Votes: 35 6.0%
  • God's existance is equally probable and improbable

Votes: 51 8.7%
  • I dont think the existance of god is probable

Votes: 112 19.1%
  • I know there is no GOD we are a random quirk of nature

Votes: 167 28.5%

• Total voters
gee I feel sorry for anyone who feels somehow compelled (com Pell-ed?) to listen to this stuff and take it on board. "In God's name" (whatever that means).
Can't people make decisions for themselves? So enlightening to hear Christian politicians telling these dinasaurs to "button it !!"

(by the way the Anglican Archbishop was almost as bad - but less publicity) :2twocents
Galileo would say this is dejavu all over again.
You wonder if a cure for any number of diseases came out of this research, would the "archbishops" deny their use "in God's name"?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200706/s1944347.htm
MPs react to Archbishop 'blackmail'
New South Wales MPs have used a debate on new stem cell legislation to attack the Catholic Archbishop of Sydney, Cardinal George Pell, after he warned parliamentarians against supporting the bill.

NSW Emergency Services Minister Nathan Rees accused the Cardinal of blackmailing Catholic MPs.

"He can apologise, or he can invite further comparisons with that serial boofhead, Sheikh Al Hilali," he said.

State Planning Minister Frank Sartor says the comments border on zealotry.

"The days when the church burnt people in pots of oil are over," he said.

Health Minister Reba Meagher says they were disturbing. "That the Cardinal would chose to intervene and threaten Catholic MPs in New South Wales demonstrated just how out of touch he has become," she said.

The majority of MPs speaking on the issue today have backed the bill, but some, such as shadow attorney-general Greg Smith, expressed concern. "This bill seeks to remove the legal prohibition against cloning a human embryo for the purpose of destructive experimentation," he said. The debate continues tonight.

By absolute contrast ....this man makes sense..
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200706/s1944045.htm

Attachments

• dalai lama.jpg
    dalai lama.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 200
The Ends of the Earth

The angel Uriel guided Enoch in most of his travels. They made several trips to the ends of the earth, where the dome of heaven came down to the surface. For instance, Enoch says:

I went to the extreme ends of the earth and saw there huge beasts, each different from the other and different birds (also) differing from one another in appearance, beauty, and voice. And to the east of those beasts, I saw the ultimate ends of the earth which rests on the heaven. And the gates of heaven were open, and I saw how the stars of heaven come out...(1 Enoch 33:1-2).

In conversation with a religious man one day he said that I would have eternal life if I placed my faith with his god.My experience of life,flesh , blood,bone etc. has revealed that this is not possible.(with all life too)The way he presented his belief that youth is eternal is where I came unstuck.
So with a question of equal confusion (to most) I asked if he would be disappointed when his body has decayed.It was then I saw in his eye a look of a `true believer`.He believed something that I had no idea about and an answer was not forthcoming , needless to say we differ greatly on reality.

http://www.jokesnjokes.net/funny.jokes.amusing.humor.laughs/Profession/accountant003.htm

"The Interview

A businessman was interviewing applicants for the position of divisional manager. He devised a simple test to select the most suitable person for the job. He asked each applicant the question, "What is two and two?"

The first interviewee was a journalist. His answer was "Twenty-two."

The second applicant was an engineer. He pulled out a slide rule and showed the answer to be between 3.999 and 4.001.

The next person was a lawyer. He stated that in the case of Jenkins v Commr of Stamp Duties (Qld), two and two was proven to be four.

The last applicant was an accountant. The businessman asked him, "How much is two and two?"

The accountant got up from his chair, went over to the door and closed it then came back and sat down. He leaned across the desk and said in a low voice, "How much do you want it to be?"

He got the job."

I sometimes wondered if I would be punished if I spoke my beliefs.These beliefs would be contradictory to religion and I thought I would be tried in the "mental court" for blasphemy.I was fearful.

Blasphemy is the defamation of the name of one or more gods. These may include using sacred names as stress expletives without intention to pray or speak of sacred matters. Sometimes blasphemy is used loosely to mean any profane language, for example in "With much hammering and blasphemy, the locomotive's replacement spring was finally fitted."

In a broader sense, blasphemy is irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable. In this broader sense the term is used by Sir Francis Bacon in the Advancement of Learning, when he speaks of "blasphemy against learning".

Many cultures disapprove of speech or writing which defames the god or gods of their established religions, and these restrictions have the force of law in some countries.

In different countries maybe more than a "mental court".
But.....like beauty and justice , blasphemy is in the eye of the beholder.

That's just lame insider - there're better ways to draw attention to the threads you're interested in! I noticed you did that for the house thread thingy as well... :rolleyes:

Are you kidding me... This thread is always up on the screen! If there's a better way then I'd like to hear it... I'm sure people wouldn't like me to start cross pollinating topics into 'stock related threads'... But Jeez when I saw the topic 'Is there a God'... I thought "damn that's a tricky topic... I'll cross pollinate". Maybe I'll start a new thread called "Is there a God an how to beat the taxman in the one thread"... hence "Two birds with one stone" :rolleyes:

If there's a better way then I'd like to hear it... I'm sure people wouldn't like me to start cross pollinating topics into 'stock related threads'... But Jeez when I saw the topic 'Is there a God'... I thought "damn that's a tricky topic... I'll cross pollinate". Maybe I'll start a new thread called "Is there a God an how to beat the taxman in the one thread"... hence "Two birds with one stone" :rolleyes:

The better way? Keep increasing the quality of the postings...

