Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ASF spelling and grammar lessons

I found my post from a while back and find it is still common to see lose spelled incorrectly.Sometimes on purpose I think.:eek:
Loose could mean "free mobility of the bowels", or, inexact; indefinite; vague; not strict; unrestrained; lax; licentious; dispersedly or openly disposed; not serried; not in possession of the ball(soccer); or the player(rugby); unrestraint; freedom; abandonment; an outbreak of self indulgence; a course of rush; event; upshot, end, as in very loose.

Pangloss
-noun
#an incurable optimist in a satire by Voltaire

Panglossian
–adjective
#characterized by or given to extreme optimism, esp. in the face of unrelieved hardship or adversity.

Anticipatory

adjective
Date: 1669
: characterized by anticipation : anticipating <took anticipatory measures to prevent floods>

: the group agreed that picking stock market turns was an anticipatory process. (my example)

As a safety issue can people please refrain from pouring over charts, as in "I will pour over my charts to find a trade".

I don't know what it is that is being poured, but if it is over paper charts there could be a mess and if it is over charts on a screen there is an electrical hazard.

If anyone does need to study a chart carefully and attentively please pore over it instead.

Bless you, Timmy Just hope people read your post.

But by far the most common error (which drives me nuts) is "there" for "their" and vice versa.

Let's just try this: "I am going there".

"They all took off their coats".

Is that too hard to remember?

Another rather curious one was "Here, Here!" as an endorsement of what someone has said.
Does that really make sense?
It's "Hear, hear", or fairly obviously an admonition to the audience to 'listen up' to the wisdom being espoused.

We hear it constantly when the politicians are giving a speech. Their colleagues nod sagely and every 7 seconds say "Hear, Hear!!!".

As a safety issue can people please refrain from pouring over charts, as in "I will pour over my charts to find a trade".

I don't know what it is that is being poured, but if it is over paper charts there could be a mess and if it is over charts on a screen there is an electrical hazard.

If anyone does need to study a chart carefully and attentively please pore over it instead.
Selecting stocks by pouring over charts is likely to make you poorer indeed, but it is better than making poo rings on it I suppose...

But by far the most common error (which drives me nuts) is "there" for "their" and vice versa.

Let's just try this: "I am going there".

"They all took off their coats".

Is that too hard to remember?

yes it is ---- so their !! --- oops, i mean there --- told u it was hard :D (u would be "you" of course)

Another rather curious one was "Here, Here!" as an endorsement of what someone has said.
Does that really make sense?

perhaps they just want the speaker to move a little closer ---- could be a romantic gesture :remybussi

apologies Julia --- ive been eating crunchy nut corn flakes :p: (ive would be "I've" too ---- but im too bludy lazy to be perticular (perticular is particular if u (you) want to get perdantic (pedantic) about it :D --- im leaving now !!

Just spotted this gem in the jokes thread.
A man go's to the optometrist etc.
Go's? GO'S??
What will be next. I have a pimple on my no's?

Just spotted this gem in the jokes thread.
Go's? GO'S??
What will be next. I have a pimple on my no's?

To be fair, there is much precedence for using the apostrophe to abbreviate a word :p:. In your example, the apostrophe should have been postioned after the 's'.

I don't actually think its that hard.

I would think this is the second most common violation.

The spelling and grammar of those on ASF who are under 30 is noticably worse than that of those who are over 30. I also put some of the blame on mobile phone texting which has largely destroyed the spelling of many of those in Generation Y.

I believe you are confusing writing skills with presentation, and that the presentation is poorer due to cultural differences.

In your example, the apostrophe should have been postioned after the 's'.

So it should be:
A man gos' to the optometrist?
:eek:
No. No apostrophe required .... A man goes to the optometrist.

I'm off to find the joke.:)

I'm not saying it's correct :twak:, just that no's is not consistent with the example he was addressing.

Sometimes a name of a place is spelled wrong and is in fact really correct.
If a building is named John Smith's House and John subsequently dies, then it is not his house anymore, but the name lives on.

The house that belonged to John Smith, called John Smith's House, now belongs to Sandra Brown. Sandra Brown's house is John Smith's House, even though it is not John Smith's house. John Smith used to own John Smith's House that is Sandra Brown's house, but it is not called Sandra Brown's House.

So Sandra Brown lives in John Smith's House, formally owned by John Smith. Where does spelling and grammar come into it?

To be fair, there is much precedence for using the apostrophe to abbreviate a word :p:. In your example, the apostrophe should have been postioned after the 's'.

So it should be:
A man gos' to the optometrist?
:eek:
No. No apostrophe required .... A man goes to the optometrist.
You beat me to it, Timmy. There's a peculiar widespread use of inserting apostrophes where they're not appropriate. The basic principle of their function is:

1. to indicate something omitted: i.e. "there's" is from "there is"
and the 'i' is omitted.

2. to indicate possession: i.e. John's shoes: the shoes
belonging to John.

If it's plural i.e. many boys and possessive, it would be
"the boys' shoes".

So Sandra Brown lives in John Smith's House, formally owned by John Smith. Where does spelling and grammar come into it?
Maybe Noirua was just playing with apostrophes?
Btw, formerly (meaning previously)

Btw, formerly (meaning previously)

Yes, from the word 'former', rather than 'formal'. I usually produce one typo per post if I don't check it first.

There's a peculiar widespread use of inserting apostrophes where they're not appropriate.

I don't think it's that much of a problem. I haven't seen this at all. Go's was the first example I've seen.

I don't think it's that much of a problem. I haven't seen this at all. Go's was the first example I've seen.
Well, perhaps you're just not conscious of it, Mr J.

e.g.

To be fair, there is much precedence for using the apostrophe to abbreviate a word . In your example, the apostrophe should have been postioned after the 's'.
If you really think " gos' " would be right instead of "goes", then perhaps it's not too surprising you don't think inappropriate placement of apostrophes is common. Not having a go at you, Mr J. You usually write good English.
It's just that the apostrophe is probably the most misused component of the language.

Just take a look around your local fruit market some time.
I bet there's a sign offering "Banana's for sale"
In my local paper today I saw "lots of opportunity's".

Just found this thread. I have been very tempted to point out a few examples of poor spelling and grammar in the past, but have refrained.

I'm not sure if it's (go me!) the purpose of ASF really, but it do's drive me mad.

I rather like "do's". I think I'll use it a little and see if it catches on.

Oh and if there is a few hiccups in any of my posts tonight, blame those Little Creatures. Mmmmm beer.

If you look more carefully you will see a difference in the word House and house.
The point in spelling is: That a building or place could be spelled wrongly, but if that is the way the person wanted it to be or they just didn't realize. Then the name that was originally spelled incorrectly becomes correct when looked at, perhaps, 50 years later.

If I built a house and named it Mellbourne House after the city of Melbourne. Then that is not correct, however, later the name remains the same and a person repeating the name of the house is now correct.

So it is possible for what appears to be written wrongly to in fact be correct.
This is often argued in the use of apostrophes that have been put in the wrong place when naming a Church or School. Wrong at the time, but that is the name of the school now and becomes correct.

So it is possible for what appears to be written wrongly to in fact be correct.
This is often argued in the use of apostrophes that have been put in the wrong place when naming a Church or School. Wrong at the time, but that is the name of the school now and becomes correct.
Once named, that's it.
Smith's House
Smiths' House
Smith House
It matters not.
And it's not about apostrophes per se when naming anything. It's about choice.
So Smith can rename her house "Melbourne House" if she prefers.
And Mrs Brown can buy Melbourne House and call it "Cubby House".
As she prefers.