Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Actively managed portfolio journey

Determined by current market value :

current_holding_value / total_pf_value
going to be tricky weighting by current market value , and the timing of rebalancing ( say every two or three months ) could be pivotal as well , you might have to adjust rebalancing dates after some experimentation , after all some of the ETFs do that automatically for you

good luck

PS careful with the resource sector , it is normally cyclical and this seems to be an unusual cycle

going to be tricky weighting by current market value , and the timing of rebalancing ( say every two or three months ) could be pivotal as well , you might have to adjust rebalancing dates after some experimentation , after all some of the ETFs do that automatically for you
I think I will do it consistently after the dividend qualification date each quarter. Will likely only rebalance every 4 - 5 months however once I hit my weighting targets I do believe they will remain within there target ranges.

Increase in Resource Sector Position:

1714521821584.png

Increase in holdings of resource sector, (additional cash invested to increase the weighting, as a part of my accumulation strategy).

Resource sector will hit a 15% portfolio weighting by the end of May.

Current Portfolio Returns

1714878643304.png

Current Portfolio Weightings

1714878693451.png

Potential Asset Allocation Change

Pondering the idea of getting exposure to the Japanese market. Will be watching the news, the price of the Yen and macro releases over the coming weeks while I consider this plan. Target is still to reach within +/- of 5% for the core components of my portfolio (Diversified Growth, Property Sector, Resource Sector).

I am pondering the purchase of MNRS BetaShares (Global Gold Miners ETF - Currency Hedged). See it as important to reduce my resource exposure from purely Australia related assets.

Writing this for reference for my self - and to look back on. Will be back at the next time there is a large move in my portfolio/change in weighting.

Cheers

is Japan exposure better than South Korea exposure ?

now granted, there is some chance Korea will unify in the next 20 years ( goodness knows how that would play out )

although less of an economic power-house , i think that is somewhere you can explore options

( i am looking at India , Indonesia and Vietnam but i am looking at a shorter time frame )

good luck

Update

Strong day on the ASX, a cheaper AUD makes Australian export more and more attractive... not ideal if you want to travel though.

Iron Ore price is surging good for the resource holding. May has started off better then expected.

Asset Weightings
1715063724774.png

Profit/Loss
1715063709453.png

a cheaper AUD makes Australian export more and more attractive... not ideal if you want to travel though.
the other gotchya is, if your business costs are in US dollars ( say a big chunk of your borrowing/debt )

but yes some Aussie exporters gain nicely on a weaker Aussie dollar

End of Week
Profit & Loss
1715323706092.png
Weighting
1715323748729.png

Still on track to reach my weighting target in the Resource Sector by the end of may. Thinking about picking up some funds that focus on gold mining. See gold continuing to rise. Still thinking about this play however. Return at 2.18% will be an interesting week next week as we see more economic data out of the USA. Especially the CPI data.

Update:

Returns

1715851921492.png

Weightings

1715851965201.png

Potential Purchase

Will be watching the market tomorrow, looking to add to the resource allocation to bring the weighting inline with the targets. Will still be shy of the target but will bring me substantially closer.

I have two possible plays.

MVR:

I am either looking to buy additional shares in MVR in the coming days, however my buy range is sat between $34 - $35, I think we will see a retrace in the coming days, additionally there appears to be a "death cross" occurring. I am by no means a TA expert but it is enough of a red flag for me to not buy at the current prices. I'm in no rush.

1715852433380.png

QRE

Alternatively I will look at purchasing QRE, I was initially concerned about the high allocation to BHP, however BHP's recent performance appears to have been priced in to the ETF.

It is also showing a MACD buy signal, so it may be an entry I enter tomorrow. I am however waiting to see if we see a retrace on todays gains.

1715852716438.png

Unrelated

On a side note, I have chosen to taper back my salary sacrifice in to my super account - I figure the opportunity cost of not having the money on hand is to great especially as I am actively investing (reduced from a salary sacrifice of 8% to 3%).

Additionally I will be watching Bloomberg tonight. Initial Jobless Claims will be another signal to see if the USA is truly tackling inflation.

Final note / prediction. Foreseeing a strengthening in the AUDUSD, this labor governments move with an energy subsidy is just hiding the problem, and moving numbers around, doesn't actually address the underlying issue (expensive energy!).

I don't see the RBA cutting interest rates in Australia until next year, and can definitely imagine there being a disparity in our rates in turn strengthening the AUD. (predicting Australia to be hawkish for longer in contrast to our peers). Not opening a FX position, just my thoughts.

As always writing this for my own record keeping, well done if you made it this far. If anyone has any thoughts on the positions I am considering to take please share! As always the above is based on my own research and is by no means financial advice (not that anyone would seek my financial advice!)

cheers

bossman

Buy order placed on QRE @ $7.65 with a stop loss at $7.00

Will be watching if MVR dives will cancel order and will try to get that filled. Whichever hits my price target first.

