Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The planning of a portfolio

Now , don't laugh but I really think that's not bad advice . Except for the fast car bit . ( But, I've done worse .) Fast bikes. After 40 years , riding every day ,in all weathers , I'm now off them , forever. Lucky to still be in one piece . But it was great fun . Just very risky , especially in third world countries . I would not dare try it now.

Don't like the income tax laws , here ? Get a green card and work for the real dollar , in the land of the free . I guarantee you will never complain about their insignificant income taxes . I could have stayed on there , but I came back for ......a soft , easy life. ( Strolling around a building site with a drawing under my arm , pretending to be busy ) . Aussies have no idea how tough those yanks really are. I never had to work so hard in my life . No unions . No smoko's . It's go , go , go , all day long , for just a couple of weeks annual vacation . And god help you if your firm doesn't pay your health insurance .

I heartily agree with what Qld Frog has to say . You are only young once . Glad I got the travel bug outta my system , long ago . Today it would be a nightmare .

I was being half serious.

In your 20s, invest in yourself. Be that education, travel, or running amok.

I wasted half my 20s on a crap 1st wife.

I was being half serious.

In your 20s, invest in yourself. Be that education, travel, or running amok.

I wasted half my 20s on a crap 1st wife.
I have really thought about this over the last week or so. I am also studying full time while working full time.

My plan I think is to take a three month career break once I finish my degree and backpack, travel, party, whatever...

At this stage I will be graduating my bachelors when I'm around 22 or 23 years old. So will still be young. Definitely don't want to look back on my twenties and reflect on working long hours and not doing anything. All though please be assured I have a social life, I go out as it is, etc. etc. etc.

In terms of my plan - I am thinking about maximizing my super for this year alone and then pulling back to just an additional 2% or 3% salary sacrifice unless I jump into another tax bracket and it becomes even more worth while to make the contribution. On this note I just need to think about the opportunity cost of the money, better spent on super or mucking around on speculative business ideas and fun? Don't have a family so it seems like the time to do it.

I think what has stuck out to me most is the potential of further super reform and taxation. I had just assumed the government wouldn't touch it, whether rightly or not, that clearly isn't the case and further reform is definitely not out of the scope of possibility.

So maybe piling the thousands of dollars in to it while I'm young is a bad idea, however at the same time building up about $60k in the account and letting it compound as a potential nest egg even if I lived overseas wouldn't be a terrible idea either (especially if home buyer schemes that involves super get pushed through parliament (not necessarily a fan of this policy from a "purpose of super" stand point but can definitely see it happening)).

Just kind of rambling to my self here - but I have decided I am definitely going to look at converting about 75% of my current liquid cash into a mix of two moderate growth ETF's and a commercial property ETF. I'll enter these positions in the next few weeks and will provide updates on my positions, movements, ideas, and I guess my life for my own little record.

wise words
look into side hassles
invest in business as a silent or not so silent partner
a 30% share in the right business ( small business )
can give excellent reliable returns while creating an
increasing equity.
Yes, they Can definitely turnout to be sure hassles 😂

if you decide to travel /backpack keep your eyes open , and thinking cap. on

in 2012 i went for an extended trip to Perth ( by bus/rail )

and noticed several things/trends that turned into profitable share investments

now your trip doesn't have to be Perth and negative impressions can save you for bad investments later

ere - but I have decided I am definitely going to look at converting about 75% of my current liquid cash into a mix of two moderate growth ETF's and a commercial property ETF. I'll enter these positions in the next few weeks and will provide updates on my positions, movements, ideas, and I guess my life for my own little record.
stay engaged ... direct shares can be a pleasant surprise.

franking credits . are GO

Growth should be a GO

comments that follow the article are worth perusing., too

Last edited:
So maybe piling the thousands of dollars in to it while I'm young is a bad idea, however at the same time building up about $60k in the account and letting it compound as a potential nest egg even if I lived overseas wouldn't be a terrible idea either
I guess you already know , to also take out private health insurance once you're on $ 93,000 p.a. ( At least , the cheapest Basic Hospital Cover ) to avoid the Medicare Levy Surcharge .

Superannuation . Frankly it's all about tax so how can it be passed over? It's a must have for you , as a future well- above- average , income earner. From 1 st July this year , that will be a cool $ 30,000 a year straight off your taxable income. There just ain't a better tax deduction ( ahem , apart from having a life - partner who is a " keeper " ) Like everything else in life , it's unfair , I know , but the tax system favours couples. Same with super . For each person : a T. S. B. ( Total Superannuation Balance ) of $ 1.9 Mill. for a tax free retirement income stream and a $ 3 Mill. cap at the 15 % tax rate .

Wealth accumulation outside of super ? Say yes to that , too . But have some fun , first !

I have really thought about this over the last week or so. I am also studying full time while working full time.

My plan I think is to take a three month career break once I finish my degree and backpack, travel, party, whatever...

At this stage I will be graduating my bachelors when I'm around 22 or 23 years old. So will still be young. Definitely don't want to look back on my twenties and reflect on working long hours and not doing anything. All though please be assured I have a social life, I go out as it is, etc. etc. etc.

In terms of my plan - I am thinking about maximizing my super for this year alone and then pulling back to just an additional 2% or 3% salary sacrifice unless I jump into another tax bracket and it becomes even more worth while to make the contribution. On this note I just need to think about the opportunity cost of the money, better spent on super or mucking around on speculative business ideas and fun? Don't have a family so it seems like the time to do it.

I think what has stuck out to me most is the potential of further super reform and taxation. I had just assumed the government wouldn't touch it, whether rightly or not, that clearly isn't the case and further reform is definitely not out of the scope of possibility.

So maybe piling the thousands of dollars in to it while I'm young is a bad idea, however at the same time building up about $60k in the account and letting it compound as a potential nest egg even if I lived overseas wouldn't be a terrible idea either (especially if home buyer schemes that involves super get pushed through parliament (not necessarily a fan of this policy from a "purpose of super" stand point but can definitely see it happening)).

Just kind of rambling to my self here - but I have decided I am definitely going to look at converting about 75% of my current liquid cash into a mix of two moderate growth ETF's and a commercial property ETF. I'll enter these positions in the next few weeks and will provide updates on my positions, movements, ideas, and I guess my life for my own little record.
Good stuff, enjoy your youth as there is plenty of time of mull on lots of other things later on. ENJOY.!!!!!