Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The completely useless irrelevant thread

1971 was a very good year for me, personally.
Lotsa great things occurred, generally an excellent year.
For the rest of the world, it appears things were not so great.
Last night I came across this website WTF Happened in 1971 ???? .
It would appear that something happened in 1971 that caused some significant perturbations in the cosmos.
The above web site has a myriad of charts that highlight the massive changes in so many things starting in 1971.
Here are a few.
View attachment 179840

View attachment 179842
View attachment 179843
Edited because I pasted the same chart twice, replaced one with a different chart.
Another seniors moment.
Mick

That's impressive scrolling through the link... so what did happen that caused such changing trend that basically screwed everyone not a billionaire?

That's impressive scrolling through the link... so what did happen that caused such changing trend that basically screwed everyone not a billionaire?
In 1971, President Nixon directed Treasury Secretary Connally to suspend, with certain exceptions, the convertibility of the dollar into gold or other reserve assets, ordering the gold window to be closed such that foreign governments could no longer exchange their dollars for gold.

In 1971, President Nixon directed Treasury Secretary Connally to suspend, with certain exceptions, the convertibility of the dollar into gold or other reserve assets, ordering the gold window to be closed such that foreign governments could no longer exchange their dollars for gold.

I was aware of that but how did that affect the changes seen, what was the mechanisms?

I was aware of that but how did that affect the changes seen, what was the mechanisms?
easy or hard answer?

Exchange rates floated against each other and inflation increased heavily. As the discount rate was not raised at the same rate as inflation, the speculation economy was encouraged. This pushed up inflation.

investors chased assets.

easy or hard answer?

Exchange rates floated against each other and inflation increased heavily. As the discount rate was not raised at the same rate as inflation, the speculation economy was encouraged. This pushed up inflation.

investors chased assets.

Cheers Dona the social impacts and inequity around distribution of wealth is quite extraordinary.

This painting of the legend was in 1640 when it was understood that the liver regenerated...

PROMETHEUS writhes in agony as a huge eagle, talons gripping his head and groin, devours his liver. The hero's nude body, powerfully muscled and steeply foreshortened, is chained at the wrist to the rock. Prometheus lies on blue and white drapery, his of the boulders on the left is a glimpse of an open landscape.

prometheus-bound.jpg!Large.jpg

Killing time this morning waiting on an extreme weather event that has not as yet happened.
Still it gives me a chance to a two tryes repaired, 1 a blow out and the other staked in the paddock I was working in yesterday, and the third thing a flat tractor battery. having a good run with batteries this year.
Had to buy 8 so far.

This is potentially off topic, because it may be both useful and relevant:

In Ancient Greece, Socrates had a great reputation for wisdom. One day, someone came to find the great philosopher and said to him:
"Do you know what I just heard about your friend?"
"A moment," replied Socrates. "Before you tell me, I would like to test it with the three sieves."
"The three sieves?"
"Yes," continued Socrates. "Before you speak about others, it's important to take the time to filter what you mean. I call it the test of the three sieves. The first sieve is TRUTH. Have you checked if what you're going to tell me is true?"
"No, I just heard it."
"Very well! So, you don't know if it's true. Let's move on to the second sieve, that of KINDNESS. Is what you want to tell me about my friend something good?"
"Oh, no! On the contrary."
"So," questioned Socrates, "you want to tell me something negative about him, and you're not even sure it's true? Perhaps you can still pass the test of the third sieve, that of UTILITY. Is it useful for me to know what you're going to tell me about this friend?"
"No, not really."
"Therefore," concluded Socrates, "what you were going to tell me is neither true, nor good, nor useful. Why, then, did you want to tell me this?"
"Gossip is a bad thing. Initially, it may seem enjoyable and fun, but ultimately, it fills our hearts with bitterness and poisons us."

My German Shepherd really enjoys watching Inspector Rex.

It is his favourite programme after Border Security.

gg
Have you tried providing him with reruns of Rin Tin Tin?
Maybe for a little less serious entertainment, maybe paw Patrol or scooby dooby doo?
Or what about lassie. I hear in the dog world she was pretty hot.
Mick

I have it on very good authority, that the current La Nina phase of the ENSO is not happy with its gender assignment, and wants to be known as an El Nino.
Remains to be seen if indeed it will affect the weather adversely.
Mick
Shouldn't that be La Nino or El Nina.

gg

Imagine if the French language suffered from gender identity crisis. Le changed to la, and la changed to le ? It'd be a nightmare.
What's the gender neutral word?