Buy order placed on QRE @ $7.65 with a stop loss at $7.00

Will be watching if MVR dives will cancel order and will try to get that filled. Whichever hits my price target first.
yes an interesting tilt towards QRE , in your decision-making process

please note this 'mining super-cycle has to wane eventually as consumers and ( manufacturing ) customers run out of easy credit

good luck

yes an interesting tilt towards QRE , in your decision-making process

please note this 'mining super-cycle has to wane eventually as consumers and ( manufacturing ) customers run out of easy credit

good luck
Order likely won't be filled, just going to sit patiently with the money on hand. Going to be a test of my patience to ensure I don't act on emotion/gamble and wait for the price to reach a level I am comfortable with.

Order likely won't be filled, just going to sit patiently with the money on hand. Going to be a test of my patience to ensure I don't act on emotion/gamble and wait for the price to reach a level I am comfortable with.
patience is a very useful skill to improve

i found making firm friends with a dedicated calculator very useful ( just run some calculations through it when inclined to do so )

Closing Out The Week

Expected retrace occurred in contrast to all time highs. Didn't get burnt as much as I thought I would. My property holding fell the most (-1.94%). Will be interested to see if we have a positive day on Wall Street tonight and what this means for the ASX going into Monday.

1715928443390.png
1715928459242.png

I have cash on hand that will account for an additional 5.5% when invested into one of the above categories. Will watch the resources market next week for an entry. If an opportunity doesn't arise that I am comfortable with I may look to use some of this cash on ASX:MWY, a speculative play I am considering.

However given the weekly standard deviation on both my target resource sector picks, I don't see it as out of this world that we see a retrace and a potential opportunity to enter on one of my two options.

MVR's weekly standard deviation of +/- 2.58%
QRE's weekly standard deviation of +/- 2.92%

Onwards and upwards.

As this is a diary, more so a journal of my finances... ill add some lesser relevant stuff as well.

From the ~5.5% I had left to allocate to additional holdings this has now been halved to ~2.75%, will wait till I reach the ~6-7% weighting threshold before opening a new position.

Some funds were divested to purchase flights to New Zealand for a holiday later this year. Still on track to hit my target weighting by the end of may (assuming a suitable opportunity arises to purchase MVR / QRE. Still waiting for a pull back).

Onwards and upwards

Looking to make my entries in to the resource sector today if prices fall far enough (as expected). ASX supposedly set to open 1.1% with falling commodity prices.

Will be watching the market closely throughout the day.

Looking to make my entries in to the resource sector today if prices fall far enough (as expected). ASX supposedly set to open 1.1% with falling commodity prices.

Will be watching the market closely throughout the day.
since you are looking at resource-focused ETFs maybe you will get your wish , but my selected stand alone ( resource) stocks are some way away from targets

good luck

EOW Update

No additional resource allocation picked up this week. Didn't hit my buy range today. With New Caledonia stabilizing I expect we will see a continuing fall across commodity prices as we come in to Monday. Hopefully this will present a buy opportunity.

I don't intend to sell any of my holdings in the short term so timing the market isn't extremely important however I do foresee a cheaper entry for the resource sector so will sit and watch next week. I am still bullish on Australian equities.

If a suitable opportunity/indicator presents itself next week I will up my holdings in the resource sector with either MVR or QRE as mentioned previously. This planned purchase will push the total resource holdings as a proportion of my portfolio to ~13% bringing it closer to my goal of being within +/- 5%.

Here's how we look:

Profit/Loss
1716532386784.png

Weightings
1716532404138.png

New Addition

Speculative investments are now at there 10% weighting following the addition of DUG technology. Average price of ~$2.70 when including the brokerage fee, stop loss just below the next support level of $2.30. I see some upside from the current price.

Will post the portfolio breakdown on Friday with the end of week standings. This also brings the diversified growth holdings to ~54% inline with the 5% +/- target and the resources holding to ~7.326%** (still intend to accumulate on this front in the coming weeks).

Onwards and upwards.

Last edited:
EOW Update:

YTD Returns

1717137363706.png
Current Weightings

1717137409817.png

I am conscious I could of timed my entry into DUG better.

Additionally will be looking to increase my holdings within the resource sector. Within the next three weeks this will be at ~13% weighting.
The pull back on BetMakers wasn't expected, however this is a genuine long term position for me. Definitely don't see it falling below $0.093 in the short term.

Overall I feel as if my portfolio has weathered ok given a softening market. The pullbacks in property hurt but were expected given the hotter then expected inflation data. I will be interested in the PCE data later tonight to give an indicator of what the fed will do next.

Until next week or my next acquisition have a good weekend.