Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Who are you voting for in the Federal election?

Who do you intend to vote for?

• Labor

Votes: 59 37.3%
  • Liberal

Votes: 75 47.5%
  • Other

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 11 7.0%

• Total voters

Considering this second poll was established to give a clearer intention of voting patterns and has now been up for over three days and covers the "very unpopular" handover to Mr Costello - the air doesn't appear to smell of a wild breathtaking sweep of power to Labor as the media would like you to think.

From where I sit in Qld - I'm just not seeing the underlying shift from the Coalition. You can have big swings all you like in seats of no importance but Labor still needs the big change of seats in Qld.

View attachment 13170

But seriously this champion of the people is sure to deliver an Australia we all want.

Better than the other teams plan whatever that maybe? Perhaps liberating the middle east and providing Oil security or something?

:D

I reckon Darryl Kerrigan would call Kevin - a real "ideas" man.....just like his son Steve. Both really nice blokes I'm sure......but not for PM thanks.

But seriously, Kevin is certainly bringing his strengths to the top job. Red Tape.:D I hear today that he has announced the formation of yet another committee - this one will report to the Government on where the real skills shortages are.

I would suggest if Labor gets in - the most serious skills shortage will be getting enough people to fill the positions for all the management committees, government inquries, steering committees, reporting departments and advisory sections that Kevin has announced over the past 6 months.

He sure is an "ideas man". Unfortunately to borrow from a journalist in The Australian during the week - He prefers sound bite over sound policy. :D:D

Duckman

So as a Queenslander how do you feel about the virtual Guarantee by Johnny to supply you with a bunch of Nuclear reactors?

:confused:

Considering this second poll was established to give a clearer intention of voting patterns and has now been up for over three days and covers the "very unpopular" handover to Mr Costello - the air doesn't appear to smell of a wild breathtaking sweep of power to Labor as the media would like you to think.

From where I sit in Qld - I'm just not seeing the underlying shift from the Coalition. You can have big swings all you like in seats of no importance but Labor still needs the big change of seats in Qld.

Hmmm. I suspect this forum would be represented by only a very small minority of young, poorer folk :), shift workers, service industry workers or other "typical" labor supporters from blue collar backgrounds or unions amongst it's members. I bet most labour supporters in here would be "middle class, tending to middle-aged, swinging voters".

So, In a way I'm not surprised the two polls in this forum have so far disagreed with what the "general community" polls might be showing.

Interestink, nevertheless.

JC

I wouldnt be surprised If Johnny "big brows" Howard calls the Election during school holidays in the hope that familys on Holiday will forget to vote.

Interesting to look back on Johnny Howard's career...

this one from 2004. much still relevant
handing over leadership etc
should JH have handed over to PC -
when - is it too late etc .
these and many other questions folks will be answered in the next few months lol

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/03/16/1079199221432.html?from=storyrhs

Can John Howard ignore the siren song of power?
March 17, 2004
The Howard doubters are out again, and he's determined to prove them wrong again, writes Paul Strangio.

Patricidal leadership struggles are part of the stuff of politics - that point when the next generation decides their claims are superior to the previous, when the ambition of the young can no longer wait for the old who stubbornly "block up the hall".

History suggests these struggles are usually bitter and messy. In the 1960s Arthur Calwell and Gough Whitlam coexisted uneasily for seven years as leader and deputy leader of the federal ALP; in the final three years the relationship was poisonous, Calwell boiling over with resentment at Whitlam's open coveting of his job.

Then, during the late 1980s and early '90s, we witnessed the protracted Hawke-Keating duel. And now the Liberal Party is faced with the running sore of the Howard-Costello rivalry.

We ought not be surprised by any of this. It is not in the nature of politicians to go gently into the political good night, and certainly not those who by force of ambition and self-belief have scaled the greasy pole. In a domain so gladiatorial, where a masculine culture prevails, the old bull will never easily concede to the young.

Consider Bob Hawke. By the 1990s it was evident that his love affair with the people had lost its lustre, but the Don Juan of Australian politics refused to accept that his charms had waned or that the public was no longer infatuated.

It is telling, too, that the habit of Australian PMs has not been to leave office through dignified retirement, but instead to cling on until either defeated in the electorate or the party room, or death intervenes.

Robert Menzies is the obvious exception, going of his own volition in 1966. On closer inspection, however, even that relinquishment might have been a sleight of hand.

