Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

American Politics

The Republican controlled Congress is at a standstill becasue the Republicans can't find a Speaker. They are simply too divided to agree.
If they can't come to their senses in a few weeks time the US will run out of money and government will start to close down.

This is totally in the hands of the Republican Party.

It's a free-for-all in the GOP speaker race

The further House Republicans go down their bench, the more likely it is that their unprecedented speaker crisis drags past the one-month mark

A recent Poll suggests that Hillarty clinton is one of the top contenders for the Democrats should Biden fall on his sword and not contest the next presidential election.
1700986587737.png

Clinton has just turned 76, and will be 77 when the votes are cast next year.
Should she win the nomination and go on to win the presidency, it would mean at the end of her term, she would be the same age as Biden is now.
In an interesting juxtaposition, another survey has suggested that the American public favour age and term limits on their elected reps.
1700986926429.png

Its a pity the survey did not give a further breakdown as to at what level the term limits and ages should stop.
Mick

A recent Poll suggests that Hillarty clinton is one of the top contenders for the Democrats should Biden fall on his sword and not contest the next presidential election.
View attachment 166235
Should she win the nomination and go on to win the presidency, it would mean at the end of her term, she would be the same age as Biden is now.
In an interesting juxtaposition, another survey has suggested that the American public favour age and term limits on their elected reps.
View attachment 166236

Its a pity the survey did not give a further breakdown as to at what level the term limits and ages should stop.
Mick
How old is the poll? link does not work.

Being looked upon favourably doesn't mean you want them as President. Mitt Romney is right up there also.

Knowing Americans a lot of them would not know the younger ones....yet.

How old is the poll? link does not work.

Being looked upon favourably doesn't mean you want them as President. Mitt Romney is right up there also.

Knowing Americans a lot of them would not know the younger ones....yet.
The bullfinch one was the days between 10 and 14th November. try This HTTPS link to download the full poll.
The harvard harris poll was November 15th Perhaps this link might work.
Mick

I'd be prepared to lay against Hilarious being the nominee.

I've actually taken the $6.60 on offer for Newsome being the communist nomination... and super happy with the $4.20 I got for Trump a while ago for POTUS again

View attachment 166235
View attachment 166236

Mick
The Donald, as a stopped clock is correct twice a day, said something wise yesterday with which I agree. He is opposed to having age limits on candidacy for the presidency. His view is that an idiot is an idiot no matter their age, and that Biden was a dolt as much twenty years ago as he is today.

Clinton is in the peculiar situation of an ostler, destined to have the horse remembered more than she herself. Bill was the consumate devious late twentieth century preppy, willing to sin but not largely so and to achieve minor greatness on a wink to the swamp. She is defined by him and anethema to a significant proportion of the American population, on her own account, and his. Further and blind to herself she is a foolish woman.

There must be a 35 year old, male, godbothering, caucasian and heterosexual Democrat out there who has been faithful to his wife and who has the wit to rule for eight years. I mean how many Americans are there? A dart should suffice in the pick.

gg

US Political Conflict: The Odds of Smart Bipartisan Leadership Are Rising​

The United States has become terribly split by big gaps in incomes, opportunities, and values that have led to political extremism that is reminiscent of the 1930-45 clashes between fascists and communists. This extremism has led to irreconcilable differences, dysfunctional government, and win-at-all-cost domestic power struggles that could lead to some sort of civil war. At the same time, the United States faces great challenges arising from 1) large and rapidly rising government debt that has led to the decreasing value of money (i.e., inflation), 2) great internal and political conflicts over how to deal with the large income, opportunity, and values gaps, 3) external conflicts over how the new world order should work, 4) costly and damaging climate changes, and 5) revolutionary changes in technologies that can either help or hurt us. All these challenges need to be well managed. For these reasons, I believe that next year's US elections will be the most important in our lifetimes because their results will lead to either a) dysfunctional fighting that will take us over the edge or b) smart bipartisan leadership that will manage these challenges capably.

The Future

As I see it:

1) There is only one path to successful leadership in the United States and that is for there to be strong, smart, bipartisan leadership that works against the extremists to pull the country together and make major reforms to the system so that it works well for most Americans.

2) If we don't get that, there is an uncomfortably high chance of some type of civil war with the extremists fighting and the moderates getting caught in the crossfire.

3) If either Donald Trump or Joe Biden is elected, it will be bad for the country because it will not give us the smart, bipartisan leadership that we need as the majority of Americans don’t want either of them as president. It is also clear from the polling that a majority don't want extremism.

