Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

Todays RBA decision to leave rates where they are, may have been the trigger for the AUD USD pair to fall 0.5%.
With oil creeping up again to high 80's in USD terms, there is now a possibility that OZ will now start to import inflation due to falling currency perturbations.
Fuel prices will continue to hope which will feed into transport costs,
The big question is, do we go into a recession, into a deflationary spiral, or a period of stagflation?
Mick
i hear a couple of seasoned commentators talking depression and drawing parallels with the 1920s

but with recent definition changes to silly words like recession , who knows what name they will call it ( am just glad they aren't piloting a REAL airplane )

Todays RBA decision to leave rates where they are, may have been the trigger for the AUD USD pair to fall 0.5%.
With oil creeping up again to high 80's in USD terms, there is now a possibility that OZ will now start to import inflation due to falling currency perturbations.
Fuel prices will continue to increase which will feed into transport costs,
The big question is, do we go into a recession, into a deflationary spiral, or a period of stagflation?
Mick
Just look at immigration levels and infer everything from there.

The country will go to hell in a handbasket but the headline numbers will look good. Economic growth but all of it concentrated in the hands of a tiny few so they can still say hurr durr economy is growing despite nobody in the bottom 98% actually seeing any of those gains.

Just look at immigration levels and infer everything from there.

The country will go to hell in a handbasket but the headline numbers will look good. Economic growth but all of it concentrated in the hands of a tiny few so they can still say hurr durr economy is growing despite nobody in the bottom 98% actually seeing any of those gains.
that seems to be the plan , add in the trend towards AI and automation and one would wonder if this is ineptness

Dear, dear me. Seems reality is gradually hitting home owners but it's not only home owners. Business premises will also be impacted. It's not a sintilating subject until it becomes so. The necessity of reinsurers is not well understood by many. Without it almost everything fails; workers compensation, car insurance, public liability insurance to name a few.

Dear, dear me. Seems reality is gradually hitting home owners but it's not only home owners. Business premises will also be impacted. It's not a sintilating subject until it becomes so. The necessity of reinsurers is not well understood by many. Without it almost everything fails; workers compensation, car insurance, public liability insurance to name a few.

Just got my health insurance notice in the mail too - up 6%.

Not to forget that we also have a busy follow-up to tonight's CPI as well. Tomorrow's also busy:
- Australian unemployment (11:30am AEDT)
- ECB interest rate decision (10:15pm AEDT)
- US inflation follow-up readings (PPI and retail sales - 10:30pm AEDT)

63573576.jpg

Remember me saying how all the travel, events, theme parks etc bonanza post-covid would fall over in the same way the demand for physical goods like tv's, furniture etc would once the world reopened?