Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Northern Star ( a gold miner ) has a very large deposit that it has chosen not to develop

QLD has deposits that could be developed or expanded

if certain states need to import coal from an international mines

one must ask questions about various government policies

What we have to keep in perspective is, while we talk about our move to a hydrogen economy, we are starting to import coal.
If all this green economy fails, we are going to be caught swimming naked. Lol
I do hold FMG and I do hope it all works out, but if it doesnt, well I only have to put up with a maximum of 20 years of the down side.
The good part about the hydrogen projects is that it includes building a lot of wind and solar, so if hydrogen fails it will be the death nail for coal, because all that wind and solar will turn towards the grid.

i haven't seen reports in Australia importing coal , however i note the QLD government stalling/delaying approvals for Acland 3 ( NHC extension ) , the almost absence of Adani news

now NST had discovered a Maules Creek-size deposit but has decided to stick to gold mining ( not even talk about a farm-out on the resource )

i also remember Victoria making it difficult to develop low grade deposits about 5 years back

i would have thought the remaining QLD coal projects would have been enough to supply all of Australia's needs for at least 10 years ( and NSW has plenty of coal to sell as NHC and WHC clearly show )

AND i would have thought the idealistic move across Australia to move away from coal-fired power-plants demand for coal inside Australia would shrink , so would Australia import inferior cheap coal , in preference to the local product ??

i would also would have expected the unions ( specifically the CFMEU ) to raise a fuss if they became aware of such imports

however is it happening , or is there a plan to import coal to Australia ( given we have a wide range of coal qualities , unlike say , parts of Europe )

Any links to articles about Australian coal imports?
From the article: 3 October 2022
But the minister says the pause in generation means that “coal that would ordinarily be burned in October, November and December is available to us in January and February.”

Johnston says the WA government has granted diversified mining and manufacturing company South32 access to the state’s port of Bunbury to import coal from Indonesia to run its Worsley alumina plant. In the past, South32 has sourced its coal domestically.

But the minister says the pause in generation means that “coal that would ordinarily be burned in October, November and December is available to us in January and February.”

Johnston says the WA government has granted diversified mining and manufacturing company South32 access to the state’s port of Bunbury to import coal from Indonesia to run its Worsley alumina plant. In the past, South32 has sourced its coal domestically.
cheers

i missed that release

one might ask why not from other states in Australia , but since it seems S32 ( i hold ) is importing are they using former subsidiaries in Africa , that they had some sort of agreement with

it still seems strange that with at least 3 Australian states with coal mines producing WA needs to import from overseas

does SA still mine coal ??

So it’s just a local short term interruption in WA, not a Net importation situation for the country.

one might ask why not from other states in Australia , but since it seems S32 ( i hold ) is importing are they using former subsidiaries in Africa , that they had some sort of agreement with

it still seems strange that with at least 3 Australian states with coal mines producing WA needs to import from overseas

does SA still mine coal ??
The Australian producers probably already have contracts to supply their coal to others, Also it might be cheaper to transport from Asia, there are already plenty of bulk carriers heading down the WA coast empty to pick up iron ore, loading some coal from Asia would be cheap.

The Australian producers probably already have contracts to supply their coal to others, Also it might be cheaper to transport from Asia, there are already plenty of bulk carriers heading down the WA coast empty to pick up iron ore, loading some coal from Asia would be cheap.
still has bad optics , just like importing petrol and diesel from overseas refineries

FMG have uploaded the AGM report . Interesting and useful. Couple of new projects I hadn't yet heard about. Check the Kenyan connection.

icon-pdf.png
Company Presentation (PDF 14,093.6 KB)

FMG have uploaded the AGM report . Interesting and useful. Couple of new projects I hadn't yet heard about. Check the Kenyan connection.

View attachment 149586 Company Presentation (PDF 14,093.6 KB)
They made an interesting choice on slide 12 to label King Charles as " The British King" :laugh:, did the person putting the slides together forget that King Charles is also King of Australia.

For those of us of a charting nature there is a very nice channel forming on FMG.

A good entry may be possible around the $14 mark which seems to be a support level for FMG.

This could occur just about Xmas school holiday time when the idiot cousins are left in charge of the brokerages and fund houses while the market makers are wondering why they bought that house in boring Noosa Heads and paying $6 for a packet of Tim Tams at the local Woolies.

DYOR on the price of Tim Tams.

FMG.png

gg

Garpal's FMG chart looks a bit like a colon, which reminded me, have any posters on this FMG thread tried this great product?

images (1).jpeg

Garpal's FMG chart looks a bit like a colon, which reminded me, have any posters on this FMG thread tried this great product?

View attachment 149625
Mate,

I picked up a Colonoscope (used) on Gumtree.

If you drop in to the pub on Sunday morning I'll check you out and see if it is suitable.

There will be an audience.

gg

Mate,

I picked up a Colonoscope (used) on Gumtree.

If you drop in to the pub on Sunday morning I'll check you out and see if it is suitable.

There will be an audience.

gg
That is SO good of you GG. Are you selling tickets or will this be a free event ? Will Twiggy be invited to inspect the 'scope and ensure it is suitable for FMG promotion ? Are you considering live streaming the event (with a Twiggy introduction of course..)

View attachment 149625

Why buy expensive processed resistant starch when you can "make" it at home by simply cooking some potatoes/rice/pasta and putting them in the fridge?

hi @Garpal Gumnut, hope you are enjoying the thread.