He had stayed for so long, stymieing potential successors, sidelining the talented and promoting the pedestrian. He surrounded himself, in Donald Horne's memorable phrase, "with a firebreak of mediocrity". It became almost inevitable that, when he finally exited, those who followed were doomed to be lost in his long shadow. The departed Menzies haunted his heirs; he hovered, reminding them of their unworthiness.

So, John Howard's checking of Peter Costello is faithful to a long-established tradition. But one suspects that it is equally shaped by Howard's personal political history.

In May he will celebrate three decades in Parliament - more than two-thirds spent waiting to be PM. As Mungo MacCallum writes in The Howard Years, despite precocious progress in the Fraser government, Howard has "had to struggle all the way" on that journey.

The 1980s and early '90s were largely barren, including humiliation by his colleagues as he vied for the leadership with Andrew Peacock and then was passed over for John Hewson and Alexander Downer.

Yet Howard persisted. MacCallum writes that he "hung on and hung on" until finally, in 1995, "the party completely ran out of alternatives. Howard was the least wanted of all possible leaders, but he was the only one left - the last man standing."

This persistence, this iron-like will to surmount setbacks that would have broken most, hardly equates with someone who will lightly surrender a prize so long cherished. It also suggests a politician who, despite trading on his ordinariness, has never conceived himself so. Rather, it betrays one who believes in himself utterly - even while others so often haven't.

In this mismatch between Howard's self-conception and the way the world long perceived him rests another clue to why he can be expected to rage against the dying of the political light. Howard's career can be read as one of endlessly proving himself, an uphill battle to confound his many doubters and, indeed, his mockers.

Unprepossessing and accused of harbouring an antediluvian world view, he was routinely sneered at on the journey to the top. He was dubbed "little Johnny" and ridiculed as a throwback to the '50s.

In this sense, ascending the political ladder has been a way of "showing" the doubters, as well as a means to exact revenge on the mockers.
Indeed, the latter is possibly one key to unlocking the vindictive quality of Howard's prime ministership: the desire for retribution against those groups and institutions congregated by the cultural "elites" who so adored his chief tormentor, the flamboyant Paul Keating.

Even as Prime Minister, though, silencing the doubters and mockers initially eluded Howard. His early years in office were chequered. At best he seemed to have earned grudging respect and been rewarded as a trier. The public's enthusiasm for him was still muted, while his detractors muttered that he was not prime ministerial material. He appeared especially out of place on the world stage; the "elites" cringed, complaining he was not statesmanlike.

Not until 2001 did he lay the doubts to rest. With the political landscape disfigured by terrorism and asylum seekers, Howard assumed an aura of invincibility; he metamorphosed into the "man of steel". The years of scorn and ridicule were vanquished. True, his opponents loathed him more than ever, but they accepted his omnipotence, fuming at the spectre of him remaking Australia for the worse.

Admirers and critics acknowledged him as supreme. For Howard it must have seemed the world had at last grasped what he had always known.

Now, things are in flux again (even the politics of terrorism are unpredictable), and the Howard doubters have returned. Once more he is out to show them, to prove them wrong.

The problem is this urge, similar to ambition and power, is never likely to be fully sated, never satisfied. More likely it will be the siren song that lures him on to the folly of so many leaders before him: staying on when his time has passed.

As I said this was written in 2004
and he went on to win then
will he do it again ? lol

The following is an item from the "Courier Mail" 15-16 September.

"ALP a Union of Unionists"

Anna Bligh's friend Greg Combet will be one of three former ACTU presidents in Parliament if he wins the Hunter Valley seat of Charlton at the federal election.

With Kevin Rudd cruising to victory his cabinet will be dominated by former union heavyweights and party hacks including
Julia Gillard (AUS president)
Wayne Swan (former ALP state secretary)
Joe Ludwig (AWU)
Arch Bevis (QTU)
Simon Crean (ACTU president)
Martin Ferguson (ACTU president)
Lindsay Tanner (FCU)
Anthony Albanese (former asst. gen. secretary NSW ALP)
Tanya Plibersek (student union official)
Tony Burk (SDAEU)
Chris Evans (MWU)
Alan Griffin (FCU)
Kerry O'Brien (MWU)
Nick Sherry (FLATU)
Kate Lundy (CFMEU)

Unionists contesting seats in the federal election are
Doug Cameron (AMWU)
Bill Shorten (AWU)
Richard Marles (TWU).

Rudd insists unionists won't exert too much influence.
Of course not."

I hadn't realised quite the extent of the union domination of the ALP
until I read the above and find it pretty unnerving.

