Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Donald Trump - Business and tax stories

Screenshot_20230710-132824.png

There were a billion reasons why Donald Trump was so loved by go getters. This is one of them.

The story is horrific. It is not just the millions stolen by grifters, con artists and cyber thieves. There are also thousands of people whose identities were stolen and used to defraud the government. Now these people who knew nothing about the fraud are being chased for repayments of money they never took. As is clear from the story it didn't take hindsight to realise where this was going to end. Check out the detail of the range of known crooks and the consequences for people who were unwittingly used.

It is cluster fucx beyond belief. Another nightmare caused by the mal administration of Donald Trump.

Crime of the Century

The Trillion-Dollar Grift: Inside the Greatest Scam of All Time

The pandemic relief was the biggest bailout in history, and it opened the door to wide-scale fraud the likes of which no one had ever seen — more than three years later, we still don't know how much damage was done

Illustration by Victor Juhasz
Jul 9, 2023 9:15 am

RS-COVID-FRAUD-VERSION-1-RGB-copy.jpg

I n late March 2020, Haywood Talcove, a CEO at LexisNexis Risk Solutions, was packing up his office, having sent his employees home. He was worrying about laying off his staff, his family’s health, and how he was going to manage two young kids at home during the pandemic.

But when President Trump announced an initial $2.2 trillion relief package to bail out the millions of Americans desperate for cash during the national lockdown, his concern turned away from the coronavirus. An expert in cybersecurity, Talcove has worked in both the private and public sectors, and has been raising the alarm about the government’s exposure to scams for many years. And now, it was like all of his prior analysis and warnings about fraud had just become real.

“I said, ‘Oh, my God, they’re going to allow anyone to get unemployment-insurance benefits,” he recalls. “The systems are vulnerable. All you needed was a name, a date of birth, an address, and a social security number.”

Talcove’s a proud Boston guy who moved to Washington, D.C., in 1990, and went on to help an anti-government-waste-style Republican become governor of New Hampshire. He knew the relief plan would be irresistible to scam artists and especially tempting to organized transnational criminal groups. “As soon as the CARES money was announced, we started seeing squawking on the dark web, criminal groups in China, Nigeria, Romania, and Russia — they see our systems are open,” Talcove says. He estimates that “the United States government is the single largest funder of cybersecurity fraud in the world.”

Haywoodtalcove2.jpg

Talcove, the CEO of LexisNexis Risk Solutions’ Government division, tried to warn the federal government of potential large-scale CARES Act scams.
Talcove understood that he had to act. So he called the White House, trying to warn of the threat. No response. Finally, after weeks of trying to get through, one night while he was playing with his kids, he got a call from an unknown number. It was Larry Kudlow, Trump’s director of the National Economic Council. “I’m like, ‘Mr. Kudlow, I really need to warn you that you have to do something about identity verification,’” Talcove recalls, “’or it’s going to be the biggest fraud in the history of our country.’” (Kudlow didn’t respond to requests for comment.)

He says he talked to Kudlow for about 15 minutes but couldn’t get him to budge. “Kudlow’s like, ‘The money has to get out quickly. You can’t have speed and security,’” Talcove says. “But I’m like, ‘That is bull****. Sir, that’s just not true. Now you’re never going to get the money back.’”​

Eventually, he says Kudlow told him to get in touch with the folks in charge of sending out small-business loans and the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance loans. But those guys told him they aren’t seeing any fraud. “I’m like, ‘Dude, you haven’t even given out any money yet! That’s why you’re not seeing it,’” Talcove says. “I’m sending them screenshots of the dark web. I’m explaining exactly how it’s going to go down. And I tell them you are going to have a $200 billion problem on your hands if you do nothing.”

There were a billion reasons why Donald Trump was so loved by go getters. This is one of them.

The story is horrific. It is not just the millions stolen by grifters, con artists and cyber thieves. There are also thousands of people whose identities were stolen and used to defraud the government. Now these people who knew nothing about the fraud are being chased for repayments of money they never took. As is clear from the story it didn't take hindsight to realise where this was going to end. Check out the detail of the range of known crooks and the consequences for people who were unwittingly used.

It is cluster fucx beyond belief. Another nightmare caused by the mal administration of Donald Trump.

