Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Is political correctness going too far?

Nah having a daughter I cringed from the very start I did think maybe its a Spanish thing but clearly not.

If you listen to him talk that made me cringe to.

My neighbor (female) wondered if maybe he had an itch in he crutch holding display.

Hermoso great player BTW took the ball of the Britts repeatedly

Yep, seemed off-colour. Also nothing happens in a vacuum. The Wikipedia thing on the thing says, "Rubiales then entered the players' dressing room, reportedly throwing his arm around Hermoso and joking about marrying her in Ibiza." There was also some other somewhat dicey stuff that day, apparently. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubiales_affair#World_Cup_final_incidents ) Then he was hounding her to help hose down the flames of the controversy. Not cool, and I'm no feminist :p

Ho, ho, no! Council cancelled Christmas for ‘making merry’

A Melbourne council has come under fire for cancelling the word Christmas from its festive decorations and signage, in a bid to be “inclusive”.

We are so busy apologising for what we are, we are forgetting that people want to come here, maybe a part of the reason they want to come is because of what we are.
Who says we will be a better country for dropping our culture, maybe we will allow ourselves to become like the countries the migrants are leaving, that would be interesting, we really do have an inferiority complex.
Who knows why?
I'm sure migrants that come here can accept us as we are, we don't demand they come here, they want to come here.
If I went to a Muslim, Hindu or any other country, I wouldn't expect them to change their culture or beliefs, to facilitate me.
We are weird people.:2twocents

So how much money have the knockers raised?
The knockers are too busy telling everyone about their flaws, they don't have time to actually self assess their own, that is becoming more and more obvious on all their agenda's.
They are just becoming attention seeking disruptors, who move from one media grabbing issue to the next, unfortunately people are becoming more and more detached from the issues as a result.
The 'Voice' highlighted that, from being the most important issue facing Australia, so important in fact it required a referendum.
Now the issue of indigenous disadvantage, not even rating a cursory mention in the media these days, political credibility zero.
What happened to all the marchers? Now the media has moved on, the marchers have moved on with them, it's a shame the issues are still there.
Lucky the 1970's activists weren't as fickle, otherwise a lot of these marchers would be signing up for national service, rather than sticking themselves to the road causing more pollution, as the traffic is backed up and idling away with the A/C on. ;)

Last edited:
Just had a relaxing and bollocking Boxing Day watching Rickey Gervais on Netflix. It was the Supernature special.
A great writer and story teller. Not afraid to explain why being trans is ones right but "drop the #ock".

Geldof did say Africa in the song but everyone, at that time, knew it was about Ethiopia.
What I see here isn't so much a problem with the lyrics but rather, it's someone proudly displaying their failure to appreciate the context.

The song was hastily written and recorded as a well intentioned albeit clearly imperfect fundraising effort, there simply wasn't time to ponder the lyrics in detail. That plus the lyrics need be something able to be sung, in this case by a large number of singers without time for proper rehearsals, and the end product needed to suit the lowest common denominator of broadcasters and listeners whilst still being good enough that people would buy the record.

"Ethiopia" is a terribly problematic word in that context, it just doesn't easily work to sing it and especially not by a large and diverse group, whereas "Africa" is far easier to sing and everyone who heard it understood exactly what was being referred to.

In my view well at least they gave it a go. At least they tried - even if it's imperfect at least it beats sitting around doing nothing. It's better than the modern trend of taking pictures whilst a disaster unfolds rather than trying to do something about it.

If I were to make an actual criticism of it, the main one is it does have a pretty major gender imbalance with just 4 women, 3 of them from the same group, out of more than 40 artists involved. There were plenty of popular female singers around at the time in mainstream music so either they practically all declined or they simply weren't asked. Intentional or oversight, it does look somewhat dubious in that regard.

Plus a technicality - there's no h in Sara. The record sleeve got that wrong. :D

1000009126.png

Hence my comments in the Christmas thread. Methodist, CofE, whatever, they are all turning to crap.
Hence my comments in the Christmas thread. Methodist, CofE, whatever, they are all turning to crap.

It is a shame though, the Methodists were always gung ho on workers education and workers rights when the latter had none, in the 19thC.

They seem to have gone all soft and lost their mongrel since they separated from the Presbos.

gg

A lesbian couple I've known since the 1990's have for a very long time used the term "wife" in one direction only, "partner" in the other direction, and in anything written formally it's "Ms & Mrs ******".

Overall they've adopted a pretty traditional male / female model so far as practical. Yes Ms ****** wore a suit at their wedding and is the "partner" whilst Mrs ****** wore the white dress and is the "wife". All a very conscious decision on their part.

I can't imagine them taking even the slightest offence if someone gets it wrong as long as it's not intentional rudeness etc. :2twocents

A lesbian couple I've known since the 1990's have for a very long time used the term "wife" in one direction only, "partner" in the other direction, and in anything written formally it's "Ms & Mrs ******".

Overall they've adopted a pretty traditional male / female model so far as practical. Yes Ms ****** wore a suit at their wedding and is the "partner" whilst Mrs ****** wore the white dress and is the "wife". All a very conscious decision on their part.

