Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ASF spelling and grammar lessons

Grammar

I am old enough to have been taught grammar at school, and some of it I can still remember! Judging by what is common (mis)use these days, others have been less fortunate.
For example:
your and you're
there, their and they're
to and too
its and it's

Although it's easy enough to work out the meaning of what a person has written, it is often necessary to backtrack before the meaning is clear - this is tiresome.

I realise that languages evolve over time, but the widespread misuse of basic words, leading to confusion and ambiguity, is another matter.

And while I'm having a gripe, what's this "k" that Kiwis (Aussies too?) are sticking on the end of words like "anything" and "nothing"? At the rate some people are goingk, they will be singkingk songks before too longk!

Have a good Xmas everyone!

Cheers, Wrong'un

The word "programme" seems now to consistently be spelled "program".
In fact even as I type this, I'm getting the red underlining indicating that "programme" is misspelled.

Yet another Americanism we seem to have adopted.

Ditto the pronunciation of "schedule" as "skedule" by journalists and news readers.

Grrr.:(

In fact even as I type this, I'm getting the red underlining indicating that "programme" is misspelled.

Ditto the pronunciation of "schedule" as "skedule" by journalists and news readers.

Hi Julia, Yes, most dictionaries accept 'program' as an alternative spelling of 'programme' - unless they are American of course.

On 'schedule', my dictionary accepts an alternative spelling of 'scedule'. Can't find 'skedule' however. I believe the spelling of 'schedule' came through Shakespeare.
Old spelling was 'shejyeol' and accepted by Britain and Canada, until Shakespeare - well, so some say.

program/programme The spelling program is to be preferred, even if prejudice is unlikely to see it adopted in Australia on the ground that it is "American". Program was the regular English spelling until last century, when the word fell victim to the embellishers, and in any case it is related to words such as telegram and diagram. Program has for many years been the official spelling of this word by the Australian Broadcasting Commission.

(Right Words - A Guide to English Usage in Australia, by Stephen Murray-Smith. 1989)

With predominantly American television and cinema consumed by millions this is some form of word parroting. What about the Australians that have lived in America for any length of time that start talking like an American? That is complete submersion. Not sure if it is a conscious or unconscious phenomena. To blend in.

You'd be an idiot to mispell 'eggs' if you're a native speaker, or 'Australian' as an Australian. We see these words all the time. 'Ridiculous' isn't an uncommon word, but I don't think most people come across it regularly when reading or writing. There's also the bad influence - seeing someone write 'rediculous' and then assuming they're correct.

I don't think a spelling error suggests a poor education or lack of effort, which is why I wouldn't jump on someone for a spelling mistake. Not everyone uses every word often enough to log the correct spelling. There are limits though, if sumwun startd speling leik thise i wud haf two poke mie eis owt - I'd find that offensive.

My favourite gripe is the word "specific" (SPEE - SIF - ICK) and not to be confused with the other word "pacific" (PA - SIF - ICK) .... the second one is an ocean. The amount of times these two words are transposed irks the heck out of me it does ! Newsreaders especially F*CK this up regularly. I find myself shouting at the TV correcting them on the announciation. Rant over ... back to normal transmission now. :2twocents

In many countries and not only Australia this happens. Not typographical error but not knowing how to spell the word lose.

The word lose appears on financial forums often and it is a word a lot (alot is two words ;)) of people spell wrong. They think lose has two o's and spell it loose.

In many countries and not only Australia this happens. Not typographical error but not knowing how to spell the word lose.

The word lose appears on financial forums often and it is a word a lot (alot is two words ;)) of people spell wrong. They think lose has two o's and spell it loose.
There is also the verb 'allot', to distribute or divide as a lot. On lose and loose; there is 'loos or los' which refer to praise and reputation. [also the battle of Loos in 1915]

You'd be an idiot to mispell 'eggs' if you're a native speaker, or 'Australian' as an Australian. We see these words all the time. 'Ridiculous' isn't an uncommon word, but I don't think most people come across it regularly when reading or writing. There's also the bad influence - seeing someone write 'rediculous' and then assuming they're correct.

Ridiculous!

:D:D

OK, heres one for you spelling fanatics, help me out please.

What is the easiest way to have your ASF posts auto spell-checked?

I note a regular poster with very fine spelling alluded to the fact that their posts are spell checked.

Would they type their replies via a third party program then cut and paste, or use some spell check software?..another way?

I just type things up quickly and spelling be buggered, unless if I really want to know myself, then I individually spell check the word.

I know for a fact my spelling is well above average, but a spell checker will make me seem so much smarter.:)

ps, no spell check used on this post