Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Travel Thread

(continuing the journey from #33 above)

The Brasilian town of Tabatinga is some 20 km from Benjamin Constant and on the northern Bank of the Amazon. It is a larger town (it had an airport) and shares a land border with the Colombian outpost of Leticia. From these towns it was possible to continue by boat to Iquitos in Peru or along smaller rivers to the Colombian or even as far as the Ecuadorian Amazon. Leticia had a few thousand people, surrounded by jungle, no roads in or out. But it did have its own airport so we crossed to Colombia ready for our next adventure. This turned out to be a challenge as we'd missed the scheduled weekly flight. Every morning started out fresh but as the heat and humidity built, storms would build and by early afternoon it would be pelting down.

Eventually we heard of a plane out, and paid US$30 each on a cargo flight heading to Bogotá. It was a DC3 that had brought in staples and was returning to the capital with a load of fish. There was room for us, but no seats. We held on to a pole just behind the cockpit, with the door still open and a view straight ahead past the pilots, and off we flew, climbing above the jungle and, after a few hours, heading towards the Cordillera Oriental. After a while thunderheads loomed and we were pitched into a turbulent and noticeably cooler airmass, then into heavy rain. The pilots turned and smiled but soon a stream of water was entering through the leaky windscreen, onto the controls, across the floor, passing us and to the rear where it flowed out the hold doors. It was scary enough but soon we emerged out the other side of the storm and began to drop in altitude. Steep green slopes cut by ravines appeared through the clouds and we approached the intermontane basin. Bogotá, at 2600m, appeared in view and we landed at the international airport, but far from the terminals. Customs and narcotics police approached and an interrogation and search followed, then we were free to go.

Bogota seemed rather decentralised and chaotic. We stayed close to the CBD in a cheap hotel and figured out what next. It was the wet season, cloudy and uninspiring, and sightseeing was not appealing. One highlight, however, was the Museo del Oro, which was outstanding, room after room of pre-Columbian treasures taken from across the continent by the Spanish. The innermost most secure, room was dazzling, packed with gold almost to the ceiling.

Due to insecurity and a fractured political situation, road travel in Colombia was taken during daylight hours, and preferably early in the morning. We found the bus station and found an express some 160km to Villa de Leyva, northeast of the capital. This small town was a well preserved 17-18th Century colonial market town with whitewashed buildings, cobbled streets and a large central plaza. It was quite rustic and untouristed at the time and we were lucky to find a hotel. Next day, a longer trip lasting most of the day took us across the upland basins, the views framed by the cloud-covered eastern Andes, to the provincial capital of to Bucaramanga. We stayed the night close to the bus station and were keen to leave next morning for the Caribbean coast. This was another full day trip as we followed the Ruta del Sol off the higher valleys, dropping to a drier climate and in the rain shadow of the coastal Sierra Nevada with Pico Cristobál over 5000m visible to the east. Santa Marta was one of the first places settled by the Spanish though it has been overshadowed by the larger cities along the coast. A port, there was some evidence of the colonial days but the unspoilt beaches and semi-arid climate have brought tourism as its main focus. We took a hotel and spent a few days exploring the coast and swimming, then hanging around a cabana for drinks and nibbles of an evening.

After a short bus ride to the next city, Barranquilla, which seemed dusty, glitzy and with too much hustle and bustle, so we continued on to Cartagena, another couple of hours along the coast. Founded in 1533 as a principal entry to Spanish South America, the city was sacked by Drake in 1586 as the western seafaring powers fought for control of the rich plunder flowing from further south. With its old walled town and fortress, Cartagena is a spectacular colonial city with cobblestone streets, squares, colourful buildings and a pleasant place to explore. Our hotel was a dive but in keeping with the rundown nature of the city in 1980.

