Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Re: Barack 2008!

a poem on the subject of Hillary's gradual starting to think about maybe giving a provisional concession - "but first I have to really rally the troops and gee up my supporters to fight to the bitter, bitter - (like, sulphuric acid bitter) - end."
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=301091&highlight=murder#post301091

http://donlmartin.newsvine.com/_news/2008/06/04/1538081-obama-pass-over-hillary-clinton-for-vp

I believe if Obama chooses Hillary Clinton as his V.P. He will get the majority of her "Eighteen Million Voters" that she is demanding be "Respected" I don't believe Obama has disrespected anyone democrat or republican. Hillary Clinton is telling Barack Obama: "Give me the V.P. job or you will be disrespecting my Eighteen Million Voters"

What good is it to gain Eighteen Million Hillary Voters and lose Eighteen Million of his own? Many if not all of Obama supporters are radically anti-Hillary. They never want to see another Bush-Clinton near the White House. etc

Conclusion :
"Obama, Pass Over Hillary Clinton For V.P.!"
:iagree:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/05/2266568.htm?section=world

Hillary Clinton says she will bow out of her marathon campaign for the White House on Saturday, and throw her full support behind Democratic rival Barack Obama.
The New York Senator had so far refused to concede defeat, saying she would deliberate in the coming days. "I will be speaking on Saturday about how together we can rally the party behind Senator Obama. The stakes are too high and the task before us too important to do otherwise," the letter said.
In refusing to concede immediately, Senator Clinton kept her options open, and her supporters spent Wednesday talking up her credentials to be Senator Obama's nominee for vice-president.
Senator Clinton's campaign chairman, Terry McAuliffe, told MSNBC television that an Obama-Clinton ticket would be "unstoppable." He added "I think we would have the White House for 16 years."

I was gonna say... Dylan speaks for the youth again.
Then I realised he's just turned 67 ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dylan

"uummm come grandmothers and grandfathers throughout the land......
errr - I forget the rest of the words - la da da da"

poem posted here :-
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=301753&highlight=dylan#post301753

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7441708.stm
Dylan 'hopeful' over Barack Obama

Democratic White House contender Barack Obama is "redefining what a politician is", musician Bob Dylan has said.

The star added he hoped for a new political landscape after the US presidential election in November.

"America is in a state of upheaval," Dylan told The Times. "We've got this guy out there now who is redefining the nature of politics from the ground up."

The 66-year-old went on: "I'm hopeful that things might change. Some things are going to have to."

That quote above... that he is "redefining politics from the ground up" ...
I liked a quote on the radio this morning ... that his leadership is all about top-down idealism. Hopefully he achieves (even) half of what he wants to. :2twocents

Re things changing:

Consider this scenario, which is very possible considering the latest sabre rattling:

* Obama is elected El Presidente

* Israel Attacks Iran

* Iran retaliates

Where does the US stand, under an Obama administration?

How much will change?

Re things changing:
Consider this scenario, which is very possible considering the latest sabre rattling:
* Israel Attacks Iran
* Iran retaliates

How much will change?

gee but jim webb for VP would make sense yes? - but he's reluctant apparently :eek:

I mean this bloke is a serious hero (from the Vietnam days) - two Purple Hearts etc...

Countdown: Jim Webb Interview May 21, 2008

"Hero" - Jim Webb For Obama's Vice President

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Webb
Webb received the Navy Cross for actions on July 10, 1969. The citation read:

“ The Navy Cross is presented to James H. Webb, Jr., First Lieutenant, U.S. Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism while serving as a Platoon Commander with Company D, First Battalion, Fifth Marines, First Marine Division (Reinforced), Fleet Marine Force, in connection with combat operations against the enemy in the Republic of Vietnam.

On 10 July 1969, while participating in a company-sized search and destroy operation deep in hostile territory, First Lieutenant Webb's platoon discovered a well-camouflaged bunker complex that appeared to be unoccupied. Deploying his men into defensive positions, First Lieutenant Webb was advancing to the first bunker when three enemy soldiers armed with hand grenades jumped out. Reacting instantly, he grabbed the closest man and, brandishing his .45 caliber pistol at the others, apprehended all three of the soldiers.

