Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ASF spelling and grammar lessons

It's a sign of the times that I opened this thread (excessively long words and all) for some light relief!

Great idea Julia. But it's taken on a life of it's own. Language changes and, as much as I hate "poor English and grammar" I have to recognise this, and not be an "grammarr nazi".

But- the- interaction- about- hyphens- is- interesting-!!!!:D

Great idea Julia. But it's taken on a life of it's own. Language changes and, as much as I hate "poor English and grammar" I have to recognise this, and not be an "grammarr nazi".

But- the- interaction- about- hyphens- is- interesting-!!!!:D
Hi Johenmo, we're at cross purposes here.
I didn't actually start the thread.

My previous post referring to this thread as "light relief" was that I was reading it as such in contrast to all the misery of the current financial mess.

I won't go on about apostrophes again.

I would like to thank the good folk here for now i am much more consieoce of my spelling and have dropped my grammar and spelling mistakes from 1 every second word to a much more acceptable level.

thankyou
a nun

I was wondering...

Do typos count as spelling or grammatical errors? How does one differentiate between a typo and a spelling or grammatical error?

I was wondering...

Do typos count as spelling or grammatical errors? How does one differentiate between a typo and a spelling or grammatical error?
Typos/spelling can impact grammar, but are not elements of grammar.
Oddly enough hyphens are the biggest offenders!

From the Style Manual ... (seems you are allowed to use 3 dots and 3 dots only - sheesh)

Square brackets are primarily used in quoted material to signify editorial interpolations or insertions made by someone other than the author - to clarify, add further info, or to point to errors in the original text.

He writes in his memoirs, "Although I barracked for the Wallabies [Australia], I rarely bet on them, although sometimes I put my money on the All Blacks [New Zealand]".

Whereas Angle Brackets < > have gained prominence in recent years as a distinctive device enclosing email and web addresses. :2twocents

I was wondering...

whitecrane -
I reckon most people would say it's easy to differentiate - i.e. it's a typo if they make it, and it's an error if someone else makes it ... :rolleyes:

Like the accidental omission of the word "not". ;)
Also in conversation, where the addressee hears "not" that may or may not have been there, eg

"I told you (not) to do the mowing".

Bit like that yarn about the Freudian slip..
bloke tells his mate in the pub, both three parts to the wind, "I had one of those Freudian Slip thingos last week"

"yeah? what are they?"
"well - you make a little mistake in your words - like, there was this really buxom lady at the Railway Ticket Office, and I meant to ask for a ticket to Pittsburg..., but what I actually said was "I'd like a picket to Tittsburg"

So his m8 replies, "yep, I know what you mean, I had one just last night - went home, the missus says "hi dear" ,
Now what I meant to say was "hi sweetheart" , but I had one of those slip things just like you ........ and what I said was "you made my life a misery you b1tch" ". :eek:

(not intended to be a sexist joke - easily reversed if a lady wants to tell the same joke lol)

Bit like what some people claim to be typos in withdrawn business letters if you get my drift. :2twocents

whitecrane -
I reckon most people would say it's easy to differentiate - i.e. it's a typo if they make it, and it's an error if someone else makes it ... :rolleyes:

Like the accidental omission of the word "not". ;)
Also in conversation, where the addressee hears "not" that may or may not have been there, eg

"I told you (not) to do the mowing".

Bit like that yarn about the Freudian slip..
bloke tells his mate in the pub, both three parts to the wind, "I had one of those Freudian Slip thingos last week"

"yeah? what are they?"
"well - you make a little mistake in your words - like, there was this really buxom lady at the Railway Ticket Office, and I meant to ask for a ticket to Pittsburg..., but what I actually said was "I'd like a picket to Tittsburg"

So his m8 replies, "yep, I know what you mean, I had one just last night - went home, the missus says "hi dear" ,
Now what I meant to say was "hi sweetheart" , but I had one of those slip things just like you ........ and what I said was "you made my life a misery you b1tch" ". :eek:

(not intended to be a sexist joke - easily reversed if a lady wants to tell the same joke lol)

Bit like what some people claim to be typos in withdrawn business letters if you get my drift. :2twocents
Hi 2020, I'd like to read it round the other way, to difficult for me. That last paragraph could be risky.
PS. Doris and Julia may be none too pleased :(

Hi 2020, I'd like to read it round the other way, to difficult for me. That last paragraph could be risky.
PS. Doris and Julia may be none too pleased :(

yep , so it was the boss and his secretary having a drink after work - and the secreatary says
"I meant to say "hi dear" , but what came out was
"you made my life a misery you idiot".

