Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Australian Bankruptcies

Maybe normal people can't afford to live in your area, therefore low paying work that you mentioned, couldn't attract the workers required.
The businesses should advertise at the nearest university, there will be plenty of graduates looking for work.
It’s a pretty stock standard suburb middle class and working class area, in the outer suburbs of Brisbane.

Exactly.
If the workers cannot find accomodation, then it matters little how good the wages are.
Mick
Again you guys seem to picture me living in some fancy rich suburb, that’s not the case. I live in a normal suburb, of the freeway about 30kms outside the city. It’s pretty working class actually, with a couple of neighbourhoods near by that are middle class.

I bought this house when I was 20, so obviously it’s not a multi million dollar house in the eastern suburbs of Sydney or anything like that

the shortages are nation wide, it just in my suburb

It’s a pretty stock standard suburb middle class and working class area, in the outer suburbs of Brisbane.
Still probably well out of the area that hospitality workers can afford to live in and probably not overly well serviced with public transport.
Like I said they should advertise at the Uni's, there will be plenty of students that live in and around the area with Mum and Dad, who might want the hours.
It's better than delivering papers. ;)

Still probably well out of the area that hospitality workers can afford to live in and probably not overly well serviced with public transport.
Like I said they should advertise at the Uni's, there will be plenty of students that live in and around the area with Mum and Dad, who might want the hours.
It's better than delivering papers. ;)
there are three train stations with in 5 mins of my house. A decent bus network, and bike lanes.

without giving you the exact suburb I don’t know how to prove it, but some of the cheapest housing in Brisbane is in adjoining suburbs to my location.

there are three train stations with in 5 mins of my house. A decent bus network, and bike lanes.

without giving you the exact suburb I don’t know how to prove it, but some of the cheapest housing in Brisbane is in adjoining suburbs to my location.
Well then the only answer is, you have full employment in your area, or they are paying way too much in welfare.
I've done some pretty crap jobs in my day to make ends meet and I don't believe there are no unemployed people in your area.
From Google:
The unemployment rate in Brisbane Inner City SA4 in July 2023 was 3.2 per cent, an increase of 0.6 percentage point over the year.24 Aug 2023
Or:
Nov 16 2023.

Well then the only answer is, you have full employment in your area, or they are paying way too much in welfare.
I've done some pretty crap jobs in my day to make ends meet and I don't believe there are no unemployed people in your area.
From Google:
The unemployment rate in Brisbane Inner City SA4 in July 2023 was 3.2 per cent, an increase of 0.6 percentage point over the year.24 Aug 2023
Or:
Nov 16 2023.
That’s my point unemployment is very low, it’s actually 2.6 %in northern Brisbane, and in parts of Australia we do need some of the basic workers that TechA said we don’t need.

when I was in primary school unemployment in Brisbane was 12% getting below 3% is so low it’s basically only job snobs and dole bludgers that don’t want to work left.

Do we though?

In my area heaps of hospitality businesses have signs up saying they are looking for staff. The local pizza shop is looking for drivers too.

there is also a truck driver shortage and a shortage of cleaners.

Labour shortages hit hospitality

View attachment 171748

View attachment 171749

View attachment 171750
Again its not a shortage, its merely companies refusing to pay the market rate to fill those jobs. Plenty of labour still available for companies willing to pay $5 - 10 per hour above the relevant industry awards which many companies are already doing. In my experience the companies in those types of industries complaining about not being able to find staff are the ones only paying minimum wage. The solution is simple they need to pay more if they want staff or keep their mouths shut. Its patently ridiculous that in cities such as Sydney and Melbourne with sky high cost of living that there are companies still expecting staff to work for award wages. Not just Sydney or Melbourne any capital city in Australia award wages are generally just too low these days and the better companies are already offering above award. Some companies still have not gotten with the times.

I can tell you from first hand experience whenever I have spoken to small business owners complaining about not being able to get staff or get skilled/experienced staff the first thing I do is ask them how much they are paying. Usually their answer makes it abundantly clear why they are professing to have such difficulties.

Also wages are one issue with working conditions being another issue. I have seen many business not being able to hire or keep staff due to poor working conditions and in some industries its systemic. There are plenty of unemployed people. If a business can't hire the right staff its usually their own fault and they need to increase pay and or working conditions.

In My view, we have enough Barristas, Uber Drivers, Truck Drivers, Cleaners, Trolley Collectors and Pizza Delivery drivers.
A host of these people have degrees not recognized in Australia, which means they can't fill the spots needed
Like Doctors, Nurses, Engineers, Vets, Vet Nurses, Management roles. Middle management roles. etc etc,

Quality NOT quantity.
Instead of overcrowding the country by importing even more people why don't we first focus on cutting red tape so those qualifications and experience can get recognized sooner in Australia. Its extremely wasteful to have foreign doctors here working as Uber drivers.

