Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

Unemployment number increased..by the number of new immigrants..surprised?
And by a gov. Supposedly for the workers.lol

Good for the inflation fight.
Well that's the theory , anyway.
That, and getting the punters to stop spending . Not sure how that's supposed to work , because if 25 million Aussies lived like me , Jeebus we just would not have an economy !
Gees Dyna and I thought She and Me were the Scrooges

Just with a client.... She involved in aged care, husband a building company exec.

He has just exited the Australian market altogether and has started a company in PNG. Says Oz is in dire straights.

Then there is aged care, it seems to be irretrievably on the slippery slope down the chit chute.

The overarching problem in both fields they say is ridiculous, over the top compliance costs.

In the building sector in particular he says there is an exodus of experience and talent into other fields and into other countries which he says will take a hell of a long time to recover from.

Perfect storm?

Just with a client.... She involved in aged care, husband a building company exec.

He has just exited the Australian market altogether and has started a company in PNG. Says Oz is in dire straights.

Then there is aged care, it seems to be irretrievably on the slippery slope down the chit chute.

The overarching problem in both fields they say is ridiculous, over the top compliance costs.

In the building sector in particular he says there is an exodus of experience and talent into other fields and into other countries which he says will take a hell of a long time to recover from.

Perfect storm?
As I see it Wayne there is a raft of bum polishers who have to justify their existnce and fat cat salary, hence reams of compliance to comply with.
The builder (master builder)hs decided to retire early, for much of the same reasons, though I can't see him sitting at home twiddling his thumbs. Said I'd give him a few months and he would then be looking for more to do.

Perfect storm?

yes was hearing similar from my 'on the street' sources , sadly KSL is my only investment in PNG so far , have more exposure to Indonesia , currently , it bodes ill for Australia long term apart from mining and energy

This story about concerns of the auditing practices of the Big 4 Consultancies raises a red flag.

How good/searching/honest are the auditing practices ? Is the economy and investors at risk from dud companies using rubbish auditors/ Think Enron.

Adele Ferguson has a track record of excellent investigative journalism. Doesn't jump at shadows.