Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Tomorrow's trading on the ASX?

Market Index Morning Wrap - The start of another week.

too far too soon? been a good run to date...

"The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed higher Friday after a whipsaw session, where it marked a fresh intraday record, and the tech-heavy Nasdaq-100 set a record close.
....S&P 500 logged its seventh straight week of gains, market analysts are increasingly worried about overbought conditions...

Market analysts are increasingly worri ......
Major broker MQG upgraded the ....
AFR market analysts suggest a fall in th .....
AMP chief economist Harley Macfartface said yesterday that the all ordinaries is set for .....

It is interesting running back over this thread, and similar threads, how so many market commentators make so many prognostications, VALID ONLY FOR 4-6 HOURS at most. Go to the website later on that morning and it is all turnabout.

This came to mind this morning, when at about half past midnight, 12:30 am, I noticed that the AFR was tipping a fall in the market today of 1% which I posted in this or a similar thread.

By 8am this morning they had reversed their opinion. This is ok, as I realise fundamentals particular in commodities and bonds change quite quickly. My concern is that large funds seem to follow the advice given, even if it changes for no good reason, if the volumes within the first 30 minutes of trading are anything to go by.

And they do seem to follow the most recent "advice" , at least on the opening bell.

Just something I noticed.

I don't use funds nor follow the advice of advisers.

Don't do your own research.

gg

Market analysts are increasingly worri ......
Major broker MQG upgraded the ....
AFR market analysts suggest a fall in th .....
AMP chief economist Harley Macfartface said yesterday that the all ordinaries is set for .....

It is interesting running back over this thread, and similar threads, how so many market commentators make so many prognostications, VALID ONLY FOR 4-6 HOURS at most. Go to the website later on that morning and it is all turnabout.

This came to mind this morning, when at about half past midnight, 12:30 am, I noticed that the AFR was tipping a fall in the market today of 1% which I posted in this or a similar thread.

By 8am this morning they had reversed their opinion. This is ok, as I realise fundamentals particular in commodities and bonds change quite quickly. My concern is that large funds seem to follow the advice given, even if it changes for no good reason, if the volumes within the first 30 minutes of trading are anything to go by.

And they do seem to follow the most recent "advice" , at least on the opening bell.

Just something I noticed.

I don't use funds nor follow the advice of advisers.

Don't do your own research.

gg
well ETFs use 'market makers ' which i assume use algos and automated trading linked to the various newsfeeds , early trading would be very key-word driven especially the large caps.

do normal fund managers do the same with shares shorted or with the option strategies where milli-seconds can count

, especially on the large caps

Today's market has gone in the wrong direction for me...sold some stocks yesterday and this morning, now they're back to where I got off.. this is tough.

Our dollar is up, maybe this is what's holding us up

grabbed some MTO , and so far missed adding extra NIC and still watching/considering extra SHV

not as exciting as hoped but not bored stiff either

good luck everybody

December was not particularly considerate 2022 after a late upturn in the closing months.
I do believe we will enjoy a few more fruitful although low volume days this year.
Futures US looking good.

Divs is there anything you don’t own?

December was not particularly considerate 2022 after a late upturn in the closing months.
I do believe we will enjoy a few more fruitful although low volume days this year.
Futures US looking good.

Divs is there anything you don’t own?
don't own ??

most of the market darlings , most junior explorers , usually sidestep bio-tech

i normally try for companies making genuine revenue ( not R&D funding ) have been savagely punished when i break this rule

i try to look in dusty corners for solid businesses ( small or neglected )

by the way i still miss some gems in those corners

the December rally was abruptly curtailed as January began... but futures are up again... some 20 points today
Screenshot_20240105-082415_CommSec.jpg
there was even a report a few days ago that "traders are coming back early from holidays to take advantage of buoyant conditions " i.e. sell

• Spot gold +0.1% to $US2042.64/oz
  • Brent crude -0.7% to $US77.72 a barrel
  • Iron ore -1.2% to $US140.95 a tonne

Market Index - Evening Wrap from Yesterday

*** Elsewhere, lithium stocks were almost unanimously dumped following a report AI is potentially about to solve the battery efficiency case. It seems a souped-up Commodore 64 thinks it can reduce lithium usage by up to 70%. ***

please explain ??

sure there are fledgling rival techs that may grab some battery market share , and there is research into 'super-capacitors ' that may smooth out short-term high drain issues from a battery cycle , but AI ( which relies on electricity as an energy source ) ??

i guess time will tell but smells more like an attempt to rig commodity prices

( please note i am still looking to buy extra cheap IGO )