Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Propaganda in movies and media

Or are you suggesting our parliamentary question time, is unlike a daytime t.v show portraying idiotic behaviour?
You can't tell the difference between a parliamentary debate and shock jock drama - despite the link making it clear - so I understand why you pick on the media rather than draw lessons from it.
The media has just made the line between stupid infantile political behaviour, pantomime and news reporting just that more more difficult to differentiate.
That's wholly dependent on who you draw information from and how good you are at analysis.
CGTN has a Russian journalist embedded with Russian troops in eastern Ukraine. He actually does a pretty good job of reporting what he shows. The thing is, he's very selective on what he shows. More properly, there is a lot he could instead show which tells a very different story. Propaganda plays on ignorance.

That's wholly dependent on who you draw information from and how good you are at analysis.
CGTN has a Russian journalist embedded with Russian troops in eastern Ukraine. He actually does a pretty good job of reporting what he shows. The thing is, he's very selective on what he shows. More properly, there is a lot he could instead show which tells a very different story. Propaganda plays on ignorance.
No one can tell the difference between a parliamentary debate and shock jock drama - despite the link making it clear, other than believing the link is an accurate representation. With the media today, especially from half the World away, you only believe it because they are telling you it is true, I'm not so trusting and form my own opinion from all sources, not just sources that feed my own beliefs. ;)

I actually can't be bothered watching Australian media let alone overseas shows, drawing conclusions on what someone is presenting from a place half the world away, is about as reliable as reading it in the 'Women's Day' IMO.
As you said above, 'he's very selective on what he shows', tells me that any conclusion drawn is the one he wants to paint, as is the way with all media today.
There are just as many people say the old Fairfax media is biased, as there are that say the Murdoch media is biased, the facts lie somewhere in the middle IMO.
But try to explain that to a 'true believer' even on this forum. :xyxthumbs

I found this definition of propaganda ....
And I just wonder if people can recall (even read current examples of ) classic propaganda events / news relases etc.

I guess the Nazis would have been amongst the first to perfect this stuff. Since then it has been copied by the Communists - and of course our own politicians (imo).

But this definition of propaganda was given during questioning of Ayn Rand at the House of Representatives' Committee on Un-American Activities (commonly known as the House Un-American Activities Committee, or HUAC1) on October 20, 1947 - a few years before McCarthy, but similar.

Next post I'll add some cross-examination. I'm not saying she's entirely wrong . But she sure as hell comes to the subject with her own prejudices.

I mean, I wonder if Ayn would give the Russians credit that they lost 23,000,000 people during WWII - compared to USA's 420,000. (i.e. 55 Russians died for each US death).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

And that a lot of Americans were almost certainly not aware of that fact then (or now for that matter) :2twocents

http://www.noblesoul.com/orc/texts/huac.html

so the USA wouldn't do something like that?

btw Ayn - if things were tough before the revolution, Do you think perhaps that's why they had the revolution?

so at least she credits them with knowing something about music - and chess I guess -

"that a choice group of .. leaders will tell the people lies " - you're kidding!!
I don't claim numbers, because that's history and classified material. However, I completely agree that propaganda is present in the media and movies. They propagandize whatever they need to propagandize. And they do it covertly, veiledly.