Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Re: Barack 2008!

Concerning the USD700Gigadollars bailout bill -

a) Whoever stops it will be blamed if there is an immediate recession/ depression. (no win for the Democrats) , and
b) Whoever inherits the fallout (assuming it is passed - and assuming it is the Democrats), could well find themselves up against a worse recession down the track.

and gotta be a poisoned chalice for the Dems :eek:

The timing is atrocious (to my simplistic eye)

Bill Clinton said on Letterman last night, both should relish the credit they will get for cleaning up as it can't get much worse. But they're now talking of needing follow-up gigadollars.
Certainly over the next six weeks we'll see how bad it is so that Obama is seen as a saviour. ;)

I think a lot of folk will turn Democrat as a result of this... more people who need the government to help.
Bill also said 2/3 of US households had mortgage stress. McCain is known for war not budgets!

Eight figures are being spent on these ads by the National Rifle Association. Where did this $$ come from? :confused:

NRA Ad: Obama Wants To Steal Your Guns

The NRA video shows a Virginia hunter and Iraq war veteran, Karl Rusch, complaining about the high cost of gas and accusing Obama of planning a "huge new tax" on "guns and ammo." "Where is this guy from?" Rusch asks. "He's probably never been hunting a day in his life."

The Pinocchio Test:

The NRA video accuses Obama of voting "to ban virtually all deer hunting ammunition" and supporting "a ban on shotguns and rifles most of us use for hunting."
The deer hunting claim is based on Obama's support for an unsuccessful Senate amendment by Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.) that would have expanded the definition of "armor-piercing" ammunition.
The shotgun claim refers to semi-automatic rifles and pistols covered by the assault weapons ban, which expired in March 2004.

During the Senate debate, Kennedy said that his amendment would "not apply to ammunition that is now routinely used in hunting rifles," a point contested by the NRA.

The video cites a decade-old clip from a Chicago newspaper to support its claim that Obama favors a huge new gun tax. The article said that the then Illinois state senator supported a "500 percent" increase in the federal tax on the sale of "weapons he says are most commonly used in firearm deaths." Most of the article deals with proposals by Obama to "increase the penalties on gun runners who are flooding Chicago's streets with illegal weapons."

While it is true that Obama favors tighter gun laws, it is a huge stretch to argue that he wants to take away the guns and ammunition most commonly used by hunters. The claim that he favors "a huge new tax on guns and ammo" rests on a confusingly worded 9-year-old newspaper article that has little relevance for Obama's platform as a presidential candidate. The NRA misfires on this one.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2008/09/nra_misfires_against_obama.html

3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker

Attachments

• pinocchio.gif
    pinocchio.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 88

There may be hope for the Democrats yet.

The latest poll looks as if Obama is ahead.

Its from the Washington Post.

Although McCain/Palin seem to have more mongrel in them and you need mongrel to win an election.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/23/AR2008092303667_pf.html

gg

Economic Fears Give Obama Clear Lead Over McCain in Poll

By Dan Balz and Jon Cohen
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, September 24, 2008; A01

Turmoil in the financial industry and growing pessimism about the economy have altered the shape of the presidential race, giving Democratic nominee Barack Obama the first clear lead of the general-election campaign over Republican John McCain, according to the latest Washington Post-ABC News national poll.

Just 9 percent of those surveyed rated the economy as good or excellent, the first time that number has been in single digits since the days just before the 1992 election. Just 14 percent said the country is heading in the right direction, equaling the record low on that question in polls dating back to 1973.

More voters trust Obama to deal with the economy, and he currently has a big edge as the candidate who is more in tune with the economic problems Americans now face. He also has a double-digit advantage on handling the current problems on Wall Street, and as a result, there has been a rise in his overall support. The poll found that, among likely voters, Obama now leads McCain by 52 percent to 43 percent. Two weeks ago, in the days immediately following the Republican National Convention, the race was essentially even, with McCain at 49 percent and Obama at 47 percent.

gg

gg - don't let that poll get you down, there are lots of problems with this outlier poll:

