Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Tomorrow's trading on the ASX?

all eyes on CSL?

reporting today..
Breville (BRG) |
Challenger (CGF) |
Charter Hall Social Infrastructure (CQE)
CSL (CSL) |
HealthCo Wellness REIT (HCW) |
James Hardie quarterly (JHX) |
Seven West Media (SWM) |
Temple & Webster (TPW).

i note that the market is unimpressed with the MQG presentation ( just like i was )

dropped down to $180.01 this morning at one stage

Companies expected to report results:
AMP (AMP)
Ansell (ANN)
Commonwealth Bank (CBA)
Computershare (CPU)
Dexus (DXS)
Domain (DHG)
Downer EDI (DOW)
Evolution Mining (EVN)
Fletcher Building (FBU)
GUD Holdings (GUD)
IDP Education (IDP)
Seven Group Holdings (SGH)

Last edited:
bit bleak today...

Locally, shares are set to tumble at the open, in line with a sell-off overseas after a hotter-than-expected US CPI result dashed hopes of an early rate cut by the Federal Reserve.

ASX futures was down 124 points, or 1.6 per cent, to 7428.

The Dow closed down was more than 500 points, the S&P 500 dropped 69 points to trade below 4972.3, while the VIX at one point surged more than 18 per cent. The yield on the US 10-year note spiked above 4.3 per cent, more than 40 basis points higher than a week ago.

The Australian dollar dropped as the greenback rallied on hopes that US interest rates will remain higher for longer. Gold slid below $US2000 an ounce; oil briefly topped $US83 a barrel

bit bleak today...

Locally, shares are set to tumble at the open, in line with a sell-off overseas after a hotter-than-expected US CPI result dashed hopes of an early rate cut by the Federal Reserve.

ASX futures was down 124 points, or 1.6 per cent, to 7428.

The Dow closed down was more than 500 points, the S&P 500 dropped 69 points to trade below 4972.3, while the VIX at one point surged more than 18 per cent. The yield on the US 10-year note spiked above 4.3 per cent, more than 40 basis points higher than a week ago.

The Australian dollar dropped as the greenback rallied on hopes that US interest rates will remain higher for longer. Gold slid below $US2000 an ounce; oil briefly topped $US83 a barrel

I think I might go for a drive in the countryside today. Maybe a wine tasting in the Valley.

The bulls will run again.

gg
yeah, if CBA was priced to perfection, the money will look for anything to run away.

Voting/ Weighing

As in the blurb
Each of the other Big 4 banks (ANZ, NAB and WBC), gapped lower after CBA's result, but each recovered steadily during the trading session. The mini-correction has dented, but not reversed the very strong short term uptrends prevalent on each of the Big 4 banks' charts.
Still, gaps lower require close monitoring to ensure they don't develop into price action indicating a more sinister changing of the demand-supply environment.
or not.

I think I might go for a drive in the countryside today. Maybe a wine tasting in the Valley.
Hate to be an obvious long-neck, but I thought I'd get early, before tomorrows grand opening. Like Dona said some good some bad.
I think a correction is taking place, ASX may open higher but will close lower. Been siting on a high for to long and gravity must take over.

Australian shares are set to open lower, after Wall Street was spooked by CPI print.
ASX futures were down 1.2% or 90 points as of 8:30am on Wednesday, suggesting a lower open.
A higher-than-expected CPI reading had investors pushing out rate cut expectations and sending stocks sharply lower.
The DJIA dropped 524 points, or 1.4%, to 38272, the S&P 500 lost 1.4% to 4953 and the Nasdaq slid 1.8% to 15655.

Companies set to report on Thursday:
Arena REIT (ARF)
Beacon Lighting (BLX)
Goodman Group (GMG)
Magellan (MFG)
Origin Energy (ORG)
Pact Group (PGH)
South32 (S32)
Telstra (TLS)
Treasury Wines (TWE)
Vicinity Centres (VCX)
Wesfarmers (WES)
Whitehaven (WHC)

I Noticed in the Wrap above some of the tables hadn't been updated, it seems as US Indices looked to be yesterday's results. Just went into the Wrap now and the tables are missing so I'm guessing they are updating them. I would give them a few minutes to fix it if that's what they are doing.

EDIT: Yes they have stated there was an error in overnight data tables. They will be back tomorrow.

Once again similar update to @debtfree . I still think it may close lower?

The ASX200 is expected to open higher on Thursday, with ASX200 futures up +52 points or +0.694% at 7,546. The index retreated -0.73% on Wednesday with financials, real estate, and information technology leading the decline, with the sectors falling -1.21%, -1.04%, and -1.31% respectively, while the Australian dollar strengthened +0.60%.

In what was a busy day for earnings on Wednesday, CBA fell 1.7% to $114 after announcing its cash profits fell 3 % in the first half of the financial year, while Seven Group rallied 7% to $38.91 following a guidance upgrade on its earnings.

In local economic data, investors will be focusing on the latest labour market data, with the report expected to show that the unemployment rate rose to 4.0% from the previous month's reading of 3.9%, while 25k jobs were added over the month. Traders will also be keeping a close eye on consumer inflation expectations, hoping for an improvement on the previous month's reading of 4.5%.

Oil prices were lower on the back of US WTI crude inventories coming in above expectations of 3.350M at 12.018M, with WTI crude and Brent down -1.61% and -1.47% to US$76.62 and US$82.55 a barrel. Iron ore futures in Singapore rose +0.44% on Wednesday to US$129.09 and are up a further +0.28% this morning, while copper fell -0.27%. Gold was -0.13% lower at US$19,990 an oz with silver +0.99% higher, while Bitcoin rose +4.21% higher to finish at 51,651.43.

Market Index - Thursday Evening Wrap

Do We/ You have Copyright Licence to Copy/ Paste other people's work to the Decimal point

EG: : Can we buy a newspaper and then Print it on ASF / and alike in Total without Losing your House?
This will open up a Can of Worms one day IMHO if it has't already?