Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Vanguard - The 7 Trillion Dollar Financial Empire | Jack Bogle Documentary 2023

maybe some extra ideas for the members

Bogle classed himself as a contrarian but are index funds the new normal
The Title should read, "The Seven Trillion dollar empire owned by its customers"

Index Funds should be considered Normal for the majority of people, I do think they have a place in most peoples portfolio.

For me I use them as an insurance policy against me making a bunch of bad decisions, it an easy and cheap way to gain a ship load of diversification. Basically my super and another longterm investment vehicle I use are 100% asx and global index, where its guaranteed to get the market average return, the rest of my capital I manage myself and try and beat the market average, but if I end up under performing the average over time, or blow up at least I have the index investments to fall back on.

For me I use them as an insurance policy against me making a bunch of bad decisions,
as did i in the early stages of my investing adventure

sure i started with VAS and added selected sector indexes later on

but later i put more new money into direct share ( and corporate debt ) investments as my skill-sets were refined

maybe i will buy more index ETFs when the market plummets in the future ( when the tide goes out )

as did i in the early stages of my investing adventure

sure i started with VAS and added selected sector indexes later on

but later i put more new money into direct share ( and corporate debt ) investments as my skill-sets were refined

maybe i will buy more index ETFs when the market plummets in the future ( when the tide goes out )
I was the opposite, I focused on direct investments first early on, but as my portfolio had grown and the numbers I am dealing with have gotten larger, I started looking for a little bit more diversity.

I was the opposite, I focused on direct investments first early on, but as my portfolio had grown and the numbers I am dealing with have gotten larger, I started looking for a little bit more diversity.
i was looking at a ten year time-frame ( before a serious review ) but knew my 'retirement age ' was sooner rather than later ( turned even sooner than i expected )

i realized i had to force growth ( not capital gain ) and 3 monthly divs and DRP participation ticked those boxes nicely

i used the theory diversity is the refuge of the novice , and being a novice , hid some some investment capital there while i watched and learned

it all looks clever now because old norms and logic seem to be abandoned ( in popular investing themes ) ( like investing in capital growth but delayed returns )

i did some direct investments but often in under-loved small caps ( many were actually paying divs ) and resisted heavy bets on micro caps

index funds instead of Treasury Bonds as portfolio insurance made sense to me ( sure personally held gold/silver would have been better , but i didn't think so many governments would take leave of their senses and morals )

1, i was looking at a ten year time-frame ( before a serious review ) but knew my 'retirement age ' was sooner rather than later ( turned even sooner than i expected )
i realized i had to force growth ( not capital gain ) and 3 monthly divs and DRP participation ticked those boxes nicely

2, i used the theory diversity is the refuge of the novice , and being a novice , hid some some investment capital there while i watched and learned

3, it all looks clever now because old norms and logic seem to be abandoned ( in popular investing themes ) ( like investing in capital growth but delayed returns )

i did some direct investments but often in under-loved small caps ( many were actually paying divs ) and resisted heavy bets on micro caps

index funds instead of Treasury Bonds as portfolio insurance made sense to me ( sure personally held gold/silver would have been better , but i didn't think so many governments would take leave of their senses and morals )
1, I started investing pretty early, bought my first shares at 14, and quit working for a pay check at 36. So I have never felt rushed or had to fight the clock for growth.

2, I don’t think diversity and indexes are solely the realm of novices, I consider my self a fairly skilled investor and have built an 8 digit investment portfolio, but I still feel there is a place for diversity in my portfolio, especially if I am trying to manage my finances in a way that it will provide for me for the next 40-60 years.

3, Most people would not consider me very diversified, I have almost 50% of my capital in my favourite holding, and about 40% split between the next 4 biggest holdings.

However about 5% is invested in indexes and this part of the portfolio is growing steadily from the dividends of the other holdings and may one day be my largest holding.

will not be calling myself an experienced investor until i survive the next REAL crash ( whenever that is ) with at least 50% of my current portfolio worth ( shares and fixed interest assets ) real estate values are mostly nominal

not counting property values , my largest holding is about 5% of the portfolio value

i was hoping the BIG crash would be in 2013 so i could use cash-flow to adjust the strategy were needed , not much you can do when a pension is your major cash income ( the divs and mostly being reinvested to resist inflation )