It was time to turn South and we headed for Medellín, a 700km trip taking a full day. First along the coastal plain paralleling the Magdalena Valley then heading inland and up, across ridges and along valleys, and descending to the wide, green and populous valley. Medellín has a fearsome reputation from its drug cartels but was quiet and industrious when we visited. And it was modern and wealthy, very different to almost all South American cities I've visited. We didn't stay long and, after resting a day, went another 420km to Cali. The road followed broad valleys but as we pushed deeper into the Cordillera, we moved across cols and higher passes, followed ravines, twisted and turned past isolated settlements. Some valleys appeared to have a high African population, runaway slaves we were informed, others were gritty European dirt farmers; as we went South, the local indigenous groups, Indios, became more common. Cali was charming, we found a dilapidated centuries old hotel, wooden balconies, high ceilings, musty rooms. Perfect, at $5 a night, but when we settled the bill a few days later we discovered we'd been overcharged. We were offered a ride onward, and made it almost to Popayán but had to hitchhike the last 50km along the Cauca valley. Our ride was aghast, "muy peligroso", they said, but we made it safely.

Popayán at 1700m was another colonial timewarp with its Plaza des Armas, whitewashed buildings, ostentatious churches, and passagio in the evening around the central part of town. Later that night was a different story as we heard gunshots, then the restaurant bar were in was raided. It was rather tense and everyone present, nearly all males, produced a piece, a pistol or sidearm, which they placed on the tables. The Guardia told us to go to our hotel. Next day, another 250km by bus, down a winding road (the Pan-American Highway), higher into the mountains, to Pasto, which at 2500m high had a volcano as a distant backdrop. The population was majority Indio, and Spanish was less commonly heard. We'd been on the road for several weeks and with only short breaks, so it was time to get to the Ecuadoran capital. The border town of Ipiales, some 85 km S of Pasto was easily crossed and a few more hours on a bus brought us to Quito.

After being off the tourist trail for several months, Quito was a welcome change. We stayed at a 'gringo' hotel near the well-preserved historic city centre. We relaxed for a few days, swapping stories and shooting the breeze with other travelers/ backpackers. No, not tourists, but Europeans, North Americans, Aussies on the road for a few months or six. With a well-defined route, it was quite common to bump into the same people several times along the way. There were expatriates, missionaries, hippies and counter-culture types in the mix as well, but our paths tended to cross less, and for shorter periods. One day, after planning it the night before over beers, a group decided Pichincha, the mountain behind the city and an active volcano, was worth a climb. With Quito at 2850m and the peak about 4780m, it was considered achievable but not easy. The peak turned out to be elusive, and was in fact two, so by mid afternon we turned back. Night came too soon and the last few hours had us stumbling over rocks then through the upper barrios in the dark, getting to the hotel after 9pm. The newspapers were full of news of the Santa Helena eruption in the USA. It took many months for me to call it Mt St Helens. Living on their own ring of fire, the Andean nations are very conscious of their fragile existence. The other danger often mentioned was terrimoto, earthquake.

After a week or so, stocking up on English books, hanging around cafes like Hojas de Hierba, we headed south to Ambato then made the first, of many, scary trips on narrow unsealed winding roads carved into the sides of steep, unstable mountains, for a side trip to Baños and the Aguas Calientes. Known as one of the gateways to the Amazon, we took the waters then traveled further along the road, past plunging waterfalls and increasingly lush vegetation but decided to turn back after seeing the jungle stretch out before and below us. Returning to the PanAm highway, we continued south along the Andean spine. This region is known as the Avenue of the Volcanoes, with Cotopaxi, Chimborazo, Sangay and several others lining the route. The weather was fine and the views magnificent, so we got off the Guayaquil-bound bus, to take a series of rides along the intermontane basins and arrived in Cuenca, at 2500m and the third largest city in Ecuador and with a beautiful and well-preserved colonial centre. The region is well known as a centre for artisans, who make hats, shoes, textiles and souvenirs. We ventured to some of the surrounding villages where so-called Panama hats are made; I bought one.

