Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Full CY 2024 Stock Tipping Competition

my true love said to me.....and a Partridge in a pear tree 🎶

What's the next update DF ?

If people leave their entries too late, some stocks will become invalid due to not have traded enough to satisfy the "greater than or equal to" $100k for the 5 trading days prior to entry rule purely due to seasonal reasons.

I think there will be quite a few that will enter over this weekend before Christmas as there should be plenty that will qualify re the $100,000 Value Traded in the previous 5 trading days rather than next weekend where as you say, some will struggle with the really quite days between Xmas and New Year included. I know I should have a bit of time over this weekend, fingers crossed.

So don't forget to enter everyone. Read Opening Post for details or here's a quick recap below.

** Prize Money - 1st - $500 ..... 2nd - $250 ..... 3rd - $150 ..... Last - $100

Rules:
* Select 4 ASX list Stocks
* Must be $0.10 or more on day of entry.
* Must have traded at least $100,000 in Value in the 5 trading days prior to entry.
* Post in the thread of each of your entries detailing why you think the share price of each will increase in 2024.
* At or towards the end of each month post an update in the thread of each of your 4 competition entries with an update.

Such as:
If your reason for picking them still exists or, just a general update on how they are going or, if they pay a Dividend or, if the stock is taken over.
I will remind everyone here in this thread each month but it's up to you to stay qualified for the cash prizes.

That's the main ones to get you started and in the Comp.

Have a good night Folks.

I think there will be quite a few that will enter over this weekend before Christmas as there should be plenty that will qualify re the $100,000 Value Traded in the previous 5 trading days rather than next weekend where as you say, some will struggle with the really quite days between Xmas and New Year included. I know I should have a bit of time over this weekend, fingers crossed.

So don't forget to enter everyone. Read Opening Post for details or here's a quick recap below.

** Prize Money - 1st - $500 ..... 2nd - $250 ..... 3rd - $150 ..... Last - $100

Rules:
* Select 4 ASX list Stocks
* Must be $0.10 or more on day of entry.
* Must have traded at least $100,000 in Value in the 5 trading days prior to entry.
* Post in the thread of each of your entries detailing why you think the share price of each will increase in 2024.
* At or towards the end of each month post an update in the thread of each of your 4 competition entries with an update.

Such as:
If your reason for picking them still exists or, just a general update on how they are going or, if they pay a Dividend or, if the stock is taken over.
I will remind everyone here in this thread each month but it's up to you to stay qualified for the cash prizes.

That's the main ones to get you started and in the Comp.

Have a good night Folks.

Yes, still a week or so and I'm still trying to work out a tactic for next year for this type of test.

Picking individual low cap spec stocks if fraught with danger. Could be a huge winner, or a huge loser. This years' results look like a loser tactic, except for Miner's late entry. Just one spec could win the game.

Hmmm.

Yes, still a week or so and I'm still trying to work out a tactic for next year for this type of test.

Picking individual low cap spec stocks if fraught with danger. Could be a huge winner, or a huge loser. This years' results look like a loser tactic, except for Miner's late entry. Just one spec could win the game.

Hmmm.

There are plenty of Stocks in the All Ords that gave good returns for the last year. Not sure if any were additions to the XAO sometime during the year, I haven't looked.

Screenshot 2023-12-20 221846.jpg

Just a thought,

Could we put a portfolio into the mix that’s just made up of 50% VAS and 50% VGS, just as kind of a benchmark to see how the group is performing against those two indexes.

I think it adds a layer to experiment.
@Sean K the index entrant can be like the tubby warrant officer during a BFA that no body wants the embarrassment of finishing behind, hahaha.

Just a thought,

Could we put a portfolio into the mix that’s just made up of 50% VAS and 50% VGS, just as kind of a benchmark to see how the group is performing against those two indexes.

@Sean K the index entrant can be like the tubby warrant officer during a BFA that no body wants the embarrassment of finishing behind, hahaha.
while i have no opposition to your suggestion , i delight being well behind the indexes , because i am probably buying my discounted selections ( just like i did today )

Just a thought,

by the way @KevinBB was doing that with IOZ in the monthly comp. for a while

Welcome to the Full CY 2024 Stock Tipping Competition everyone!

I am starting this thread now so everyone can start thinking about their entries and those who would like to enter now can do so.
I'm willing to keep tabs again of all Tipster's results as best I can for 2024 but if someone else has better ideas or just wants to give it a go, please say so .... I won't be offended.

2023 was a rough year for most and returns were lower than most expected. Let's see how good the tipsters go in 2024.
Talking about 2023 I must once again thank @Sean K for his generous $1,000 donation to the Full CY 2023 year competition winner. :xyxthumbs

Now let's see how good the tipsters go in 2024.