Crime of the Century

The Trillion-Dollar Grift: Inside the Greatest Scam of All Time

The pandemic relief was the biggest bailout in history, and it opened the door to wide-scale fraud the likes of which no one had ever seen — more than three years later, we still don't know how much damage was done

Illustration by Victor Juhasz
Jul 9, 2023 9:15 am

View attachment 159448

I n late March 2020, Haywood Talcove, a CEO at LexisNexis Risk Solutions, was packing up his office, having sent his employees home. He was worrying about laying off his staff, his family’s health, and how he was going to manage two young kids at home during the pandemic.

But when President Trump announced an initial $2.2 trillion relief package to bail out the millions of Americans desperate for cash during the national lockdown, his concern turned away from the coronavirus. An expert in cybersecurity, Talcove has worked in both the private and public sectors, and has been raising the alarm about the government’s exposure to scams for many years. And now, it was like all of his prior analysis and warnings about fraud had just become real.

“I said, ‘Oh, my God, they’re going to allow anyone to get unemployment-insurance benefits,” he recalls. “The systems are vulnerable. All you needed was a name, a date of birth, an address, and a social security number.”

Talcove’s a proud Boston guy who moved to Washington, D.C., in 1990, and went on to help an anti-government-waste-style Republican become governor of New Hampshire. He knew the relief plan would be irresistible to scam artists and especially tempting to organized transnational criminal groups. “As soon as the CARES money was announced, we started seeing squawking on the dark web, criminal groups in China, Nigeria, Romania, and Russia — they see our systems are open,” Talcove says. He estimates that “the United States government is the single largest funder of cybersecurity fraud in the world.”

View attachment 159449

Talcove, the CEO of LexisNexis Risk Solutions’ Government division, tried to warn the federal government of potential large-scale CARES Act scams.
Talcove understood that he had to act. So he called the White House, trying to warn of the threat. No response. Finally, after weeks of trying to get through, one night while he was playing with his kids, he got a call from an unknown number. It was Larry Kudlow, Trump’s director of the National Economic Council. “I’m like, ‘Mr. Kudlow, I really need to warn you that you have to do something about identity verification,’” Talcove recalls, “’or it’s going to be the biggest fraud in the history of our country.’” (Kudlow didn’t respond to requests for comment.)

He says he talked to Kudlow for about 15 minutes but couldn’t get him to budge. “Kudlow’s like, ‘The money has to get out quickly. You can’t have speed and security,’” Talcove says. “But I’m like, ‘That is bull****. Sir, that’s just not true. Now you’re never going to get the money back.’”​

Eventually, he says Kudlow told him to get in touch with the folks in charge of sending out small-business loans and the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance loans. But those guys told him they aren’t seeing any fraud. “I’m like, ‘Dude, you haven’t even given out any money yet! That’s why you’re not seeing it,’” Talcove says. “I’m sending them screenshots of the dark web. I’m explaining exactly how it’s going to go down. And I tell them you are going to have a $200 billion problem on your hands if you do nothing.”

It was to keep the US turning. Maybe talk about Ukraine funding if you want to talk about grifters. Seems like an "anything to paint Trump" kind of story. Not surprisingly from Rolling BS.

Rudd did the same thing during 2007 with multiple schemes. So did scomo. It was open to abuse.

It was to keep the US turning. Maybe talk about Ukraine funding if you want to talk about grifters. Seems like an "anything to paint Trump" kind of story. Not surprisingly from Rolling BS.

Rudd did the same thing during 2007 with multiple schemes. So did scomo. It was open to abuse.
Yes it was to keep the US turning. The problem was however exactly what Hayward Talcove recogised within minutes of reading the announcement.

An expert in cybersecurity, Talcove has worked in both the private and public sectors, and has been raising the alarm about the government’s exposure to scams for many years. And now, it was like all of his prior analysis and warnings about fraud had just become real.

He then went on to convince the Administration of how open to fraud this decision was going to be. But to no avail. He didn't want to see it shut down. He did say, with plenty of evidence, that allowing the scheme to go ahead without stronger identity protocols was a passport to unmitigated scamming. He knew this because he was seeing on the dark web the huge increase in identity activities and sales. And he showed them that information.

I gather you didn't bother reading the whole story. Or if you did the extent of the known criminality and consequences on people whose identity was used are simply of minor consequence.

