Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Re: Barack 2008!

There are three types of voters IMO:

* Those who are unhappy and angry and want Shaden Freude by chopping down the tall poppy
* Those who are like Nate Walsh and can't be bothered to get out of bed
* Those who are unhappy and want a better country

(Google Nate Walsh if you don't know who he is) ;)

It is not that black and white? Is it? :)

Attachments

• palmer.jpg
    palmer.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 217
  • logan.jpg
    logan.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 216
  • poll 20081028.jpg
    poll 20081028.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 216

Canton, Ohio and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania today:

Barack Obama presented himself as a unifier for an embattled country, promising to deliver days of "hope over fear."

He said America is about "seeing the highest mountaintop from the deepest of valleys."

He used the moment to get beyond the sparring with John McCain and restore a theme of inspiration.

"In one week, we can choose hope over fear, unity over division, the promise of change over the power of the status quo." In one week, we can come together as one nation, and one people, and once more choose our better history. That's what's at stake."

His soaring language was a throwback to a time before the conversation drew more specific and ugly.

"The change we need isn't just about new programs and policies," Obama said to roaring crowds.
"It's about a new attitude, it's about new politics — a politics that calls on our better angels instead of encouraging our worst instincts."

"Sen. McCain might be worried about losing an election, but I'm worried about Americans who are losing their homes, and their jobs, and their life savings."I can take one more week of John McCain's attacks, but this country can't take four more years of the same old politics and the same failed policies.
It's time for something new."

Excerpts of today's rhetoric. What a statesman!

Come on now Doris, I watched the speech by Barack Obama today. Allowing for the cold, he seemed to be at a loss for words at times, certainly not enjoying it and really struggling. For the first time he appeared to be waffling on an on.
Very poor performance, know wonder McCain is closing the gap, admittedly from from way back. But who knows on the 7 day run in.

As you likely know Drudge is a conservative commentator and as such will usually present data that paints the best conservative light on the issue. What Drudge fails to note is that Gallup has several polling methods and his Likely-Traditional Voters is only one and is the one that least likely represents the composition of the current voting group.

(Zz, you add images by using the little paperclip icon to add an attachment immediately above the reply window)

As you can see the other methods paint a less rosy picture for McCain (the final poll is for registered voters):

Attachments

• gallup_likely_traditional.jpg
    gallup_likely_traditional.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 179
  • gallup_likely_expanded.jpg
    gallup_likely_expanded.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 180
  • gallup_registered.jpg
    gallup_registered.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 179

As you likely know Drudge is a conservative commentator and as such will usually present data that paints the best conservative light on the issue. What Drudge fails to note is that Gallup has several polling methods and his Likely-Traditional Voters is only one and is the one that least likely represents the composition of the current voting group.

(Zz, you add images by using the little paperclip icon to add an attachment immediately above the reply window)

As you can see the other methods paint a less rosy picture for McCain (the final poll is for registered voters):

derty -thanks for the hint.

The (traditional) likely voter scenario is the one they have always used in the past, and worked pretty well, so, I'll go with that one. :)

The polls are tightening though. Lots of talk about Obama's redistribution comments he made in a PBS interview in 2001, along with calling the constitution a bill of NEGATIVE rights, etc. If the media had done their job over the last two years to expose this guy, this race would be Hillary vs. McCain. Hillary is a leftist, but not an extreme leftist like Obama.

zzd said:
The (traditional) likely voter scenario is the one they have always used in the past, and worked pretty well, so, I'll go with that one
Surely zzd you'll accept that the best evidence is the most recent evidence - (as in "Likely Voters Expanded") that more Dems will vote than previously - already form the majority of early voters :2twocents

gg from Sarah Palin thread said:
Won't you leftie MNBC watchers be so upset when McCain and Palin sneak over the line.
Washington aristocrats and posting wannabees watch out.
The polls are turning.

Well, all I can say to you blokes with such confidence in McCain's chances - you'll get odds of between $9 to $10 on him. - go for it - do it man !! - money where your mouth is !! - you'll be rich !! ;)

(compared to $1.11 on Obama). :2twocents

PS as derty posted ... younger voters are setting unprecedented voter turnouts - new trends for a new world :)

Attachments

• likely voters expanded.jpg
    likely voters expanded.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 175

Rasmussen:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...ial_election/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

Obama 50 McCain 47

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows Barack Obama attracting 50% of the vote nationwide while John McCain earns 47%. This is the first time McCain has been within three points of Obama in more than a month and the first time his support has topped 46% since September 24 (see trends). One percent (1%) of voters prefer a third-party option and 2% are undecided.

The polls are tightening elswhere too:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

Only one outlier poll has it in double digits.