Accompanied by one of his men, he then approached the second bunker and called for the enemy to surrender. When the hostile soldiers failed to answer him and threw a grenade that detonated dangerously close to him, First Lieutenant Webb detonated a claymore mine in the bunker aperture, accounting for two enemy casualties and disclosing the entrance to a tunnel. Despite the smoke and debris from the explosion and the possibility of enemy soldiers hiding in the tunnel, he then conducted a thorough search that yielded several items of equipment and numerous documents containing valuable intelligence data.

Continuing the assault, he approached a third bunker and was preparing to fire into it when the enemy threw another grenade. Observing the grenade land dangerously close to his companion, First Lieutenant Webb simultaneously fired his weapon at the enemy, pushed the Marine away from the grenade, and shielded him from the explosion with his own body.

Although sustaining painful fragmentation wounds from the explosion, he managed to throw a grenade into the aperture and completely destroy the remaining bunker. By his courage, aggressive leadership, and selfless devotion to duty, First Lieutenant Webb upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the United States Naval Service.[6]

Hillary FTW

Barack has a snowball in hells chance of winning.:2twocents

Oh well...he still has to actually make it to election day, the red necks of
middle America will be queuing up to take shots at him.

Re things changing:

* Israel Attacks Iran

* Iran retaliates

How much will change?
Good question. This would be when we might see what is or is not behind all the fancy rhetoric. What do you think would happen, Wayne?

Oh well...he still has to actually make it to election day, the red necks of
middle America will be queuing up to take shots at him.
:bad: I would call that a sick post, so cyn

wayneL said:
What has that got to do with the question?
depending on what hypothetical question you want to put forward, but I'd trust Webb's opinion before McCain's any day :2twocents

Good question. This would be when we might see what is or is not behind all the fancy rhetoric. What do you think would happen, Wayne?
I think there is much more to the Israel/US relationship than meets the eye.

I think (and this is based on Obama's first speech on foreign affairs) that all the fancy rhetoric will be quickly forgotten, and we will again find that nothing really changes at all.

I think (and this is based on Obama's first speech on foreign affairs) that all the fancy rhetoric will be quickly forgotten, and we will again find that nothing really changes at all.

Call me cynical (i like to think as it as realism ;) ) but i think your right Wayne.

There are greater powers at work than actual politicians. Realistically the president is just a puppet for others...

If anyone is interested in learning more about Jim Webb ..... in this youtube he responds to some personal attacks, and summarises some of his novels - eg on the Vietnam war, eg A Sense of Honour et al - typical critiques:-

Houston Post: "few writers have portrayed men at war with such a steely truth" etc etc

Time Magazine: "the unmistakable sound of truth"...

Boston Globe: "a remarkable moral statement"

Wall street journal: "Webb is as much a moral philosopher of the military as a novelist , in a time when fiction finds it harder and harder to address moral issues this makes him a valuable man with a typewriter

Washington Post: "A century from now James Webb will be studied for the light he sheds on military life and civil / military relations"

etcetc
Jim Webb Responds Vigorously to False Personal Attacks

He also wants out of Iraq incidentally....

And he is very critical of the current (over) commitments of the US military....
let alone taking on more.. :2twocents

Luck is 'when preparation meets opportunity'.

The preparation for the opportunity in November is a major effort... again using grass roots.

Every great school I've worked in has been led by a principal who has encouraged staff and students to take ownership... then they worked hard to promote and achieve common goals. Dictatorial 'leaders' have always created division and provoked transfers to 'a better place'.

People take ownership of their little effort, as part of a team and enrich their self-esteem and social life in the process.

This is a logistically awesome yet simple preparation: (the 'bolding' is my effort)

Sent: Thursday, 12 June 2008 12:03 AM
To: Doris *******
Subject: Are you up to the challenge?

Dear Doris,

This has been a 50-state campaign from the very beginning. A year ago this week, our grassroots supporters organized a nationwide canvass in more than 1,000 cities to introduce people to Barack Obama.

Since then, we've had an unprecedented primary season that built a grassroots infrastructure in all 50 states -- not just for Barack, but for all of the Democratic candidates.

Now it's time to bring all of that energy together for our common cause of change.