Fortunately we do have @Sean K as our sponsor again in 2024, with an overall prize pool of $1,000. Thank you @Sean K, much appreciated. :xyxthumbs

The cash prizes are below:

1st - $500
2nd - $250
3rd - $150
Last - $100

** Just a reminder that no changes of entries are allowed during the year, so please choose carefully and with a 12 month time frame in mind. All stocks selected must be $0.10 or more at the time of entry.

The rules for the Full CY 2024 Stock Tipping Competition are as follows:
  • Each entrant must select four ASX listed stocks.
  • No stocks that are trading at less than $0.10 on the day of entry may be entered.
  • A stock must have traded at least $100,000 in value in the five trading days prior to entry to be eligible.
  • To qualify for the competition and prizes you must:
    • post in the thread of each of your entries detailing why you think the share price of each will increase in 2024.
    • at the end of each month post an update in the thread of each of your competition entries with an update such as: if your reason for picking them still exists or just a general update on how they are going.
  • If a stock is taken over it can be replaced. The exit price shall be taken to be the takeover price. The new stock must be nominated before the date the taken over stock ceases trading and the entry price of the new stock shall be taken to be the closing price on the day the taken over stock ceases trading.
  • The competition will run from Tuesday, 2 January 2024 to Tuesday, 31 December 2024.
  • Entry prices will be the price at the close of trading on Friday, 29 December 2023.
Entries are now open. Please enter at your convenience by posting your entries in this thread.

Entries will be taken up to Midnight on 1 Jan 2024 since Monday is a public holiday.

If you have any comments, feedback, or questions, please post them in this thread.

Thanks and good luck!
Just a clarification and excuse if it has been clarified on another thread.

• A stock must have traded at least $100,000 in value in the five trading days prior to entry to be eligible.

So a stock that traded an average of $20,000 on each of the five days would be eligible, i.e. you mean the total trading value over 5 days was $100,000 or a stock that hit an average or more of $100,000 averaged over the prior 5 days e.g $15,000 + $150,000 + $20,000 + $200,000 + $300,000

OR

A stock that traded $100,000 or more on each of the five days prior to the competition

OR

A stock that traded ... $0, $0, $0, $500,000, $0. over the five days prior to the entry.

Maybe a little more clarification.

My apologies. @debtfree and @Sean K , I have spent over 45 years surrounded by lawyers here at the hotel and we seem to be reproducing lawyers, so I've learnt to be careful. Time was one could order a 7oz of cold beer that stayed cold and everyone understood, now they have newfangled measures such as schooners and pints imported up here from people who can't tell the time in summer, but you don't want to hear my problems.

gg

Just a clarification and excuse if it has been clarified on another thread.

So a stock that traded an average of $20,000 on each of the five days would be eligible, i.e. you mean the total trading value over 5 days was $100,000 or a stock that hit an average or more of $100,000 averaged over the prior 5 days e.g $15,000 + $150,000 + $20,000 + $200,000 + $300,000

OR

A stock that traded $100,000 or more on each of the five days prior to the competition

OR

A stock that traded ... $0, $0, $0, $500,000, $0. over the five days prior to the entry.

Maybe a little more clarification.

My apologies. @debtfree and @Sean K , I have spent over 45 years surrounded by lawyers here at the hotel and we seem to be reproducing lawyers, so I've learnt to be careful. Time was one could order a 7oz of cold beer that stayed cold and everyone understood, now they have newfangled measures such as schooners and pints imported up here from people who can't tell the time in summer, but you don't want to hear my problems.

gg
Good Morning @Garpal Gumnut

I know I have my own thoughts but as I wanted to keep @Joe Blow's CY Year Comp going for ASF I used Joe's rules. So I will let him answer your question so we are all on the same page as to his thoughts on this rule.

Thanks for your post on this Rule.

OK, just to make sure I'm a chance to be in my money:

KNG
PDI
SVM
WAF

I therefore expect that the met on Leliyn is crap, PDI will not get a mining license, RIO will back out of SVM and there'll be another coup in Burkina Faso.

This is the correct interpretation of that particular rule.

Ok, This year I expect there to be a downturn due to recession, so I am going defensive.
WOW
ANZ
PDI
and lastly, a roughie.
BRN
Mick

PDI is "defensive"? LOL, Mick. It's an exploration company in a monkey park surrounded by Jihadists. But, I do think it's going to the moon next year. Hopefully not like CTM that went to the centre of the Earth this year.

This is the correct interpretation of that particular rule.

Hi @Joe Blow
I'm still confused, is it the blue or the red?

Hi @Joe Blow
I'm still confused, is it the blue or the red?

$100,000 in value traded in the last five days. How much is traded on each day is irrelevant as long as $100,000 in value is traded in the five day period.