Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

2024 Olympic Games

I'm enjoying the diving at the moment. There seems to bit a little bit of skill required. Maybe they could add a skateboard to their dives for an extra level of difficulty.

The Japanese and French are closing in on our third position.

I'm enjoying the diving at the moment. There seems to bit a little bit of skill required. Maybe they could add a skateboard to their dives for an extra level of difficulty.

The Japanese and French are closing in on our third position.
After watching the swimming and some of the diving and beach volley ball, She and me both wondered out loud are these female athletes preparing for a career in strip tease.
We are not prudes by any stretch of the imagination, but the bottom bits of gear appear to be getting more and more skimpy.

I love the Marathon. Those guys are amazing. Did you see the winner run up that hill! I think the women's Marathon is 4pm tonight.

After watching the swimming and some of the diving and beach volley ball, She and me both wondered out loud are these female athletes preparing for a career in strip tease.
We are not prudes by any stretch of the imagination, but the bottom bits of gear appear to be getting more and more skimpy.

Maybe there's some aerodynamic considerations involved? Or, they're trying to divert the attention of the judges. Or, sponsorship? I actually think there are rules for costumes in the beach volleyball. They have to wear that stuff, which is OK by me.

Maybe there's some aerodynamic considerations involved? Or, they're trying to divert the attention of the judges. Or, sponsorship? I actually think there are rules for costumes in the beach volleyball. They have to wear that stuff, which is OK by me.
Some of the females wore g-strings and others didn't

SportParis 2024
OPINION The Age
I am Raygun. proud after Olympic debut

Her routine at the first, and possibly last, Olympic breaking event has taken the world by storm, with B-girl Raygun becoming an overnight sensation for her have-a-go Aussie attitude. © International Olympic Committee

Dr Rachael Gunn, aka Raygun, is a 36-year-old Sydneysider with a PhD in cultural studies, “interested in the cultural politics of breaking”.

I loved her. Funny, enthusiastic, proud to be there, joyful, and, if you actually have any understanding of what Breaking ACTUALLY is, totally in keeping with the sport. It is meant to have those kinds of moves that represent your heritage, lineage and culture, your 'tribe' or 'gang' or 'posse', and it is meant to be funny, to gently 'take the piss' out of your opponents. That is actually a key part of the sport. Whether or not that was a key part of the Olympic version of the sport is another question, but she actually showcased the sport in a really rounded way. Of course, like with most Olympic sports I knew none of this prior to watching it, and am now obviously an armchair expert, but it was her performance that inspired me to do a bit of deep dive. Thanks, Raygun. Bloody brilliant. Haters gonna hate - stuff 'em.

SportParis 2024
OPINION The Age

Her routine at the first, and possibly last, Olympic breaking event has taken the world by storm, with B-girl Raygun becoming an overnight sensation for her have-a-go Aussie attitude. © International Olympic Committee

Dr Rachael Gunn, aka Raygun, is a 36-year-old Sydneysider with a PhD in cultural studies, “interested in the cultural politics of breaking”.

I loved her. Funny, enthusiastic, proud to be there, joyful, and, if you actually have any understanding of what Breaking ACTUALLY is, totally in keeping with the sport. It is meant to have those kinds of moves that represent your heritage, lineage and culture, your 'tribe' or 'gang' or 'posse', and it is meant to be funny, to gently 'take the piss' out of your opponents. That is actually a key part of the sport. Whether or not that was a key part of the Olympic version of the sport is another question, but she actually showcased the sport in a really rounded way. Of course, like with most Olympic sports I knew none of this prior to watching it, and am now obviously an armchair expert, but it was her performance that inspired me to do a bit of deep dive. Thanks, Raygun. Bloody brilliant. Haters gonna hate - stuff 'em.
Though we watched bits and pieces of the Olympic Games telecast, our thoughts were that the service provided was pretty ho-hum.
Plenty of chatter between the commentators looking at each other rather than at the camera.
We realise that there is a significant time difference but with 4 channels televising Ch 9 could have done a far better job.
No elephant stamp from us on this.

Though we watched bits and pieces of the Olympic Games telecast, our thoughts were that the service provided was pretty ho-hum.
Plenty of chatter between the commentators looking at each other rather than at the camera.
We realise that there is a significant time difference but with 4 channels televising Ch 9 could have done a far better job.
No elephant stamp from us on this.
Agree 100%. I was getting extremely frustrated with the extremely long breaks in the Marathons.
They would come back and everything had changed and we missed it. And the chatter was awful.

Paris 2024, Olympic medals per capita​

CountryTotal medalsPopulation per medal
Grenada256,289
Dominica167,408
Saint Lucia292,050
New Zealand20266,945
Bahrain4425,393
Jamaica6470,924
Cape Verde1491,233
Hungary19504,454
Australia53516,313
Georgia7527,800
Source: Medalspercapita.com

Paris 2024, Olympic medals per capita​

CountryTotal medalsPopulation per medal
Grenada256,289
Dominica167,408
Saint Lucia292,050
New Zealand20266,945
Bahrain4425,393
Jamaica6470,924
Cape Verde1491,233
Hungary19504,454
Australia53516,313
Georgia7527,800
Source: Medalspercapita.com

Hungary goes very well. Many of the others there are within the margin of error type range with a very small number of medals.

Now that the farcical Paris Olympic games is done and dusted we no longer have to listen to the belly aching of only a gold medal is good enough.
Fortunately, the "real" Olympics start in a couple of weeks,
The Para Olympic Games which, I consider has the true athletes contesting the events.
How these people can do what they do is truly amazing

I liked Raygun.
She didn't get a single point for her breakdancing.
Go Australia !

I haven't seen her 'performance' yet, but I really want to.

It had something to do with a kangaroo.

Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 11.28.51 PM.png

SportParis 2024
OPINION The Age

Thought it was absolute rubbish👎

@Sean K The embarrassing bit that I saw was enough for me.
I reckon the judges got it right.
Perhaps a minus score would have been truer.
Now she has been on national US TV even more embarrassing.

I've seen most of it now and she must have been taking the piss. It wasn't sport or athletic and it wasn't even creative dance. Maybe she realised she had no hope of winning with her best routine so just wanted to be noticed for something, which she definitely has.

She's got a PhD in intersexual gender breaking or something so that might explain it all.

I've seen most of it now and she must have been taking the piss. It wasn't sport or athletic and it wasn't even creative dance. Maybe she realised she had no hope of winning with her best routine so just wanted to be noticed for something, which she definitely has.

She's got a PhD in intersexual gender breaking or something so that might explain it all.
No, breakingas in dance.. She is a Prefessor and a lecturer at Macquarie University. She has also written papers , as a Professor on hip hop and street dance and works as a professional dancer on the side.
Believe it or not, she did win the Oceana competition to get selected.