Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Very nice Rain here today

as long as we don't confuse weather with climate...

been a late warm patch in SE Aust .... Not much rain, but then, and along with SW WA, it's classed as a Mediterranean climate, with generally dry hot summers and cool wet winters.

The tropics, they are different

as long as we don't confuse weather with climate...

been a late warm patch in SE Aust .... Not much rain, but then, and along with SW WA, it's classed as a Mediterranean climate, with generally dry hot summers and cool wet winters.

The tropics, they are different
DF just curious what is winter. I can't seem to remember what that is like.

The Trans-Australian Railway line and Eyre Highway, key freight routes running between WA and South Australia through the Nullarbor, have been closed since the weekend with water over roads and railways.

WA Transport Minister Rita Saffioti said the Eyre Highway was expected to reopen around 10am on Wednesday.

More than 155 millimetres of rain has fallen on Rawlinna, 900 kilometres east of Perth, since 9am Friday, while the Bureau of Meteorology has forecast 24-hour totals of up to 130 millimetres for parts of the Goldfields, Eucla and South Interior districts – areas with average annual rainfalls of around 260 millimetres.

A near-stationary trough over south-eastern Western Australia will remain in the area until the middle of the week,” the Bureau of Meteorology said on Tuesday.
Screenshot_20240313-090657_Chrome.jpg

bit of an East coast low forming. ... 108mm here in Sydney overnight.
and another 145mm in 24hrs from 9am Sat.
  • Dombarton (250mm)in the Wollongong LGA
  • Bellambi (195mm) in Wollongong — heaviest rain in 26 years, with 97mm in just one hour

and another 145mm in 24hrs from 9am Sat.
  • Dombarton (250mm)in the Wollongong LGA
  • Bellambi (195mm) in Wollongong — heaviest rain in 26 years, with 97mm in just one hour
In volume and intensity that is serious flooding rain. Not looking flash. Already calls for mass evacuations around Sydney.:(

Last edited:
it's an east cost low.... frequent but unpredictable

As you say an east coast low. We have seen many of them and when I was living in Northern NSW there were regular big rain events.

I believe in 2024 these east coast lows are being impacted by newer extreme weather events which are resulting in larger and even more intense rainfall patterns.

Penrith had 174mm, the highest daily rainfall recorded since 1990 when they started recording.

Penrith had 174mm, the highest daily rainfall recorded since 1990 when they started recording.
Well it saves having to run the desalination plant for another year, but with the increased poulation it will eventually be needed, then there will be a big call of " We told you so". Lol

As you say an east coast low. We have seen many of them and when I was living in Northern NSW there were regular big rain events.

I believe in 2024 these east coast lows are being impacted by newer extreme weather events which are resulting in larger and even more intense rainfall patterns.
when I read "Bellambi (195mm) in Wollongong — heaviest rain in 26 years, with 97mm in just one hour" .. I'd make the fair assumption that it a higher reading was taken 26 years ago.

when I read "Bellambi (195mm) in Wollongong — heaviest rain in 26 years, with 97mm in just one hour" .. I'd make the fair assumption that it a higher reading was taken 26 years ago.
97-98 they had a huge flood. 2 years ago as well I think.
Their council sucks. Bad management of waterways and undersized drainage pipes everywhere.