I can't imagine them taking even the slightest offence if someone gets it wrong as long as it's not intentional rudeness etc. :2twocents

It's all getting very confusing for those not in the "know". :rolleyes:

It's all getting very confusing for those not in the "know". :rolleyes:
I would have thought Nadal doing a superannuation run, is par for course these days, most people squeeze every bit they can out of their career even journalists, I would imagine.:rolleyes:

In the middle of last year, Jordan Henderson, captain of English Premier League giant Liverpool and 75 times capped by England, suddenly signed with Saudi Arabian team Al-Ettifaq, coached by his former teammate Steven Gerrard.

It wasn’t about the money, Henderson reassured all. The $280,000 a week he was getting from Liverpool just about covered his needs. It was because of his passion to “grow the game that I love”, to “grow the sport all over the world”.

Then he was off to join Cristiano Ronaldo et al, and you couldn’t see him for sand.
Of course, there was the small matter of his previous public support for the LGBTQ community. Al-Ettifaq took care of that. In the video they released to announce Henderson’s signing, they desaturated the colour of his Pride-style armband to black and white. In Saudi Arabia, everything is black and white.

You’d have to have been asleep or watching certain tennis players not to have noticed the stream of sportspeople, events and organisations lining up at the Saudis’ door in recent years, either to play there in competitions the Saudis just dreamed up or invite the Saudis to invest in them at home.
Soccer, golf, boxing, tennis, F1, the Olympics, horse racing; all appear in the portfolio of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund. By one estimate, that fund has done nearly $10 billion in sports deals since 2021.
The latest is tennis legend Rafael Nadal, who has signed on as an “ambassador”.
It’s not for the money, of course. When you’ve already made more than $200 million in prizemoney in your career and a multiple of that in sponsorship, it couldn’t be about the money, oh no.
It’s because Nadal so badly wants to “help the sport grow far and wide across the world”. If growing the sport far and wide is the cause, you might ask why Nadal did not start with Nigeria or Afghanistan or Bolivia, instead of one of the richest countries in the world.

You might ask why he doesn’t give instead of receive. But sometimes it doesn’t pay to ask.
Nadal cannot be faulted when he says that there is massive scope for growth in tennis in Saudi Arabia. A cursory search reveals a total of two active professional Saudi players, with no ranking points and a total of $934 between them in prizemoney.
This will shock you: both are men. As news of Nadal’s latest mission spread and other players were canvassed for their reaction, men tended to say it was his business, women that it was a difficult subject.

“It was always hard for me to say if it’s good or not,” said world No.1 Iga Swiatek, “because it’s not easy for women in these areas.” Russian Daria Kasatkina said she could see “both sides of the coin”. If only some of her male peers could see that a coin, all newly minted and glistening, has sides.

The Saudis aren’t interested in development for development’s sake. That would be greening, not greenwashing. They don’t want players in the Australian Open, they want the Open. They’re not planning to host a lucrative new tournament two weeks before the Open simply because the weather’s nice in Riyadh at that time of year. Australian authorities are on the alert.
Like all empires, the Saudis can never have enough. Their spoils include global soccer stars Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and Lionel Messi on a $25 million annual promotional retainer, though he does not play there. They’ve got half the world’s best golfers in their pockets, too. Now they’ve got a nice little Nadal to set on their mantelpiece. If you press the button at the back, it says “grow the game” in a husky Spanish accent. But there’s plenty of room for more.
To be fair, few of us can say for sure how blind an eye we would be prepared to turn if we were offered fabulous sums merely to do what comes naturally. Vanishingly few are ever in the position. We buy Tattslotto tickets instead.

But the lucky ones should dispense with feeble alibis. Nadal’s getting a truckload of money to add to the fleet he already has, so he should spare us the cant about the “growth and progress” he can see in Saudi Arabia and his mission to “encourage kids to pick up a racquet and enjoy the benefits of a healthy living”.
Someone is certainly making a healthy living. Don’t @ me about all the other worthy causes Nadal supports. So he should.

It emerged this month that Henderson wants out of Al-Ettiffaq, six months after he arrived. The season has gone poorly, he’s dissatisfied with the standard of soccer and dismayed by the negligible crowds. He’s struggling to cope with the heat and humidity. It turns out Saudi Arabia is Saudi Arabia. Evidently, Henderson’s vocation to “grow the game” has withered and died.
But he can’t go back to Liverpool or anywhere else in England, not yet. If he were to return within two years, he would be liable to pay millions of dollars in tax on his Saudi earnings. He’ll probably camp out in Europe in the meantime.

It’s not about the money, though. How could you even think it?

I would have thought Nadal doing a superannuation run, is par for course these days, most people squeeze every bit they can out of their career even journalists, I would imagine.:rolleyes:

In the middle of last year, Jordan Henderson, captain of English Premier League giant Liverpool and 75 times capped by England, suddenly signed with Saudi Arabian team Al-Ettifaq, coached by his former teammate Steven Gerrard.

It wasn’t about the money, Henderson reassured all. The $280,000 a week he was getting from Liverpool just about covered his needs. It was because of his passion to “grow the game that I love”, to “grow the sport all over the world”.

