Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

But house prices go up with inflation? Max confuse
not necessarily , yes costs of materials and wages go up, but sometimes quality and corners are cut to take the sting out of the inflation

so the price might stay low , but the quality plummets

the other cause of low house prices are forced sales ( ie foreclosures where the lender tries to minimize losses )

A curious stat for Aus is that 1 in 4 properties sold is being bought with "cash", ie, no loan.
With that ratio, it would appear that the housing sector is probably in a pretty good place in comparison to other countries.
(1:4 ratio read in some article, can't remember where)

A curious stat for Aus is that 1 in 4 properties sold is being bought with "cash", ie, no loan.
With that ratio, it would appear that the housing sector is probably in a pretty good place in comparison to other countries.
Need more info on this before concluding anything rock, e.g which houses, by which people, so on and so forth.

A lot of boomers selling a 3 bedroom crack den in sydney and moving to an 83 room palace up/down the coast perhaps?

I'm interested to hear why the US/Aus would stay out of recession
U.S because of a lot of actual real economic strengths, aus because of the almost de facto erasure of borders resulting in the highest per-capita immigration levels in the world.

But remember that GDP is just the total amount of money, not its distribution. If the population grew proportionately more than the pie did then we're all actually worse off aren't we?

And that's before we even start on pies which are bigger on account of only the top 1% of slices getting larger...

Smurf 9% seems a pretty hefty life on the previous year. I guess that includes rubbish pick up and fire levy
Yes includes rubbish etc.

In SA however there's a separate levy for emergency services, the bluntly named Emergency Services Levy, which is a tax as such. Here's our bill now pay it Sir.... That's separate to council rates and is a state government charge. I've no idea if that's going up or not, time will tell.

Note the ESL doesn't cover ambulances however, those being user pays in all states except Queensland and Tasmania where government funds them from general taxation. :2twocents

45643576347356756375637567567567.jpg

There's actually a lot to glean from this. I've gotta get to bed but if everyone care to take a guess I'll come back to it once I'm up and tell everyone what's what ;)

well with the nervousness of lenders some 'sales' involving a mortgage can take some time ( if it proceeds at all )

i wonder what happens when the 'cash' runs out

NZ with surprise increase to unemployment, now 3.6%
Interesting to watch as RBNZ seems to have been leading the CB cohort with rate hikes.

View attachment 160433
Surprise?
Given that its been rising since jan 2022, albeit in small increments, I would not call it surprising.
The latest increment is probably higher than the last four though.
Be interesting to see net quarter whether that upward increse is sustained or even greater.
Mick

Surprise?
Given that its been rising since jan 2022, albeit in small increments, I would not call it surprising.
The latest increment is probably higher than the last four though.
Be interesting to see net quarter whether that upward increse is sustained or even greater.
Mick

Even the recent data point is low.

The current narrative RE: soft landing, is dependent on unemployment remaining low - as has been the case in the US and Aus.
This is data showing that despite unemployment being low for so long, it is continuing to trend upwards and hints at possibly invalidating the soft landing narrative. Particularly so given manufacturing indices for the US remain contractionary...

Even the recent data point is low.

The current narrative RE: soft landing, is dependent on unemployment remaining low - as has been the case in the US and Aus.
This is data showing that despite unemployment being low for so long, it is continuing to trend upwards and hints at possibly invalidating the soft landing narrative. Particularly so given manufacturing indices for the US remain contractionary...
NZ does not have a terrible big manufacturing sector , only about 12% of GDP according to NZ govt ,
TheIr unemployment will mainly come from serivces sector, tourism, is a big one.
With the Labour party very much on the nose in NZ, most are expecting a change in govt to the Nationals (see Murdoch Press ), one might logically expect a contraction in the bloated NZ public service.
According to NZ Govt Workforce Data , 18.7% of the workforce is in the public service.
That is a lot of fat cats to feed, and a perfect target for a conservative government to hit early on.
Mick