Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Full CY 2024 Stock Tipping Competition

Looking forward to these selections @Knobby22, don't forget to put in your reasons in each thread why you think the share price will increase in 2024. Should be an interesting read.
????

when i am likely to pick 5700 for the XAO comp. this year ??

am hoping to be further from the cellar than most ( no matter how red my tally looks )

if i wanted to win i would probably pick QQQ , BBUS BEAR and BBOZ ( hero or zero theory )

...and I just have. Rather onerous, this condition:
  • at the end of each month post an update in the thread of each of your competition entries with an update such as: if your reason for picking them still exists or just a general update on how they are going.
Aren't we allowed to take holidays? Just checked and this condition didn't apply for CY 2023 ... although I think some form of revisit is a good idea.
Good afternoon
If rcw1 may be so bold as to make a suggestion ....
Brace yourselves ... ha ha ha ha ha

Could become onerous monthly with four stocks with say 20 odd participants, plus the normal monthly one which rcw1 does forget to do ... from time to time even with a reminder .... perhaps it could be considered 1/4erly like companies publish their 1/4erly report ... and we could too with our stocks.

Just asking...

Appreciate all the work that goes into this and the kind donations by Sean K.

Have a safe and happy Christmas.

Kind regards
rcw1

Good afternoon
If rcw1 may be so bold as to make a suggestion ....
Brace yourselves ... ha ha ha ha ha

Could become onerous monthly with four stocks with say 20 odd participants, plus the normal monthly one which rcw1 does forget to do ... from time to time even with a reminder .... perhaps it could be considered 1/4erly like companies publish their 1/4erly report ... and we could too with our stocks.

Just asking...

Appreciate all the work that goes into this and the kind donations by Sean K.

Have a safe and happy Christmas.

Kind regards
rcw1

- .... . / ... .. .-.. . -. -.-. . / .. ... / --. --- .-.. -.. . -.​

Kind regards
rcw1

yeah, but what seems like a good idea in December may be cringworthy and better forgotten further on into 2024.

Oh the embarrassment, perhaps.
Thanks for your thoughts DF and others for looking out for problems that might arise moving forward :xyxthumbs. If they do arise I wouldn't call it embarrassment, I would call it disappointment.

Embarrassment would be to sit and do nothing to help ASF survive. Unfortunately it needs a lot more posts than what it gets to exists long term, that is a fact!
I've seen Incredible Charts Forum and The Chartist Forum disappear and all the info on them completely lost, so I'm doing what I can to help ASF survive. Others have helped me so much, my time to give back.
There is so much good info on the ASF website from so many good posters (some even deceased) so to lose that would be, very disappointing.

Just a few examples of @Joe Blow's Monthly Comp threads that were not posted on and supported by members and that included me.
Money thrown at us and we didn't want to do anything for ASF or Joe. I know Joe was disappointed and looking back on it, I was embarrassed.

https://www.aussiestockforums.com/threads/march-2017-stock-competition-entries.32968/
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/threads/april-2017-stock-competition-entries.33061/
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/threads/may-2017-stock-competition-entries.33126/
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/threads/june-2017-stock-competition-entries.33198/
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/threads/july-2017-stock-competition-entries.33272/
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/threads/august-2017-stock-competition-entries.33330/

I had to do something and now below we can see the difference, it's been a lot of time and effort. We get the cash that Joe throws at us and he (ASF) get the posts in return.

Screenshot 2023-12-18 115249.png

That's pretty good since the Comps only go for a month and the figures above are for 3 month period. Our Monthly Comp Threads are always up near the top now and I must thank all the contributors to these threads. There was resistance at posting in the stock threads in the Monthly Comps at first but we have moved past that now which is good for ASF as we can see above.

We have to do the same for the CY 2024 Comp, get behind saving ASF and posts in the threads. Individual ASF members over the last few years have been throwing cash in for the CY Competitions and all they want is for you to support Joe and ASF. The only way you can do that is with more post.

Sure, there is a lot of members like @Dona Ferentes who have posted unbelievable numbers of posts so I know he'll have no trouble with 4 post a month, @rcw1 can do it as we can see above with his 2023 Melbourne Cup thread. He posted 13 posts on the 6th Nov and 20 posts on the 7th Nov. @Ferret posted 4 posts on the 8th Dec, 5 on the 6th Dec, 2 on the 1st Dec so I know he can do it as well.

I'm not asking for it all on the last day of the month after the close of business. Towards the end of the month is OK, even 1 per day over the last week of the month.
Give back to ASF, Joe and our Sponsors, that's all we ask. Post to Save ASF.