With regard to potting off Rudd and Scomo. Yep some significant misuse of public funds. Largely through business particularly in the exploitation of wage subsidies in the Covid payments. But neither of these examples involved just giving people cart blanche to claim employment benefits by mail with no personal identification.

Again if you read the story in full you would have seen that the focus now is making this a bi partisan effort to :

1) Try to recover some of the funds and deal with the fraudsters
2) Tighten up systems across the US to prevent the next biog scam.

Yes it was to keep the US turning. The problem was however exactly what Hayward Talcove recogised within minutes of reading the announcement.

An expert in cybersecurity, Talcove has worked in both the private and public sectors, and has been raising the alarm about the government’s exposure to scams for many years. And now, it was like all of his prior analysis and warnings about fraud had just become real.

He then went on to convince the Administration of how open to fraud this decision was going to be. But to no avail. He didn't want to see it shut down. He did say, with plenty of evidence, that allowing the scheme to go ahead without stronger identity protocols was a passport to unmitigated scamming. He knew this because he was seeing on the dark web the huge increase in identity activities and sales. And he showed them that information.

I gather you didn't bother reading the whole story. Or if you did the extent of the known criminality and consequences on people whose identity was used are simply of minor consequence.

With regard to potting off Rudd and Scomo. Yep some significant misuse of public funds. Largely through business particularly in the exploitation of wage subsidies in the Covid payments. But neither of these examples involved just giving people cart blanche to claim employment benefits by mail with no personal identification.

Again if you read the story in full you would have seen that the focus now is making this a bi partisan effort to :

1) Try to recover some of the funds and deal with the fraudsters
2) Tighten up systems across the US to prevent the next biog scam.
They didn't care due to the money filtering round the system. I thought what Rudd did was stupid and wasteful. Scomo wasn't much better. But obviously the (tax) house always wins.

They didn't care due to the money filtering round the system. I thought what Rudd did was stupid and wasteful. Scomo wasn't much better. But obviously the (tax) house always wins.

Scomo gave $26bil to profitable overseas companies the money was never spent here none nada sfa

That's what I mean. There was a lot of waste due to the speed of it.

Maybe NZ had claw back along with most western countries it was the biggest transfer of wealth to private businesses in Australia’s history $total of $40bill plus to profitable companies like I said $20bill plus went straight off shore.

Biggest waste of taxpayers money ever and to add insult most of the companies didn’t pay taxes ?

Maybe NZ had claw back along with most western countries it was the biggest transfer of wealth to private businesses in Australia’s history $total of $40bill plus to profitable companies like I said $20bill plus went straight off shore.

Biggest waste of taxpayers money ever and to add insult most of the companies didn’t pay taxes ?
Look how things are going though. If you really want to see where billions are getting wasted, look at the lobbyists influencing political spending. It's massive waste all around on stupid ideas from half-baked greedy idiots.
A lot for substandard results or things that don't work.

Meanwhile the plebs will be working till their 70 to keep the govt spending rolling.

Check out RINO Turtle (Mitch McConnell). The fact he is even allow back to Congress in this state is a joke.

The bigge
They are desperate to take him out of the election, or at least severely limit his ability to campaign.

This is bad juju, third world stuff from the Dems
And one of the worst outcomers is that it will give the GOP a n million reasons to do the same sort of stupiidty when next they get into office.
Mind you, the GOP started it all when they tried to impeach Clinton, but this garbage takes it all to another level.
The question is, how much of the American population will have an even lower opinion of their agencies such as the CIA, FBI, DOJ, Jury system, the mainstream media, the social media megaliths etc.
When support for community and state institutions falls to far, its civil unrest and anarchy that takes over, and eventually revolution or collapse.
I fear for the future of the USA.
Mick

Trump has now been formally indicted on 4 charges relating to his attempt to overturn the 2020 election results. Lying through his teeth about electoral fraud, setting up false electoral slates, trying to block certification of the results.

I think it is definitely in Donald Trumps interest to demand a speedy trial and get on the witness box to clear his name ASAP. :)
A very detailed indictment that maps out much of the evidence. I reckon there will be more to come.

