Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ASF spelling and grammar lessons

What does the above relate to, Wayne?

Presumably you're referring to the unnecessary space around the apostrophe

I think Wayne is referring to the type of apostrophe being used - ' compared to ` - eg it's compared to it`s.

Wayne has obviously been living amongst the Poms for way too long :p::D

I notice many more unnecessary and inappropriate apostrophes inserted than those omitted. e.g. banana's for sale

I must admit I do this regularly especially with peoples names, although I wouldn't do it in the example you provided above.

What does the above relate to, Wayne?

What I use as the apostrophe is two keys the right of the L key.

Wysiwyg's symbol is to the left of the 1 key and is... I don't know what it is actually. :confused:

NB My keyboard is a UK one and slightly different to an Oz keyboard. The keys might be in different places.

SNAP!

That's about to change very soon. ;)

Apostrophes don't mean **** to me. I'm not submitting this blog post to an editor, politburo member or self-entitled wanker. This is a blog not a business or an Australian guvmint office for that matter. Don't worry Julia. Fey dont now how to spel 2 :D If your reserves in the deductive logic stakes are rapidly diminishing, IGNORE ME!

Otherwise, harden up!!

What I use as the apostrophe is two keys the right of the L key.

Wysiwyg's symbol is to the left of the 1 key and is... I don't know what it is actually. :confused:

NB My keyboard is a UK one and slightly different to an Oz keyboard. The keys might be in different places.
Yes you caught me out using the single quotation mark instead of the apostrophe. :cool: It is a habit of mine too.

Apostrophes don't mean **** to me. I'm not submitting this blog post to an editor, politburo member or self-entitled wanker. This is a blog not a business or an Australian guvmint office for that matter. Don't worry Julia. Fey dont now how to spel 2 :D If your reserves in the deductive logic stakes are rapidly dimishing, IGNORE ME!

Otherwise, harden up!!
Ironically, a post with good punctuation and correct use of apostrophes. ;)

Also it is correct to emphasize with an underlining rather than quotation marks. I'm getting there. (check the apostrophe ;))

Proofread, proofread, proofread! :)

I never click 'Submit Reply' until I have read through my post at least twice to ensure that it is free of spelling and grammatical errors.

Do you mean "Proof read, proof read, proof read" as in "I should proof read," or, as in "I have already proofread the post? "

The distinction must be clear when written as though it is spoken when presented as correct English and not necessarily correct Australian.

The distinction is; to be active or having been active and posters gain clarity by reading allowed their post before submitting.

to wit

....aussie moit

:D

Apostrophes don't mean **** to me. I'm not submitting this blog post to an editor, politburo member or self-entitled wanker. This is a blog not a business or an Australian guvmint office for that matter. Don't worry Julia. Fey dont now how to spel 2 :D If your reserves in the deductive logic stakes are rapidly diminishing, IGNORE ME!

Otherwise, harden up!!
Gumby, this is a thread about spelling, grammar and punctuation.
I'll therefore comment on the misuse of apostrophes if I feel so inclined.
It would be different if I were to comment on same in a thread which has nothing to do with the subject.
If you don't like it, and have no interest in the pursuit of reasonable use of the English language, then rather than my 'hardening up', maybe you could avoid the thread.

ASF isn't just a place to discuss the stockmarket and world events, its also a place of learning. As administrator I am unfortunately exposed on a daily basis to the regrettable spelling and grammar of some of ASF's posters. This thread is my attempt to improve people's literacy levels and consequently improve the level of posting on ASF. Take pride not just in what you say, but how you say it.

Numbercruncher, pay attention to this lesson in particular.

LESSON 1: Their, There and They're

Their is a possessive pronoun. It always describes a noun.

Note the spelling of their. It comes from the word they, so the 'e' comes before the 'i'.

There is an adverb meaning "that location." It is sometimes used with the verb to be as an idiom. It is spelled like here which means "this location."

They're is a contraction of they are. Note the spelling: The 'a' from are is replaced by an apostrophe.

Examples: Their dog has fleas. (possessive of they)

I put the collar right there. (that location)

There are five prime numbers less than ten.
(with to be)

They're 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7. (contraction of they are)

Practice here: http://www.better-english.com/easier/theyre.htm

Next lesson soon. :)

And Gumby, here's Joe's original post. If you're going to have a go at me, then maybe take Joe on for even daring to suggest some improvements in the first place.

Do you mean "Proof read, proof read, proof read" as in "I should proof read," or, as in "I have already proofread the post? "

I meant it in the present tense and thought that was made clear by the context.

I also thought that proofread was one word. Are you suggesting that it's two? :confused:

Try reading a dictionary now and then. Antidisestablishmentarianism - longest word in the english dictionary (as far as I am aware) - noun - opposition to the withdrawal of state support or recognition from an established church, esp. the Anglican Church in 19th-century England.

Proofread is one word .......... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Unfortunately we are bombarded with text messages (GR8 and :) and other abbreviated nonsense) that has leeched it's way into the everyday vernacular inclusive of the written word. Standards are slipping in this particular field IMO. Hahah ah haa a hh aha ! :D

Try reading a dictionary now and then. Antidisestablishmentarianism - longest word in the english dictionary (as far as I am aware) - noun - opposition to the withdrawal of state support or recognition from an established church, esp. the Anglican Church in 19th-century England.

I always thought the longest word in the english dictionary was a train station in Wales. :D

Julia, you do realise that quotation marks are predominantly used for quotations and if you wish to emphasize, it is correct with an underlining or italics.

:)
Yes, thank you so much, Wysiwyg, I do realise that. And that is why I used quotation marks. I was quoting a phrase from Gumby Learner's post, i.e. he suggested I 'harden up'.
All clear now?

Btw, another appropriate use of quotation marks is to distance oneself from a phrase: e.g.

"The disappointed body builder blamed the 'fat slobs' who judged the contest."

Here the writer is making it clear that the term 'fat slobs' was not his own choice of words, but rather that of the body builder.

So you could probably say that in putting quotes around "harden up", I was both quoting Gumby Learner and distancing myself from the expression itself.