Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Re: Barack 2008!

Date: Friday, September 19, 2008 4:53 AM
To: <doris.********@bigpond.com>
Subject: Solving our financial crisis

Doris --

The economy hit a new low this week, and in every part of the country, people like you are feeling it.

The recent financial disasters -- from the collapse of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to the historic drop in the stock market -- are not just a string of bad luck. They are the result of years of bad decisions made in favor of big corporate special interests instead of America's working families.

More than 600,000 Americans have lost their jobs since January. Home foreclosures are skyrocketing, and home values are plunging. Gas prices are at an all-time high, and we're still spending more than $10 billion every month on a war in Iraq that should never have been waged.

John McCain's campaign is doing everything it can to focus attention on false personal attacks and distractions -- but there's too much at stake for that kind of politics.

I need your help to get the conversation back on track.

I recorded a two-minute TV ad about our economy and my plan to solve this crisis. Please watch the ad and share it with everyone you know.

For eight years, Bush-McCain economic policies have favored reckless deregulation and huge tax loopholes for big corporations. Now, as these corporations crumble, American taxpayers are facing costly bailouts.

More of the same failed ideas are not going to solve our economic problems.

I'm calling for a $1,000 tax break for middle-class families -- not just because they need help dealing with the rising costs of gas, food, and health care, but also because our economy needs to be reinvigorated from the bottom up, not the top down.

I'm proposing a second stimulus package to save over one million jobs and provide immediate relief to struggling families.

And I'll end the "anything goes" culture on Wall Street with real regulation. We can see clearly that our economy is stronger when we protect investments and pensions, and avoid devastating bankruptcies and bailouts.

This is no ordinary time, and it shouldn't be an ordinary election. Help keep the discussion focused on the issues.

Please watch the video and share it with your friends today:

http://my.barackobama.com/economyvideo

Thanks for helping to bring the change this country needs,

Barack

Date: Friday, September 19, 2008 4:53 AM
To: <doris.********@bigpond.com>
Subject: Solving our financial crisis

Thanks for helping to bring the change this country needs,

Barack

Good for you Doris. You have come out of the closet and declared yourself as the agent of a foreign politician.

The polls are moving back in Obama's favour. I think that the reason for this is twofold:

1. Palin - She is such an appalling candidate for most Americans. The far right love her but I think that most Americans are sick of the lies and the attitude she had as Governor an Mayor. I wouldn't be surprised if she has to pull out for some trumped up reason.

2. Obama ignoring the Democratic party machine. The unfortunate thing about the democrats is that they really hate to insult people and back down. A prime example is when Gore was looking to enter the present race, he told the truth and had to withdraw. Obama, on the other hand is holding the flame up to McCain and Palin.

The polls are moving back in Obama's favour. I think that the reason for this is twofold:

1. Palin - She is such an appalling candidate for most Americans. The far right love her but I think that most Americans are sick of the lies and the attitude she had as Governor an Mayor. I wouldn't be surprised if she has to pull out for some trumped up reason.

It is more likely that Joe Biden (the human gaffe machine) will withdraw for some nefarious reason than Sarah Palin. In fact, Intrade has a bet on it. Still not likely, but some whispers are that Biden will withdraw and Obama will put Clinton on the ticket. This is all because Palin has REALLY energized the base of the Republican party. You don't know how much the grassroots Republicans are ecstatic over Palin. She will bring McCain millions of voters that he wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

It is more likely that Joe Biden (the human gaffe machine) will withdraw for some nefarious reason than Sarah Palin. In fact, Intrade has a bet on it. Still not likely, but some whispers are that Biden will withdraw and Obama will put Clinton on the ticket. This is all because Palin has REALLY energized the base of the Republican party. You don't know how much the grassroots Republicans are ecstatic over Palin. She will bring McCain millions of voters that he wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

I don't doubt that Biden is a lame duck and I think that the issues with Palin have probably stopped the media putting a lot of the spotlight on him.

However, the polls are steadily moving away from the republicans.

I think that Palin only energised the people who were going to vote Republican anyway or at least never vote for Obama. She is a right wing Christian Fundamentalist, which is going to turn off the people who are more in the middle.

could this be deja vu all over again ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_the_economy,_stupid

"It's the economy, stupid" was a phrase in American politics widely used during Bill Clinton's successful 1992 presidential campaign against George H.W. Bush. For a time, Bush was considered unbeatable because of foreign policy developments such as the end of the Cold War and the Persian Gulf War. The phrase, coined by Clinton campaign strategist James Carville, refers to the notion that Clinton was a better choice because Bush (Snr) had not adequately addressed the economy, which had recently undergone a recession.

In order to keep the campaign on message, Carville hung a sign in Bill Clinton's Little Rock campaign headquarters that said:

Change vs. more of the same
The economy, stupid
Don't forget health care.

1. I don't doubt that Biden is a lame duck and I think that the issues with Palin have probably stopped the media putting a lot of the spotlight on him.