2020 - I clicked on your signature and was pleasantly surprised at the video. I've always been a big Roger Miller fan. Polar opposites can sometimes have something in common, I guess.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ZjRjYzE0YmQxNzU4MDJjYWE5MjIzMTMxMmNhZWQ1MTA
From the above link:
The real problem, we’ve been told, lay with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. In fact, however, ACORN is at the base of the whole mess. ACORN used CRA and Democratic sympathizers to entangle Fannie and Freddie and the entire financial system in a disastrous disregard of the most basic financial standards. And Barack Obama cut his teeth as an organizer and politician backing up ACORN’s economic madness every step of the way.

An interesting article.

Rasmussen:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...ial_election/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

Obama 50 McCain 47

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The polls are tightening elswhere too:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

Only one outlier poll has it in double digits.

2020 - I clicked on your signature and was pleasantly surprised at the video. I've always been a big Roger Miller fan. Polar opposites can sometimes have something in common, I guess.
gallup 51 to 42%
or 51-44 for likely voters (expanded)
or 49-46 for likely voters (traditional)

odds $1.13 to $8.60

http://www.gallup.com/poll/111619/Gallup-Daily-Obama-Maintains-Edge-Over-McCain.aspx

I notice some reluctance to give one party control of govt

http://www.gallup.com/poll/111571/Voters-Eager-OneParty-Control-Government.aspx
Voters Not Eager for One-Party Control of Government

... McCain has tried to remind voters that electing Obama as president to go along with a Democratically-controlled Congress would give the Democratic Party control of the federal government.

That argument appears to resonate, as voters appear reluctant to want to give one party full control of the government regardless of who is elected president

PS ZZd - yep Roger Miller is great (had some James Last there prior to that) - if a bit hard to understand lol. Some would call it jazz I guess - not sure. I've added the word "signature=" just in case people thought that I was saying that roller skating in buffalo herds and politics had something in common. - then again maybe they do lol :2twocents

How funny is this?! I just wish Arnie called him a "girly man!"

From news.com.au

"Schwarzenegger mocks 'skinny' Barack Obama"

November 01, 2008 12:06pm

MUSCLEMAN-turned-actor-turned-politician Arnold Schwarzenegger has called on Barack Obama to beef up his his policies - and his body - at a rally for Republican John McCain.
Mr Schwarzenegger, the Hollywood action hero who is now the Republican governor of California, delighted a crowd of several thousand at a McCain campaign event in Columbus, Ohio,
today by ridiculing both Obama's policies and his slender physique.

The Austrian-born former Mr Universe has hosted a bodybuilding tournament in Columbus for several years, and opened his address by inviting Senator Obama to participate in the next event.

"Every year in March I come here to organise the Arnold Classic, which is all about building the body and pumping," Mr Schwarzenegger said.

"That's why I want to invite Senator Obama because he needs to do something about those skinny legs. I'm going to make him do some squats.

"And then we're going to make him do some biceps curls to beef up those scrawny little arms. But if he could only do something about putting some meat on his ideas.

"Senator McCain on the other hand is built like a rock. His character and his views are solid."

Senator McCain and Mr Schwarzenegger rolled into the Nationwide Arena Hockey Stadium together on the Republican candidate's campaign bus the "Straight Talk Express".

While Senator McCain received loud cheers, it was Schwarzenegger who provided some much-needed glamour and the biggest cheers with a searing attack on Senator Obama's economic policies.

He painted former Vietnam War prisoner and navy pilot Senator McCain as a "real-life American hero".

"But the final day on the campaign trail was rooted in sadness. Obama learned early Monday morning that his maternal grandmother, the only survivor among the adults who shaped his young life in Hawaii, had died overnight at age 86."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/03/AR2008110303464.html?hpid=topnews

Barack Obama's grandmother died early this morning.

I feel for him as she was like a mother to him for many years. At a critical point in the campaign this happens 1 day before the election.

What this shows his tremendous ability to decompartmentalise
Doing what he has fought for over many years.
Grieving internally is hard enough let alone on the stage of the world.

This should show people that he is steady, focused, and able to lead with fortitude without coming apart.

Barack Obama's grandmother died early this morning.

I feel for him as she was like a mother to him for many years. At a critical point in the campaign this happens 1 day before the election.

What this shows his tremendous ability to decompartmentalise
Doing what he has fought for over many years.
Grieving internally is hard enough let alone on the stage of the world.

This should show people that he is steady, focused, and able to lead with fortitude without coming apart.

A very predictable post.

We have all lost grandparents, parents or children.

You should be ashamed of yourself for using natural grief as a political tool.

gg