Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

Where to park cash? Like, a lot of cash? ?
2435643564356456.jpg2345624563425634564356.jpg

4.28 equivalent annual rate plus whatever you gain from the currency movement is pretty good.

I'd actually be kind of tempted to park a bit in NZD too as NZ relies massively on tourism and tourism is a superior good so it's first to be cut from the shopping list when money gets tight, ergo the NZD is likely to be pummeled even more than the AUD. It also has an excellent interest rate for your savings near twice the alternatives. It'd give you a nice hedge for a pretty cheap holiday if nothing else.

If my prediction is correct then flights, hotel rooms etc there will end up very cheap too even ignoring the currency dumping ;)

View attachment 160710View attachment 160711

4.28 equivalent annual rate plus whatever you gain from the currency movement is pretty good.

I'd actually be kind of tempted to park a bit in NZD too as NZ relies massively on tourism and tourism is a superior good so it's first to be cut from the shopping list when money gets tight, ergo the NZD is likely to be pummeled even more than the AUD. It also has an excellent interest rate for your savings near twice the alternatives. It'd give you a nice hedge for a pretty cheap holiday if nothing else.

If my prediction is correct then flights, hotel rooms etc there will end up very cheap too even ignoring the currency dumping ;)
Interestingly HSBC is where I have most of it... Just a bit freaking nervous about banks in general though.

Interestingly HSBC is where I have most of it... Just a bit freaking nervous about banks in general though.
Depends how much cash you're actually talking about wayne - there's a government guarantee on 250k in all financial institutions. You could break a mil up between four banks if you were really really worried.

This would be a great piece to get an undergrad econ class to watch and analyse, ask them what he's talking about, what he's identifying etc etc.

Meanwhile:

3245236425624564256324565432.jpg

As I said previously, we had a little slump in the oil price and these numbers are always trailing so I reckon the data will come back pretty good (relatively) this time and perhaps one more bunch will come out better than expected next month before we start to see more bad stuff start to hit again now that the oil price has rebounded.

Bought an item from Bunnings, $9.32

Bought the exact same item, same brand and size, 5 years ago also from Bunnings. Price back then = $6.15

OK so that's a minor item but as we've seen with the collapse of now countless builders, we're in a world where "just in time" approaches to inventory are a good way to end up in trouble. Buying as much up front as possible is lower risk. :2twocents

Bought the exact same item, same brand and size, 5 years ago also from Bunnings. Price back then = $6.15

OK so that's a minor item but as we've seen with the collapse of now countless builders, we're in a world where "just in time" approaches to inventory are a good way to end up in trouble. Buying as much up front as possible is lower risk. :2twocents
Hearing that a lot of stuff is just supply issues at the moment too. Can't get the materials = can't start work, even if you pay through the nose for whatever tradies you need.

Hmmm Cheaper prices are just the beginning!!!!

So all the growth plays (basically everything in fact but the growth plays in particular) opened deep into the green (NDX was up ~1.6 at peak) right from the open and have just melted all session and as of 1.22 are looking like they're going to end up negative in about an hour and wouldn't you know it, fixed income is now doing this:

345637356734567.jpg

Markets seem to be starting to realise ;)

3245642564325643256.jpg

Hence the "stickyness" of inflation.

And then this immediately followed:

2436324563245634564536.jpg

He then went on to point out that the rally of this year has been the "most concentrated ever" where "the magnificent seven" (seven huge tech companies) accounted for about 2/3 to 3/4 of the entire rally.

Dude isn't wrong.