Reminds me also
The other excuse for withdrawing a business letter is "spellcheck"

Example :-
"Dear Sirs,
Your letter of 16th instant refers. Thank you for your order for five pairs of boots, but unfortuantely you failed to advise the size.
We are dealing in idiots here.
Yours in eternal humble servitude etc etc "

oops
Re previous draft of letter just sent ..
What I typed was "We are dealing in idiobs here." auto corrected by my computer.
What I intended was "We are dealing in idioms here."
Personally I blame Spellcheck - apologies :eek:

yep , so it was the boss and his secretary having a drink after work - and the secreatary says
"I meant to say "hi dear" , but what came out was
"you made my life a misery you idiot".

Reminds me also
The other excuse for withdrawing a business letter is "spellcheck"

Example :-
"Dear Sirs,
Your letter of 16th instant refers. Thank you for your order for five pairs of boots, but unfortuantely you failed to advise the size.
We are dealing in idiots here.
Yours in eternal humble servitude etc etc "

oops
Re previous draft of letter just sent ..
What I typed was "We are dealing in idiobs here." auto corrected by my computer.
What I intended was "We are dealing in idioms here."
Personally I blame Spellcheck - apologies :eek:
2020, I thought you would go for something stronger on that paragraph.

On spell-check: My Flock browser has a very good spell-checker but I'm having to update it as it can't spell very well.:confused:

A friend of mine, a solicitor, complained about a new secretary:

"I have to correct her grammar - she typed 'we will try to...' I had to change it to 'we will try and...' "

I said it was presumptuous to say 'and', and asked if it were a legally binding statement that they actually had to.

She was correct: 'We will try to...'

His sheepish tail went between his legs... lol ... he's a doll!

So what is the figure of speech when you say "I bought a new set of wheels"?

"with my new plastic" etc ?

Found this word of the day on dictionary.com ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synecdoche
Synecdoche is taken from Greek sinekdohi (συνεκδοχή), meaning "simultaneous understanding" (pronounced /si-nek-duh-kee/) ... a figure of speech in which:

a term denoting a part of something is used to refer to the whole thing, or

a term denoting a thing (a "whole") is used to refer to part of it, or

a term denoting a specific class of thing is used to refer to a larger, more general class, or

a term denoting a general class of thing is used to refer to a smaller, more specific class, or

a term denoting a material is used to refer to an object composed of that material.

Examples where a part of something is used to refer to the whole:
"The ship was lost with all hands [sailors]."
"His parents bought him a new set of wheels [car]."
Similarly, "mouths to feed" for hungry people, ...
Examples where the whole of something is used to refer to a part of it:
"Use your head [brain] to figure it out."
"Michigan [the government of Michigan] just passed a law addressing this problem."
Examples where a species (specific kind) is used to refer to its genus (more general kind):
"castle" for home, "meat" or "bread" for food
Examples where the material from which an object is made is used to refer to the object itself:
"Those are some nice threads [clothes]."
Similarly, "willow" for cricket bat, "boards" for stage, "ivories" for piano keys, "plastic" for credit card, "lead" for a bullet and "rubber" for vehicle tyres.
:2twocents

What about wind as in air and wind wind a clock up or lead as Pb lead astray and lead take the lead.
Then you can have unsinkable 2, or Fighting for Peace, Military Intelligence
No wonder we don't know nothing.

LOOSE is like not tight

LOSE is like not gain

Q. are 50% of people taught to spell lose with double `o`:cool:

I found my post from a while back and find it is still common to see lose spelled incorrectly.Sometimes on purpose I think.:eek: