Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Cashless society

This is commonsense explanation: "Choice is key. Everyone has the right to spend and bank on their own terms."

Despite the rapid development of convenient, seamless digital payment methods, the 100 per cent cashless society remains a distant prospect.
Cash is a trusted, reliable and essentially secure way to spend, and still adds up when it comes to straightforward everyday budgeting.
Rather than cashless becoming the only option, it is perhaps more likely that we’ll see a convergence between ATM driven cash use and mobile payments — a balance between the digital and the physical that provides freedom of choice.
Cash matters to people on lower incomes and also the older age group, so it’s important to ensure that they’re not locked out by a no-compromise cashless economy.
Choice is key. Everyone has the right to spend and bank on their own terms. If that means facial recognition, apps and biometric authentication then the technology is ready. But cash-preferred customers who seek physical interaction matter too.

Listen rederob, you lost the original debate. Stop falling back onto your old habit of changing the goal post and accusing others of the incomitance that you have shown.
Ok, so I will just assume you miss spoke.

I didn’t move the goal posts, I moved on. I accepted that a small number of cards allow you to earn points, and I showed you why I originally believed they didn’t.

Then I asked further questions about what you said because As I said I am interested in finding out, but because you don’t just tell me the answer I have to believe it’s not true, and that you just miss spoke and are a bit to proud to admit you were wrong on a very minor point.

Ok, so I will just assume you miss spoke.

I didn’t move the goal posts, I moved on. I accepted that a small number of cards allow you to earn points, and I showed you why I originally believed they didn’t.

Then I asked further questions about what you said because As I said I am interested in finding out, but because you don’t just tell me the answer I have to believe it’s not true, and that you just miss spoke and are a bit to proud to admit you were wrong on a very minor point.

Seriously, you want me to give personal information out onto a social forum.

"You might be suffering Stockholm syndrome, and not realise the inconvenience you are suffering because you are used to the inconvenience."

To which I answered, 'Do you know that you can pay your tax bill with a card and collect thousands of points?'

And you said “No, you don’t earn points on the Tax office transactions.”

You were wrong.

And instead of admitting it you go off on a crusade to change the goal posts, just like your bro rederob ;)

"You might be suffering Stockholm syndrome, and not realise the inconvenience you are suffering because you are used to the inconvenience."

To which I answered, 'Do you know that you can pay your tax bill with a card and collect thousands of points?'

You were wrong.

And instead of admitting it you go off on a crusade to change the goal posts, just like your bro rederob ;)

You were wrong.

Ok you need to stop saying I moved the goal posts, we are allowed to talk about different topics, especially after I have already conceded your point about ATO transactions earning points.

If anyone had moved the goal post it’s you, because you started this conversation extolling the virtues of cash, now you are extolling the virtues of earning points, which is actually the benefits I was talking about to begin with.

I new asked for personal info, just was interested to know which card allows you to earn flybuys that can be converted to Qantas points, I think you might have exaggerated that claim.

But I done with this conversation, so good bye.

Yeah, but that involves inconvenience to and potentially extra costs. Also won't you still need your card to get cash out of the supermarket or post office, isn't that just the same as eftpos at that point

Thats my point, you then have to make sure you are always carrying around spare emergency cash, you can use if the ATM is down at the time you go to top up your regular cash supply, so if you decide to carry emergency cash you how is that much different to carrying a spare debit card.

Eftpos is much different at all, considering your "back up" plan is to use a supermarket eftpos system to get access to cash.
Umm, I'm not sure we are on the same wave length here.

I'm a big advocate for carrying cash especially living out here in the outback. One should always have some real cash in reserve and the just-in-case scenarios.

To be clear, my backup plan was, is, always will be, that I'm never without cold, hard cash in my sky rocket (back pocket).

Cash or cashless makes no never mind I use whatever achieves the purpose. Hell, I can't shop online with cash, so cashless it is and yes, I've even you'd Pay in 4...

Like you say, it's a personal choice but what's that saying, never leave home without it.

Like you say, it's a personal choice but what's that saying, never leave home without it.
That saying was for American Express credit card, just "don't" instead of never.
Said in a thick yank accent by some smooth cigar chugging, sour mash whisky sippin chump.
Can't get it out of my head... over 40 years on from hearing it regularly, aye carumba.

Here,

Had to make a substantial final payment on a hay mower we had recently purchased today.
Preferred method of payment electronic transfer.
Well what a dog's breakfast this morning turned out to be.
Couldn't do the transfer, something gone amiss at the banks end.
Payment had to be made today to keep the bonus and tax dodge for EOY in the lyng and cheating department.
Finished up by having to travel to Northam and hand over a cheque to keep the dealership happy.
Sure as hell I wasn't. Lost half a day travelling when a few presses on the keyboard would have been the same.
Informed the clown at the bank over the phone NOT impressed, and by the way Bendigo Bank is looking pretty good at the moment.
Silence from his end.

Given that Australia is under a hack attack and digital banking is really copping it. Never a better time to use cash.

I think the rise of AI will force more use on cash for both privacy and safety.

I received a letter from a financial company that took over GEMoney, which I used 22 years to purchase PC interest free from Harvey Norman, informing me that they had been hacked and my personal information had been accessed. Drivers license number, address, phone number, email address.

My question; why keep my information for that long? And, how can we possibly trust the digital financial system when hacking of their systems is almost a daily occurrence?

At least the letter put things in perspective for me, I’ve been receiving strange emails, texts, and phone calls that ring once or twice then stop. I reply to none, and never call back those short rings.

The cashless society is a very long way into the future.

I received a letter from a financial company that took over GEMoney, which I used 22 years to purchase PC interest free from Harvey Norman, informing me that they had been hacked and my personal information had been accessed. Drivers license number, address, phone number, email address.

My question; why keep my information for that long? And, how can we possibly trust the digital financial system when hacking of their systems is almost a daily occurrence?

At least the letter put things in perspective for me, I’ve been receiving strange emails, texts, and phone calls that ring once or twice then stop. I reply to none, and never call back those short rings.

The cashless society is a very long way into the future.
John De I got a call at 2.30am this morning wanting my post code. I now tie this intrusion at the sleeping hour into my efforts to transfer a substantial sum a couple of days ago.
Cash is king
The seeding job I am doing today will be folding only.

My question; why keep my information for that long?

Because it costs money to continually clean the data.

I'm also impacted by the Latitude Financial hack having once held a credit card issued by Coles which at the time was backed by GE Money and subsequently bought by Latitude. Just one of those things.

If you are worried contact credit reporting companies and put a block in place. I believe the block can be upgraded to a permanent one but it may cause you issues if you apply for a loan at some point in the future.

Re. Latitude debacle. I received three letters from this mob yesterday, my partner receive hers the day before. Both of us have not used any of this company's products for over 15 years.

With my letters, one was addressed to the previous home owner of my PPR, been at my PPR for over 20yrs! Previous owner has been deceased for quite some time.
The 2nd letter was addressed to my dearly departed wife of 12yrs.

Fun fact to know and tell. I still get letters addressed to her from charities asking for donations even though I ring to explain and have her name removed for any and all of their phone and mailing lists.

I'll echo the question, why are our details not scrubbed?
Data is money and one's credit history is like a criminal record is why.

Perhaps our credit records should be quarantined after say, seven years. One thing's for certain, data breaches erode our faith in the cashless systems we use.

I was interested to read earlier in this thread Cheques are still Legal Tender in Australia as NZ phased out Cheques as being Legal Tender a while ago.

Interestingly Kiwibank NZ's only 100% Government owned Bank was the first to stop accepting Cheques.

bux

I was interested to read earlier in this thread Cheques are still Legal Tender in Australia as NZ phased out Cheques as being Legal Tender a while ago.

Interestingly Kiwibank NZ's only 100% Government owned Bank was the first to stop accepting Cheques.

bux
Not sure if this applies to businesses but the local credit union has stopped issuing personal cheque books quite some time ago.

To my knowledge ANZ and Westpac have given notice of phasing out cheques also.

bux
Hmm for me recently, thankfully cheques are still the norm. I use them to pay my Dept of Ttrans vehlcle licences and agriculutral supplier. Also any mob that charges a surcharges will get paid by cheque also.

Hmm for me recently, thankfully cheques are still the norm. I use them to pay my Dept of Ttrans vehlcle licences and agriculutral supplier. Also any mob that charges a surcharges will get paid by cheque also.
Thinking only a matter of time till they phase out cheques.. and my 'ol man terribly frustrated as he's old school only believes in cash & cheques so life becoming more difficult for him nowadays