decision affects us all -- and so it must involve us all. I've recorded a special message to personally introduce Judge Sotomayor and explain why I'm so confident she will make an excellent Justice.

Judge Sotomayor has lived the America Dream. Born and raised in a South Bronx housing project, she distinguished herself in academia and then as a hard-charging New York District Attorney.

Judge Sotomayor has gone on to earn bipartisan acclaim as one of America's finest legal minds. As a Supreme Court Justice, she would bring more federal judicial experience to the Supreme Court than any Justice in 100 years. Judge Sotomayor would show fidelity to our Constitution and draw on a common-sense understanding of how the law affects our day-to-day lives.

A nomination for a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the land is one of the most important decisions a President can make. And the discussions that follow will be among the most important we have as a nation. You can begin the conversation today by watching this special message and then passing it on:

http://my.barackobama.com/SupremeCourt

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

Paid for by Organizing for America, a project of the Democratic National Committee --
430 South Capitol Street SE, Washington, D.C. 20003.
This communication is not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

When did Bush string more than 4 words coherently together, let alone pages of speech.

Bush either had the worse speech writer in history or he couldn't read. My money is on the fact he had both detriments. Bush created a new class of idiot.

Like I said memorable

Yes... He is not an egotist who sets out to show "I am the greatest".

Muslim women believe in their head-dress, which Barack justified as their choice, but they also believe in education which should give the Taliban a run!

Yes he gives acknowledgement and credit where it is due. I think people generally are still mystified about his personality, charism, charm, intellect.

He is new, refreshing and stands for many who have been ignored for too long.

I enjoy watching and listening to him, as a human he comes across with modesty and straight talk, however, I remain reserved in opinion on what will eventually happen. I do not like to compartmentalise someone this important so soon. It is too easy to get caught in euphoria I will wait and see.

Mind you he is a dam better representative than Rudd.

Yes he gives acknowledgement and credit where it is due. I think people generally are still mystified about his personality, charism, charm, intellect.

He is new, refreshing and stands for many who have been ignored for too long.

Mind you he is a dam better representative than Rudd.

I have to say I appreciate an Obama trait that Rudd and Anna Bligh share:
They all speak on a topic rather than whinge and condemn and demand -- as McCain did.

As a teacher, speaking to a feral student as you would have them be, will get a dialogue going.
Talk to people as though they are fools and they will retaliate or act like fools and you will both lose.

If you listen to Barack's video on Sotomayor, you'll see he's setting up models for young Americans to emulate:
... no matter what your situation or beginnings, effort can be rewarded with success.
... education is the tool with which to build your life.
... focus on building not on complaining and tearing down

His egocentric base is to create an America of the American dream. What better goal than to be adulated for this?

If you listen to Barack's video on Sotomayor, you'll see he's setting up models for young Americans to emulate:

I've no problem with him nominating Sotomayor, she will be a defining and unparrelled challenge to the existing. Obama is pushing and setting a new playing field - the USA needed it.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/toby_h.../top_10_gaffes_by_barack_obama_and_joe_biden_

By the way, this list is just a small compilation of the gaffes out there that this great speaker has uttered. I'll put some more up if challenged.

Not wanting to intervene in your argument, but this was one of Obama's gaffes:

"9. Barack Obama jokes about Nancy Reagan having séances in the White House. He later called her to apologise after the AP noted that although she had consulted astrologers, "she did not hold conversations with the dead":"

I was reading this weekend (unfortunately I can't recall the source) where Nancy claimed that she sees Ronald at the end of her bed many nights and that she talks to him on those occasions.

Dear Nancy - What would she do if Ronnie wasn't dead. She knows she's in the limelight and loves it, part of her comfort blanket, to be needed and acknowledged. There are more pressing issues but the USA just has to carry on the patriotic drama. It would give the Bold and the Beautiful a run for its money any day.

Obama is just another President hamstrung by the political system and will not achieve what he set out to do.

Obama's Cairo Cringe didn't work.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25652246-20261,00.html

Ralph Peters in the New York Post:

IT must have been the viewing angle: The despots who run Iran somehow missed the halo gracing President Obama during his recent sermon to the Muslim world.