4) The betting odds now strongly favor one of them being elected, though which of the two is anyone’s guess. In either case, I believe the election of either will sustain the extreme irreconcilable polarity that will lead to dysfunctional leadership and bad outcomes.

However, it now appears to me that there is an emerging dark horse possibility that my “dream scenario” could come to pass. To be clear, for my dream scenario to come true, there would have to be smart, bipartisan leadership on both sides controlling their parties so that they operate in smart bipartisan ways. So, rather than rooting for any one candidate or any one side, I am rooting for smart bipartisanship on both sides.

Here is why I think the odds of this are improving. For it to happen, a few elements have to come together:

The Republicans Replacing Trump with a Strong Candidate Who Can Work across Party Lines

The senior Republicans who quietly pray that Trump won’t be the nominee and the candidates who are running against Trump have agreed that all the primary candidates except the leading one should drop out early — either after Iowa and New Hampshire or, maybe, after South Carolina — so that Super Tuesday and beyond will be a head-on fight. A lot of money is already being gathered to put behind the Trump alternative once he or she emerges. Then, the real primary race will begin.

While, to be clear, I am not endorsing anyone, I believe that Nikki Haley is the most likely contender and I believe she fits the bill because she is very smart, very practical, has a great moral compass, and can work well across party lines. She also has a practical understanding of world affairs and domestic economic affairs gained by being the US ambassador to the UN and by creating economic development programs as governor of South Carolina. If she defeats Trump for the nomination, Goliath will have fallen, and everything will have changed.

The Democrats Replacing Biden with a Strong Candidate Who Can Work across Party Lines

This is a rising, but still very unlikely possibility. It is a rising possibility because on the Democratic side there is a growing realization that Biden could easily lose against a non-Trump candidate like Nikki Haley (and, possibly, to Trump, as well) and that he is probably too old to be up to the challenges of another term. It’s also clear that the electorate would rather pick his successor than have Kamala Harris, whose favorability is worse than Biden’s, replace him. Also, his policies related to debt, inflation, and foreign affairs have created dissatisfaction. So, the conversations about replacing Biden, though not advanced, are now happening. It remains a long shot possibility because Biden doesn’t want to step down and it’s late in the game to make such a change, but this very longshot possibility is emerging. Because of that, there are already five contenders who are jockeying for position, one or two who would fit the bill of being reasonably smart, practical, and inclined to work well across party lines. Also, the Democrats have a smart, strong, and bipartisan House minority leader in Hakeem Jeffries who will almost certainly be on the other side of the Republican team in one way or another. For these reasons, the possibility of both Republicans and Democrats fielding smart teams that can work well across party lines and against the extremists doesn’t look so remote.

The United States has become terribly split by big gaps in incomes, opportunities, and values that have led to political extremism that is reminiscent of the 1930-45 clashes between fascists and communists. This extremism has led to irreconcilable differences, dysfunctional government, and win-at-all-cost domestic power struggles that could lead to some sort of civil war. At the same time, the United States faces great challenges arising from 1) large and rapidly rising government debt that has led to the decreasing value of money (i.e., inflation), 2) great internal and political conflicts over how to deal with the large income, opportunity, and values gaps, 3) external conflicts over how the new world order should work, 4) costly and damaging climate changes, and 5) revolutionary changes in technologies that can either help or hurt us. All these challenges need to be well managed. For these reasons, I believe that next year's US elections will be the most important in our lifetimes because their results will lead to either a) dysfunctional fighting that will take us over the edge or b) smart bipartisan leadership that will manage these challenges capably.

The Future

As I see it:

1) There is only one path to successful leadership in the United States and that is for there to be strong, smart, bipartisan leadership that works against the extremists to pull the country together and make major reforms to the system so that it works well for most Americans.

2) If we don't get that, there is an uncomfortably high chance of some type of civil war with the extremists fighting and the moderates getting caught in the crossfire.

3) If either Donald Trump or Joe Biden is elected, it will be bad for the country because it will not give us the smart, bipartisan leadership that we need as the majority of Americans don’t want either of them as president. It is also clear from the polling that a majority don't want extremism.

4) The betting odds now strongly favor one of them being elected, though which of the two is anyone’s guess. In either case, I believe the election of either will sustain the extreme irreconcilable polarity that will lead to dysfunctional leadership and bad outcomes.

However, it now appears to me that there is an emerging dark horse possibility that my “dream scenario” could come to pass. To be clear, for my dream scenario to come true, there would have to be smart, bipartisan leadership on both sides controlling their parties so that they operate in smart bipartisan ways. So, rather than rooting for any one candidate or any one side, I am rooting for smart bipartisanship on both sides.

