Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Re: Barack 2008!

My intuition tells me this time maybe Darwinism will prevail... as each country dusts itself off, led by China.

It might look like bankers/consumers are being offered gin or vodka - but could it be water in this heat?

Must it be flattening the storm-ravaged property and building again from scratch and not be curbed at recession status?

That terrifies me Wayne! :eek:
Remember what followed the last two global depressions where this happened?
Gaza is being set up in readiness for WWIII.
I vote recession only!
Well, I don't think there is a causal link between the great depression and WW2. It was essentially a continuation of WW1 and the armistice conditions Germany was forced to accept.

Not say there couldn't be a causal link between depression and ww3, but it isn't a mandatory result.

Without at least a deep and prolonged recession, the masses of debt binge and boomer bubble malinvestment will survive, setting us up for certain depression at some later date.

That simply must be allowed to wither away for a healthy future economy.

Unfortunately, this is politically extremely unpalatable and administration endangering. Hence, we can expect wrong decisions from any incumbent.

Wow - this article really inspires confidence. Obama continues to insert foot into mouth:

Obama Predicts 'Trillion-Dollar Deficits for Years to Come'

President-elect Barack Obama predicted Tuesday that the nation could see "trillion-dollar deficits for years to come," but said the country needs to continue spending taxpayer dollars to get the economy back on track.

Obama, speaking to reporters at his Washington transition office, said he didn't want to get into specific budget numbers because his proposal is still being worked out with lawmakers and has yet to be submitted for debate. But he expects a trillion-dollar deficit before the next fiscal-year budget is even proposed.

"We're already looking at a trillion-dollar budget deficit or close to a trillion-dollar budget deficit, and that potentially we've got trillion-dollar deficits for years to come, even with the economic recovery that we are working on at this point,The president-elect was lobbying Capitol Hill as the 111th Congress convenes, attempting to pitch an economy recovery package estimated to hit about $775 billion.

Asked about concerns of increased deficit spending, Obama said: "We know that we're going to have to spend money to jump-start the economy."
" Obama said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/200...enes-confront-economic-crisis-obama-response/

So there you have it - Trillion dollar deficits for years to come - just what the economy wants to hear right now. This is the main reason the market tanked today.

Without at least a deep and prolonged recession, the masses of debt binge and boomer bubble malinvestment will survive, setting us up for certain depression at some later date.

Unfortunately, this is politically extremely unpalatable and administration endangering. Hence, we can expect wrong decisions from any incumbent.

A recession will not change a thing. The 'big government, American democracy for the world' attitude first espoused by Wilson and Roosevelt during the unwinding of the last great debt binge needs to be curbed first. At the moment, America needs foreign debt to finance its 'control freak' tendencies both within its borders and abroad.

Until they stop this dysfunctional behaviour and refocus on 'good 'ol American' enterprise and savings, you can forget about it.

Well, I don't think there is a causal link between the great depression and WW2. It was essentially a continuation of WW1 and the armistice conditions Germany was forced to accept.

Not say there couldn't be a causal link between depression and ww3, but it isn't a mandatory result.

The Great Depression of the 1930's was named subsequent to the five 'depressions' of the C19.
The depression of 1893-97 was a prelude to WWI as any academic historian will attest
... as was WWII a consequence of the Great Depression.

With the increased speed of action :: reaction, WWIII will not take long to manifest.

With the US going further into debt to foreign countries (especially China) with their economic woes, it will be more vulnerable to its potential aggressors wouldn't you think? It will be less likely to give aid to others.

I agree Obama must look to the future health of the US economy as well as the present debacle but the current domino effect on health and employment will make this an onerous task.

Many in the US now know what 'a rainy day' means!
Our X and Y generations (as well as boomers) have not had a hint of this as yet.

I sense you are inferring my own opinion that when a current generation experiences the need to save for what they 'want' they will appreciate buying only what they 'need'... and not on credit. When credit sources dry up completely they can taste this?

This may be of interest: http://history1800s.about.com/od/thegildedage/a/financialpanics.htm

Wow - this article really inspires confidence. Obama continues to insert foot into mouth:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/200...enes-confront-economic-crisis-obama-response/

So there you have it - Trillion dollar deficits for years to come - just what the economy wants to hear right now. This is the main reason the market tanked today.

Obama merely stated the obvious.

You cannot stop a semi-trailer heading downhill, immediately - even with functional brakes!

The Great Depression of the 1930's was named subsequent to the five 'depressions' of the C19.
The depression of 1893-97 was a prelude to WWI as any academic historian will attest
... as was WWII a consequence of the Great Depression.
Rubbish!

You'd be far better off arguing the period of 21-23 as a bigger reason for WWII for one.

Barack 2009!

The new leader will lead and we'll be glad and grateful he did!

11th-December-2007, 09:39 PM
Does anyone disagree that Barack will be the next US president?

I first saw him on 'Oprah' whilst I was in Canada a year ago. I sat glued and I rarely watch the show! He was so inspiring that I bought his book 'The Audacity of Hope'. This was his second book. The first... earned him enough to pay off his law school debts and buy him a house as he worked in Chicago for a pittance. I predicted the sales of his second book would help finance a run for president and I was chuffed when he nominated! He's not accepted any donations from lobbyists but from public donations which IMO give ownership by the donors to 'the cause'. A brilliant strategy!

