Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

When in Qld I shod horses for the biggest Riding For Disabled establishment in Australia, now closed, NDIS made it unviable.

I also hear many aged care facilities are losing money.
That's exactly why Labor have to get in, if not these scams run amok, the media wont allow the Coalition to clamp down on it, which is probably ok because they would hammer it into the ground.
Which wouldn't be good either

When in Qld I shod horses for the biggest Riding For Disabled establishment in Australia, now closed, NDIS made it unviable.

I also hear many aged care facilities are losing money.
@wayneL NDIS is to my way of thinking just a corporate scam depriving those in need of what the scheme is supposed to deliver.
I have listened to Minister Shorten waffle on about what he intends to do, but waffle is all that he seems to be good at.
If he had the balls and guts, a big broom and even bigger stick should be brought into action to get this mess cleaned up once and for all.

@wayneL NDIS is to my way of thinking just a corporate scam depriving those in need of what the scheme is supposed to deliver.
I have listened to Minister Shorten waffle on about what he intends to do, but waffle is all that he seems to be good at.
If he had the balls and guts, a big broom and even bigger stick should be brought into action to get this mess cleaned up once and for all.
Privatising all these things that are public service is plain silly and cost cutting.
I've watched the footpath mowing mockery go on in Brisbane over the last 40 years.

When the local council did it years ago, it was done meticulously every second week. Now the contractors just cut the top off the grass when they feel like it and they also reseeded the footpath with fast growing lawn, so it grows to knee height in no time.

The contracting company they use in my neighbourhood, engage correctional centre rehabilitation criminals and or court ordered community service, one of the guys backed into our colour bond fence and then said he didn't do it.

A friend of mine worked for Telstra, about 15 years ago he got a payout to leave, and with the money purchased a Cartridge World with his brother. The location is excellent, and business was good.

Not so good lately. They are covering costs but not pulling much of a wage. Prices of everything keep going up, including electricity and government red tape. They can't pass on all the costs, because of online competition from OS. And if they wanted to sell, they'd get virtually nothing because banks aren't lending a lot for business.

He has taken a part time job at the airport, working 16 hours per week to supplement his income. The pay is good, and if he wanted he could work another 16 hours in overtime.

I wonder how many more small business owners are doing this.

The economy is being hammered by poor productivity across every industry and every state.

Our taxes are too high, because it is wasted on thought bubbles. Business is forced to comply with ever greater government regulations, and now the unions are getting involved. Family businesses face ‘union delegate’ threat under new IR legislation

How much more can the economy take?

A friend of mine worked for Telstra, about 15 years ago he got a payout to leave, and with the money purchased a Cartridge World with his brother. The location is excellent, and business was good.

Not so good lately. They are covering costs but not pulling much of a wage. Prices of everything keep going up, including electricity and government red tape. They can't pass on all the costs, because of online competition from OS. And if they wanted to sell, they'd get virtually nothing because banks aren't lending a lot for business.

He has taken a part time job at the airport, working 16 hours per week to supplement his income. The pay is good, and if he wanted he could work another 16 hours in overtime.

I wonder how many more small business owners are doing this.

The economy is being hammered by poor productivity across every industry and every state.

Our taxes are too high, because it is wasted on thought bubbles. Business is forced to comply with ever greater government regulations, and now the unions are getting involved. Family businesses face ‘union delegate’ threat under new IR legislation

How much more can the economy take?
@JohnDe I would like to say that all is great, but the tinny has a nasty rust hole in it and is slowly sinking.

I just received an email form one of my national suppliers, they are updating part of their vehicle fleet. Normally they trade the vehicles in, but to try and boost their bottom line they have offered all the vehicles for sale to all their clients.

Getting tough in the real world.

If you live in an area that will never flood get an insurance policy with no flood cover , I did that this year and saved $1200 right there . Biggest scam ever insurance companies specifying flood cover as a standard inclusion for those living on a hill that has zero chance of flooding unless its end of times .. standard insurance covers water damage from storm water and storm damage
I would like to express my extreme gratitude to @Chipp for putting me onto the flood cover scam.
I phoned AAMI and asked what my premium would be if I opted to not have flood cover.
The premium went from $5,040 to $1200.
Because the Goulburn Valley regioin had floods last year, the insurers assume every property is subject to inundation.
Although we do live in the goulburn valley, during these flood events our town had no instances of flooding, and thanks to new council regulations, our floor level had to be 800MM above the 100 year flood level.
For my home to flood, it would probably require a flood of biblical proportions to even get the street wet.
So I have saved about $3800 bucks on my policy.
its a good day.
Mick

I would like to express my extreme gratitude to @Chipp for putting me onto the flood cover scam.
I phoned AAMI and asked what my premium would be if I opted to not have flood cover.
The premium went from $5,040 to $1200.
Because the Goulburn Valley regioin had floods last year, the insurers assume every property is subject to inundation.
Although we do live in the goulburn valley, during these flood events our town had no instances of flooding, and thanks to new council regulations, our floor level had to be 800MM above the 100 year flood level.
For my home to flood, it would probably require a flood of biblical proportions to even get the street wet.
So I have saved about $3800 bucks on my policy.
its a good day.
Mick
I will be asking the same question of our insurer next when the renewal coms up.
Up high on the Scarp not too far from the highest point on the Darling escarpment, and about 1000 feet above sea level.

Before word of this great flood insurance scam spreads any further than this forum , QUB and SUN shareholders had better start bailing out real soon !
the upside is that floodplain building development may get priced out of the market, and the land left for agriculture - often the best fertility is there, any way.

@Dona Ferentes Now do you reckon that the developers and boffins in the various councils will ever see the light on that.
Not a chance, here the Sunshine Coast council is actively destroying our most fertile flat lands by destroying salt water barriers to restore brackish water mosquito swamps.
They probably want to restore that endangered Australian malaria strains..and blame CC for it as a next obvious step.
While filling floodplains with new housing developments...

@Dona Ferentes Now do you reckon that the developers and boffins in the various councils will ever see the light on that.
unlikely , most went and got a college/university degree instead of getting their hands dirty and collar sweaty

after all many now think food magically appears in the supermarket overnight , even the logistics of transport baffles them

Before word of this great flood insurance scam spreads any further than this forum , QUB and SUN shareholders had better start bailing out real soon !
False alarm .
QBE : up 2 % to $17.21 .
Sun : on a roll too , not far off it's 52 week high . S.P at $ 17.34 today .

Maybe our forum ain't got much pull on the ASX , after all !!
( Who would have thought ? )

False alarm .
QBE : up 2 % to $17.21 .
Sun : on a roll too , not far off it's 52 week high . S.P at $ 17.34 today .

Maybe our forum ain't got much pull on the ASX , after all !!
( Who would have thought ? )
sometimes BIG moves start slowly , after all most forum members are likely to be customers AND shareholders ( although probably via LICs and ETFs )

only weirdos like me loaded up in them in preference to the BIG 4 banks , in the last 12 years ( a very interesting sector for short/medium term investing .. abundant entry opportunities )

Slightly off track but, after calling aami to enquire
when you are not in a postcode linked to flooding, you get flood cover, but no option to remove it: " you are not in a flood zone area, no premium difference" i was told.
So definitely enquire if your suburb made headlines, otherwise you will probably get the same answer as i did