Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

Its a bit like some people don't read the original thread message that started all this.
The investor kid used the word gross profit when he said it was 3%, not profit after interest, depreciation, and taxes.
I pointed out that the gross profit margins are closer to 29 to 30%.
The comparison between farmgate price, which is the price the farmer gets before any of his inputs are taken out, and the 3% margin that the supermarkets is a fake comparison.
If we want to compare the 3% net the supermarkets get to something equivalent to the farmer, you have to take into account all his expenses, including tax to get a valid comparison.
Plus the farmer does not have a whole bunch of other business(liquor sales, petrol sales, credit cards , phones, loyalty points systems, clothing sales, etc) that the two majors have to spread their costs over.
Mick
Mick thankyou hit it right on the head.
Just give the supermarket industry a few more years and there will be no local produce ex frmer produced.
China has been buying up big over the past few years with dairy heifers and Sufflock sheep.
When their breeding herds and flocks are sufficiently large enough watch these products flood our markets.
I was invloved in the transpirting these types of animals for about 10 years to the various holding yards so they could be then shipped to China and its surrounding counryside.

No I haven't, but what difference does it make?

We started down this rabbit hole because you said the supermarkets are pricing meat excessive based on the evidence of the price you receive at the farm gate.

My point is that it's not excessive and that this common misperception makes no sense when accounting for the other costs a supermarket pays aside from the price of the meat itself.

So help me understand, what are you basing the excessive on, as someone involved the red meat industry as a producer? Woolworths gross margin like @mullokintyre ?
Since you are not a primary producer and obviously have little or no idea what costs we do incur , so on this note I'll agree to disagree.

My concern as a consumer is if the local butcher went out of business.

Then I'd be forced to buy the awful, so-called cheaper meat from supermarkets.

The horror of even thinking about that.
The local suburban burcher is slowly becoming a past memory. The supermaket giants are making sure of that.
In an earlier posts I stated that used to supply a local butcher and he was also a close friend. Even with me trying to help, he went under.

Not when you can sometimes get it for as low as , 1/10 th the price. ( sic ) You have to write down the use-by dates and then rock up every weekday an hour or so before closing time . ( It's profitable walking time for this cheapskate ! ) Like my favourite fishing spots , this info, I like to keep to myself.
I would have to be the only tightass in this posh neighbourhood and none of these nobs would even know, how to live below their means.
Nah not tight but smart.
Though we don't have to buy meat in, She who is never wrong, sometims just can't help herself. If there is a bargain to be had, usually pork.

Since you are not a primary producer and obviously have little or no idea what costs we do incur , so on this note I'll agree to disagree.

I don't mind if you disagree, just let us know what you're basing the idea that woolworths meat price is excessive on.

You're not a supply chain manager at Woolworths or Coles, I note.

It's amazing how when things get tough, somehow people find a job.

The number of people without work in NSW has fallen to the lowest level in more than four decades as the state economy adds jobs despite high inflation and rising interest rates.

Only 135,000 people in NSW were unemployed in May, Bureau of Statistics figures show, the smallest number since January 1982 when the state’s population was about one-third less than it is now.

The number of people without work in NSW has fallen to the lowest level in more than four decades as the state economy adds jobs despite high inflation and rising interest rates.

Only 135,000 people in NSW were unemployed in May, Bureau of Statistics figures show, the smallest number since January 1982 when the state’s population was about one-third less than it is now.
Certainly a good news story. Hopefully it will be the same for the other States and Territories also.

Why are there so many jobs?
Is it because you need 2-3 millennial/gen z to replace a boomer or something

Why are there so many jobs?
Is it because you need 2-3 millennial/gen z to replace a boomer or something
My guess is all those businesses that were struggling to find workers, all of a sudden were inundated by mortgage holders/ partners of small business holders, who are looking for work.
It would be interesting to see how many are women entering, or re entering the workforce.

My guess is all those businesses that were struggling to find workers, all of a sudden were inundated by mortgage holders/ partners of small business holders, who are looking for work.
It would be interesting to see how many are women entering, or re entering the workforce.
No matter what the reason may be, it has to be a plus at the end of the day.

Oh, those poor Airbnb owners...
Yep, financial literacy is a bitch.

since the start of the year she had noticed a significant downturn in her Airbnb bookings.
"I lost my income from my unit. It was paying my mortgage and my rates and my body corporate. Now it's not covering anything," she said.
Family on the sth coast, the 3-4 hour drive from Sydney area, say the same.

Those with money going OS, and the rest aren't showing up.

Maybe a more rational market will evolve.

Oh, those poor Airbnb owners...

Hobart City Council has decided to make it tougher for Airbnb as well by doubling the rates.

Hobart City Council has decided to make it tougher for Airbnb as well by doubling the rates.

Blood suckers..under the guise of helping the battlers..as if people having an Airbnb could or would just go to being landlords with pets, tenants doing their improvements then deciding not to pay..and with controlled ,government dictated , rent on the cards...

The local suburban burcher is slowly becoming a past memory. The supermaket giants are making sure of that.
In an earlier posts I stated that used to supply a local butcher and he was also a close friend. Even with me trying to help, he went under.
My parents ran a strawberry farm in Qld from the 70s to the 00s, a big market giant went out and bought their own farm and undercut everyone else and that dropped the priced down, then other big retailers discounted their product below cost to get people in the store.