Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ASF spelling and grammar lessons

Far from it was a general comment, another word he uses was brung as in brung some thing upstairs so all you Shakespearean scholars can correct me .
Nothing to do with Shakespeare which I actually detest.

Antony Green, election analyst, I think most would agree is an astute, competent and intelligent individual. Yet the following appears on his blog:

The Rudd government completed a clean sweep of Labor government's across the country.

I'm sure your ability to judge grammar and punctuation will quickly tell us what's wrong here, Glen.

(I'm just trying to point out that to judge someone's intelligence and general competence on their capacity to spell and punctuate is a pretty flawed idea.)

Julia I only open my mouth to change feet and find English interesting and the play on words, puns etc the best humour available.
Anthony Green is a not like his surname when it comes to speaking, Clive James is another , Mr fry there are many with this natural talent.
One of the best lines would have to be Churchill " Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many too so few ".
Mr Burglar your referred on trial??

\
One of the best lines would have to be Churchill " Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many too so few ".
Oh god, could you at least get a direct quote right!
".......owed by so many to so few."
Please.

Julia I only open my mouth to change feet and find English interesting and the play on words, puns etc the best humour available.
Anthony Green is a not like his surname when it comes to speaking, Clive James is another , Mr fry there are many with this natural talent.
Mr Burglar your referred on trial??

Your problem G48 , is with grammar, spelling and especially syntax. I assume your age is 64. Most people of your age would have been well grounded in these aspects of literacy in primary school.

burglar notes that some here have excellent english

Glen48 claims to be in Phillipines ... therefore needs to be proficient only in American, native dialect and Shakespearian english.

....Shakespeare which I actually detest.
Julia, surely you jest! The Bard who gave us "A feast of languages"? :eek::p::D

I don't find myself rushing of to see the plays, but without Shakespeare, English idiom would be so much poorer. :2twocents

The Rudd government completed a clean sweep of Labor government's across the country.

Surely there must be grocer's genes somewhere in his ancestry. :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with Shakespeare which I actually detest.

I am surprised that you could actually detest Shakespeare who is widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. To belittle William Shakespeare is to belittle the English Language.

I am surprised that you could actually detest Shakespeare who is widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. To belittle William Shakespeare is to belittle the English Language.
I didn't belittle him at all. I'm perfectly happy to accept that everything about him is remarkable. I simply don't enjoy that sort of language or drama.
Similarly love much music but don't especially enjoy opera. Too florid, or something.

I didn't belittle him at all. I'm perfectly happy to accept that everything about him is remarkable. I simply don't enjoy that sort of language or drama.

I agree. I appreciate and enjoy the beauty of his language, so long it is in a short quote. I find his plays boring to the extreme mainly due to the type of language. It requires too much concentration to pick up the meaning.

I agree. I appreciate and enjoy the beauty of his language, so long it is in a short quote. I find his plays boring to the extreme mainly due to the type of language. It requires too much concentration to pick up the meaning.
"Frailty, thy name is woman."

Shakespeare has a quote for you; "For my part, it was Greek to me."

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/w/william_shakespeare_2.html#wVuMpjhdYVwsHsyR.99

He even invented an insult that fits Juliia Gillard perfectly;

"A most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality."

Similarly love much music but don't especially enjoy opera. Too florid, or something.

Yer I didn't see it as belittling, more like \/

I find his plays boring to the extreme mainly due to the type of language. It requires too much concentration to pick up the meaning.

I've been to a small number of plays and it certainly is hard work.

But his impact on our language is great. Most of us use Shakespearean euphemisms all the time without ever realizing the source.

Yes, remarkable indeed. :)

Found this on Bolt's blog today...:D:

florist_thumb.jpg

Source: Do not ask the florist to speak English

That should have read Roast and Pea's they didn't understand what cremating meant.

Avaunt, you cullions! Henry V (3.2.20) to all Shakespeare belittlers.

A little more belittling to come ...

Is that supposed to be English or misspelt/mispronounced French? :D

Here's a spelling lesson, Shakey-baby:
En avant, couillons.

or maybe he meant...

Allez vous-en, couillons.

;)

A little more belittling to come ...

Is that supposed to be English or misspelt/mispronounced French? :D

Here's a spelling lesson, Shakey-baby:
En avant, couillons.

or maybe he meant...

Allez vous-en, couillons.

;)

It's Middle English.

Hoist by your own petard? (ref - Hamlet Act 3, scene 4

It's Middle English.

Hoist by your own petard? (ref - Hamlet Act 3, scene 4

You couldn't rearrange 'petard' out of that phrase, either, just like how you couldn't modify our flag... even though the British keep claiming that their flag's on ours, and they want it removed.

But wasn't Middle English just a more respectable name for pidgin French?

Only stirring :D

You couldn't rearrange 'petard' out of that phrase, either, just like how you couldn't modify our flag... even though the British keep claiming that their flag's on ours, and they want it removed.

But wasn't Middle English just a more respectable name for pidgin French?

Only stirring :D

More Teutonic with grudging concessions to the frogs really. :p:

Nine MSN:

At the station Mr Lovell was told to blow into a machine so officers could get a more accurate blood-alcohol reading but he frustrated the police by inhaling into the machine's mouthpiece rather than blowing.

This occurred twice, and before Mr Lovell was asked to blow a third time an officer asked him if he was going to submit to the test, to which he replied that he already had twice.

Mr Lovell was then told that if he did not submit to the test he could face a $3000 fine or 12 months in jail.

He said he understood the situation before again failing to blow into the machine.

An officer, reading from a form then asked Mr Lovell if he was "prepared" to take a blood test instead, which he also refused.

Mr Lovell was then charged with failing to submit to a breath test and appeared in Hobart Magistrates Court.

However, he was acquitted when a magistrate ruled the officer should have said "do you elect to" instead of "are you prepared to" when offering the blood test to Mr Lovell.

The magistrate said there was "a subtle but important difference" between the words used on the night of the incident and the required words.

Magistrate Rheinberger said it was important for police to make clear that there is a right to a blood test instead of a breath test.

Police appealed the decision, but had no joy at the Supreme Court of Hobart yesterday.

Justice David Porter upheld the magistrate's decision saying she was correct to note the distinction between "prepared to" and "elect to".