Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

The couple across the road are starting to have violent arguments again and missus is starting to get offered some pretty nice nags at prices well below what they might have been a year ago.

I’m definitely seeing a slow down in road traffic. A large and well established restaurant/cafe was visibly showing signs of lack of patronage, on Friday night I noticed it has had a name change, paint and signage saying ‘all functions caters for.
I'm seeing a lot less traffic on the roads, also a couple of mates, one owns a pub, the other a cafe are both trying to get out. The pub has changed hands new owners in early August. The cafe no bites so far, but he wants to go back to FIFO, he's had enough.

Shocked today. Popular icecream was down from $9 to $7. As was a range of goods at woolies. Looks like a permanent price drop.

So woolies must have noticed the negative attention it was getting for price gouging.
Good sign that the rates measures have finally bitten.

They were trying to flog their place off earlier in the year, but no bites. If members remember, this is the guy that lost two businesses to the McStalin junta's power tripping lockdown.
Unfortunately that is the reality of debt funded growth, whether it be a house or a business, neither are guaranteed.

That's why the faint hearted, never managed to do it and a lot of the over extended go broke.

That's of course unless you are one of the chosen group, who own property between Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney, then you get all the upside with none of the downside. ?

Australia is still a long way from a recession, let's get real, interest rates are still low, unemployment is still in the 3-4% range when normal recession range is 10-12%.

If they are shouting now, it could well get a lot worse, we are heading into an energy crisis, as coal and gas are on the outer and no one is making money from renewables, because they can't afford or obtain storage.

Plus coal power stations want to close because they're uneconomical.

We are going into a wage and OH&S blow out, have you seen how many people are standing around watching the guys do the verges.

We are going into a waste management blowout, as we can't recycle and we can't export the waste, so that is a time bomb.

We are meanwhile running a cultural war, while trying to man up for a probable war, when we can't even manufacture a decent tractor.

I think the guy has probably missed a bullet by losing his business, things could be a whole lot worse and probably will get there IMO.
So no debt, batten down the hatches, wait for the sun to come up.?

Last edited:
Shocked today. Popular icecream was down from $9 to $7. As was a range of goods at woolies. Looks like a permanent price drop.

So woolies must have noticed the negative attention it was getting for price gouging.
Yes, I just updated the woolies phone plan, really good deal, well that good I couldn't refuse it and I'm bloody tight.:wheniwasaboy:

Visited a major NW-Sydney shopping centre on Sunday, absurdly busy.

Full full full. I made the mistake of trying to visit the food court at 1PM ? and ended up waiting in line for some fast food for 20 minutes.

I'm still yet to personally see anything that looks remotely like a slowdown.

Visited a major NW-Sydney shopping centre on Sunday, absurdly busy.

Full full full. I made the mistake of trying to visit the food court at 1PM ? and ended up waiting in line for some fast food for 20 minutes.

I'm still yet to personally see anything that looks remotely like a slowdown.
Once again She and Me had lunch at the Food Hall in midland. 11.45 and the place was fairly humming. Not too many chairs were available even then.
The oversized tubs of lard wobbling by are unbelieveable, and the number of people in the shops look as if they are spending also.

How can you say woolies is price gouging when their most recent net profit margin result was 2.8% or something lol...

How can you say woolies is price gouging when their most recent net profit margin result was 2.8% or something lol...
A price drop on the ice cream. A really important part of the shopping.
Would be far better if meat, fruit and vegetables were more realistically priced.