From Cuenca, we continued south, missed the highway turn-off to Tumbes in Peru and, rather than backtrack, continued to Loja and then Catamayo, which are pleasant small cities nestled in green valleys. Directions to continue on were vague, and we headed for Macará in the far south of the country. We had dropped in elevation, the countryside was noticeably drier as we traveled on. Peru was ahead, 'siga no más ' as they say, but there was no official border crossing. Off the last route-taxi, we walked through a dusty village, across a dried creek bed and up a bank into Peru. Two kilometres on, we came to a hamlet, asked directions and found a local bus that was heading for Suyo, where the town jefe said to go to Sullana, on the coastal plain and the provincial capital, and complete registration there. We had well and truly left the fertile high country and followed a river through an increasingly arid landscape. Then the valley widened out, and the river flats were sparklingly green where irrigated. In Sullana, no-one was surprised about our entry route into Peru and were given tourist visas, and went to change money.

Last edited:
Impressive Donna crossing into Peru through Macará I crossed at Huaquillas total **** fight.

After being off the tourist trail for several months, Quito was a welcome change. We stayed at a 'gringo' hotel near the well-preserved historic city centre. We relaxed for a few days, swapping stories and shooting the breeze with other travelers/ backpackers. No, not tourists, but Europeans, North Americans, Aussies on the road for a few months or six. With a well-defined route, it was quite common to bump into the same people several times along the way. There were expatriates, missionaries, hippies and counter-culture types in the mix as well, but our paths tended to cross less, and for shorter periods. One day, after planning it the night before over beers, a group decided Pichincha, the mountain behind the city and an active volcano, was worth a climb. With Quito at 2850m and the peak about 4780m, it was considered achievable but not easy. The peak turned out to be elusive, and was in fact two, so by mid afternon we turned back. Night came too soon and the last few hours had us stumbling over rocks then through the upper barrios in the dark, getting to the hotel after 9pm. The newspapers were full of news of the Santa Helena eruption in the USA. It took many months for me to call it Mt St Helens. Living on their own ring of fire, the Andean nations are very conscious of their fragile existence. The other danger often mentioned was terrimoto, earthquake.

After a week or so, stocking up on English books, hanging around cafes like Hojas de Hierba, we headed south to Ambato then made the first, of many, scary trips on narrow unsealed winding roads carved into the sides of steep, unstable mountains, for a side trip to Baños and the Aguas Calientes. Known as one of the gateways to the Amazon, we took the waters then traveled further along the road, past plunging waterfalls and increasingly lush vegetation but decided to turn back after seeing the jungle stretch out before and below us. Returning to the PanAm highway, we continued south along the Andean spine. This region is known as the Avenue of the Volcanoes, with Cotopaxi, Chimborazo, Sangay and several others lining the route. The weather was fine and the views magnificent, so we got off the Guayaquil-bound bus, to take a series of rides along the intermontane basins and arrived in Cuenca, at 2500m and the third largest city in Ecuador and with a beautiful and well-preserved colonial centre. The region is well known as a centre for artisans, who make hats, shoes, textiles and souvenirs. We ventured to some of the surrounding villages where so-called Panama hats are made; I bought one.

From Cuenca, we continued south, missed the highway turn-off to Tumbes in Peru and, rather than backtrack, continued to Loja and then Catamayo, which are pleasant small cities nestled in green valleys. Directions to continue on were vague, and we headed for Macará in the far south of the country. We had dropped in elevation, the countryside was noticeably drier as we traveled on. Peru was ahead, 'siga no más ' as they say, but there was no official border crossing. Off the last route-taxi, we walked through a dusty village, across a dried creek bed and up a bank into Peru. Two kilometres on, we came to a hamlet, asked directions and found a local bus that was heading for Suyo, where the town jefe said to go to Sullana, on the coastal plain and the provincial capital, and complete registration there. We had well and truly left the fertile high country and followed a river through an increasingly arid landscape. Then the valley widened out, and the river flats were sparklingly green where irrigated. In Sullana, no-one was surprised about our entry route into Peru and were given tourist visas, and went to change money.
If you had photo's of you're travels, I'm sure you could put together a best seller, amazing stuff, really 'boys own' travels.