Donald Trump’s January 6 indictment: six key takeaways

The former president is facing several charges in connection with his efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 elections

Léonie Chao-Fong and Maanvi Singh
Wed 2 Aug 2023 11.59 AESTFirst published on Wed 2 Aug 2023 10.32 AEST

Donald Trump has been charged with several crimes in connection with his efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election, in a historic indictment that is deepening the former president’s legal peril.
3445.jpg
Donald Trump faces four charges over efforts to overturn 2020 election
Read more

The charges, filed by the special counsel Jack Smith in federal district court in Washington DC on Tuesday, accuse Trump of conspiracies that targeted a “bedrock function of the United States federal government: the nation’s process of collecting, counting and certifying the results of the presidential election”.

Here are some key takeaways from the latest indictment:

Trump faces four charges​

The former president is accused of conspiring to defraud the United States government, conspiring to obstruct an official proceeding, conspiring against rights, and obstruction and attempt to obstruct an official proceeding.

In the 45-page indictment, prosecutors laid out their case in stark detail, alleging Trump knowingly spread false allegations about fraud, convened false slates of electors and attempted to block the certification of the election on January 6.

The former president was “determined to remain in power”​

Federal prosecutors said Trump was “determined to remain in power”. Prosecutors said that for two months after his election loss, Trump spread lies to create an “intense national atmosphere of mistrust and anger” and “erode public faith in the administration of the election”. They cited an example in Georgia, where Trump claimed more than 10,000 dead people voted in four days even after the state’s top elections official told him that was not true.

The special counsel wants a speedy trial​

It’s unclear yet when the case will go to trial, but Jack Smith said his office will seek speedy proceedings.

“I must emphasize that the indictment is only an allegation and that the defendant must be presumed innocent until proven guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt, in a court of law,” Smith said in a press conference on Tuesday.

Trump has now been formally indicted on 4 charges relating to his attempt to overturn the 2020 election results. Lying through his teeth about electoral fraud, setting up false electoral slates, trying to block certification of the results.

I think it is definitely in Donald Trumps interest to demand a speedy trial and get on the witness box to clear his name ASAP. :)
A very detailed indictment that maps out much of the evidence. I reckon there will be more to come.

Donald Trump’s January 6 indictment: six key takeaways

The former president is facing several charges in connection with his efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 elections

Léonie Chao-Fong and Maanvi Singh
Wed 2 Aug 2023 11.59 AESTFirst published on Wed 2 Aug 2023 10.32 AEST

Donald Trump has been charged with several crimes in connection with his efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election, in a historic indictment that is deepening the former president’s legal peril.
View attachment 160434
Donald Trump faces four charges over efforts to overturn 2020 election
Read more

The charges, filed by the special counsel Jack Smith in federal district court in Washington DC on Tuesday, accuse Trump of conspiracies that targeted a “bedrock function of the United States federal government: the nation’s process of collecting, counting and certifying the results of the presidential election”.

Here are some key takeaways from the latest indictment:

Trump faces four charges​

The former president is accused of conspiring to defraud the United States government, conspiring to obstruct an official proceeding, conspiring against rights, and obstruction and attempt to obstruct an official proceeding.

In the 45-page indictment, prosecutors laid out their case in stark detail, alleging Trump knowingly spread false allegations about fraud, convened false slates of electors and attempted to block the certification of the election on January 6.

The former president was “determined to remain in power”​

Federal prosecutors said Trump was “determined to remain in power”. Prosecutors said that for two months after his election loss, Trump spread lies to create an “intense national atmosphere of mistrust and anger” and “erode public faith in the administration of the election”. They cited an example in Georgia, where Trump claimed more than 10,000 dead people voted in four days even after the state’s top elections official told him that was not true.

The special counsel wants a speedy trial​

It’s unclear yet when the case will go to trial, but Jack Smith said his office will seek speedy proceedings.

“I must emphasize that the indictment is only an allegation and that the defendant must be presumed innocent until proven guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt, in a court of law,” Smith said in a press conference on Tuesday.
Speedy trial huh. I wonder why.

Speedy trial huh. I wonder why.
Well clearly to ensure that the defendent has the earliest opportunity to clear his good name.
Justice delayed is justice denied.

In any case even if we was convicted it seems he could still stand and be voted President. So this could be the greatest opportunity for Donald Trump to disprove the accusations made against him. All he has to do is undermine the statements and evidence that are supporting the indictments.

Indictments won’t disqualify Trump from office

Trump’s indictments will not bar him from seeking the presidency again, nor will any conviction.