Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

World must 'buckle up' for higher interest rates, warns IMF boss

The war between Hamas terrorists and Israel has had a “visible” economic impact, according to the head of the International Monetary Fund, as she warned the era of low interest rates was over.

“Unquestionably we are in a more shock-prone world. And that requires countries to adapt to that world rather than pretend that it does not exist,” Kristalina Georgieva told the Future Investment Initiative in Riyadh.

She said that while inflation was now slowly coming down “it is not going down fast enough”, adding: “So now ... our call to everybody is: buckle up. Make sure that you understand interest rates are here to stay for longer.”

Describing the conflict in the Middle East as “tragic”, Ms Georgieva warned that further global tensions would hurt an already fragile global recovery from the pandemic.

She said: “[In the] uncertain world we live in, growth is slow, and will remain slow for years to come. Inflation is still high and that requires interest rates to remain high, throwing more cold water on growth.

“Who in their right mind would then further negatively impact our prospects for growth by fragmenting the world economy? So please! Come to your senses, all of us!

“We have a very tragic moment by the people affected by the war that erupted. It is devastating for the families that have suffered losses. terrible for the economic prospects for the epicentre of the war [and will have a] negative impact on neighbours through trade channels, tourism channels, cost of insurance and a more jittery world [with] more anxiety in the world.”

Right, in that case, I am going to bet she will give us another 25 points.
I mean she said that renters are having it better this year than in 2021, so she is obviously very much in the loop, and has a pulse on what is happening out there in the burbs.
Mick
Latest betting markets are as follows:

RBA "stays on hold" in November paying $2.88

RBA "any rate hike" in November paying $1.53

Latest betting markets are as follows:

RBA "stays on hold" in November paying $2.88

RBA "any rate hike" in November paying $1.53
just saying ... but it is fairly rare for the RBA to raise on Melbourne Cup Day

if it does to save the Ozzie Battler ( dollar ) will the hike be a whole 0.25 % ( or gasp ) even 0.4% and even out the weird rate

just been talking to a business owner ( in a capital city business ) and business was down the previous quarter , but suitable staff is still his major problem ( moreso than rising costs , etc. )

just saying ... but it is fairly rare for the RBA to raise on Melbourne Cup Day

if it does to save the Ozzie Battler ( dollar ) will the hike be a whole 0.25 % ( or gasp ) even 0.4% and even out the weird rate

just been talking to a business owner ( in a capital city business ) and business was down the previous quarter , but suitable staff is still his major problem ( moreso than rising costs , etc. )
Hmmm interesting to hear you say "it is fairly rare for RBA to raise on Melb. Cup Day" as got me thinking/tempted to consider juicy odds of $2.88 then as a potential "good bet" lol

My punt is that rates have to go higher.
yes i agree , but is there an election in the wind to make a near-term hike unpalatable ?

a hike in November would be unusual , but are the RBA desperate to shock the economy , the RBA isn't as trapped as some of it's international peers , it has a little wriggle-room ... so far

of course there is a second option ... the the truth on real inflation and hang on tight

( hey we have been fudging the data for over 30 years , but you can trust us , now )