2. However, the polls are steadily moving away from the republicans.

3. I think that Palin only energised the people who were going to vote Republican anyway or at least never vote for Obama. She is a right wing Christian Fundamentalist, which is going to turn off the people who are more in the middle.
mit I absolutely agree on 2 and 3 , but , as for Biden avoiding being put under the spotlight! :confused:

Here's his resume mate lol....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden
Biden was first elected to the Senate in 1972; sworn in 1973 at the Constitutional minimum age of 30, he became the fifth-youngest senator in U.S. history.

He was reelected to the Senate in 1978, 1984, 1990, 1996, and 2002.

He is a long-time member and current chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee and has worked on resolutions concerning the Yugoslav wars and Iraq War.

He has served as chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, dealing with issues related to drug policy, crime prevention, and civil liberties, and led creation of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act and Violence Against Women Act.

He chaired the Judiciary Committee during the contentious U.S. Supreme Court nominations of Robert Bork and Clarence Thomas.

Since 1991, Biden has also served as an adjunct professor at the Widener University School of Law.[3] There he teaches a seminar on constitutional law.[3]

Biden's elder son, Beau, had been a partner in a Wilmington law firm until he was elected Delaware Attorney General in 2006. He is a captain in the Delaware Army National Guard, where he serves in the Judge Advocate General's Corps, and is set to be deployed to Iraq in October 2008.[30]

Biden's younger son, Hunter, works as a lawyer in Washington and serves on the board of directors of Amtrak. Hunter also previously worked in the Commerce Department.

Biden abstains from drinking alcohol, and has stated that because alcoholism is so common in his extended family, he has never taken a drink in his life.[31]

In 1974, then-freshman Senator Biden was named one of the 200 Faces for the Future by Time magazine.[33]

Biden has since won five additional terms, usually with about 60 percent of the vote.[34] Biden spent 28 years as a junior senator due to the two-year seniority of his Republican colleague William V. Roth. After Roth was defeated for re-election by Thomas R. Carper in 2000, Biden became Delaware's senior senator. He is now the longest-serving senator in Delaware history.[35]

With a net worth between $59,000 and $366,000, and almost no outside income or investment income, he is consistently ranked as one of the least wealthy members of the Senate.[37][38][39] Biden states that he has been listed as the second poorest member in Congress, a distinction that he is not proud of, but attributes it to being elected early in his career.[40]

Biden sits on the board of advisors of the Close Up Foundation[41] and has been co-chair of the NATO Observer Group in the Senate.

I think you'd agree that his experience stacks up against Palin , yes? lol
The media would know him as well as his wife would ;)

The Democrats are to be more trusted with the economy and the Republicans if the war situation needs tough players.

McCain may have to move closer to George Bush if he is seen to have done well in this crisis and his ratings improve.

Obama may yet have to offer Hillary a high profile position if the going gets tough.

Biden's elder son, Beau, had been a partner in a Wilmington law firm until he was elected Delaware Attorney General in 2006. He is a captain in the Delaware Army National Guard, where he serves in the Judge Advocate General's Corps, and is set to be deployed to Iraq in October 2008.[30]
Oct 2008 apparently - Maybe that will nullify Pailn's son going to Iraq. - somehow being a reason we should suddenly elevate her to being a heartbeat away from the presidency.
:eek:

Close at the moment, but plenty of time in this race for the logical choice to sink in.. :2twocents

The Democrats are to be more trusted with the economy and the Republicans if the war situation needs tough players.

McCain may have to move closer to George Bush if he is seen to have done well in this crisis and his ratings improve.

Obama may yet have to offer Hillary a high profile position if the going gets tough.
Maybe Obama could have two running mates ?
Bit like the Hash House Harriers lol

mit I absolutely agree on 2 and 3 , but , as for Biden avoiding being put under the spotlight! :confused:

Here's his resume mate lol....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden

I think you'd agree that his experience stacks up against Palin , yes? lol

I think that the experience is there but I think that some of his decisions are questionable. I don't think, however, that Clinton would ever be Vice President, because the shadow of Bill and Hilary would be too much for any president. It would be like sharing a room with your mother-in-law.

Apparently, the republicans are starting to worry about Palin and she is being dropped from their adds and the posters are back to McCain from McCain/Palin.

1. because the shadow of Bill and Hilary would be too much for any president. It would be like sharing a room with your mother-in-law.

2. Apparently, the republicans are starting to worry about Palin and she is being dropped from their adds and the posters are back to McCain from McCain/Palin.
1. great analogy - but a bit unkind to mothers-in-law lol
2. wow - appreciate any links

I think that the experience is there ...
mit - to reinforce the idea how long he's been around - does anyone remember the days of real progress in the middle east - the Anwar Sadat days?

Attachments

• biden with anwar sadat.jpg
    biden with anwar sadat.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 83

Thanks mit ...

(I was aware of the trend in the polls, but not the trend away from her in the ads ... thanks)
Over the course of a single weekend, in other words, Palin went from being the most popular White House hopeful to the least.

The trendline is indisputable (it was just picked up by CBS). And just as Palin's initial popularity bolstered McCain, her sudden faltering is now bringing him back down to earth. You might have even noticed that the latest round of McCain ads don't even feature her or refer to "McCain/Palin." It's back to just "McCain." She was starting to drag him down.

Palin will continue to excite and energize the wingnut base. She was designed for that purpose, and won't fail at that task. But her cratering popularity now hampers McCain's efforts to expand beyond that core base.

and over the last 4 days

Obama now 4/6 ($1.67) ... in from ($1.70)
McCain now 7/5 ($2.40) ... out from ($2.25)

Gallup confirms that things are still "up and down" (changes and leads barely within margin of error surely) ...

The Palin factor is surely a thing of the past - it's getting down to serious consideration of the economy. :2twocents
http://www.easyodds.com/compareodds/specials/Politics/m/147587-234-5.html
http://www.gallup.com/poll/107674/Interactive-Graph-Follow-General-Election.aspx

3 more days down the road ..

Obama now 8/13 ($1.62)... in from 4/6 ($1.67) ... in from ($1.70)
McCain now 6/4 ($2.50) ... out from 7/5 ($2.40) ... out from ($2.25)

Gallup (surely) out of the realms of "margin of error"..

Doris,
Of course you are right , next week will be the interesting stuff. ;)

Attachments

• polls 20080920.jpg
    polls 20080920.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 61

Obama now 8/13 ($1.62)... in from 4/6 ($1.67) ... in from ($1.70)
McCain now 6/4 ($2.50) ... out from 7/5 ($2.40) ... out from ($2.25)

Gallup (surely) out of the realms of "margin of error"..

Doris,
Of course you are right , next week will be the interesting stuff. ;)

Too true, 2020.
But the Palin one will be the most interesting.

Pressure on Obama to hit hardest in first face-to-face showdown

THE pressure is on Barack Obama to crush John McCain, his Republican rival, in the first face-to-face presidential debate at the University of Mississippi on Friday.

Obama has recovered his support among white women after they deserted him for Sarah Palin, according to a CBS poll last week which showed that he had turned a 19-point deficit into a two-point lead in just nine days.

He now has to turn on the wit and charm and make good use of his youth to draw a contrast with the veteran McCain, 72, reinforcing his message of change. However, McCain, who has a stiff, cheesy delivery style for set speeches, can be quick on his feet.

Bill Clinton sounded a sceptical note about Obama’s abilities this weekend when he suggested that the race could remain tied until the election, “barring some unforeseen development” in the debates.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article4794817.ece

BTW... has a VP choice ever been swapped?

I can't recall any of Obama's memorable slogan for this election... besides the pig on a lipstick. He has to do better than this, and with America lurching into one of its worst crisis, there are plenty of opportunities to be cast as the savior.

Instead, his messages are now being drowned out by the weekly Sarah Palin hubris.

I can't recall any of Obama's memorable slogan for this election... besides the pig on a lipstick. He has to do better than this, and with America lurching into one of its worst crisis, there are plenty of opportunities to be cast as the savior.

Instead, his messages are now being drowned out by the weekly Sarah Palin hubris.

Have faith...

Obama gets big welcome in Republican Country

JACKSONVILLE -- To an amped and overflowing crowd in a Republican stronghold, Democrat Barack Obama stepped up his attacks on John McCain, saying Saturday that the Republican in these tough economic times "wants to do for healthcare what Washington did for banking.''

The overflow crowd at Jacksonville's Metropolitan Park -- capacity 13,000 -- ate it up.
McCain could barely muster 3,000 when he spoke nearby on Monday.

Obama said that McCain's campaign is so heavily run by lobbyists that the past head of Fannie Mae's lobbying shop recently stated that, ''When I see photographs of Sen. McCain's staff, it looks to me like the team of lobbyists who used to report to me.''
Said Obama: "Folks, you can't make this stuff up -- Gimme a break.''

Obama predicted he'd win Florida with Duval County's help, and he plans to stay in the state a little longer next week in Tampa Bay -- a crucial swing-vote area -- in a sign he might think he can take must-win Florida from McCain.

According to a new Miami Herald/St. Petersburg Times/Bay News 9 poll, McCain leads Obama overall by a negligible margin, but thrashes him 55-35 percent in North Florida.
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics/campaign-2008/story/694958.html

... doris, I notice new ads appearing ... :)

LOL...

Never a dull moment with you 2020. Your wife must have a lot of laugh wrinkles! ;)

But it's McCain who's skating on thin ice with his political-gimmick-puppet backfiring.
Silly man. He's following Dubya's model of being an alpha puppet. Shows his method of decision making. :(

Roll on Debate #1 next Saturday our time! Make or break time!