I have always asserted that a good leader did not have to be an expert on all topics, but rather, someone with the innate ability to gather experts, to really listen and to have a no-nonsense intelligence to make the decisions.

I was relieved, rather than euphoric, on 4 Nov 2008 when Barack crossed the line ahead of McCain.

I have been impressed and my gut instinct justified as he presented each of his 'expert' choices to the country.
These, in turn, lined up under the banner of working as part of Obama's team... Obama's rules.
- experts with differing ideas and opinions to provide a wide data base.
- ready to hit the ground running with integrity, respect and transparency.

Would the world feel the hope they feel at this time had McCain succeeded in his vitriolic attacks?

What I'm so pleased about is the confidence I feel as Obama's major focus issues over the past year - education, health, employment, infrastructure, global warming - are those which he is now not only still supporting but asserting will help the US out if its mire.

'One president at a time' he has continually reminded the media.
Tomorrow, at 2am Sydney time, the crown will be placed and the balls will be danced at.
Then the carpet and sleeves will be rolled up and the work will start in earnest.

EVERY major decision will be sanctioned by Obama ... not by a senior head of department.
This is his presidency as the leader of the team; not the puppet of lobbyists and PACS.
Even the inauguration was financed by public donations... owned by the citizens.

Barack said, a week ago, that in 2011 people would say he did not do everything 'right', he did not do everything he could have, but he did head America in the right direction.

Re: Barack 2009!

Dear Doris,

Please tell me you're not planning a new 2009 thread of "I Adore Obama".

Dear Doris,

Please tell me you're not planning a new 2009 thread of "I Adore Obama".

Threads merged. Title changed.

Doris can continue on with her adoration, and i'll drop in every now and then to show her how 'normal' he is and like any other politician is hamstrung and wont be able to make and decent changes

Threads merged. Title changed.

Doris can continue on with her adoration, and I'll drop in every now and then to show her how 'normal' he is and like any other politician is hamstrung and wont be able to make any decent changes

I'll hold you to that prawn!
But you must have genuine justification for any comments - not just apply the tall poppy syndrome! ;)

And he will not be hamstrung! His whole campaign was built on the foundation to break those strings! :banghead:

Annoyance permeates and prickles when 'the first black president' is trumpeted.
He is the best person for the job.
Who would want it, granted, but he will do as he has encouraged others today to do:
... work hard in adversity and you'll get there.

Yes Julia I do adore the man. (great butt and eyes) ;)
I adore his philosophies.
I adore the way his family relate to each other as though they genuinely like and love each other.
There is a difference here. They will be a role model for all families.

And he will not be hamstrung! His whole campaign was built on the foundation to break those strings! :banghead:

And yet he has been appointing the same lifetime advisors that have been round for years and all the previous administrations.

Dont you realise that politicians are just puppets...

Yes Julia I do adore the man. (great butt and eyes) ;)
I adore his philosophies.
I adore the way his family relate to each other as though they genuinely like and love each other.
There is a difference here. They will be a role model for all families.

On behalf of all of those who backed John McCain, may I wish your man, Barack Obama all the best for his term as President, a long life, wise decisions and good health for him and his family.

The USA is a great country, able to re invent itself and move forward no matter what the challenges.

gg

Which headline pertaining to Obama and his inauguration will win the Oscar?
From MarketWatch-'World awaits Obama.'
From the NYTimes-'How Long Will The Honeymoon Last?'

Still a tragedy that the worlds economies are in such a terrible state. He will be forced into admitting he can do little for those who are unemployed in the worse off communities.

In Germany in the 1930's the economy recovered by getting the unemployed building roads etc., it did work and the economy recovered. A great pity AH had other plans going on from there.

Obama - World Saviour or Bush Baggage Carrier?

Hi guys

Thought I would start a new thread

Does he care about us?
Is he a nice man?
Does he know that we are American allies?
Can he rescue the world ecomony?

Any contribution is welcome - Positive or Negative??

Re: Obama - World Saviour or Bush Baggage Carrier ?

Hi guys

Thought I would start a new thread

Does he care about us?
Is he a nice man?
Does he know that we are American allies?
Can he rescue the world ecomony?

Any contribution is welcome - Positive or Negative??

All I know is that World Stock Market sentiments have failed to respond before, during and after his inauguration. I guess that's a big negative.

I presume he cares about us. In a small way.
He seems to be a "nice man". :)
I'm confident he knows we are allies.
I'm not confident he can rescue the world economy.

Still a tragedy that the worlds economies are in such a terrible state. He will be forced into admitting he can do little for those who are unemployed in the worse off communities.

In Germany in the 1930's the economy recovered by getting the unemployed building roads etc., it did work and the economy recovered. A great pity AH had other plans going on from there.

Yup, and ironically it is most likely going to be predominantly black American workers and communities who will suffer more than any other demographic under BA in the coming months/years as the US economy tanks deeper.

He's nothing but a poster boy. No one can do anything about the markets - they'll sort themselves out after a while on their own, simple as that :)

He's nothing but a poster boy. No one can do anything about the markets - they'll sort themselves out after a while on their own, simple as that :)
The fear of losing money now seems to be greater than the greed for some,more.

He will go down as the greatest disappointment ever. Even if he does a good job under the horrible circumstances, the expectations are way to high.

Also, if you look past the fancy rhetoric, his foreign affairs agenda is no different to Bush and could actually be even more dangerous.