Then he was off to join Cristiano Ronaldo et al, and you couldn’t see him for sand.
Of course, there was the small matter of his previous public support for the LGBTQ community. Al-Ettifaq took care of that. In the video they released to announce Henderson’s signing, they desaturated the colour of his Pride-style armband to black and white. In Saudi Arabia, everything is black and white.

You’d have to have been asleep or watching certain tennis players not to have noticed the stream of sportspeople, events and organisations lining up at the Saudis’ door in recent years, either to play there in competitions the Saudis just dreamed up or invite the Saudis to invest in them at home.
Soccer, golf, boxing, tennis, F1, the Olympics, horse racing; all appear in the portfolio of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund. By one estimate, that fund has done nearly $10 billion in sports deals since 2021.
The latest is tennis legend Rafael Nadal, who has signed on as an “ambassador”.
It’s not for the money, of course. When you’ve already made more than $200 million in prizemoney in your career and a multiple of that in sponsorship, it couldn’t be about the money, oh no.
It’s because Nadal so badly wants to “help the sport grow far and wide across the world”. If growing the sport far and wide is the cause, you might ask why Nadal did not start with Nigeria or Afghanistan or Bolivia, instead of one of the richest countries in the world.

You might ask why he doesn’t give instead of receive. But sometimes it doesn’t pay to ask.
Nadal cannot be faulted when he says that there is massive scope for growth in tennis in Saudi Arabia. A cursory search reveals a total of two active professional Saudi players, with no ranking points and a total of $934 between them in prizemoney.
This will shock you: both are men. As news of Nadal’s latest mission spread and other players were canvassed for their reaction, men tended to say it was his business, women that it was a difficult subject.

“It was always hard for me to say if it’s good or not,” said world No.1 Iga Swiatek, “because it’s not easy for women in these areas.” Russian Daria Kasatkina said she could see “both sides of the coin”. If only some of her male peers could see that a coin, all newly minted and glistening, has sides.

The Saudis aren’t interested in development for development’s sake. That would be greening, not greenwashing. They don’t want players in the Australian Open, they want the Open. They’re not planning to host a lucrative new tournament two weeks before the Open simply because the weather’s nice in Riyadh at that time of year. Australian authorities are on the alert.
Like all empires, the Saudis can never have enough. Their spoils include global soccer stars Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and Lionel Messi on a $25 million annual promotional retainer, though he does not play there. They’ve got half the world’s best golfers in their pockets, too. Now they’ve got a nice little Nadal to set on their mantelpiece. If you press the button at the back, it says “grow the game” in a husky Spanish accent. But there’s plenty of room for more.
To be fair, few of us can say for sure how blind an eye we would be prepared to turn if we were offered fabulous sums merely to do what comes naturally. Vanishingly few are ever in the position. We buy Tattslotto tickets instead.

But the lucky ones should dispense with feeble alibis. Nadal’s getting a truckload of money to add to the fleet he already has, so he should spare us the cant about the “growth and progress” he can see in Saudi Arabia and his mission to “encourage kids to pick up a racquet and enjoy the benefits of a healthy living”.
Someone is certainly making a healthy living. Don’t @ me about all the other worthy causes Nadal supports. So he should.

It emerged this month that Henderson wants out of Al-Ettiffaq, six months after he arrived. The season has gone poorly, he’s dissatisfied with the standard of soccer and dismayed by the negligible crowds. He’s struggling to cope with the heat and humidity. It turns out Saudi Arabia is Saudi Arabia. Evidently, Henderson’s vocation to “grow the game” has withered and died.
But he can’t go back to Liverpool or anywhere else in England, not yet. If he were to return within two years, he would be liable to pay millions of dollars in tax on his Saudi earnings. He’ll probably camp out in Europe in the meantime.

It’s not about the money, though. How could you even think it?

$280k a WEEK ?

That's almost obscene.

Here is a classic fallout from muppets being led by self centered management and it cascades over into self infatuated politicians of which we have plenty.
Most normal people wouldn't get involved in the $hit pit of politics IMO.
Because politicians have no problem espousing their friendship for virtue signaling issues, but say fck all when the same $hitheads screw the worker, who saves their loyalty points.

The previously unheard-of Andrew Glance is about to take one of Australia’s hottest and most challenging executive seats – he has been named the new head of Qantas Loyalty.

How does he win back the favour of his loyalty customers, all of whom have been hit with an enormous decrease in the value of their points?
Everyone is aware that airfares, particularly international airfares, have increased since COVID, but the increases aren’t a patch on the rise in the number of points needed to redeem flights.
By way of illustration: in 2019, a Qantas customer needed 139,000 points to fly one-way on business class to Europe using Classic Rewards, plus a couple of hundred dollars in fees and taxes. Back then Qantas would even throw in a chauffeur-driven limo at either end.

I checked the points pricing today for the same business flight in May 2024 – and to be fair to Qantas, I didn’t choose a flight in the peak of the northern hemisphere’s summer season. The best on offer was 1.2 million points; the highest was 2.5 million points.