Sorry about the long winded post but it was important to explain and at the same time save ASF, Sponsor and Yearly Comp.

Can we pick ETF's on the ASX, @debtfree ? I'm thinking of thematic lower risk picks for 2024.
i was aware of that , but chose what i did for some possible capital growth ( in two ) and most reverse index rarely pay divs

but what is 'safe'

early in the last decade i was buying CCL ( taken over ) API ( taken-over ) ONT ( taken-over ) SIG ( will probably be taken over ) it is very hard to pick a solid company that will survive the take-over frenzy ( they even took-over ASW for goodness sake )

i was aware of that , but chose what i did for some possible capital growth ( in two ) and most reverse index rarely pay divs

but what is 'safe'

early in the last decade i was buying CCL ( taken over ) API ( taken-over ) ONT ( taken-over ) SIG ( will probably be taken over ) it is very hard to pick a solid company that will survive the take-over frenzy ( they even took-over ASW for goodness sake )

The risk with individual stocks is one or two specs killing you. That is the case with a cursory glance at the leader board for this FY. I think I might go thematic ETFs that will not lose in 2024. Maybe a death tax ETF?

that is why i made the tongue cheek , four reverse index fund post , imo a full year is too long to hold a reverse index ETF

from holding SYI for about a decade it has been fairly good at picking take-over targets , maybe they can do that again this year

too much doubtful data for my liking , so i went for frequent div. payers and hope for a little capital gain as well

4 greens at the end would be a big improvement for me ( i normally hoe they go down so i can bulk up the holdings )

Good evening @debtfree

Bloody Nora... wasn't aware of that popular content stuff... where do you find that ??? Nice. So that Melbourne Cup thread come 3rd with a kick off date on 6 November !!! How good is that for a hit and run shot at something new. rcw1 got a big head now ha ha ha ha ha ha

Have a very nice night.

Kind regards
rcw1

Good evening @debtfree

Bloody Nora... wasn't aware of that popular content stuff... where do you find that ??? Nice. So that Melbourne Cup thread come 3rd with a kick off date on 6 November !!! How good is that for a hit and run shot at something new. rcw1 got a big head now ha ha ha ha ha ha

Have a very nice night.

Kind regards
rcw1

Click onto Forums Tab - Then under that, click onto Popular Content.

Screenshot 2023-12-19 071532.png

Now Click onto what field of Popular Content you want to view then click onto the Time Frame you want.
We now see how many Views we get, the Monthly Comps are always up or near the top nowadays. @Joe Blow's Monthly Entry Threads are up there as well. Most of the time those 6 threads dominate the Replies and the Views. There is certainly interest, isn't there.
** Even No:12 mate, Posts and Views prove it was a great idea to create some interest on ASF, so well done!

Screenshot 2023-12-19 071152.png

29M, RED, RRL, URNM

I'm anticipating another year of trading within this large range. We could dip to halfway if the US tanks next year but nothing too bad for us. Very frustrating for traders though. I want to be in commodities as demand should improve. I'm sticking with copper (29M), gold (RRL, RED) and uranium URNM.

Livewire has provided a pdf to download of Bell Potter's stock picks for cal 2024 for perusal.
A few stocks that get some discussion on ASF are included, e.g. IPG, AX1, BOE, DXS, STX, RRL ..

A couple of years ago I made a note of their picks and the then current prices and then compared them at the end of the year. Results not impressive and probably similar to GG's dart picks. Worrying part is there are a few on the list that I own and would pick if I entered.

A couple of years ago I made a note of their picks and the then current prices and then compared them at the end of the year. Results not impressive and probably similar to GG's dart picks. Worrying part is there are a few on the list that I own and would pick if I entered.

I think you're undermining the quality of the RIH dart throwers there.

Eight trading days PLUS eight holidays till entries must be in for CY24 competition.
my true love said to me.....and a Partridge in a pear tree 🎶

What's the next update DF ?

If people leave their entries too late, some stocks will become invalid due to not have traded enough to satisfy the "greater than or equal to" $100k for the 5 trading days prior to entry rule purely due to seasonal reasons.

my true love said to me.....and a Partridge in a pear tree 🎶

What's the next update DF ?

If people leave their entries too late, some stocks will become invalid due to not have traded enough to satisfy the "greater than or equal to" $100k for the 5 trading days prior to entry rule purely due to seasonal reasons.
confusing me with df ? but it's tricky. being a quiet time of year. even 'bots have time off. It is surprising how much depth some stocks have.

the 10c minimum is a good screen.