Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ASF spelling and grammar lessons

Julia
you're gonna have to think a bit less literally - a bit more laterally - with a bit of levity maybe.
Your advice as to how I should think is noted. I will treat it with the same lack of interest as I regard your re-appearance on this forum.

It has been a blessing not to have to wade through pages of U Tube videos, most of which were astonishingly irrelevant.

Incidentally there's a song called "Here there and everywhere" - but I won't post the youtube - I'm sure you know it, and it would only (obviously) upset you.

Is or actually wrong there ?

I dont think so.

Then think again. It's either/or, neither/nor. You also missed an apostrophe in your second sentence. I'll let you work out where it should have been; that can be your homework :)

Now I really am off to bed, I have to be up at 0430.

Then think again. It's either/or, neither/nor. You also missed an apostrophe in your second sentence. I'll let you work out where it should have been; that can be your homework :)

Now I really am off to bed, I have to be up at 0430.

Ok you would be one of the very few who still follow that rule and as far as apostrophes go. I dont usually punctuate at all in this medium, no one knows or cares.

Sleep well:cool:

Guess this is a figure of speech , and could be discussed here (as well as anywhere):- Heard Adam Spencer discussing them the other day on 2BL Sydney... ( funny dude)

Mondegreens - attributed to a Sylvia Wright etc

http://wordie.org/words/lady mondegreen

Ye Highlands and ye Lowlands,
Oh, where hae ye been?
They hae slain the Earl of Murray,
And they laid him on the green.

became
They hae slain the Earl of Murray,
And the Lady Mondegreen.

Hence ...
Australians all eat ostriches
Four minus one is three.
With olden royals, we're well and loyal,
Our home is dirt by sea.
I learned to bounce on nature strips
In booties stitched with care.
In mystery's haze, let's harvest maize
And plant azaleas there.
Enjoy full trains and let us in
And dance Australia yeah!

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea
Our land abounds in Nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia fair!
In joyful strains then let us sing,
'Advance Australia fair!'

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/humor/mondegreens.asp

Will you still need me, will you still feed me , when I'm six feet four.
The ants are my friends, they're blowing in the wind,
Deck the halls with Buddy Holly etc
etc etc

Obama's elf - don't wanna be
Obama's elf any more...

Hence ...
There could be no more less capable person to hijack a thread for self indulgence.
kennas I fear your biggest poster byline is in for a 2020 thrashing.

MrBurns I have omitted one hyphen and four commas. Plus trangressed on capitalisation rules because I respect the integrity of nics.
Please submit your homework to someone who cares.

rederob - question.
have you ever seen it written "four days' duration"?
I saw it the other day - maybe it was correct in the 18th century - maybe?

PS in my opinion figures af speech (arguably but possibly not including Mondegreens) have as much interest value as do repeated pointing out of typo errors. Just my :2twocents

To those wgo say it's not kosha to mention them here (Mondegreens, etc), then so be it - back to your... err .. pedantry.

There could be no more less capable person to hijack a thread for self indulgence.
In reply I'd probably add , "no more less" = more or less, "no".

"and if immoral doors we sometimes pass
just hope to pass on more-a-less a-doored" - whatever

I've been told, sometimes with foulest of language (which is always spelt correctly, surprisingly)

This is so funny! Never thought of that.

Maybe in schools teachers could say "Now it is time for the effing spelling lesson." Might work?

PS I leave "wgo" as an intentional typo - something for the pedants to latch onto. - bit like a draftsman who intentionally leaves off the north arrow on his drawing, so that the boss can feel important when he corrects it.

PS Those who'd prefer to make nonsensical and unneccesary arguments - about grammar for cryssake , sheesh - instead of posting a humourous "mispronounced lyric" = mondagreen . cheers. Takes all types I guess :2twocents

PPS. I still like that one ...
"Obama's elf - don't wanna be, Obama's elf any more..."
worth a look at the youtube if you haven't already. :)

PS I leave "wgo" as an intentional typo - something for the pedants to latch onto. - bit like a draftsman who intentionally leaves off the north arrow on his drawing, so that the boss can feel important when he corrects it.

PS Those who'd prefer to make nonsensical and unneccesary arguments - about grammar for cryssake , sheesh - instead of posting a humourous "mispronounced lyric" = mondagreen . cheers. Takes all types I guess :2twocents

PPS. I still like that one ...
"Obama's elf - don't wanna be, Obama's elf any more..."
worth a look at the youtube if you haven't already. :)

What a crock...

Gradually the worthwhile contributions to this thread will disappear in the face of its hijacking with utter rubbish, something which was mercifully absent for a very enjoyable period of time.

Just brushing up on the possessive noun events and where to place the apostrophe.

First we must decide whether the noun is singular or plural.

For example the one I missed.

a) The damage done to a person`s brain.

The noun "person" is singular in this instance. (one person -> two people)

Let`s (let us :)) look at a plural example.

b) My friends` brains were dysfunctional due to taking drugs.

The noun "friend" is pluralised in this instance because there are more than one friend. (one friend -> two friends)

Simply changing sentence structure does avoid possessive noun situations.

After all that I hope I`m right. :eek:

I would have thought ' was more correct than `.

Compare it's to it`s.

Pedants rule, OK!

:D:D

Just brushing up on the possessive noun events and where to place the apostrophe.

First we must decide whether the noun is singular or plural.

For example the one I missed.

a) The damage done to a person`s brain.

The noun "person" is singular in this instance. (one person -> two people)

Let`s (let us :)) look at a plural example.

b) My friends` brains were dysfunctional due to taking drugs.

The noun "friend" is pluralised in this instance because there are more than one friend. (one friend -> two friends)

Simply changing sentence structure does avoid possessive noun situations.

After all that I hope I`m right. :eek:
You are,Wysiwyg.

I would have thought ' was more correct than `.
What does the above relate to, Wayne?

Compare it's to it`s.
Presumably you're referring to the unnecessary space around the apostrophe?

I notice many more unnecessary and inappropriate apostrophes inserted than those omitted. e.g. banana's for sale

You're right, of course. I didn't even notice that. Just looked at the examples (a) and (b) which is what I thought you were questioning.

Um, why were you asking if you were right if you already knew the answer??

You're right, of course. I didn't even notice that. Just looked at the examples (a) and (b) which is what I thought you were questioning.

Um, why were you asking if you were right if you already knew the answer??

Julia, self doubt, W.