Here is why I think the odds of this are improving. For it to happen, a few elements have to come together:

The Republicans Replacing Trump with a Strong Candidate Who Can Work across Party Lines

The senior Republicans who quietly pray that Trump won’t be the nominee and the candidates who are running against Trump have agreed that all the primary candidates except the leading one should drop out early — either after Iowa and New Hampshire or, maybe, after South Carolina — so that Super Tuesday and beyond will be a head-on fight. A lot of money is already being gathered to put behind the Trump alternative once he or she emerges. Then, the real primary race will begin.

While, to be clear, I am not endorsing anyone, I believe that Nikki Haley is the most likely contender and I believe she fits the bill because she is very smart, very practical, has a great moral compass, and can work well across party lines. She also has a practical understanding of world affairs and domestic economic affairs gained by being the US ambassador to the UN and by creating economic development programs as governor of South Carolina. If she defeats Trump for the nomination, Goliath will have fallen, and everything will have changed.

The Democrats Replacing Biden with a Strong Candidate Who Can Work across Party Lines

This is a rising, but still very unlikely possibility. It is a rising possibility because on the Democratic side there is a growing realization that Biden could easily lose against a non-Trump candidate like Nikki Haley (and, possibly, to Trump, as well) and that he is probably too old to be up to the challenges of another term. It’s also clear that the electorate would rather pick his successor than have Kamala Harris, whose favorability is worse than Biden’s, replace him. Also, his policies related to debt, inflation, and foreign affairs have created dissatisfaction. So, the conversations about replacing Biden, though not advanced, are now happening. It remains a long shot possibility because Biden doesn’t want to step down and it’s late in the game to make such a change, but this very longshot possibility is emerging. Because of that, there are already five contenders who are jockeying for position, one or two who would fit the bill of being reasonably smart, practical, and inclined to work well across party lines. Also, the Democrats have a smart, strong, and bipartisan House minority leader in Hakeem Jeffries who will almost certainly be on the other side of the Republican team in one way or another. For these reasons, the possibility of both Republicans and Democrats fielding smart teams that can work well across party lines and against the extremists doesn’t look so remote.

Kudos for the thought process, unfortunately faulted in a major way.

There is no chance at this point in time for a bipartisan approach to anything, the sides are too far apart.

Where can argue about whose fault that is, but nevertheless it is true. It might be a dick head or two before this is resolved in a bipartisan way.

Meanwhile, buckle up.

The Future

As I see it:

The only other point that occurred to me @IFocus was that if the Democrats chose another over Biden, that it may be enough to tip Biden in to frank and complete senility, where his dementia precluded him from rising from his bed let alone competently rule.

In that scenario Harris would rule for the 12 months left to the next election.

Expect the unexpected in extraordinary times ... Quote ... Garpal Gumnut 2023

gg

The only other point that occurred to me @IFocus was that if the Democrats chose another over Biden, that it may be enough to tip Biden in to frank and complete senility, where his dementia precluded him from rising from his bed let alone competently rule.

In that scenario Harris would rule for the 12 months left to the next election.

Expect the unexpected in extraordinary times ... Quote ... Garpal Gumnut 2023

gg
i reckon either of them could die suddenly.

George Santos gone.
Another victim of the swamp, deep state and the MSM.

He isn't giving up.
During a press conference Santos did earlier this week, the politician said that he wouldn’t rest “until I see Donald Trump back in the White House.”

His was a success story like no other. A true MAGA Stopped in his tracks by the swamp and MSM showing their typical bias by reporting on him.

Each of those 105 Republicans who voted with the Dems to get rid of him will get whats coming for them.
The 112 loyal Republicans who voted to keep him in will be guaranteed a great future when Trump comes back to power.

Last edited:
For four years now Donald Trump ran a series of court cases alleging fraud in the 2020 elections. None were successful. It appears many of the cases involved lawyers presenting knowingly false representations to the court.

These lawyers are now facing disciplinary proceedings which will results in sanctions, censures and possible disbarment.

Donald Trump can make up all sorts of lies and BS. His lawyers however have to present factual information to courts. Unless of course Trump wins the next election and he never has to face any court ever again for anything. :)

DC bar authorities file disciplinary charges against pro-Trump 2020 election lawyers

The charges are the latest in a slew of disciplinary proceedings against attorneys who aided Donald Trump’s bid to subvert the election.
a5c544d95bf94b5802466b923%2Fuseuntil02-15-2024-062.jpg

The new charges are the latest in a series of disciplinary proceedings filed against attorneys who directly and indirectly aided former President Donald Trump’s bid to subvert the 2020 election. | Jamie Kelter Davis for POLITICO
By Kyle Cheney
01/19/2024 03:38 PM EST

Washington, D.C., bar investigators have filed disciplinary charges against three lawyers who aided Donald Trump ally Sidney Powell’s campaign to mount discredited legal challenges to the 2020 election results.