The ruling mullahs' contemptuous handling of Iran's presidential election was their response to "the Cairo effect" announced a tad prematurely by the White House.

The administration appears stunned, still unable to believe that its self-abasement towards the Middle East didn't inaugurate the Age of Aquarius. Well, consider the view from Tehran.

The rulers in Tehran need us as an enemy (along with Israel). A demonised foe is essential to their grip on power. And all that rhetoric about the impending end of time and the return of the Hidden Imam? A key faction -- which includes President Ahmadinejad -- believes it.

Ahmadinejad believes that his faith alone will rule after the any-day-now apocalypse. Obama believes in ... Obama.

This is not an even match, folks.

I've lost count of Messiahbama's economic promises, uplifting speeches & policy announcements already. After how many days?

Honestly, has he broken the all time Speed Of Deliverance record for US Presidents in each of those categories? Where does he get all that hot air from?? (It sure is helping to float the US "wet paper bag" economy.

I reckon Mr KRudd would be running a distant 2nd compared to the Big O!

:cool:

aj

Looks like he has nothing to worry about from the opposition

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnews/20090617/ts_usnews/republicansstruggletouniteintheobamaera

t isn't getting any easier to be a Republican. Only 22 percent of the voters identify with the GOP, according to the Pew Research Center, compared with 39 percent who see themselves as independents and 33 percent who consider themselves Democrats. The party has no consistent message. And in an era when Barack Obama so clearly represents the Democrats, the Republicans are ill defined, with a multiplicity of voices inside and outside Congress, none of them very popular and most little known outside Washington or their home states.

It gets worse. One third of Republicans have an unfavorable view of their own party (compared with only 4 percent of Democrats who think unfavorably of their party), according to a new USA Today/Gallup Poll. Fifty-two percent of Americans can't specify the "main person" who speaks for the Republicans. Thirteen percent say it's radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh, followed by former Vice President Dick Cheney at 12 percent, Arizona Sen. John McCain (the party's presidential nominee last year) at 5 percent, and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich at 4. Former President George W. Bush came in fifth, with only 3 percent. All these potential spokesmen are middle-aged or elderly white men, at a time when more and more voters are women, Hispanics, and young.
Last week, the party's internal tug of war got a bit more intense when party leaders in Washington sparred with Sarah Palin, the charismatic governor of Alaska who catapulted to fame as McCain's vice presidential running mate last year. Palin has become a darling of grass-roots conservatives but an unreliable enigma to many veterans of the GOP establishment.

The latest fuss seemed petty to some but exposed serious GOP fault lines. It started when Palin didn't confirm she would attend a Washington fundraising dinner Monday for the National Republican Congressional Committee and the National Republican Senatorial Committee. After several weeks of confusion, the organizers decided to give the coveted keynote speaker's slot to former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, a potential competitor with Palin for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination. Just before the event, Palin decided she wanted to attend after all. But she wasn't assigned to the head table and wasn't given an opportunity to address the group, which some of her fans considered a slap. Palin was seated in the first row, however, and drew a big crowd of well-wishers.

Palin's fans say that, while she is distrusted by Washington's conservative insiders, she remains one of the GOP's biggest draws. The weekend before the Washington fundraiser, she helped to attract 20,000 people to a parade in Auburn, N.Y., the hometown of William Seward, secretary of state in the 1860s and the man who arranged for the United States to buy Alaska from Russia.

But prominent GOP strategists don't understand why Palin has avoided appearing at events that could bolster her standing among conservatives who will be instrumental in the 2012 primaries. "She's getting a reputation for being on-again, off-again," says one conservative strategist. "People aren't even sure how to get in touch with her and whether their messages are getting through." Conservatives say their calls to her office in Alaska frequently aren't returned, leading to speculation that she isn't interested in cooperating with the GOP establishment and that her staff isn't ready for prime time.