When you consider what happened to the two Aussie brothers in Mexico, it really puts it in context.
A couple of my mates did a trip from Brazil and then onward via bus through South America they were robbed at gunpoint on the bus, so it is just amazing your journey and really it is a memory worth sharing.

The wife and I are doing a 51 day trip around South America from December 1st, I'm sure it wont be any ware as thrilling as yours.

But it has been great reading your memories, please keep jotting them down, it will be something you will cherish later.

If you had photo's of you're travels, I'm sure you could put together a best seller, amazing stuff, really 'boys own' travels.

When you consider what happened to the two Aussie brothers in Mexico, it really puts it in context.
A couple of my mates did a trip from Brazil and then onward via bus through South America they were robbed at gunpoint on the bus, so it is just amazing your journey and really it is a memory worth sharing.

The wife and I are doing a 51 day trip around South America from December 1st, I'm sure it wont be any ware as thrilling as yours.

But it has been great reading your memories, please keep jotting them down, it will be something you will cherish later.

Given the detail recon Donna has already a decent jornal or a hell of a memory. :)

Where are you headed SP?

glad people are enjoying the journey.

I've always enjoyed maps.. Pored over the Readers Digest World Atlas as a youngster. I can visualise a landscape in 3D from a map. I'm not eidetic, but have good sense of direction, rarely get lost.

Google maps helps to reconstruct the journey, put distances between the vignettes.

Add a wanderlust / restlessness, and off I went.🌎🌍🌏🌐🚗🚄🚂🚴‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂

... (more to come)

Where are you headed SP?
Just continuing the wife's bucket list.
Cruise from Singapore to LA via Japan, rent a car for a couple of weeks in Utah, Nevada, then back to LA and catch a cruise around South America.
There are about 20 port calls around South America, hopefully they are interesting.

Utah, Nevada,
Zion N. P. is somewhere in that area . The hike up to Angel's Landing takes a lot out of you , especially in winter , but oh what a view . It was there , I think I understood why most yanks don't have passports ! Beauty all around . Right there in their own back yard . No wonder they fly the flag outside their homes . Patriotism is a very real thing for them . ( Don't see much of here , though . )

Zion N. P. is somewhere in that area . The hike up to Angel's Landing takes a lot out of you , especially in winter , but oh what a view . It was there , I think I understood why most yanks don't have passports ! Beauty all around . Right there in their own back yard . No wonder they fly the flag outside their homes . Patriotism is a very real thing for them . ( Don't see much of here , though . )
Yes the plan is LA fly to Vegas, pick up the car, then Grand canyon, Monument Valley, Bryce and then Zion, back to Vegas drop off car fly to LA pick up second cruise.
Fingers crossed the plan works. 🤞

Good point, my Spanish sucked as much as my English BTW. :)
Google indicates it means something like, "bearing gifts", in Latin. But hey, with a handle like that, for all I know maybe the intrepid traveller is in fact the proverbial hot Filipina babe who weighs 45 kilos dripping wet.

Google indicates it means something like, "bearing gifts", in Latin. But hey, with a handle like that, for all I know maybe the intrepid traveller is in fact the proverbial hot Filipina babe who weighs 45 kilos dripping wet.
for da record Virgil in his Aeneid has the lines
timeo danaos et dona ferentes
which translates as
Beware of Greeks bearing gifts