Filings made public Friday accused attorneys Juli Haller, Lawrence Joseph and Brandon Johnson of making knowingly false representations to courts about a slew of lawsuits they filed in the weeks after the 2020 election.

Joseph was most directly involved in a lawsuit brought by then-Rep. Louie Gohmert against then-Vice President Mike Pence, seeking to force Pence’s hand as Trump was pressuring him to assert unprecedented authority to choose the winner of the election. The suit was dismissed by a federal district court judge and appeals court panel before stalling at the Supreme Court on Jan. 6, 2021.

Haller, meanwhile, was instrumental in Powell’s so-called “Kraken” lawsuits, the nickname she gave to the campaign of ultimately unsuccessful litigation aimed at undoing Joe Biden’s victories in several swing states. After her stint with Powell, Haller represented a handful of Jan. 6 defendants — including Oath Keeper Kelly Meggs, who was ultimately convicted of seditious conspiracy — before moving to America First Legal Foundation, the Trump-aligned outfit started by former White House adviser Stephen Miller.
Johnson joined Haller in many of the Powell-related lawsuits and filings.

The new charges are the latest in a series of disciplinary proceedings filed across the country against attorneys who directly and indirectly aided Trump’s bid to subvert the 2020 election. Trump campaign lawyer Jenna Ellis was admonished by Colorado authorities after admitting to making false representations about election fraud in 2020. John Eastman, an architect of Trump’s last-ditch bid to block Biden’s Electoral College win, was found culpable for violating professional ethics after a lengthy trial in California and faces a final judgment in the next few weeks. And Rudy Giuliani was suspended from practicing law in New York and Washington, D.C. after proceedings that questioned his 2020 work on Trump’s behalf in Pennsylvania.

An FBI informant made up a multi million dollar bribery story around Joe Biden and Hunter Biden and a Ukranian energy company.
He is now on trial for his lies. Turns out he seems to have connections with Russian intelligence.

FBI informant who lied about Bidens’ Ukraine ties had contact with Russians – prosecutors

Prosecutors reveal alleged ties to Russian intelligence-affiliated persons to urge US judge to deny Alexander Smirnov’s release

Associated Press
Wed 21 Feb 2024 11.28 AEDTLast modified on Wed 21 Feb 2024 11.39 AEDT

A former FBI informant charged with making up a multimillion-dollar bribery scheme involving Joe Biden, his son Hunter and a Ukrainian energy company had contacts with officials affiliated with Russian intelligence, prosecutors said in a court paper on Tuesday.

2888.jpg
FBI informant charged with lying about Bidens’ role in Ukraine business

Read more

Prosecutors revealed the alleged contact as they urged a judge to keep Alexander Smirnov behind bars while he awaits trial. He’s charged with falsely reporting to the FBI in June 2020 that executives associated with the Ukrainian energy company Burisma paid Hunter and the president $5m each in 2015 or 2016. The claim has been central to the Republican impeachment inquiry in Congress.

Smirnov is due in court later Tuesday in Las Vegas. He has been in custody at a facility in rural Pahrump, about an hour west of Las Vegas, since his arrest last week at the airport while returning from overseas.

David Chesnoff and Richard Schonfeld, the defense attorneys, said in a statement ahead of the hearing that they were asking for Smirnov’s release while he awaits trial “so he can effectively fight the power of the government”.

Prosecutors said that during an interview before his arrest last week, Smirnov admitted that “officials associated with Russian intelligence were involved in passing a story” about Hunter. They said Smirnov’s contacts with Russian officials were recent and extensive and said Smirnov had planned to meet with one official during an upcoming overseas trip.

They said Smirnov has had numerous contacts with a person he described as the “son of a former high-ranking government official” and “someone with ties to a particular Russian intelligence service”. They said there is a serious risk that Smirnov could flee overseas to avoid facing trial.

The White House didn’t immediately comment on the claims in Tuesday’s court filing.

Prosecutors say Smirnov, who holds dual US-Israeli citizenship, falsely reported to the FBI in June 2020 that executives associated with the Ukrainian energy company Burisma paid Hunter and Joe Biden $5m each in 2015 or 2016.