Two questions arise from the Washington Post/ABC poll. Since they find an unusually high gap ”” an outlier from all other polling ”” what kind of sample produced it? And does this really show a shift in likely voters to Barack Obama, when state-by-state polling shows the race tightening in the other direction? The answer is that a poor sample still could show some movement:
As some have already noted, the sampling in this poll could explain why. In the raw numbers, the poll sample consists of 38% Democrats and 28% Republicans. This doubles the actual spread on party affiliation, last surveyed by the more-reliable Rasmussen at 38.7%-33.6% D-to-R. When the WaPo/ABC poll takes leaners into account, the spread gets even more pronounced: 54-38. That suggests a rather strong bias towards Obama, and an almost insurmountable hurdle for McCain.
In contrast, the spread was smaller on 9/7, when McCain had a two-point edge. The base number gave an eight-point advantage to the Dems, but only a nine-point advantage with leaners. That’s a seven-point shift in two weeks within the sample, which would certainly account for a large shift towards Obama.
But does it account for all of the shift? That’s a tougher question. The seven-point shift in leaners should only result in a seven-point shift, maximum, in the end result ”” but McCain lost eleven points. The difference could be attributable to the margins of error that are built into the polling, or it could just be that Obama did really gain a few points, although not eleven as the WaPo/ABC poll suggests.
We’ll have to watch other polling (and their samples) to determine whether this reflects reality or a pollster bias. Rasmussen’s daily tracking poll has Obama up two points for the first time in a while, so there may be movement ”” but it still looks like anyone’s race.

This one is probably the least volatile, and over time and the last few election cycles, the most accruate:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...ial_election/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

Some interesting, intelligent bloggers on cbsnews.com re the NRA TV ads:

The NRA thrives on creating FEAR. Why don''t they get rid of their frustrations by doing something USEFUL like offering to mow their neighbor''s lawn? No wait, it''s not the same thrill as shooting bullets into a living animal and watching it drop dead to the ground, is it?

Have any of you rednecks ever been to a big city? Have you ever witnessed a child or innocent adult get shot to death by gang bangers with an illegal semi-automatic gun? That is what Obama is trying to stop, not your stupid hunting rights.

Cretins! All they care about is hunting while Rome burns. I support the Second Amendment but if your support makes you blind to all the Republican BS, you''re not doing yourself or any other American any favors. Think about your job, your kids'' education, your taxes (which will be cut by Obama if you make $250,000 or less).

LOL - The gun lobby that was just caught planting spies in anti-violence non-profit organizations is preaching sanctimonious about Obama/Biden. Send the NRA the same way as the other corrupt lobbyists in Washington - to hell! Get your blood money out of my government.

The lies of George Bu**** and the Neocons are a bigger threat to our freedom than all the Dianne Feinsteins on the planet.

The right to bear arms is significant only in the context of preserving our freedom. The Republicans want to take all our other freedoms away then pretend that gun ownership is significant.

If you have no freedom of speech or right to privacy, all the guns in the world are nothing.

Shouldn''t the NRA be more focused on keeping the assault rifles out of the hands of the ''"bad guys?" by helping to shut down the gun shows that sell to anyone who walks up? Obama , nor any proponent of gun control want to take away anyone''s guns who can prove that they are responsible enough to own one. What they really want to do is keep them out of the hands of children, teens, the unstable and, of course, "the bad guys".

With people like these in this AD, no wonder that our economy is melting down.

Lies and more lies will destroy America.

WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008 - 2016

The NRA is lying. Bigtime lying.

Obama/Biden do not have any plans to do ANY of the things that the NRA claims. Completely ridiculous and even if they did want to try any of the things the NRA claims, they could not pull it off.

Straight from the Obama website:
"PROTECTING GUN RIGHTS
Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters and shooters own and use guns each year. Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase,own, transport, and use guns."

I don''t understand why it is legal to outright lie in these ads??
Why is there no accountability for the McCain campaign and the NRA for this stuff?

Obama outlines plan for economy
He urges cooperation in dealing with crisis; McCain criticizes lack of leadership

By Bob Drogin and Peter Nicholas | Los Angeles Times
September 24, 2008

-Obama outlined yesterday how he would deal with the current economic crisis, hours after McCain again criticized him for failing to show leadership.

Obama explained his proposals, many of which are similar to McCain's. Despite his earlier comments that the harsh economy might delay some of his plans, Obama insisted that the core elements of his campaign - middle-class tax cuts, education aid and energy spending - would not be affected.

Obama also strongly pushed his plan for a second economic stimulus package and for a bipartisan approach to deal with the current problems.