The Humboldt Current flows northward along the western coast of South America and limits rainfall in the coastal regions; the Atacama in Chile and the Nazca / Sechura deserts in Peru are some of the driest places on earth. The cold waters are laden with nutrients so fishing is a major industry but the land is arid, treeless brown rocky desert except when rivers flowing from the cordillera cut through to the coast and some agriculture is possible. We headed south, through Piura to Chiclayo, another regional centre and pleasant enough in the city centre with parks and a range of accommodation. After overnighting, we took a bus heading inland. Following a river, we were soon climbing up; the valley became tighter and impassable so the road would trace along ridgelines, a series of switches until the land opened out. Ascending, it became greener and there were villages and towns along the way, centres servicing the local population scattered across the slopes. Between 1000m and a bit above 3200m, the climate is clement and, where gently sloping, the land offers some fertility. Then we climbed higher, above the treeline before cutting across to a saddle. Like most Andean passes, this one went to close to 4000m before dropping down, again on a twisting narrow dangerous road, to an intermontane valley, green and well settled. In reality we had only made it across the precursor to the cordillera with the main range still ahead, which was ahead but covered in cloud. We made Bambamarca by late afternoon and found something to eat after getting a room for the night. Next day, to the bus station, find a seat on a bus, hopefully an express, and on to Cajamarca, at 2700m, the biggest town for miles around. Around the main square, the Plaza des Armas, were baroque colonial buildings and an imposing cathedral but the rest of the town was drab. I have a distinct memory of going into a bank to change money and even there not feeling safe. I carried travellers cheques, US notes and passport in a money belt inside my jeans; reaching to access it, I felt a crowd press in on me. Was nowhere safe? We decamped in haste and looked for a better option.

Looking at the map, the choices were to continue through the high valleys or return to the coast, make some distance south then reascend. We decided to get a bus to Trujillo on the coast so it was another cramped trip up over the western range, again reaching 4000m before the hairy run down. On occasions, the Pacific Ocean was visible away in the far distance and well below us. A university town, Trujillo was pleasant. I met a guy, a Yugoslav, who had migrated there in the '60s. He was despairing, living in a two room shack with his family and with little opportunity for betterment, especially for his rather pretty teenage daughter. He said he was offered Australia as an option for migration but chose Peru as it was 'closer to Europe'. We did go to the Saturday dance with them, and kicked on into the night. Next day we made a side trip a few km north to Chan Chan, an archeological site from the long gone Chimu culture where a small city of adobe temples, palaces, dwellings and storehouses have survived in the arid climate. The following day, we went to Huaca de la Luna, 8 km S, which was large temple structure built in the 8th Century by the Moché civilisation. It was there we met John Hemming, a noted explorer, researcher and author on pre-Colombian Inca societies. He was impressed we were carrying one of his books.

We travelled to Chimbote before heading up again, to Yungay, another full day's travel to achieve maybe 250km. Crossing the western range, the Cordillera Negra and passing as high as 4000m, we were rewarded with sweeping views of the basin across to the Cordillera Blanca, with Peru's highest peaks, Alpamayo, Nevado Pisco, the twin peaks of Huascarán at 6760m, Hualcan and a series of others stretching to the south. At Yungay, some twenty thousand people died and the town was nearly completely wiped out by an avalanche of ice following an earthquake only 10 years prior. The old town was a rubble field and the landscape scarred. We continued down the callejón to Huaraz, a substantial city and at 3000m; again earthquake damage had taken out much of the old city and rebuilding was incomplete. The guide book mentioned picturesque emerald-green lakes high amongst the peaks and were told there were local buses that went to the high villages. So, the next day we boarded one and went off, eventually being dropped in some dirt-poor hardscrabble place with no amenities. We bought some biscuits and set off, up the boulder strewn landscape towards a lake, pretty as a picture, surrounded by imposing snowy mountains. But the weather was closing in, the views disappeared, and the wind picked up. It was midafternoon as we headed back and were becoming anxious. then a car appeared on the track and we flagged it down. in my best, formal Spanish I respectfully requested a ride back, off the mountain. "Puede ser", a most welcome reply but somewhat tersely delivered, was enough and in we piled. It started sleeting soon after.

