Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Planning to retire

Not hijacked. It is actually my point.

Wife won't travel with me much. See is happy with what she does here. She won't stop me though. Doing a short trip to Tassie end of Feb so that's nice. I am going to spend a month in SriLanka mid year. She won't come.

@macca Yea take you point My German family came to my wedding and couldn't do any of the walking track activities.
It sounds like you have it sorted out well, you will know when the time is right.

Do it while you are physically and mentally able ;)

I started ticking the bucket list in my 50s then 60s and the number of old or feeble people dragging themselves around the tourist sites was quite noticeable.

I went to Cape York on a tour, 4 people on the coach got to the car park and then could not walk the rocky track to the Cape, a long way to go then not be able to reach the endpoint.

If you like out of the way places or walking a bush track to a special site then now is definitely the time to go.

You also need to consider that not only do you need to be healthy but your wife needs to stay healthy as well, if she should suddenly get sick then you ain't going nowhere !
@macca Only too well to I know that scenario. She had a stint in hospital for 3 months. I dropped everything to help her through that and then the follow up at home for another 3 months. Then I was badly injured and she became the rock for me to balance on and be supported. From serious injuries etc strength can certainly grow.

But as with many thint gs these days, we put in the extra mile to find a reason to be more PC than the next person.
I'm a bit taken aback at the comments as the offending line just went right over my head . I'm always alert now , to my own rubbish being read completely differently to what I had in mind . A born " foot in mouth " kind of guy like me has to be so , so careful not to even slightly upset anyone in this new medium. I constantly have to self censor by not immediately pressing " send " but leaving it sit and coming back later. About half my posts get trashed , this way. If I got the dreaded " ignore" from anyone here , it wouldn't just be a bit of an embarrassment . I 'd be mortified. ( Funny old world we live in now , eh? )

@UMike not an easy decision for you. A personal question and please don't answer unless you wish to but how does your wife feel about you retiring while she continues to work?

I'm a bit taken aback at the comments as the offending line just went right over my head . I'm always alert now , to my own rubbish being read completely differently to what I had in mind . A born " foot in mouth " kind of guy like me has to be so , so careful not to even slightly upset anyone in this new medium. I constantly have to self censor by not immediately pressing " send " but leaving it sit and coming back later. About half my posts get trashed , this way. If I got the dreaded " ignore" from anyone here , it wouldn't just be a bit of an embarrassment . I 'd be mortified. ( Funny old world we live in now , eh? )
Good advice, thanks, I tend to just say it as I see it.
But these days a lot of people seem to have a morbid fascination in becoming self appointed moral judges, then in the next breath they say something rude or disrespectful themselves, it is a strange world we live in.

@UMike not an easy decision for you. A personal question and please don't answer unless you wish to but how does your wife feel about you retiring while she continues to work?
Ohhhh I am so happy at any time to talk about Mrs UMike. 😍 Probably should write a book about her. 😍 😍😍

She Loves her job (her own business) and won't leave it. One great aspect of it is she can get the Kids some roles and as they don't drive yet I accompany and "manage" the jobs she gets for them.

Retirement isn''t an issue. Leaving home and travelling for lengths of time isn't something that she isn't fond of I am sure. I Motorbiked all over North Vietnam and will spend a month in Sri Lanka this year. She is invited.
Maybe retirement and me moping around the house would be an issue

@dyna There was offence there.

@sptrawler it certainly is a strange world. But tiring. What to do stuff before they lock my freedom loving arse up.

Do u
you need a pillion passenger. Lol
Mr sp have you seen the put puts that people go around on in Vietnam. Youngest son did tour on his own about 5 years ago on a 125 cc Honda Fortunately the breakdowns were not monumental and he survived to tell the tale.

Slight tangent. Just saw a story about a guy in Sydney who received a decent inheritance and decided to retire.
What is he doing ?

1707612892918.png

Slight tangent. Just saw a story about a guy in Sydney who received a decent inheritance and decided to retire.
What is he doing ?

View attachment 170609
What a legend, but will he be acknowledged for his selfness to better the water ways

What a legend, but will he be acknowledged for his selfness to better the water ways
Does it matter ? I'm sure Andy doesn't give a toss if he is "acknowledged" . He just knows its a good idea, needs to be done and does it. And enjoys it.
I think he would like to encourage a few other people to do likewise and I'm sure Andy would want serious progress made on reducing rubbish in the Harbour.

Does it matter ? I'm sure Andy doesn't give a toss if he is "acknowledged" . He just knows its a good idea, needs to be done and does it. And enjoys it.
I think he would like to encourage a few other people to do likewise and I'm sure Andy would want serious progress made on reducing rubbish in the Harbour.
To be acknowledged just might encourage other to take up a bucket and start doing what Andy does, even if it is only for a couple hours on a weekend.

Things I love to do:
  1. Reading
  2. Gardening
  3. Listening to music
  4. Learning (Podcasts, Courses, Newsletters, Social media)
    1. Programming languages
    2. Trading systems
    3. Economic fundamentals
    4. Politics/Geopolitics
    5. Information security
    6. Plants
    7. History
  5. Bushwalking
  6. Going to the beach
  7. Software development
  8. Watching movies, TV shows and animation
  9. Playing video games
  10. Cooking
Most of the above love even more if I can do it with my partner.

Done a lot of global travelling for work, nowhere I've been is better than Australia.

If I had the choice, I wouldn't work for a second.