Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

WDS - Woodside Energy Group

Crude Oil down another 3+% atm.

Might be a while till this gains in value....... Christmas rally?
well during the change from WPL to WDS they kicked me out of the DRP , and i am in no rush to throw extra cash into WDS

will be glancing from time to time ( i would rather be buying smaller smallish iron producers ) but currently don't even have a 'low-ball' order in the market

but commodity-wise the oil-price is a con-game that will lead to production destruction in the Western world

quite a few producers NEED $US65 to $US70 to just break even ( let alone be able to fund need exploration/development ) , and the ESG folk are trying deflect investment away from fossil fuels .

could these jokers send oil prices negative , again ( for a short period ??)

Opec could be trying to squeeze competitors out of the industry, just flood the market with as much oil as possible or their fed up with some countries cheating on their production quotas, we will fix that.

Am still holding WDS at the moment, am not worrying about losing money.

The rise in August was a false dawn. The oil price continues to be battered and WDS with it.

I don't hold much hope of the WDS price recovering before the end of the yearly tipping comp.

I'll keep my WDS holding though. Oil will come back eventually.
@debtfree

1727444232386.png

The rise in August was a false dawn. The oil price continues to be battered and WDS with it.

I don't hold much hope of the WDS price recovering before the end of the yearly tipping comp.

I'll keep my WDS holding though. Oil will come back eventually.
@debtfree

View attachment 184963
From my experience shares like WDS recover over time, you just need to be patient, the company and oil prices are just going through a rough patch and I don’t care whether some of my shares are down sometimes. It’s an investment not day trading. I’m currently down 6% with WDS but I can wait and look past the pessimism for the time being.

The dividend might be cut but I’m looking for capital growth more.

I don't have spare cash to invest but I agree Woodside definitely looks undervalued. Its in the lower half of the cost curve of production and its profitable and trading below book value. If I had money I would buy and wait for oil prices to recover.
i have held them as WPL ( and got some more courtesy of BHP ) but as WPL they had a habit of disappointing me , so haven't thrown any new cash at it since the tinker change , in fact i sold half the holding @ $34.25 ( in April 2023)

i want to see how they bed in the former BHP assets , before i decide IF to deploy more cash here

HOWEVER sub $20 probably would tempt me to nibble

It did go Ex div on the 5th so .......
Woodside pays its interim dividend this Thursday, $1.02 down from $1.24 a year ago. Woodside cut its final dividend by more than half. It was about $2 last year and this year the final was on only 91 cents. That probably explains why Woodside lost about 30% of its value.

Woodside pays its interim dividend this Thursday, $1.02 down from $1.24 a year ago. Woodside cut its final dividend by more than half. It was about $2 last year and this year the final was on only 91 cents. That probably explains why Woodside lost about 30% of its value.
it certainly helped dampen my enthusiasm to buy extras ( and support the share price )

Oil up at the moment more than 3%. Reports suggest Iran preparing to launch a ballistic missile against Israel. If things continue to escalate in this region, oil could be heading to $100 a barrel. Watch this space.

Gold spiking as well, up nearly 1%

Oil up at the moment more than 3%. Reports suggest Iran preparing to launch a ballistic missile against Israel. If things continue to escalate in this region, oil could be heading to $100 a barrel. Watch this space.

Gold spiking as well, up nearly 1%
Will keep some WDS but might be able to offload these STO i purchased in a moment of cerebral weakness😊

Michael Gable thinks there'll be short covering in Woodside:

"I recently wrote about how share markets could see some large rotations occur once the US Federal Reserve started cutting interest rates.
Two weeks ago I made a quick video explaining that it was a matter of when not if commodities start a huge rally.
So what is the next sector that is due to take off? Are we about to see a massive short squeeze in oil stocks?"

Held
Holding

Oil apparently rose overnight 5%. Biden told reporters that he has been discussing with Israel about bombing Irans's oil infrastructure, that will cause oil to spike even higher. If Iran responds by blocking the Strait of Hormuz then hello $100 oil.

Oil apparently rose overnight 5%. Biden told reporters that he has been discussing with Israel about bombing Irans's oil infrastructure, that will cause oil to spike even higher. If Iran responds by blocking the Strait of Hormuz then hello $100 oil.

IMO, Israel are likely to target uranium enrichment / nuclear sites or oil production / ports as a response. Maybe on 7 Oct, although that might be too obvious.

O
One analyst on CNBC is predicting oil will go $200 if Iranian oil production is knocked out of commission, very bad new for motorists but great news for energy stocks like WDS. I would think $200 oil will give central bankers a migraine trying to keep inflation down, a deep recession maybe.

O

One analyst on CNBC is predicting oil will go $200 if Iranian oil production is knocked out of commission, very bad new for motorists but great news for energy stocks like WDS. I would think $200 oil will give central bankers a migraine trying to keep inflation down, a deep recession maybe.
Perhaps long enough ago many may not be aware but that would be similar to what happened in the 1970's.

The 1973-74 oil embargo then the 1979 Iranian revolution sent the oil price through the roof. It didn't come back down to any real extent until the mid-1980's.

Of particular relevance to Woodside, it was those events that gave rise to the LNG industry. Prior to that, when oil was cheap, nobody was overly interested in expensive ideas such as gas liquefaction and shipping beyond a very limited scale for niche uses. But once the oil price shot up, Japanese industry suddenly desperate for anything that could be used as fuel and closer to home, there was also a need for an alternative fuel to power industry in WA since both relied heavily on fuel oil at the time which had suddenly become not just expensive but somewhat problematic to even get hold of in sufficient quantity. That gave the big push to the NW Shelf project. :2twocents

Perhaps long enough ago many may not be aware but that would be similar to what happened in the 1970's.

The 1973-74 oil embargo then the 1979 Iranian revolution sent the oil price through the roof. It didn't come back down to any real extent until the mid-1980's.

Of particular relevance to Woodside, it was those events that gave rise to the LNG industry. Prior to that, when oil was cheap, nobody was overly interested in expensive ideas such as gas liquefaction and shipping beyond a very limited scale for niche uses. But once the oil price shot up, Japanese industry suddenly desperate for anything that could be used as fuel and closer to home, there was also a need for an alternative fuel to power industry in WA since both relied heavily on fuel oil at the time which had suddenly become not just expensive but somewhat problematic to even get hold of in sufficient quantity. That gave the big push to the NW Shelf project. :2twocents
Being a cynic, I would suggest that the Israelis are using the threat of using the Iranian oil fields as target practice as a bargaining chip to a squeeze more out of the US is terms of money, weapons, guaranteed support in the UN etc etc.
But the question is, would the US benefit or suffer from $200 oil?
being largely self sufficient it may not be such a bad thing from a price perspective.
It would cause some of its less than friendly competitors some anguish (ie. China) with the high cost of energy.
But then on the other hand, it would cause some of its allies to suffer greatlly (Europe, OZ etc).
It might also hasten the move away from fossil fuels.
Lots of balancing to be done.
Mick

Being a cynic, I would suggest that the Israelis are using the threat of using the Iranian oil fields as target practice as a bargaining chip to a squeeze more out of the US is terms of money, weapons, guaranteed support in the UN etc etc.
But the question is, would the US benefit or suffer from $200 oil?
being largely self sufficient it may not be such a bad thing from a price perspective.
It would cause some of its less than friendly competitors some anguish (ie. China) with the high cost of energy.
But then on the other hand, it would cause some of its allies to suffer greatlly (Europe, OZ etc).
It might also hasten the move away from fossil fuels.
Lots of balancing to be done.
Mick
And would help Russia and the BRICS overall so you can discount this scenario IMHO