Next day we were back, on yet another dangerous sinuous unsealed road to the coast, superb views and dramatic, vertiginous drops and the occasional encounter with another vehicle, buses or trucks but hardly ever cars, on bends, at which time and according to some protocol I never learned, one vehicle backed up and made enough space for the other to crawl past. We made it to the coast, found a hotel at Barranca and looked at where next. The entire coast hosts a series of pre-Colombian sites, of archeological interest but usually incomplete. We stopped at some, not others as we continued south. Then a stroke of luck; at Bandurria, a settlement site thousands of years old, we met an English guy and got chatting. He offered us a lift to Lima, some 150km south, which we accepted, and off we went. It turned out he was a banker for BoLSA, doing his tour. We stayed in his penthouse apartment for a week, did the sights of the capital and Callao, scrubbed up, ate well and enjoyed his hospitality. Most importantly, we visited Poste Restante to collect mail and the Australian Embassy, to read the newspapers from home.

Did the Trujillo to Huaraz via Chimbote trip, bus ride was terrifying at times got mobbed by a group of university girls from Trujillo at the hotel next day ended up going up to a glacier at 5,500 mt then partied into the night afterwards woke up with the worlds biggest hangover due to the altitude.

A German was shot dead by robbers in the area when we arrived.

Although only 12 degrees South, due to the ocean current, Lima was cold and grey with the morning fog often lingering well past noon. We'd eaten well, on ceviche and empanadas, and it was time to continue. My partner was tired of ground travel, long days in uncomfortable buses, and she booked a flight to Cuzco. I took the train, a spectacular trip to Huancayo; it took a full day and traversed the coastal ranges crossing a high point of 4780m. The next day was by bus to Ayacucho, some 260km over some impressively rugged roads. The third day was a longer trip, nearly 570km by bus to Cuzco, at 3400m. This was truly exhilarating and tiring in equal measure and took all day. I remember one vista from a vantage point with a deep valley ahead and the road winding its way up the distant slope. It looked close in the mountain air but took about three hours to reach the point I'd observed earlier. We met again at the pre-arranged hotel and I looked forward to some rest. Cuzco is justifiably famous for its Inca stonework, the huge interlocking blocks that have survived centuries. The Spanish buildings on top seemed tacky and insubstantial in comparison. After a few days, we took a train for a couple of hours to Ollantaytambo and then, dropping down the Urubamba River, another hour to Aguas Calientes, where it was possible to find a room. Next morning, up early, we crossed the river then a steep 500m climb up a series of switchbacks to Macchu Pichu, the renowned Inca sanctuary. The setting, high on a saddle between two peaks and with views down two deeply incised valleys, is truly spectacular, as is the sense of attainment of making it this far, deep in the Andes and not far from the lowland jungles. Only a few other tourists had stayed in the town so we had the place to ourselves until the day-trippers arrived mid morning. After crawling all over the site, to the terraces, the city gate, the temples and tombs and on to the main square, I did the 2 hour climb up the sugarloaf mountain that frames the site. We returned to the station in time to catch the afternoon train out.

From Cuzco we travelled southwest, out of the rugged ranges and across the altiplano and transitioned from Quechua to Aymara indigenous language regions. After Juliaca, a large city, we went on to Puno, a smaller town on the shores of Lake Titicaca. At an altitude of 3812m, the lake is vast, set in a basin and surrounded by distant mountains. After the green, rugged and often rainy cordillera, there is a feeling of openness, big blue skies, no trees. It was possible to cross the lake by ferry but we stayed on the western shore and travelled first to the Bolivian border at Desaguadero then west for the final 100 km to La Paz. The approach across the altiplano is quite amazing; with the massive snowy peak of Illimani, 6430m high, visible beyond, there is little indication of the city apart from increased settlement around El Alto and the airport, then what seems like a huge gash across the landscape reveals itself as a scarp, and what was a flat road at around 4050m drops away to zigzag down to the city. The sprawl covers the steep slopes of a broad canyon; whilst the older city centre is notionally at 3650m, urbanisation has pushed lower and unlike many large cities, the more affluent residents live in the lower areas with the poor in shacks built on the higher slopes. The military presence was conspicuous around the administrative and government buildings; Bolivia had a history of coups, a succession of generals taking power if only for a year or two.