All across the country, Democrats, Independents, and even Republicans are tired of the politics of the past and are looking for new solutions to the challenges we're facing.

That's why we're launching a nationwide day of action on Saturday, June 28th called "Unite for Change" -- and asking you to host a Unite for Change meeting in your neighborhood.

In all 50 states, supporters like you -- seasoned veterans and first-time volunteers alike -- will host house meetings to reach out and bring together folks who supported all of the Democratic candidates (and those who are just tuning into the process now).

The goal is to come together and use the common values we share to build a united volunteer organization in your neighborhood that will register new voters and build support locally.

It's going to be an amazing time, and hosting your own event is easy. We'll provide all the tools and resources you'll need. Here are the details:

Unite for Change Meetings
Saturday, June 28th
Host one in your community

Learn more and sign up to host a Unite for Change meeting:

http://my.barackobama.com/unite

We're heading into a battle against John McCain, and the stakes are higher than ever before.

But the path to victory is as simple as talking to your friends and neighbors.

From the beginning, this campaign has been about ordinary people reaching out and building the bonds of community -- empowering one another by coming together to make change.

With the general election approaching, it's more important than ever to keep this momentum going. And there's no better way to make this happen in your community than hosting a Unite for Change event.

You'll gather -- not just with Obama supporters, but with anyone who's tired of the politics of the past and ready for something new -- to share your stories and lay the plans for how to build this movement locally in the weeks and months ahead.

It requires some responsibility, but don't worry -- our team will be here with all the support and resources you need to make your Unite for Change event a big success.

Yesterday, our deputy campaign manager, Steve Hildebrand, announced that this will be the first campaign in a generation to put staff in all 50 states.

It says a lot about our movement -- and about the enthusiasm and resources people like you have supplied -- that this is possible.

But being in every state will not be enough.

In order to succeed in every community in America, it's going to be up to you to take the lead. Everyone who hopes for real change after November is counting on you.

Thank you,

Jon

Jon Carson
National Voter Contact Director
Obama for America

Paid for by Obama for America
This email was sent to: doris.*******@bigpond.com

There are greater powers at work than actual politicians. Realistically the president is just a puppet for others...

So, who is really the one pulling the strings of the puppet?

:)

Attachments

• storyofstuff.jpg
    storyofstuff.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 71

That's why we're launching a nationwide day of action on Saturday, June 28th called "Unite for Change" -- and asking you to host a Unite for Change meeting in your neighborhood. ..

a) so there's a prawn and beer night at your place on June 28th Doris?
and Bara(r)ck picks up the tab?
sounds ok by me ;)

b) like that old quote .. "Dyslexics of the world, Untie !!"

Call me cynical (i like to think as it as realism ;) ) but i think you're right Wayne.

Prawn you are talking in the present tense and I cannot agree more!

But change where the president is a puppet of the people, not lobbyists and special interests, is on the way:

Obama sends out army of volunteers

Barack Obama is to send thousands of campaign volunteers across the US this weekend as part of an urgent effort to create one of the most sophisticated political operations ever to contest a White House election.

Around 3,600 volunteers are being dispatched to reinforce advance staff deployed in 17 swing states... identified as ones that could determine the outcome of the November 4 general election.

Obama's 3,600 volunteers have given a commitment to do at least six weeks of unpaid political work. He put out a call for volunteers in April and more than 10,000 replied.

He is to move large parts of the Democratic headquarters staff from Washington to his campaign headquarters in his home town, Chicago.

Obama wants to try to avoid the kind of unnecessary duplication that hampered John Kerry's failed 2004 bid for the White House, when he won 251 electoral college votes, 19 short of the 270 needed to beat George Bush.

The latest opinion poll, published by NBC and the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday, puts Obama on 47% and McCain on 41%.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun/14/barackobama.johnmccain

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/gerard_baker/article4122437.ece

This writer is a Bush1te (and for that I hope his chooks turn into emus and kick his dunny down), but as far as I'm concerned, he is laying a fair amount of leather on the expectations of an Obama Presidency.

How much can change... really?

The foreign relations speech I heard him give was indiscernible to the current policy on the ME... i.e. Christian Zionism.

Ergo, nothing will change.