Also agree with Duckman's comments about the inevitable proliferation of committees, enquiries etc under Kevin Rudd, most of which will cost us many dollars and provide little outcome.

The way John Howard is looking at present, I'd welcome a switch to Costello. Never thought I'd say that!

Also agree with Duckman's comments about the inevitable proliferation of committees, enquiries etc under Kevin Rudd, most of which will cost us many dollars and provide little outcome.

C'mon guy's committees aren't that expensive. :)

If he starts talking too many judicial enquiries and royal commissions, then I might start thinking expensive.:mad:

So as a Queenslander how do you feel about the virtual Guarantee by Johnny to supply you with a bunch of Nuclear reactors ?

:confused:

Hi Cruncher

It really is of no concern to me in this upcoming election.

The "virtual guarantee of a bunch of nuclear reactors" is a classic case of "the sky is falling" election scaremongering.

I would much prefer to vote Coalition for its policies and economic management rather than take up those of Labor. To me the nuclear debate isn't an important election issue. (And if you were really concerned about nuclear power you shouldn't be entertaining voting Labor's either given they are happy shipping it all over the world - or is that OK, just not near your place?)

Certainly I am not without understanding views on climate change, greenhouse emissions, nuclear energy - but I won't be railroaded into change at any cost.

Duckman

Hi Cruncher

The "virtual guarantee of a bunch of nuclear reactors" is a classic case of "the sky is falling" election scaremongering.

Hi Duckman,

Why then are you as the tax payer providing perfectly good money towards Australia's participation in the Generation IV advanced nuclear reactor research program if its just scaremongering ?

And did you know that Johnny monobrow now has the United States backing to join the Global Nuclear Energy Partnership (GNEP) and membership of the GNEP could force Australia to establish uranium enrichment plants and accept the world's nuclear waste – on top of the 25 nuclear reactors that Johnny already wants to build.

Not the Australia i want im afraid.

Interesting how things have evened up since the last poll... particularly from the beginning of the last poll which was wildly pro-Labor.

A small sample still, but I think it shows this election may be tighter than many think it will be. Plenty of mud sticking to both sides now to make it really interesting.

I'd bet there are many like me. If asked right now if I'd vote Laboral or Libor, I'd say one thing, but might not actually carry it out when it comes down to it.

:2twocents

Anna Bligh's friend Greg Combet will be one of three former ACTU presidents in Parliament if he wins the Hunter Valley seat of Charlton at the federal election.

With Kevin Rudd cruising to victory his cabinet will be dominated by former union heavyweights and party hacks including
Joe Ludwig (AWU)
Arch Bevis (QTU)
Lindsay Tanner (FCU)
Tony Burk (SDAEU)
Chris Evans (MWU)
Alan Griffin (FCU)
Kerry O'Brien (MWU)
Nick Sherry (FLATU)
Kate Lundy (CFMEU)

Doug Cameron (AMWU)
Bill Shorten (AWU)
Richard Marles (TWU).

Of course not."

Hi Julia

I just received a flyer in our letterbox today about a "Community and Family Fun Day" at the local park.....3pm till late......free amusement rides, fairy floss, ice-creams, sausage sizzle, bar operating between 6pm and 11pm with live band playing .........and you get to meet the local Labor Candidate.

All proudly sponsored and paid for by the CFMEU.

You can smell the Unions ever increasing desperation to get Labor re-elected........and the desperation gives me cause for concern. Will Big Kev be able to keep them under control? Yeah right!!:rolleyes:

Whiskers - the problem I have about all the committees that Kevin has established, does not relate to the waste of money (although there is that). My problem is that just by announcing all these enquiries and establishing all these committees - nothing is actually getting fixed. It looks great on the 6:00 news, "Kevin Rudd is to get tough on grocery prices", "Kevin Rudd will look into petrol price discrepancies" etc etc etc. The media lap it up, the voters lap it up and Kev looks like the messiah. Setting up a "committee to investigate" is a type of poor mans policy. A stop gap designed to plug a problem - and there are a heap of stop gaps required in Labor's policies.

Regards
Duckman

Hi Julia

I just received a flyer in our letterbox today about a "Community and Family Fun Day" at the local park.....3pm till late......free amusement rides, fairy floss, ice-creams, sausage sizzle, bar operating between 6pm and 11pm with live band playing .........and you get to meet the local Labor Candidate.

All proudly sponsored and paid for by the CFMEU.