Having arrived in Santiago at the start of this trip the next leg of my round-the-world ticket was to Rio whereas my partner had already used that portion. We decided to split up, and found the best way to Rio for her was from Cochabamba, either 3 days by bus or a 3 hour flight. We travelled to this Bolivian city, in the heart of a coca growing region, by bus, and found a cheap flight. I returned to the altiplano, to Oruro set among the salty lakes, the salars. Staying in the high country, I travelled to Potosi, the city built around the fabled Cerro Rico silver mine. The colonial centre and national mint was well preserved but much of the surrounding city was impoverished, an exhausted mining town with little alternative economy. Another bus ride, across a wide barren expanse to Uyuni, as bleak and desperate a place as any I've visited. Of course this has probably changed recently as the salars are known to contain one of the world's largest lithium resources. But in 1980, the town was impoverished, remote, full of abandoned rusty mining and railway equipment, but strangely beautiful with the vast white salt lakes rimmed by distant mountains and a piercingly blue sky. It was, however, the departure point for the railway to northern Chile. I had to wait a few days for the weekly train and when it arrived, customs and passport control was done at the station and the train set off for Antofagasta, on the Pacific coast and 610 km to the SW. Some 300km on, and still at 3700m we crossed the border at Ollagüe where there was a 2 hour wait. Passing through the upper Atacama, around the mining town of Calama, the barren land revealed browns, purples and oranges, colours associated with rich oxidised mineralisation. I found a hotel in Antofagasta and went to the cinema, to be surprised by two Aussie movies, some anodyne angst ridden self examination, long forgotten, and Mad Max. What a blast. Edge of the seat excitement.

The other change, apart from being at sea level, was the language. From the clear and slow Castellano of the Andean states often spoken as a second language by the locals, Chilean Spanish was like Glaswegian, at least for a few days until the ear adapted. Santiago was 1330 km away on the Pan American Highway, and it was time to go, in intercity buses that were luxurious compared to before. The route tracked the coast, sometimes inland a bit and sometimes wedged between cliffs and the sea on a narrow strip of land. At one point, and I like to look out at the passing scenery, I was startled as a huge shape passed across in front of us, flying in along the cliffline. It was a condor. Huge. So unexpected and awesome. The road cut inland, a landscape still brown and empty but starting to green up as we went South. Then back to the coast, to the beachside city of La Serena. I'd done a full day and the capital was less than 500kms south, so I found a room. Next morning, bright and early, off again, along the coast and into the pleasant fertile central valley for the last leg of my circumnavigation of the continent. I made it in time to get to a travel agent, found a Varig flight the next afternoon to Rio and marvelled at the modernity of Santiago. How sophisticated it seemed after the other Latin American capitals and to think that a year ago my initial impression was it was third world!

We reconnected in Rio, booked a flight to Europe then spent a few days at the beaches and in lanchonettes. Madrid was cold, we found a pension and next day read that John Lennon had been shot. We spent few days in cafes, eating well and at museums; the Prado is superb, rooms full of works by Goya, Velasquez, El Greco. A highlight for me was Hieronymus Bosch. Then home, after almost a year on the road. Including the around the world ticket, total spend was under $5000 each, or around $10-12 a day.

Fiji 23 Dec 1979 -> Chile 26 Dec -> Argentina 01 Jan 1980 -> Brasil 24 Jan -> Colombia 30 Jun -> Ecuador 30 Jul -> Peru 16 Sept -> Bolivia 06 Nov -> Chile 22 Nov -> Brasil 27 Nov -> Spain 07 Dec -> Australia 13 Dec 1980

Last edited: