Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ASF spelling and grammar lessons

Im just a "hokey" kind of guy i guess :)

i guess my lack of articulation at times is definately through laziness and often from me getting overexcited and in a rush to get my thoughts on the screen, especially when i read something that irks me.

i DO however have a few problems with puntuation and spelling especially with words like to/too ,their /there etc .i am no rhodes scholar and never professed to be one

but yes laziness in taking the time to proof read my posts and spending the time correcting them would be the major culprit..

however , since being on ASF i have learnt to spell so many more big words :D

i make no apologies for my typing skills but will try and be a little more concious of my blatant abuse of the english language in the future

other than that

thanks guys for your patience

i've heard of pseudo intelectuals but a pseudo bogan takes the cake...punctuation. lol

Im just a "hokey" kind of guy i guess :)

i guess my lack of articulation at times is definately through laziness and often from me getting overexcited and in a rush to get my thoughts on the screen, especially when i read something that irks me.

i DO however have a few problems with puntuation and spelling especially with words like to/too ,their /there etc .i am no rhodes scholar and never professed to be one

but yes laziness in taking the time to proof read my posts and spending the time correcting them would be the major culprit..

however , since being on ASF i have learnt to spell so many more big words :D

i make no apologies for my typing skills but will try and be a little more concious of my blatant abuse of the english language in the future

other than that

thanks guys for your patience

No one kin rap baaaad English dese days partly cuz' of de Labo' dominated educashun system and partly cuz' of TV and slack standard's generally. Slap mah fro!

No one kin rap baaaad English dese days partly cuz' of de Labo' dominated educashun system and partly cuz' of TV and slack standard's generally. Slap mah fro!

Does that translate to "spank my monkey"?

WOOOOOO HOOOOO i just got me a spell checker!!

look out ASF im gunna be watching all ya posts from now on :D

LOL @ Nun

Text messaging and chat/messenger hasnt helped the kids of today, with all these abbreviations they use.

It's a cop-out to blame poor teaching for our low literacy standards. While there is no doubt that our teachers (and our teachers' teachers) set low standards, we have everything available at our fingertips to raise our personal fluency in our native language to any level to which we aspire.

It is a matter of attitude. Millions of people in third world and developing countries who are learning English as a second language under adverse conditions can attest to this.

Combine that knowledge with a positive expectancy trend following system and you can't not fail over the longer term.

Double negatives can be a real bitch :D.

(Not my bold or underlining BTW)

It's a cop-out to blame poor teaching for our low literacy standards. While there is no doubt that our teachers (and our teachers' teachers) set low standards, we have everything available at our fingertips to raise our personal fluency in our native language to any level to which we aspire.
It is a matter of attitude. Millions of people in third world and developing countries who are learning English as a second language under adverse conditions can attest to this.

Don't blame the education system ??????????

you're joking right ?

It's the students fault for not seeking to be educated outside the school ?

you're joking right ?

Sounds like a Labor teachers cop out blaming everyone but themselves.

The standards are APPALLING they don't correct spelling because it might compromise the students individuality or some such crap, I really believe the teachers cant spell either half the time, thanks Labor.

We arent a 3rd world country and we shouldnt accept their standards in our classrooms.

Had my 12 year old grandaughter here the xmas before last......I was appalled, reading writing spelling arithmatic...all absolutley atrocious....
4 kids and a single mother....was she too busy, teachers too busy....
or was it my fault....I live Melb, they are in Sydney...I see them once a year ....the responsibility rests with mother and the teachers ...

so I made her spend 3 hours a day of her holidays, doing exercises, spelling etc and then testing her....a remarkable difference by the time she left....
but hey...otherwise she knows everything about kids games, fashion, latest movies...
ps I have no idea what they do in school 5 days a week...have fun ???
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mr Burns, you obviously ignored what I said, and that is, despite the appalling English teaching standards in our schools, anyone who has the right attitude can raise their level of literacy to whatever standard they wish. And I'm not joking.

And if they had parents like Kincella, who cared, it would help.

Mr Burns, you obviously ignored what I said, and that is, despite the appalling English teaching standards in our schools, anyone who has the right attitude can raise their level of literacy to whatever standard they wish. And I'm not joking.

Of course they can, but 10 year old kids don't know to do that and their parents think they're being taught by competent people.

Complain to the teachers and they just go off on "stress leave"

George Orwell wrote this in 1945;

http://www.k-1.com/Orwell/index.cgi/work/essays/language.html

Now that I have made this catalogue of swindles and perversions, let me give another example of the kind of writing that they lead to. This time it must of its nature be an imaginary one. I am going to translate a passage of good English into modern English of the worst sort. Here is a well-known verse from Ecclesiastes:

I returned and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
Here it is in modern English:

Objective considerations of contemporary phenomena compel the conclusion that success or failure in competitive activities exhibits no tendency to be commensurate with innate capacity, but that a considerable element of the unpredictable must invariably be taken into account.

