Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Australia Day

Mate if everyone in Australia was like her, it would be a much better place, she is the most amazing person I've ever met and I've met a lot.
Mr sp what a pity a lot more is not said about people like your daughter.
Instead of the "poor me" symdrome we seem to have to suffer.
More get up and go and the place would be a lot better for it, as you state.

Mr sp what a pity a lot more is not said about people like your daughter.
Instead of the "poor me" symdrome we seem to have to suffer.
Don't worry, I have one of those as well, that's what gives me an ability to view of the whoe is me syndrome objectively.
I see both sides of the coin first hand.

Don't worry, I have one of those as well, that's what gives me an ability to view of the whoe is me syndrome objectively.
I see both sides of the coin first hand.
I guess we re lucky in as much that our two son's who both have good well paid jobs one being a tradie and the other a vet, were never the sort to sit around waiting for a handout when they were young. Both had saturday morning paid jobs that earnt them the coin they wanted if something was needed outside of what we supplied.

I guess we re lucky in as much that our two son's who both have good well paid jobs one being a tradie and the other a vet, were never the sort to sit around waiting for a handout when they were young. Both had saturday morning paid jobs that earnt them the coin they wanted if something was needed outside of what we supplied.
Very fortunate indeed, my oldest son is of the same ilk as yours, I can't complain one out of four in this World isn't bad IMO, there are whole families of people with the same outlook as my second son. many he calls his best friends.
It is just unfortunate his siblings have cut him loose, after years of having their hand of charity bitten off, I still help out as a parent does.
Also both the sons are tradesmen in the same trade and there is only one year difference in age, plus both are strapping 6'4"guys.

Regardless of one's thoughts of Australia Day, the destruction of history is the path to stupidity. The full weight of the law must come down on anyone that damages public and personal property.

Australia Day protesters cut down Captain Cook statue in Melbourne

A century-old statue of Captain Cook has been hacked down by protesters on the eve of Australia Day and spray painted with the declaration: “The colony will fall”.
And a Queen Victoria statue near the Royal Botanic Gardens has also been splashed with red paint in a separate attack.

Police are investigating the overnight attack on the statue in St Kilda after the vandals chopped the historic landmark off at the ankles.

The vandals attacked the statue around 3.30am and spray painted the “the colony will fall” in red on the stone base.

1c0dd26ced2bb6540b2d59c1acd5baf2.jpg
The statue of Captain Cook in St Kilda has been cut down overnight. Thursday, January 25, 2024. Picture: David Crosling

36fe2103f4ef70c7e3013fb28f228388.jpg
The Captain Cook Statue in St Kilda.

Council workers have loaded the Captain Cook statue, which has stood in St Kilda since 1914, on to a truck and driven it away.

“Police are investigating criminal damage to a statue in St Kilda ... members of the public reported the Captain Cook Memorial in Jacka Boulevard had been vandalised,” a police spokesperson said.

“It is understood the statue was sawn off at the ankles. Several people were seen loitering in the area around the time of the incident.”

131999dbeeceae1e195ce1f83d4b3d88.jpg
The statue of Captain Cook in St Kilda has been cut down overnight. Thursday, January 25, 2024. Picture: David Crosling

Dr Bella d’Abrera, Director of the Institute of Public Affairs’ Foundations of Western Civilisation Program, described the attack as an outrage and branded the vandals as ignorant of history.

“Australians will be rightfully outraged by what has happened this morning. Far more Australians love their country and its national day, than there are activists who seek to tear down our history,” she said.

“The vandalism this morning underscores the ignorance of those who want to cancel Australia Day. Captain Cook had been dead for nearly ten years before the First Fleet arrived on 26 January 1788.

“Captain Cook was one of the greatest explorers who ever lived and today there is still much to learn from his great legacy.

“Research shows that in the past five years, less than one-in-five Australians want to change the date of Australia Day. It’s always noisy minority who are intent on trying to cancel mainstream Australians and stop us from celebrating our wonderful country.”

“January 26 is more than just a date, it represents the establishment of modern Australia as a free and fair country, it rightly should be celebrated. Mainstream Australians understand that cancelling Australia Day is an assault on the Australian way of life.”

City of Port Phillip councillor Marcus Pearl said the vandals “must be held to account for their actions”.

