• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters

A fleet of Australian-made electric vehicles will service supermarket stores across western Sydney amid a push to revitalise motor manufacturing in Australia.

Nine electric utes developed and manufactured in the city’s west by Queensland-based ACE-EV Group will operate trolley pick-up at Woolworth’s stores.

The utes were first announced in May and are expected to collect up to 1000 trolleys a day from carpark collection bays and surrounding streets.

While manufactured in western Sydney, the utes are reportedly assembled overseas. Among their features is a warning light for pedestrians.

A fleet of Australian-made electric vehicles will service supermarket stores across western Sydney amid a push to revitalise motor manufacturing in Australia.

Nine electric utes developed and manufactured in the city’s west by Queensland-based ACE-EV Group will operate trolley pick-up at Woolworth’s stores.

The utes were first announced in May and are expected to collect up to 1000 trolleys a day from carpark collection bays and surrounding streets.

While manufactured in western Sydney, the utes are reportedly assembled overseas. Among their features is a warning light for pedestrians.
and such vehicles should have been in service for at least a decade , lead-acid batteries have been up to the task for at least a decade , any battery improvement is merely a bonus

AND could have been assembled in Australia ( we can assemble buses here , so why not a smattering of 'utes ' )

BYD are certainly flooding the EV space with new models.

The 2025 BYD Sealion 7 electric SUV has been photographed in Australia – wearing mild disguise – ahead of a possible showroom arrival by the end of 2024, pending any delays.
The Sealion 7 is a mid-size electric SUV designed to rival the Tesla Model Y and Kia EV6/EV5
Measuring 4830mm long, 1925mm wide and 1620mm tall, on a 2930mm wheelbase, it is 80mm longer nose to tail, 3mm wider, 4mm lower and 40mm longer between the wheels than a Tesla Model Y.
Powering the Sealion 7 is a choice of 71.8kWh or 80.6kWh battery packs, matched with single or dual electric motors developing up to 390kW for a claimed 0-100km/h acceleration time of 4.2 seconds.
The all-wheel-drive variant claims up of 550km of driving range in Chinese CLTC testing – which is more lenient than the WLTP standard common in Australia and Europe – or up to 610km of a long-range, rear-wheel-drive variant with 230kW.

BYD are certainly flooding the EV space with new models.

The 2025 BYD Sealion 7 electric SUV has been photographed in Australia – wearing mild disguise – ahead of a possible showroom arrival by the end of 2024, pending any delays.
The Sealion 7 is a mid-size electric SUV designed to rival the Tesla Model Y and Kia EV6/EV5
Measuring 4830mm long, 1925mm wide and 1620mm tall, on a 2930mm wheelbase, it is 80mm longer nose to tail, 3mm wider, 4mm lower and 40mm longer between the wheels than a Tesla Model Y.
Powering the Sealion 7 is a choice of 71.8kWh or 80.6kWh battery packs, matched with single or dual electric motors developing up to 390kW for a claimed 0-100km/h acceleration time of 4.2 seconds.
The all-wheel-drive variant claims up of 550km of driving range in Chinese CLTC testing – which is more lenient than the WLTP standard common in Australia and Europe – or up to 610km of a long-range, rear-wheel-drive variant with 230kW.
i have mixed emotions on that Chinese EVs flooding the market

i still don't believe EVs should be the dominant vehicle ( yet ) but i hold APE which has a BYD distributor agreement ( so i win if BYD is very successful )

i have mixed emotions on that Chinese EVs flooding the market

i still don't believe EVs should be the dominant vehicle ( yet ) but i hold APE which has a BYD distributor agreement ( so i win if BYD is very successful )
I think Toyota are probably close to the mark, when they expect EV's to make up 30% of the Australian market, it will be interesting to see how it pans out.
I guess a lot will depend on how the Govt penalises ICE vehicles, to force the uptake of EV's.
At the moment I think the Govt has enough on its plate with the grid transition, to not want to complicate it further with high EV penetration.:2twocents

I think Toyota are probably close to the mark, when they expect EV's to make up 30% of the Australian market, it will be interesting to see how it pans out.
I guess a lot will depend on how the Govt penalises ICE vehicles, to force the uptake of EV's.
At the moment I think the Govt has enough on its plate with the grid transition, to not want to complicate it further with high EV penetration.:2twocents
Regardless of what the Government sticks on what with penalties, it will depend entirely on what vehicles the auto makers decide to put out in RHD.
If the makers say we get EV's that is all we get.
If they want to dump the ICE's they can't sell elsewhere in RHD form, that is what we will get.
We really have little say in the matter as we don't produce anything here in OZ.
Mick

Regardless of what the Government sticks on what with penalties, it will depend entirely on what vehicles the auto makers decide to put out in RHD.
If the makers say we get EV's that is all we get.
If they want to dump the ICE's they can't sell elsewhere in RHD form, that is what we will get.
We really have little say in the matter as we don't produce anything here in OZ.
Mick
That's very true, I was more talking about if the status quo remains, where the manufacturers will supply whatever the market wants.

It is more likely punitive Government taxing that will affect consumer demand and manufacturer supply, more that the manufacturers refusing to send ICE cars, they will send whatever they can sell IMO.

That's very true, I was more talking about if the status quo remains, where the manufacturers will supply whatever the market wants.

It is more likely punitive Government taxing that will affect consumer demand and manufacturer supply, more that the manufacturers refusing to send ICE cars, they will send whatever they can sell IMO.
I would suggest that the manufacturers main aim is to make money.
Supplying the market what the market wants may be one way to satisfy that aim, but not the only one, and is certainly not preclusive.
Mick

I would suggest that the manufacturers main aim is to make money.
Supplying the market what the market wants may be one way to satisfy that aim, but not the only one, and is certainly not preclusive.
Mick
On a personal note Mick, are you over the moon with the EV and joined the never look back brigade?

On a personal note Mick, are you over the moon with the EV and joined the never look back brigade?
Its my wife's car, I don't get to drive it much, but I do like driving it.
She loves it, not so much because its an EV, it just suits her driving style (fast!).
The downside is the poor range for country driving.
About 75% of our driving is at 100 or 110, and while its incredibly efficient in the city driving, thats not where we are at.
In about a year or so we will look at what comes next.
It will likely be another EV, as we have great capacity to charge from home, plus I wanted some insurance in case Oz suddenly has no access to diesel or petrol.
Will also consider a hybrid, but I would want one where the primary source is battery with the ICE merely as a backup, rather than the other way around.
I still have my Ranger ute, which will hopefully run forever.
Mick