How uncannily Ruddspeak.

btw, famous examples of bad spelling ...

there vs their vs they're
Hear vs here

what about
Semper ubi sub ubi, ...Always where underwhere.

or...
Romanes eunt domus ..Translation: A sentence scrawled on a wall by an Israelite in Monty Python's Life of Brian, intended to mean "Romans go home." A Roman soldier catches him at it, ridicules the bad grammar ("Some people called Romanes, they go, the house?!") and forces him, not to remove it, but to correct it to Romani ite domum.

I frequently read about people "loosing" money on their trades instead of "losing" it.

Or, is that somehow a reference to people being "fast and loose" with their money?

There is a reason for this. It is difficult to fluidly read someone's idea and expression if one has to pause to interpret the incorrect spelling and grammar often. I find an incorrectly placed their/there for example, interrupts my thought as I read.

There's a difference between someone typing "were" instead of "we're", and someone typing as if they were in a speed chat. I too find awfully written posts to be painful to read, but few people around here do that. Often, requesting someone to type properly will solve the problem.

Calliope said:
Yes it does. But if they don't do it through ignorance, it must be because they are slovenly and lazy.

Yes, it must be. I'm glad you take the time to proof-read your own posts.

Nun, I find your typing fine. It's mainly internet talk that annoys me. Examples: Lol, roflmao, b4, m8, sum1, etc. Horrible stuff.

Tink said:
Text messaging and chat/messenger hasnt helped the kids of today, with all these abbreviations they use.

No it hasn't. Unfortunately, the problem spreads far further than 'kids'. Sms texts are a significant cause, and have affected all ages. Don't be fooled and assume this is the best people can manage, as it's as much (perhaps more) about culture than about literacy standards. It's 'cool' and easy to type b4 rather than before. If someone does use b4, it certainly does not mean they do not know how to correctly spell the word. As usual, people are making assumptions. Please don't.

Some fairly obvious grammar mistakes from one of the reporters of the Tour de France on SBS - I dont think anyone really cares as long as they get the general drift.

I'm neither lazy or sloveny.

I'm neither lazy nor slovenly.

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can. i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Yes I can read this but it slows my reading speed. The same thing happens with the incorrect use of there/they're/their, to/too, no full stops or capitals to indicate end/start of sentences, etc. When pointing these things out in the past on various forums (fora?) I've been told, sometimes with foulest of language (which is always spelt correctly, surprisingly) that it doesn't matter as long as the meaning is clear. I say that it does matter, because what writers of poor English are implying is that their time is more important than their readers' time. That is, possibly hundreds of readers have to take time to interpret what would have been immediately obvious if the writer had shown more consideration and got it right in the first place.

Thank you and good night :)

btw, famous examples of bad spelling ...

there vs their vs they're
Hear vs here
This has already been discussed, in detail.

Some fairly obvious grammar mistakes from one of the reporters of the Tour de France on SBS - I dont think anyone really cares as long as they get the general drift.
Completely disagree.

I'm neither lazy nor slovenly.

Yes I can read this but it slows my reading speed. The same thing happens with the incorrect use of there/they're/their, to/too, no full stops or capitals to indicate end/start of sentences, etc. When pointing these things out in the past on various forums (fora?) I've been told, sometimes with foulest of language (which is always spelt correctly, surprisingly) that it doesn't matter as long as the meaning is clear. I say that it does matter, because what writers of poor English are implying is that their time is more important than their readers' time. That is, possibly hundreds of readers have to take time to interpret what would have been immediately obvious if the writer had shown more consideration and got it right in the first place.

Thank you and good night :)
Ah, bassmanpete, thank you for saying what I've wanted to say but lacked the fortitude.

This has already been discussed, in detail.

Julia
you're gonna have to think a bit less literally - a bit more laterally - with a bit of levity maybe.

You indeed mentioned "here" and "there" in a post way back there.
so I introduced "where" ...

get it ?

Bless you, Timmy Just hope people read your post.

But by far the most common error (which drives me nuts) is "there" for "their" and vice versa.

Let's just try this: "I am going there".

"They all took off their coats".

Is that too hard to remember?

Another rather curious one was "Here, Here!" as an endorsement of what someone has said.
Does that really make sense?
It's "Hear, hear", or fairly obviously an admonition to the audience to 'listen up' to the wisdom being espoused.

We hear it constantly when the politicians are giving a speech. Their colleagues nod sagely and every 7 seconds say "Hear, Hear!!!".