Smirnov in fact had only routine business dealings with the company starting in 2017 and made the bribery allegations after he “expressed bias” against Joe Biden while he was a presidential candidate, prosecutors said in court documents. He is charged with making a false statement and creating a false and fictitious record. The charges were filed in Los Angeles, where he lived for 16 years before relocating to Las Vegas two years ago.

Smirnov’s claims have been central to the Republican effort in Congress to investigate the president and his family, and helped spark what is now a House impeachment inquiry into Biden. Democrats called for an end to the investigation after the indictment came down last week, while Republicans distanced the inquiry from Smirnov’s claims and said they would continue to “follow the facts”.

Hunter is expected to give a deposition next week.

The Burisma allegations became a flashpoint in Congress as Republicans pursuing investigations of the president and his family demanded the FBI release the un-redacted form documenting the allegations. They acknowledged they couldn’t confirm if the allegations were true.

An FBI informant made up a multi million dollar bribery story around Joe Biden and Hunter Biden and a Ukranian energy company.
He is now on trial for his lies. Turns out he seems to have connections with Russian intelligence.

FBI informant who lied about Bidens’ Ukraine ties had contact with Russians – prosecutors

Prosecutors reveal alleged ties to Russian intelligence-affiliated persons to urge US judge to deny Alexander Smirnov’s release

Associated Press

A former FBI informant charged with making up a multimillion-dollar bribery scheme involving Joe Biden, his son Hunter and a Ukrainian energy company had contacts with officials affiliated with Russian intelligence, prosecutors said in a court paper on Tuesday.
View attachment 171298
Read more

Prosecutors revealed the alleged contact as they urged a judge to keep Alexander Smirnov behind bars while he awaits trial. He’s charged with falsely reporting to the FBI in June 2020 that executives associated with the Ukrainian energy company Burisma paid Hunter and the president $5m each in 2015 or 2016. The claim has been central to the Republican impeachment inquiry in Congress.

Smirnov is due in court later Tuesday in Las Vegas. He has been in custody at a facility in rural Pahrump, about an hour west of Las Vegas, since his arrest last week at the airport while returning from overseas.

David Chesnoff and Richard Schonfeld, the defense attorneys, said in a statement ahead of the hearing that they were asking for Smirnov’s release while he awaits trial “so he can effectively fight the power of the government”.

Prosecutors said that during an interview before his arrest last week, Smirnov admitted that “officials associated with Russian intelligence were involved in passing a story” about Hunter. They said Smirnov’s contacts with Russian officials were recent and extensive and said Smirnov had planned to meet with one official during an upcoming overseas trip.

They said Smirnov has had numerous contacts with a person he described as the “son of a former high-ranking government official” and “someone with ties to a particular Russian intelligence service”. They said there is a serious risk that Smirnov could flee overseas to avoid facing trial.

The White House didn’t immediately comment on the claims in Tuesday’s court filing.

Prosecutors say Smirnov, who holds dual US-Israeli citizenship, falsely reported to the FBI in June 2020 that executives associated with the Ukrainian energy company Burisma paid Hunter and Joe Biden $5m each in 2015 or 2016.

Smirnov in fact had only routine business dealings with the company starting in 2017 and made the bribery allegations after he “expressed bias” against Joe Biden while he was a presidential candidate, prosecutors said in court documents. He is charged with making a false statement and creating a false and fictitious record. The charges were filed in Los Angeles, where he lived for 16 years before relocating to Las Vegas two years ago.

Smirnov’s claims have been central to the Republican effort in Congress to investigate the president and his family, and helped spark what is now a House impeachment inquiry into Biden. Democrats called for an end to the investigation after the indictment came down last week, while Republicans distanced the inquiry from Smirnov’s claims and said they would continue to “follow the facts”.

The Burisma allegations became a flashpoint in Congress as Republicans pursuing investigations of the president and his family demanded the FBI release the un-redacted form documenting the allegations. They acknowledged they couldn’t confirm if the allegations were true.

Ah, the Russians again.
Ok for the Democrats to create lies about Russian involvement by everyone else, and of course have it all taken as gospel by the intelligence community.
Just like the intelligence about the WMD, or the supposed orderly withdrawal from Afghanistan.
Its all a giant game of bull$hit.
Mick

Associated Press

View attachment 171298
Read more

Yea, its getting ridiculous. Should be 10 years jail minimum....and not the first time. Not by as long shot.
No wonder Trump want to throw Ukraine to the wolves in exchange.

Associated Press

View attachment 171298
Read more

It's not an admission of innocence the fbi won't release the un-redacted version. They are hiding it.