Instead of overcrowding the country by importing even more people why don't we first focus on cutting red tape so those qualifications and experience can get recognized sooner in Australia. Its extremely wasteful to have foreign doctors here working as Uber drivers.
i would rather cut the folks creating the red tape , otherwise reduction of red tape is just a ( crack) pipe dream

If I want somebody to clean my whole house for $30 and I cannot find somebody to do it does that mean there is a labour shortage and a shortage of cleaners? Or am I just not paying enough?
clean your house AND leave your possessions intact ?? yes you probably are not paying enough

otherwise i can send a team of burglars who are persistent at cleaning out homes , and you can just leave the $30 somewhere easy to find ( i would be glad to get the mongrel;s out of this district for a month or so ) ( just don't tell the insurance company , and you can have a major refit )

clean your house AND leave your possessions intact ?? yes you probably are not paying enough

otherwise i can send a team of burglars who are persistent at cleaning out homes , and you can just leave the $30 somewhere easy to find ( i would be glad to get the mongrel;s out of this district for a month or so ) ( just don't tell the insurance company , and you can have a major refit )
Just in case you didn't realize my post was being sarcastic. I was poking fun at the posters trying to falsely claim there is a labour shortage.

That’s my point unemployment is very low, it’s actually 2.6 %in northern Brisbane, and in parts of Australia we do need some of the basic workers that TechA said we don’t need.

when I was in primary school unemployment in Brisbane was 12% getting below 3% is so low it’s basically only job snobs and dole bludgers that don’t want to work left.
2.6% is the official number which is always understated. And lets not forget to add underemployed people to whatever unemployment there is and that will give you more of an idea of the real slack in the workforce.

According to Roy Morgan there are around 3 million people in Australia who are either unemployed or underemployed!!! Its literally ludicrous to talk about labour shortages!!

On Seek a lot of jobs when you apply for the job will tell you how many people have applied. And I can tell for almost all entry level jobs the minimum is usually 20 applicants with a large percentage of those jobs having 100+ applicants. Every young person I know who is looking for work is saying its tough. I don't know any young people saying its super easy to look for a job. I think guys Value Collector are just swallowing the propaganda narrative from businesses. Sure if you only pay award wages and have poor working conditions and treat your employees like dirt you may have trouble hiring or keeping staff. But I have yet to see a company that pays employees well and treats them well complaining about not being able to find staff.

Business that pay employees poorly and treat them poorly quite frankly don't deserve employees and any trouble they experience trying to keep or hire employees is entirely self inflicted.

Just in case you didn't realize my post was being sarcastic. I was poking fun at the posters trying to falsely claim there is a labour shortage.
i understood what you saying and amplified an angle i have observed over the decades .. underpay and the losses accumulate ( stuff left behind , stolen , etc etc ) pay cheap, but don't expect loyalty or diligence

i am also aware low paying jobs are often used as 'a cover' for folks having other sources of income ( say the dole , or a delivery round , a profitable hobby on the race-tracks etc etc )

2.6% is the official number which is always understated. And lets not forget to add underemployed people to whatever unemployment there is and that will give you more of an idea of the real slack in the workforce.

According to Roy Morgan there are around 3 million people in Australia who are either unemployed or underemployed!!! Its literally ludicrous to talk about labour shortages!!
As I said the fact that there are job vacancies signs up everywhere is evidence that the 2.6% figure is probably accurate.

As I said the fact that there are job vacancies signs up everywhere is evidence that the 2.6% figure is probably accurate.
What about underemployment? Also you haven't tackled my argument about wages and working conditions. A lot of employers don't want to adapt to the times. I would bet that those vacancies advertised will be quickly filled in the case of good companies and in cases where the vacancies are not filled again it comes back to pay and working conditions. You are just entirely ignoring my argument. I am starting to think you are arguing in bad faith at this point.

a big difference between available , and willing to do the work and that has been the way it since the '70s

3 days of tests to get a job at Telecom ( Telstra , now )
can you start tomorrow for a storeman's job in a dusty warehouse ( lucky me didn't know there was oodles of overtime when i said YES )

What about underemployment? Also you haven't tackled my argument about wages and working conditions. A lot of employers don't want to adapt to the times. I would bet that those vacancies advertised will be quickly filled in the case of good companies and in cases where the vacancies are not filled again it comes back to pay and working conditions. You are just entirely ignoring my argument. I am starting to think you are arguing in bad faith at this point.
You aren’t providing evidence for your argument, you are just hypothesising because you don’t seem to want to believe that a population can hit full employment.

You aren’t providing evidence for your argument, you are just hypothesising because you don’t seem to want to believe that a population can hit full employment.
In other threads I provided evidence of lackluster wages growth and now I provided evidence of high national unemployment. Its very hard for me to provide reliable granulized data for part of a city. If you name a few suburbs where you are talking about I could show you many job postings on Seek where pay is too low or expectations of the company are too high and the reason for the vacancy is clear. Yes full employment can theoretically exist but I am fairly confident almost nowhere in Australia does it currently exist.

Can you provide evidence for your claim that these areas have full employment? Other than ABS manipulated statistics and job vacancy signs at tight arse local businesses with poor working conditions paying rock bottom wages?