Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Cashless society

I haven’t tried it myself, My car is electric hahaha so I am not buying anything at the servo etc for cokes and pasties, and even in the 17 years of driving a petrol car I never had my card fail, But I did see a lawyer talking about it, and apparently that’s the law, you give your licence details and tell them your plan, then you can just leave and return with the payment.
Though I do recall some years my youngest son was working on stations in the Murchison during his Uni years. Somehow left his wallet at the previous station and was on his way to another. Filled up the car at a road house in the middle of nowhere and no coin. No help. The owners took his spare tyre and all of his tools and said IF he came back with the money plus 10% he could have his gear back.

Though I do recall some years my youngest son was working on stations in the Murchison during his Uni years. Somehow left his wallet at the previous station and was on his way to another. Filled up the car at a road house in the middle of nowhere and no coin. No help. The owners took his spare tyre and all of his tools and said IF he came back with the money plus 10% he could have his gear back.
In that situation I would have called the police, explained the situation and told them what I was going to do.

I used to work at a Servo when I left high school, the owner used to deal with those situations, most of the time he let people drive off and they always came back.

One time a lady insisted on leaving her 12 year old kid with us proof she was coming back, it was a long 20 min wait hoping that we hadn’t just been dumped with a kid?

It’s no big deal, just go inside the fuel station, give them your details and tell them you will be back within the hour with the payment.
The point you're missing is that you will not be able to come back within the hour and possibly not even within 24 hours.

1. You put fuel in the car.

2. You go into the shop and pay but can't because the bank's system has crashed and you don't have cash.

What do you do now?

You can't go somewhere else and withdraw cash because the bank's system is down so scratch that one.

At some future time you could go into the servo and pay, or you could call them up and pay over the phone once the bank's working again, but it's beyond your control when that might be. In the meantime you're driving around with fuel you haven't paid for and possibly making other purchases aware you won't be able to pay for those either.

Cash solves all those problems hence I keep some as insurance. :2twocents

The point you're missing is that you will not be able to come back within the hour or even the day.

1. You put fuel in the car.

2. You go into the shop and pay but can't because the bank's system has crashed and you don't have cash.

What do you do now?

You can't go somewhere else and withdraw cash because the bank's system is down so scratch that one. :2twocents
That’s why I said have the emergency $100. It’s kinda of a red herring to my point, my point is about using cash as your go to method.

But in your example of a complete black out, would the petrol bowsers even be working anyway???

But in your example of a complete black out, would the petrol bowsers even be working anyway???
In the actual situation that occurred last November, the supermarket had limited power from a generator, they had the freezers and very limited lighting running from that, and that was it.

It was cash payment only, because no working communications thus no EFTPOS.

So whilst I don't routinely pay cash, I do see it as having very real value as a backup.

Just as I could say my most common mode of transport is walking and second most common is driving but the existence of a bus to the CBD and the existence of taxis / Uber is a reassuring backup "just in case". :2twocents

1, You said you use cash, and gave an example of using cash when you could have collected points, so I assumed you aren’t making the most of it.

2, No, you don’t earn points on the Tax office transactions. However, you can use those gift cards you get at coles when they are on sale for a 10% discount, and collect flybuys in the process.

3, smart but every bit counts, so add your groceries on there too.

4, Really??? You actually enjoy handling cash? Getting change actually annoys the hell out of me.

5, I am not guessing, I am going off what you told me.

Now you’re just being silly.

How to earn points with ATO payments​

What we'll be covering​

1. Paying the ATO with a credit card directly
  2. Which rewards cards earn points at the Australian Tax Office (ATO)?
  3. Using payment processors like Pay.com.au to earn points with the ATO
  4. Working out if the surcharge is worth paying
  5. Summing up

IMG_0504.jpeg

Not being silly at all, none of the credit cards I have owned offer points for ATO transactions, plus the ATO charges a fee which may be more than the points are worth.

Which credit card do you earn points on for ATO transactions?