"The American people need to know that we feel as great a sense of urgency about the emergency on Main Street as we do about the emergency on Wall Street," Obama said. "We are all in this together, and we must come together as Democrats and Republicans, on Wall Street and on Main Street to solve it."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation/politics/bal-te.campaign24sep24,0,2224005.story

Obama was the first to address the shortcomings of the plan, saying on Wednesday that the proposal needed to include a payback plan for taxpayers, a bipartisan board to provide oversight, restrictions on any federal money used to pay Wall Street execs, and help for homeowners who have been hit hard by the mortgage crisis, reports The New York Times.

While he didn’t say he’d object to the plan without those conditions, according to The Times, he did say he’d recommend that government officials “go back to the drawing board” if the proposal failed to include them.

http://www.collegenews.com/index.ph..._outline_their_plans_to_fix_the_economy_8888/

Will the debate go on or will McCain's 'Drama Queen' chickening out prevail?

... after all it is only 90 minutes on one night. Surely they're both prepared - after all the notice they've had.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS:

Republican John McCain on Wednesday said he was suspending his campaign and would return to Washington to focus on the roiling US financial crisis. He said he asked Democratic opponent Barack Obama to join him in the nation's capital and to agree to a delay in Friday's first presidential debate.

Obama's campaign said he was inclined to go ahead with the debate.

The University of Mississippi, which was hosting the event, said it too was moving ahead with preparations because it had "received no notification of any change in the timing or venue."

Even before the Obama campaign said it was inclined to go forward with the face off, Obama spokesman Bill Burton issued a statement saying that McCain made his announcement unilaterally moments after agreeing to joint action by both candidates that was initiated by Obama in a personal phone call to McCain.

"At 8:30 this morning, Senator Obama called Senator McCain to ask him if he would join in issuing a joint statement outlining their shared principles and conditions for the Treasury proposal and urging Congress and the White House to act in a bipartisan manner to pass such a proposal.

At 2:30 this afternoon, Senator McCain returned Senator Obama's call and agreed to join him in issuing such a statement. The two campaigns are currently working together on the details," Burton's statement said.

Doris, I have to admire your work ethic. Do you ever get any sleep? Seven Obama posts yesterday and today looks like you may break your record. Already posts at 12.03, 1.05, 1.29, 1.45, 6.34, 7.20 and still counting. That's dedication!!!

Doris, I have to admire your work ethic. Do you ever get any sleep? Seven Obama posts yesterday and today looks like you may break your record. Already posts at 12.03, 1.05, 1.29, 1.45, 6.34, 7.20 and still counting. That's dedication!!!

lol...
Such dedication on your stalking my posts! :D

They're mental breaks as I work on writing a book. Gotta work when the brain is astute!
My orders are placed for today so it's now time for a cat nap!

lol...

They're mental breaks as I work on writing a book. Gotta work when the brain is astute!
Hi, Is your book "How to get Barack Obama elected in 500 espicate lessons."?

lol...

Stalking:headshake. I am now a dedicated follower. A disciple of a disciple you might say. I have had an epiphany. As a follower of your teachings I now know that the future of America depends on one man.

Only Obama can provide the caring and uplifting government that can unite people to despise greed and look after the needy. McCain on the other hand offers a descent into to a nether world of the seven deadly sins.

It is a shame that we cannot vote. In a matter as crucial as this, the whole world should get a vote.

I can't wait for your book.

Stalking:headshake. I am now a dedicated follower. A disciple of a disciple you might say. I have had an epiphany. As a follower of your teachings I now know that the future of America depends on one man.

Only Obama can provide the caring and uplifting government that can unite people to despise greed and look after the needy. McCain on the other hand offers a descent into to a nether world of the seven deadly sins.

It is a shame that we cannot vote. In a matter as crucial as this, the whole world should get a vote.

I can't wait for your book.

Given the fact of the US impact on world affairs both from war and financial issues the matter is very crucial.

Recent history shows Republicans fighting wars for the wrong reasons (Iraq) and sitting by watching the destruction of not only the US economy but taking everyone else down also.

I agree with Doris if only that there needs to be a change a real change not the phony change McCain proposes.

Is Barack better who knows but it would be very very hard to achieve the failing's currently happening.

Not sure if this is the correct thread for a joke at Obama's expense but here it is.

Attachments

• Obama.JPG
    Obama.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 72

This is a diplomatic, intelligent press conference held today.