You can smell the Unions ever increasing desperation to get Labor re-elected........and the desperation gives me cause for concern. Will Big Kev be able to keep them under control? Yeah right!!:rolleyes:

Whiskers - the problem I have about all the committees that Kevin has established, does not relate to the waste of money (although there is that). My problem is that just by announcing all these enquiries and establishing all these committees - nothing is actually getting fixed. It looks great on the 6:00 news, "Kevin Rudd is to get tough on grocery prices", "Kevin Rudd will look into petrol price discrepancies" etc etc etc. The media lap it up, the voters lap it up and Kev looks like the messiah. Setting up a "committee to investigate" is a type of poor mans policy. A stop gap designed to plug a problem - and there are a heap of stop gaps required in Labor's policies.

Regards
Duckman

Tonight on prime time TV the number of Commonwealth Government Community announcements just amazes. The cost must be astronomical and is coming out of the taxpayers pool. And the messages are blatant ramping of Liberal Party Policies for the coming election. Yes we have the unions but it is more than offset by the blatant waste of Little Johnny and his team.

And in ballance with Kevin, Johnny picks a remote hospital to help at the last minute, going to solve the indigenous problem at the last minute, suddenly concerned about the environment at the last minute. After 9 years the big stuff now at the last minute. Johnny has proven he wont follow through, Kevin has not, so is worth a try

Hi Duckman,

Why then are you as the tax payer providing perfectly good money towards Australia's participation in the Generation IV advanced nuclear reactor research program if its just scaremongering ?

And did you know that Johnny monobrow now has the United States backing to join the Global Nuclear Energy Partnership (GNEP) and membership of the GNEP could force Australia to establish uranium enrichment plants and accept the world's nuclear waste – on top of the 25 nuclear reactors that Johnny already wants to build.

Not the Australia i want im afraid.

Hi Cruncher

I said that the comment "virtually guarantees a bunch of nuclear reactors in Queensland" was scaremongering. And I stick by that. You're talking about something completely different.

I completely agree in researching nuclear energy and the role it could play in Australia's future. But it doesn't mean I'm voting for nuclear reactors in this election . One vote doesn't have to lead to the other.

You have demonstrated my point precisely - just because the Coalition is discussing the idea of nuclear energy, opponents already have a dozen reactors built (most of them near your backyard).

Duckman

from my point of view, rather labor only annouce intentions rather than detailed policy... plenty of time for that...

not point giving the libs ideas, and then allow them, by virtue of incumbency, to make an half arsed attempts to copy them... (eg the education edowment and the OPEL bush broadband policies... both useless policies simply cause the libs had to show they were doing something about education and broadband... but absolute crap outcomes.

from what i have read, howard in 1996 did the same... i.e no substance....
thats smart politics.

as for the unions, well hawke was ex union, but he started the dismatling of the union movement... Unions taking over the country is as much a scare campaign as nuclear reactors in duckmans backyard!

but heck, alls fair in politics...

Joe Ludwig (AWU)
Arch Bevis (QTU)
Lindsay Tanner (FCU)
Tony Burk (SDAEU)
Chris Evans (MWU)
Alan Griffin (FCU)
Kerry O'Brien (MWU)
Nick Sherry (FLATU)
Kate Lundy (CFMEU)

Doug Cameron (AMWU)
Bill Shorten (AWU)
Richard Marles (TWU).

Of course not."

The way John Howard is looking at present, I'd welcome a switch to Costello. Never thought I'd say that!

Seems like the PM's Work choice ad's are working!
Remember the unions and ACTU are the one's who got employees working conditions that they enjoy today, ie: leave loading, penalty rates, 4 weeks ann leave and so on.
Not really that evil as the PM would like us to think, as we all have at one stage been a employee or still are.
Unions got carried away with the power they had and explioted it and now it is going in the other direction with some employers with the new Work choice laws.
As my young nephews are finding out!

It won't be a "tight" election...far from it. Its called an humiliating LANDSLIDE swing to labor. As if you can call it tight from this bl**dy forum poll, HAHA!!!.

It won't be a "tight" election...far from it. Its called an humiliating LANDSLIDE swing to labor. As if you can call it tight from this bl**dy forum poll, HAHA!!!.
(sigh) Another know it all carper. :rolleyes:

Look, you may be right, it could be a landslide. But things generally tighten up as elections approach in Australia. Frankly, the libs deserve to lose IMNSHO (and I'm traditionally a lib voter).

I'm just saying it might be closer than is seem right now. Just an opinion, if yours differs, fine, state it, but don't be a tosser.