If you have used your card for the ATO, go to your points history and see if that transaction generated points, you might be surprised to see that it didn’t.

Edit.
Just checked the terms of CBA, Only one cba card allows points on ATO transactions, and that’s the business card, which is a not a great card to begin with, and the points earn rate is very low. And it doesn’t have some other key features.

IMG_8570.jpeg

Last edited:
Not being silly at all, none of the credit cards I have owned offer points of ATO transactions, plus the ATO charges a fee which may be more than the points are worth.

Which credit cards earn points on ATO transactions?

If you have used your card for the ATO, go to your points history and see if that transaction generated points, you might be surprised to see that it didn’t.

Edit.
Just checked the terms of CBA, Only one cba card allows points on ATO transactions, and that’s the business card, which is a not a great card to begin with, and the points earn rate is very low.

View attachment 158745

2, No, you don’t earn points on the Tax office transactions.” Value Collector

You are being silly because you are presuming that you know everything.

I received a very large number of points from my ATO payment, as in flybys to my Qantas account .

Yeah that’s what I said, did you read my edit? The earn rate is pretty low in that card, it probably doesn’t justify the fee.

You are being silly because you are presuming that you know everything.

I received a very large number of points from my ATO payment, as in flybys to my Qantas account .
I am not claiming to know everything, but I do read the terms and conditions, and pretty much every card I have look at that’s worth having doesn’t allow ato points, I double checked this morning and as I linked it now shows that the CBA business card does, which it didn’t before, how ever as I said that card is not the best in other ways.

Which card allows you to earn Flybuys on ATO?

And how do you convert Flybuys to Qantas? (Genuine question, I though Flybuys only delt with virgin)

I gave you the link, read it. While I check out the new post from rederob ;)
I did read it it doesn't answer my question.

did you read the link? and do the math? its not a great way to earn points, even if you use the best card in the link, you have to spend $43 in fees to earn points worth roughly $70 in points and they are only worth $70 if you spend them on very specific ways like a reward seat, if you use them on buying a regular seat they are only worth about $35 so you aren't even breaking even.

But if you really just want to convert cash to points, you can just buy points directly from the airline, for about the some amount you spend in fees.

I did read it it doesn't answer my question.

Yes, it does, you said “No, you don’t earn points on the Tax office transactions.” You were wrong.

Not only did I earn points from paying the ATO with a card, I made sure that I did it while there was a promotion on. Received a bonus 150,000 points.

Now no more silly games, time to accept that you don't know everything and that some of us on here may know something that you don't :xyxthumbs

1, Yes, it does, you said “No, you don’t earn points on the Tax office transactions.” You were wrong.

2, time to accept that you don't know everything and that some of us on here may know something that you don't :xyxthumbs
1, I know that, I already accepted that a small number of cards allow you to earn points, as the screen shot of the terms and conditions shows alot of cards don't allow it, so its good for people to know that and check before they try it.

2, I do accepted that, thats why I am asking the question that for some reason you are avoiding, as I said its a genuine question.

I will post my question again-

And how do you convert Flybuys to Qantas? (Genuine question, I though Flybuys only delt with virgin)

(I am asking this question because I collect a lot of flybuys and am thinking about switching from virgin points to qantas points, but I didn't think that was possible, but you seem to have found a way, if you mis-spoke and its not possible thats fine, I am just asking for my own information)

1, I know that, I already accepted that a small number of cards allow you to earn points, as the screen shot of the terms and conditions shows alot of cards don't allow it, so its good for people to know that and check before they try it.

2, I do accepted that, thats why I am asking the question that for some reason you are avoiding, as I said its a genuine question.

I will post my question again-

(I am asking this question because I collect a lot of flybuys and am thinking about switching from virgin points to qantas points, but I didn't think that was possible, but you seem to have found a way, if you mis-spoke and its not possible thats fine, I am just asking for my own information)

Listen rederob, you lost the original debate. Stop falling back onto your old habit of changing the goal post and accusing others of the incomitance that you have shown.