Barack spoke for 4 minutes then answered critical questions.

Barack gave an honest, objective, profound insight of the devious cunning of McCain as he explains their telephone conversation.

HOW COULD ANYONE TRUST McCain now? :confused: :eek:

What a blatant back-stabbing coward. McCain should be tried for treason! He is as low as it gets.

If anyone needed proof that Obama is a great statesman and will be a magnificent president - here it is:

From: David Plouffe, BarackObama.com [mailto:info@barackobama.com]
Sent: Thursday, 25 September 2008 3:02 PM
To: Doris *******
Subject: VIDEO: Barack's latest remarks about the economy

Doris --

This morning Barack called John McCain to suggest a joint statement of principles that would help Congress resolve the immediate financial crisis.

Then John McCain went on television and said he was suspending his campaign and that Friday's presidential debate should be postponed.

Barack spoke about the crisis and took questions from reporters a few hours ago.

He also made it clear that -- with only 40 days left for the American people to decide who will be responsible for leading our economic future -- it is more important than ever that the scheduled debate takes place.

Please take a minute to watch the video of Barack's press conference and share it with your friends:

http://my.barackobama.com/latestremarks

This is an important time, and we have to keep this campaign focused on the crucial issues.

Thank you,

David

David Plouffe
Campaign Manager
Obama for America

This is a diplomatic, intelligent press conference held today.

Barack spoke for 4 minutes then answered critical questions.

Barack gave an honest, objective, profound insight of the devious cunning of McCain as he explains their telephone conversation.

HOW COULD ANYONE TRUST McCain now? :confused: :eek:

What a blatant back-stabbing coward. McCain should be tried for treason! He is as low as it gets.

If anyone needed proof that Obama is a great statesman and will be a magnificent president - here it is:

Doris you are bit one eyed here. There is no need to deify poor old Obama.

All politicians are untrustworthy.

Its perception that counts.

gg

3 more days down the road ..

Obama now 8/13 ($1.62)... in from 4/6 ($1.67) ... in from ($1.70)
McCain now 6/4 ($2.50) ... out from 7/5 ($2.40) ... out from ($2.25)

http://www.easyodds.com/compareodds/specials/Politics/m/147587-234-5.html
http://www.gallup.com/poll/107674/Interactive-Graph-Follow-General-Election.aspx

4 more days down the road ..

Obama on 8/13 ($1.62)... steady from ($1.62).... in from ($1.67) ... in from ($1.70)
McCain now 7/4 ($2.75) ... out from ($2.50) ... out from 7/5 ($2.40) ... out from ($2.25)

Attachments

• polls 20080925.jpg
    polls 20080925.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 58

so much for your sense of ethics gg lol
that was blatantly dishonourable behaviour by McCain. :2twocents

Its all tactics now mate, it doesn't matter how you get the job, the most important thing is getting elected.

Imagine if Obama had been going up against Joe Stalin, there would have been an East and west France with a Paris wall.

Obama is wet as.

gg

and mcCain is a cunning conman .. lol
fall for him if you wish
but to claim it was his idea to "approach Obama" - is just :bs:

and mcCain is a cunning conman .. lol
fall for him if you wish
but to claim it was his idea to "approach Obama" - is just :bs:

To be honest 2020 I think I'll be buying you the beer, but don't let Letterman or any of the pinko media know my thoughts, I'd hate to sway the election. lol :rolleyes:

Obama and McCain are probably the best candidates we have had in the US for a while.

I'd prefer McCain. I like Palin.

I do not trust the leftie orthodoxy on everything, everything :banghead:

They are godbotherers in humanistic clothing, nagging and telling us ordinary folk they are our betters, what we should be driving, mining, farming, eating, how we should deal with our lovely earth, how we should reproduce, how many kids we should have, and all the time lining their own pinko pockets with largesse, bribes and super.

Now after that epiphany you have got buckleys, (remember buckley) of getting Obama over the line.

but I will defend your right to get the poor wet bastard over that line.

gg

hell, I don't even trust Bush's motives for tomorrow for instance - i.e. his invitation to Obama (triggered - let's face it - in the first instance by Obama approaching McCain ) ..

now how will they exploit that do you reckon? Some press conference that makes him look out of place somehow? ..

I mean, I wouldn't put it past them to put up pink (as in white-skinned) White House curtains behind Obama for instance :rolleyes:.