“This is not a solitary act of mischief. It’s a repeated pattern of disrespect, especially evident around Australia Day for the past six years,” he told the Herald Sun.

e208b833c4f7ac8833a2fa51e90a4752.jpg
The vandalised Captain Cook statue in St Kilda. Pictuire: Nine News

“Resorting to vandalism is not only condemnable but also undermines the con

structive discourse we strive for.

“Such acts blatantly disregard our community’s hard-fought principles of debate and democratic expression.”

I would say, those who think the colony will fall, should be grateful the colonisers were here in the second world war to save their ar$e from the Japanese, if it had fallen then we wouldn't be having this debate.

They need to look at the countries in the immediate area around Australia and ask themselves which one of their colonisers they would have preferred to have settled here? The French, Spanish etc. :roflmao:

Maybe one day, they will be able to take up their grievances with the Chinese, who knows. ;)

There is one thing that is obvious, the perpetrators have plenty of energy, hopefully they show the same gusto at work that is if they do work. 🤣

Last edited:
I would say, those who think the colony will fall, should be grateful the colonisers were here in the second world war to save their ar$e from the Japanese, if it had fallen then we wouldn't be having this debate.

They need to look at the countries in the immediate area around Australia and ask themselves which one of their colonisers they would have preferred to have settled here? The French, Spanish etc. :roflmao:

Maybe one day, they will be able to take up their grievances with the Chinese, who knows. ;)

There is one thing that is obvious, the perpetrators have plenty of energy, hopefully they show the same gusto at work that is if they do work. 🤣
London to a brick bet they are dole bludgers, or rent a rabble.

London to a brick bet they are dole bludgers, or rent a rabble.
Well it apparently happened at 3am, so they wouldn't have been working night shift and if they had to go to work today, I doubt they would be climbing statues in the night with a hacksaw. 🤣

The funny thing is those who go to work to pay their way, will end up having to pay for the statue to be fixed, one way or another.

It's amazing how enraged and entitled those who live on the proceeds of others feel, it's a shame they don't put as much effort into contributing to society, as they do into complaining about it IMO.

Well I guess the day will come, when those with a pride in their country will be called up to defend it, that will be an interesting day IMO, the media has done nothing but systematically destroyed that pride over the last 20 years. Lol

Well I guess the day will come, when those with a pride in their country will be called up to defend it, that will be an interesting day IMO, the media has done nothing but systematically destroyed that pride over the last 20 years. Lol
And will that other lot then so proud of their pride if called up. I doubt it.
Can't stand all this gay b/s

Regardless of one's thoughts of Australia Day, the destruction of history is the path to stupidity. The full weight of the law must come down on anyone that damages public and personal property.

Australia Day protesters cut down Captain Cook statue in Melbourne

A century-old statue of Captain Cook has been hacked down by protesters on the eve of Australia Day and spray painted with the declaration: “The colony will fall”.
And a Queen Victoria statue near the Royal Botanic Gardens has also been splashed with red paint in a separate attack.

Police are investigating the overnight attack on the statue in St Kilda after the vandals chopped the historic landmark off at the ankles.

The vandals attacked the statue around 3.30am and spray painted the “the colony will fall” in red on the stone base.

View attachment 169552The statue of Captain Cook in St Kilda has been cut down overnight. Thursday, January 25, 2024. Picture: David Crosling

View attachment 169553The Captain Cook Statue in St Kilda.

Council workers have loaded the Captain Cook statue, which has stood in St Kilda since 1914, on to a truck and driven it away.

“Police are investigating criminal damage to a statue in St Kilda ... members of the public reported the Captain Cook Memorial in Jacka Boulevard had been vandalised,” a police spokesperson said.

“It is understood the statue was sawn off at the ankles. Several people were seen loitering in the area around the time of the incident.”

View attachment 169554The statue of Captain Cook in St Kilda has been cut down overnight. Thursday, January 25, 2024. Picture: David Crosling

Dr Bella d’Abrera, Director of the Institute of Public Affairs’ Foundations of Western Civilisation Program, described the attack as an outrage and branded the vandals as ignorant of history.

“Australians will be rightfully outraged by what has happened this morning. Far more Australians love their country and its national day, than there are activists who seek to tear down our history,” she said.

“The vandalism this morning underscores the ignorance of those who want to cancel Australia Day. Captain Cook had been dead for nearly ten years before the First Fleet arrived on 26 January 1788.

