Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ASF spelling and grammar lessons

Miner, with English as your second language, you set a terrific example.

Apart from some differences in syntax, you frequently write way better English than many who claim it as their first language.

And your willingness to absorb e.g. Dickens, is something many Australians could emulate.

OMG

I felt humbled and thanks Julia for your kind words.
I will focus on syntax - only problem is that many a times even I try, do not know what should be the right syntax (seriously). Any way thanks again.

Bad spelling, incorrect grammar, and incorrect use of language drive me crazy. The English language is amazing in its variety and allows such fine and subtle degrees of meaning and expression, so using it correctly not only enhances communication, but it is a pleasure to read and listen to.

When someone says "could of" instead of "could have" they often don't even know it is wrong, and it is the same with many of the other travesties of language we hear every day.

Another of my pet hates is the use of the apostrophe with a plural, and it is not even consistent! "Here are the photo's of the boys in the football team." It makes me want to scream!!! AAAARRRRGHH!!!!!

Disclaimer:- I don't claim that my English expression is perfect. Mistakes slip through.

Can people please put a subject into their sentences FFS!
As in "Just came across this thread and thought it's the bee's knees!" ?
Wel, while I agree in principle, I do accept some laxity in a chatroom; meaning, where the subject ("I") is so obvious, I can let it slip.

But generally, I agree with the tenor of the comments earlier contributors made. I find it deplorable that so little time is spent in schools on elocution, grammar, synax, and semantics - let alone spelling and apostrphes.

IMHO, the bad seed was sown a good generation ago, when more importance was placed on children's "feeling good about themselves" and correcting mistakes they made was seen to "dent their litle egos". What utter nonsense! Teaching should be done by setting good examples, sure; but if the example doesn't get through, the teacher has to point at the mistake and clarify what, why, and how. Good teachers can achieve that without denting pupils' little egos.
Social Engineers also did away with grading performance. If a student rates an F, mark their paper with an F; if the parents are even the slightest bit interested in their kid's wellbeing, they will know what an F means - and will seek specific help to target any shortcomings. Which can be done without damaging the child's psyche.
Too many young adults start their working life today utterly ignorant of basic self-assessment. They believe they know everything, because nobody ever told them that there's much more to learn; that there are far better ways to express themselves; that manners matter when dealing with customers or - Heaven forbid! - Supervisors, Managers, "Elders".

And then they cry FOUL! when a company hires immigrants in preference to a "true-blue Aussie" because those "Aliens" have studied the language as a serious subject. We accepted grades as welcome feedback, which areas could be improved. And our English teachers started each new topic with an explanation of basic linguistic rules, underlying grammar, spelling, origin of words - right down to choice of literature worth reading and using as examples. Those things stick. :cool:

PS: After submitting my previous reply, I was called away from my office for longer than the 20 minutes permitted to amend those nasty typos. I trust you believe me that I know "well" has two ells and syntax merits a t.

ASF isn't just a place to discuss the stockmarket and world events, its also a place of learning.
There are five prime numbers less than ten.
(with to be)

They're 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7. (contraction of they are)

Thanks for the spelling and mathematics lessons.

P.S. I was of the understanding that the number "1" is not considered to be prime as it's inclusion in the set of prime numbers would invalidate many mathematical formulae/theories and the universe, as we know it, would come to an abrupt and untimely end!

As in "Just came across this thread and thought it's the bee's knees!" ?
I so agree. Another example that drives me nuts is not properly including the subject in a thread heading. e.g. "What do you think of this?" then a link which has to be clicked on while remaining ignorant of the subject. How hard is it to include the subject in the heading so people don't waste their time with a link in which they have no interest.

But generally, I agree with the tenor of the comments earlier contributors made. I find it deplorable that so little time is spent in schools on elocution, grammar, synax, and semantics - let alone spelling and apostrophes.
There seems to be some attempt these days to revert to teaching grammar at least. The problem is, however, that the teachers themselves were not taught this so haven't a clue.

IMHO, the bad seed was sown a good generation ago, when more importance was placed on children's "feeling good about themselves" and correcting mistakes they made was seen to "dent their litle egos".
Ah, the 'precious little snowflake' syndrome. At birthday parties where the children play games there is no longer a winner. Every kid, precious little sweetheart, wins a prize, because they are all wonderful little individuals.

How on earth, dear parents, is this preparing your darling little snowflake for the real world where there sure as hell are winners and losers, and it's just not OK to be slack and still expect to get all the blue ribbons.

Social Engineers also did away with grading performance. If a student rates an F, mark their paper with an F;
This goes with the precious snowflake syndrome above, resulting in kids being put up to the next grade even when they have quite dismally failed their current year.
Consequently, when they should have acquired a basic education they frequently lack the basic literacy required to even fill out a Centrelink dole request form.

Have a mate who has his own version of English using words like " went to a party and the food came our so we et all that"

One would think you are talking to an Alien.

Oh my, you're brave, correcting anyone, Wayne! I usually just grind my teeth in frustration but am unprepared to risk the ensuing chorus of "spelling nazi" if I utter a correction.

Have a mate who has his own version of English using words like " went to a party and the food came our so we et all that"

One would think you are talking to an Alien.
Not at all. This was a quite standard pronunciation of "ate" in parts of Britain, particularly up until the 20th centure and is still considered "proper" by many today.

Not at all. This was a quite standard pronunciation of "ate" in parts of Britain, particularly up until the 20th centure and is still considered "proper" by many today.

"Et" for "ate" is very common in present day Ireland too. I use both. I'm trying to figure out why I chose one over the other and I think I use "et" when talking about animals and "ate" for people. As in - the dog et it versus she ate it. I haven't really thought about it up to now, so I am not sure if I do it consistently that way.

Agree that was one word he used that I can think of and not sure of the spelling but he had many others almost like spoonerism's.
I use bad grammar and spelling as a reference when I am dealing with some one to gauge the level of intelligence and to judge if the person knows his stuff.
The Englishmen language is the hardest to master when word like wind and wind can mean two different things, wound and wound.
No wonder Nino Colta ? had trouble.

Oh my, you're brave, correcting anyone, Wayne! I usually just grind my teeth in frustration but am unprepared to risk the ensuing chorus of "spelling nazi" if I utter a correction.

The enamel on my teeth is getting for too thin for that anymore. :p:

I use bad grammar and spelling as a reference when I am dealing with some one to gauge the level of intelligence and to judge if the person knows his stuff.
For you to judge others on the accuracy of their grammar and spelling means you are very confident of your own mastery in this regard. Is it so?

Far from it was a general comment, another word he uses was brung as in brung some thing upstairs so all you Shakespearean scholars can correct me .

Far from it was a general comment, another word he uses was brung as in brung some thing upstairs so all you Shakespearean scholars can correct me .

You've been here a long time, so many posts, .... GSOH
Some brilliant typos obviously deliberate, whatever!:D

So, why are you on trial??