That other thread is interesting as is; it doesn't need more attention already. Trust me, I follow it; just not posting if I haven't got things to say. Lack of postings doesn't mean it ain't getting attention. My point is if you start making it a habit to "cross-polinate" a bit too often it starts to get a wee bit annoying :cool:

And commenting on the poll results I realised the 2 "extreme" choices garnered the most responses, and those who know that God exists without question just about edged it. I'm no statistician (well probably an amateur one :rolleyes:) but 2 conclusions I can draw:

1) People who're in business tend to lean towards total conviction as to what they believe in. In fact the 2 choices mentioned have 110 out of 196 total of respondents, which is 56.1%, just over half. The other 4 slightly more ambivalent choices only garnered 43.9% combined.

2) The fact that the "God exists without question" option got the most responses shows that to a sizeable amount of people involved in a results-driven environment, God and striving for money can co-exist.

Maybe there's another conclusion Mousie, lol
and maybe Insider is right?
People probably really go to church to talk about houses and how to cheat the taxman ;)

And commenting on the poll results I realised the 2 "extreme" choices garnered the most responses, and those who know that God exists without question just about edged it. I'm no statistician (well probably an amateur one :rolleyes:) but 2 conclusions I can draw:

1) People who're in business tend to lean towards total conviction as to what they believe in. In fact the 2 choices mentioned have 110 out of 196 total of respondents, which is 56.1%, just over half. The other 4 slightly more ambivalent choices only garnered 43.9% combined.

2) The fact that the "God exists without question" option got the most responses shows that to a sizeable amount of people involved in a results-driven environment, God and striving for money can co-exist.
And 98% of traders are wrong. Hmmmmm.

Maybe there's another conclusion Mousie, lol
and maybe Insider is right?
People probably really go to church to talk about houses and how to cheat the taxman ;)

What's your conclusion(s) hindsight, be interested to hear it :)

Yes, there is a tendency for church-goers to go to church and, apart from the main service where everything God is brought up, talk about anything but God before and after that LOL. But if they do so wholly and exclusively :)eek: :eek:) they aren't really privy to the real purpose of coming to church, are they? ;)

What's your conclusion(s) hindsight, be interested to hear it
Mousie, Obviously many go for the best intentions and get a positive out of it.

But as an aside --- ;)
Just heard the funniest John Clarke and Bryan Dawe skit on ABC radio this morning ;)
Clarke playing Tony Abbott - going to see Archbishop Pell every second week to get fully briefed on the latest ideas about "independent thought " :2twocents funny as.

Sorry Mousie, you were referring to the graph maybe?
like the result they got on the other website (as posted previously? ) - where those idiots are so confused ;)

happy hour comment :- I bet if we all got pissed together, and someone said "c'mon now, be 100% honest now, do you really think you KNOW whether there IS or ISN't etc - " lol
better not go there, I get into enough trouble as it is ;)

Attachments

• poll1.jpg
    poll1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 156
Sorry Mousie, you were referring to the graph maybe?

Yes of course I was :D

Well if the other site exists ;) I'll probably hazard a guess they're all from the arts stream of things LOL

happy hour comment :- I bet if we all got pissed together, and someone said "c'mon now, be 100% honest now, do you really think you KNOW whether there IS or ISN't etc - " lol
better not go there, I get into enough trouble as it is ;)

Well they can ask, and I can definitely answer stomach in chest out :D

If I can be stuffed answering that is, upon seeing that kind of attitude.

Although I am, I suspect, way very much your junior, I've lived long enough to know the futility of cold and hard selling, thank you very much :)

oh oh
There's another Jonestown in the making ... :eek: (BUT I haven't see it right thruogH yet)
Watch Channel 9 , 60 minutes all you Wassies - about half way through the program.
"Why would theses children say they would lay down their lives for you "
"Because they love me !":(
sexual abuse etc - 5 years in jail etc .

Yes, there is a tendency for church-goers to go to church and, apart from the main service where everything God is brought up, talk about anything but God before and after that LOL.
'Church goers' actually go to hear about Jesus, not God. Jesus is a historical figure, and an example of what may have been the best way people could live in the year 0. Maybe. That's all. Our 'God' in generic terms, is very, very, different to the God of the Old Testament, and the Holy Trinity. Please do some research on The History of God. It's enlightneing!! I am converted!!!! And faithful.

The bottom line is that this is an unanswerable question.

Those who say they believe there is a god can't prove it in any way, except to themselves of course. They believe it for their own personal reasons.

The same applies to those who say they know for sure there isnt a god. This cannot be proven either. They also believe it for their own reasons.

The only truly honest answer to this question is "I don't know".

The bottom line is that this is an unanswerable question.

Those who say they believe there is a god can't prove it in any way, except to themselves of course. They believe it for their own personal reasons.

The same applies to those who say they know for sure there isnt a god. This cannot be proven either. They also believe it for their own reasons.

The only truly honest answer to this question is "I don't know".
Or, under this hypothesis, everything we think is true can be said to be 'my understanding of events' and not the actual truth. Perception is reality.