“Captain Cook was one of the greatest explorers who ever lived and today there is still much to learn from his great legacy.

“Research shows that in the past five years, less than one-in-five Australians want to change the date of Australia Day. It’s always noisy minority who are intent on trying to cancel mainstream Australians and stop us from celebrating our wonderful country.”

“January 26 is more than just a date, it represents the establishment of modern Australia as a free and fair country, it rightly should be celebrated. Mainstream Australians understand that cancelling Australia Day is an assault on the Australian way of life.”

City of Port Phillip councillor Marcus Pearl said the vandals “must be held to account for their actions”.

“This is not a solitary act of mischief. It’s a repeated pattern of disrespect, especially evident around Australia Day for the past six years,” he told the Herald Sun.

View attachment 169555The vandalised Captain Cook statue in St Kilda. Pictuire: Nine News

“Resorting to vandalism is not only condemnable but also undermines the con

structive discourse we strive for.

“Such acts blatantly disregard our community’s hard-fought principles of debate and democratic expression.”
Last time I looked there was no shortage of bronze Cpt Cooks... probably more of them than corroboree frogs and a similar number to match extincted speices since 'whities' arrival.
Could have been more of a statememt if He'd been 'cutoff at the knees'
Ahh well there's always next time, this type of thing is working itself toward it's own tradition; must be getting on to 30 years since that big olde Norfolk pine was ring barked out at Kurnell where the good 'ol' Cpt'n ordered musket balls into the first first peoples he met.
Just decided to have a Sandwich for lunch... thanks for the inspiration Cpt'n, Ill be thinking of you.

Aboriginal mate is throwing an Australian day party got a jumping castle. Vietnamese mates are having a massive feed and drinking session too. Bunch of lebo mates are down the beach having a bbq.

This "wokeism" BS and those that support it needs to die.

Last time I looked there was no shortage of bronze Cpt Cooks... probably more of them than corroboree frogs and a similar number to match extincted speices since 'whities' arrival.
Could have been more of a statememt if He'd been 'cutoff at the knees'
Ahh well there's always next time, this type of thing is working itself toward it's own tradition; must be getting on to 30 years since that big olde Norfolk pine was ring barked out at Kurnell where the good 'ol' Cpt'n ordered musket balls into the first first peoples he met.
Just decided to have a Sandwich for lunch... thanks for the inspiration Cpt'n, Ill be thinking of you.
Would that be a coloniser avocado sandwich in Canberra, Orr ? Or a more traditional BBQ witchetty grub sanga. ;)

Well it apparently happened at 3am, so they wouldn't have been working night shift and if they had to go to work today, I doubt they would be climbing statues in the night with a hacksaw. 🤣

The funny thing is those who go to work to pay their way, will end up having to pay for the statue to be fixed, one way or another.

It's amazing how enraged and entitled those who live on the proceeds of others feel, it's a shame they don't put as much effort into contributing to society, as they do into complaining about it IMO.
Mr sp spot on i'm tired of the belly aching, poor me syndrome that seems to go with these types.

Aboriginal mate is throwing an Australian day party got a jumping castle. Vietnamese mates are having a massive feed and drinking session too. Bunch of lebo mates are down the beach having a bbq.

This "wokeism" BS and those that support it needs to die.
There is one thing for sure, this inclusiveness that Albo is pushing, is becoming the most dividing issue in Australia and is becoming the Albatross around his neck IMO.

It is a shame really, but the very reason Australia is thought of in such high esteem around the World is due to our wickedly pizz taking sense of humour, mateship and never say die attitude, that is what is being torn down IMO and I don't think people are liking it. The elite's are loving it, but the real ockers are over it, from what I'm seeing at the grass roots level.

Being PC is probably the most un Australian attribute an Aussie can have, it is more a pommie trait and what Aussies took the pizz out of them for, now the Government is trying to ram it down their throats I just can't see it working for them.

Maybe that's why there is very little talk about the 'Voice' and now the tax backflip (which I personally think is great), the internal polling must be showing some horrible numbers.
Those just having a crack and giving it a fair go, are getting fed up with hearing how bad they are and how special everyone else is. :wheniwasaboy:

I would never have thought Albo would be a one term Govt, but things are certainly sliding.