Some Republicans say she needs to concentrate first and foremost on being a good governor, but she runs the risk of alienating conservative leaders if she is too aloof. Palin needs to make a basic decision, the conservative strategist says: "Is she running for president surreptitiously or overtly?"

More important, Palin is doing little or nothing to create a consensus on what it means to be a Republican and seems reluctant to reach out to new voters, which many GOP strategists consider their top priority.

Meanwhile, others are trying to build a new majority, but their messages have yet to catch on. The GOP's appeal since Ronald Reagan made conservatism the dominant ideology has been based on four themes: cutting taxes, slowing the growth of government, preserving "family values," and strengthening national defense. But in recent years, many Republicans have felt their party going astray, especially on the issues of limiting government, restraining spending, and making common-sense decisions about using force and enhancing national security.

Gingrich is full of ideas and brio, but his failure to maintain GOP momentum when he was House speaker in the mid-1990s undermines his claim to be the conservative of the future. Limbaugh is bombastic and entertaining and draws lots of attention, but he has shown no interest in running for office. Cheney has made some effective arguments in defense of Bush administration national security policies, but he remains deeply unpopular with independents and Democratic voters. Mitt Romney, former governor of Massachusetts and an also-ran in the 2008 GOP presidential race, has been working behind the scenes to cultivate grass-roots support, but many Republicans still wonder if he is a genuine conservative and whether he can bond with everyday voters. [Read 10 Things You Didn't Know About Newt Gingrich]

Meanwhile, GOP leaders in Congress such as Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky and Rep. John Boehner of Ohio haven't gained much traction with their critique of Obama as a big-spending liberal who is weak on defense and a neophyte in foreign policy. These are the same criticisms the Republicans have directed at the Democrats for years. Americans are indeed worried about some of Obama's policies but so far haven't converted these concerns about Obama into support for the GOP. [Read 10 Things You Didn't Know About Mitt Romney]

Of course, nearly five years ago, the Democrats were in the same boat. The White House and Congress were controlled by the GOP. The Democratic nominee, Sen. John Kerry, lost the presidential race to George W. Bush. And myriad Democratic voices were clamoring to be heard. "It's difficult when you don't have a president in office," says a senior Obama adviser, because a commander in chief tends to create unity in his party. [See photos of Obama.]

Frank Donatelli, chairman of GOPAC, a conservative political action committee, and former political director for President Reagan, adds that there is no permanent majority in American politics. He predicts that the GOP will make a comeback when the political pendulum swings to the right again, either because the Republicans manage to capture the country's imagination or because Obama falls flat.

But until that happens, chances are that Republican divisions will only get worse.

NOOOO!!!

This can't be true!! :(

Please hurry everyone, plant some more grass and whiff the green shoots before the world wakes up from the "Yes We Can" dream ...

SIX months into his presidency, Barack Obama's honeymoon with the US public may be coming to an end, with a new poll showing a marked decline in his job approval numbers.

The survey conducted by CNN and Opinion Research Corporation put President Obama's overall job approval rating at 61 per cent, down from February, when he had a 76 per cent approval level.

Thirty-seven per cent of respondents, who were polled between June 26 and June 28, said they disapprove of how the new US leader is doing his job.

Seventy per cent said Mr Obama is a "a strong and decisive leader," down from 80 per cent in February, while just 53 per cent said Mr Obama has a "clear plan" for solving the nation's problems, down from 64 per cent.

The telephone survey of 1026 adults had a sampling error of plus or minus three percentage points. [/b]
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25759792-5005961,00.html

*sniff*

Obama takes a sneaky look at the assets of Brazil's junior G8 delegate Mayora Tavares while Nicolas Sarcozy looks on.

Attachments

• 0,,6713850,00.jpg
    0,,6713850,00.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 293
Obama takes a sneaky look at the assets of Brazil's junior G8 delegate Mayora Tavares while Nicolas Sarcozy looks on.

I'm not sure what I could say here that wouldnt be deleted by the mods:D

Sarcozy's thinking, yeah already been there.;)

At least we know now why Kev didn't take the missus. It reminds me of that great Australian joke; "What route are you taking?"